The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

So dang, okay, The Fall of Hearts, The Great Mass, and The Sham Mirrors are sitting in my Amazon cart thing.

Oh, Windrider, totally forgot to mention it last time, but you should definitely check out The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus as well. Phenomenal progressive metal album, with elements of avant-garde, symphonic and black metal. Has a great dark ethereal atmosphere and great compositions. Their keyboardist is a classically trained pianist, and they make great use of his talents.

I should ask - and bring it over from the other topic - I have Mastodon's Leviathan, and it's pretty great, so how does Crack the Skye compare?

Crack the Skye is less heavy and a lot more proggy, with long and winding songs. Still fairly heavy and has the same great riffing and other general Mastodon goodness, but goes for more of an ethereal feel (since conceptually it's supposed to represent the element of aether). Personally, Crack the Skye is by far my favourite Mastodon album.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

it's more expensive but I would recommend the CD/DVD digibook edition of The Fall of Hearts if possible. beautiful packaging and the bonus track "Vakaren" is one of my favorite songs on the album.

Oh nice, I saw that! Usually I'm pretty wary of bonus tracks, and like to get editions without them when possible, but this could be an exception.

Katatonia is pretty renown for the high quality of most of their B-sides and bonus tracks, a lot of which have become fan-favorite songs. "Unfurl", for example, was a B-side on the "July" single and it's one of their most popular songs which they play live on occasion.

if you decide to get anything else by them, in pretty much every case I'd honestly recommend going for a version with bonus tracks. the various reissues and 10th anniversary editions are the way to go, with the exception of their first album which just has some demo tracks as bonuses.

if you want to get their album The Great Cold Distance at any point (it's my personal favorite of theirs), I'd wait until later in the year as they're supposed to be reissuing it for its 10th anniversary sometime soon. the reissue will undoubtedly include "Unfurl", which as mentioned before, is pretty much a must-have.

• 1 month later...

popping in to express my frustration at the news that Dirk Verbeuren has left Soilwork to join friggin Megadeth. what a massive waste of talent.

aw jeez

i wish dave didnt suck all the life out of his drummers playing

no pun intended, i totally did not mean that cuz of...you know, nick menza...

just...megadeth smothers good drummers and i dont know why but i feel like its daves fault

only in dreams.

Oh Megadeth's drumming isn't that bad.

Anyway, I just got around to listening to The Book of Souls album from last year and I'm loving it.

And aside from The Unguided, Anthrax, and Megadeth, I haven't really heard many new albums from this year, any recommendations?

Also new Evergrey single coming out on July 28th and new album in September (pretty excited)

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Oh Megadeth's drumming isn't that bad.

nah it's pretty mediocre, especially since Dave does (as Johnny Truant said) have a tendency to hold the other members back.

either way though: Dirk Verbeuren is simply too good for them. he's one of the most highly acclaimed, technically proficient and talented drummers in all of metal right now and he was allowed to shine in Soilwork. his playing style is simply too complex and too different for Megadeth's songwriting. unless they completely rewrite the drum parts for the bulk of their material to accommodate his playing, he will be held back and that's an absolute waste of talent.

as for 2016 releases: check out The Fall of Hearts by Katatonia, Arktis by Ihsahn, Terminal Redux by Vektor, Ursa by Novembre, Seraphical Euphony by Hyperion, and Magma by Gojira.

New Epica song released recently. Definitely worth checking out. I personally find them to be the best group in the symphonic metal genre and one of the few to actually live up to the metal expectation and not just noodle around with the orchestral arrangements.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

yeah the new single was surprisingly solid which got me revisiting them. dug out my old copy of Greatest Hits Vol. 1, realized how fun so many of the songs were, ended up buying copies of the self-titled, Follow the Leader, and Issues for $3 each

also pre-ordered the new album since it's currently $3.99 on Google Play and I had some leftover credit from Google Opinion Rewards surveys

Edited by Scythey

Allegaeon released a new song featuring Björn "Speed" Strid, accompanied by a very amusing playthrough video. I'll be honest, their past stuff did nothing for me, but this song is actually pretty killer (and not just because I'm a Strid fangirl). I'll be checking out their new album for sure.

also the new Devy song is definitely good. here's hoping Transcendence is better than Epicloud and Sky Blue, both of which have worn off me pretty hard tbh

oooooh deals, nice

the breakdown in kill you is currently my favorite thing

all the seasick guitar noise and jon gettin scary with it

fieldy and silvera holdin down that punishing groove

out of curiosity, which of their albums do you like/which are your favorites? I know fan opinion is divided up into like a billion different sections as to when they started sucking, whether their later stuff is any good, etc.

like I stated previously, I dig everything through Untouchables. everything after that ranges from mediocre (Take a Look in the Mirror) to downright garbage (The Path of Totality) in my opinion.

