The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

i mean i'm totally chill with people making fun of what i like. it's just music, in the end it's not that important. plus i'd be incredibly hypocritical if i got mad at people for hating what i like considering i make fun of what just about everyone else in this topic listens to.

Most people fail to understand this, sadly. In fact I just had a four hour arguement (well not really an arguement, but you get me) with my mother about why Guns 'N' Roses are boring and over-rated after she informed me that all metal spawned from them and that they were revolutionary for the time. I then proceeded to play her some technical death, followed by some Devourment and four certain songs (you know which ones I mean) off of Tomb Of The Mutilated. Should have seen her face, haha. It was pretty funny though. :P Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

i think that's fine as long as they aren't rude about it. i don't mind people liking bands i hate like Asking Alexandria and Bring Me The Horizon, but when you start being a schmuck about it is where i draw the line. also suiside silence is totally a metal band, regardless of whether or not you like them. i will agree that the word brutal in regards to anything deathcore needs to be erased, that word just sucks now.

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

I like a little deathcore, and some are pretty metal, but the truth is that the majority are not. Liking the music = fine. Pretending it and you are something you are not = posing; that I cannot stand.Oh, and calling deathcore "brutal" is like calling Anaal Nathrakh "melodic." :P

Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

lol tool is badthere's a lot of metal out there these days that is mostly annoying. most of the "brutal" stuff people refer to usually. it's just a constant, structureless mess of random riffs, chugs, and sweeps, and the vocals are just some guy growling some graphic, pseudo-poetic blabber. it all mashes together and just sounds the same, as if there's no difference between any of the bands. why this is all becoming more popular is beyond me.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I like a little deathcore, and some are pretty metal, but the truth is that the majority are not.

facepalm1.jpgBad metal is still metal. There are no degrees of metal, nothing is 'pretty metal'. It's either metal or it's not, and deathcore is. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically make it not metal.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I like a little deathcore, and some are pretty metal, but the truth is that the majority are not.

Bad metal is still metal. There are no degrees of metal, nothing is 'pretty metal'. It's either metal or it's not, and deathcore is. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically make it not metal.
Funny that, I was always under the impression that deathcore was a fusion genre of death metal and/or metalcore and hardcore punk, and to my knowledge, punk is not metal, so if these deathcore bands focused more on the punk than the metal, it would make them a punk band with metal influences, no? Wow, that was complicated. -_- And I never said my dislike of it does not make it metal; I do not like Anthrax either but I do not run around calling them posers. The majority of these trendcore bands are, however. Notice how I said majority? I am aware that some play very good music and have good intentions, but most deathcore is a load of generic bull, something which -fan or not- yo uhave to admit.

sykurafire.jpg

I'm just saying that most of them do focus on the metal part. there are a few i can make a case for being more punk than metal (Emmure, Winds Of Plague, and Attila), but even Suiside Silence is basically Cannibal Corpse but with breakdowns.when you say "punk with metal influences" i think of stuff along the lines of The Chariot, Stray From The Path, and Converge who would fit that description perfectly, but most deathcore really doesn't.also you guys are gonna call me insane and probably disagree with me but Attack Attack!'s new album is pretty decent. Calab has some awesome clean vocals imo and i