Edited by Scythey

s/t and life is peachy are g.o.a.t, follow the leader has some classics but i presonally just dont like it as much as the first two, plus it loses points for wasting a great riff on that piece of garbage All In The Family (although its pretty funny that jon had to help fred durst with his verses so he didnt get completely humiliatingly destroyed, even tho jon still won cuz its their cd)

not really a fan of issues, cept for falling away from me and dirty

after that ive only really dug individual songs, like yall want a single (whatever thats from) or twisted transistor

after take a look in the mirror i cant really say anything cuz i never bothered with em that much but from what ive heard of them untitled an alright cd, korn 3 isnt awful, path of totality is trash, paradigm shift doesnt do much for me honestly

this new single got me excited tho

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

Issues is one of my favorites tbh, probably second after the self-titled. I thought it was an improvement over Follow the Leader (which was kinda hit-or-miss for me as well) and really liked the darker, more textured sound they tried for. I think Untouchables is pretty underrated for the same reason.

Life Is Peachy is honestly my least favorite of the first five albums. the band said it was rushed and it really shows imo. performances aren't as tight and my god if it doesn't have some of the worst lyrics Jonathan Davis has ever put to paper.

The Agony Scene have finally given us an update. despite being completely silent for over a year, they're still together and have been working on writing new songs for an EP which they'll be recording soon. I'll admit, I'm a little sad that their promise of a "new album" has turned into a "new EP", but still, it's better than nothing at all.

• Upvote 1

peachy has some god awful songs, but overall its still my favorite just because of how raw and angry and loose it is

i guess im drawn to it because i hear punk rock roots through a nu-metal filter

if only the s/t had peachys production (not saying the production is bad on the s/t cuz its excellent, especially the drums and bass, but the guitars are just too muddy sometimes)

only in dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Williams from The Agony Scene did a 2-hour interview with the Camp Metal podcast to discuss the past, present, and future of the band. it's a really interesting interview, lots of great band history and cool stories, but I took some notes on some of the important stuff regarding their new material:

- drummer Brent Masters has left again, they've found a replacement; Mike, Chris Emmons, and Brian Hodges are the band's principle songwriters so lineup changes will not affect the sound

- new music is more "straightforward metal" as opposed to metalcore; he described it as "black-thrash", "like the faster parts of The Darkest Red but with more of the feel of the self-titled"

- lyrics will be more topical and political akin to Get Darned

- they don't have much of a plan beyond the new EP, it pretty much depends on the reception and whether there's interest, they'd like to tour if possible

- says they hope to have some material recorded that they can share by the end of the year

surprisingly no talk about label or funding stuff. I imagine they'll do a crowdfunding campaign of some sort, but I'm still holding onto the hope they'll get signed to a new label. Napalm is one I've thought would be a good fit, they've signed a bunch of reunited bands from the 2000s over the past couple years.

• Upvote 1

dang, that's a great price. mine was about $25 including shipping

speaking of Swedish (former) melodic death metal bands..

new In Flames album, Battles, was announced. first single "The End" was released and it's.. better than anything off of Siren Charms, but still not great. most distressingly of all is that it was produced by Howard Benson, AKA the guy who brought us bands like Daughtry, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, and Creed. not exactly promising.

• 3 weeks later...

new Devin Townsend Project album is super good

what's everybody been listening to? it's a bit premature since autumn doesn't officially start till later this month but I'm already starting on my black metal/doom metal/gothic metal kick that's customary around this time of year. in particularly been listening to a lot of Celtic Frost, Triptykon, Darkthrone, Agalloch, and Code this past week

dang, that's a great price. mine was about $25 including shipping

speaking of Swedish (former) melodic death metal bands..

new In Flames album, Battles, was announced. first single "The End" was released and it's.. better than anything off of Siren Charms, but still not great. most distressingly of all is that it was produced by Howard Benson, AKA the guy who brought us bands like Daughtry, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, and Creed. not exactly promising.

oh geez

is theory of a deadman still a band

ive been listening to copious amounts of alice in chains. not exactly metal but one of the heavier grunge bands for sure 

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

eh, I've always considered Alice in Chains metal. they were more metal than grunge tbh

their last two albums in particular were pretty much full-on sludge metal

also, Theory of a Deadman is unfortunately still a band, and I hate you for making me google to check

Edited by Scythey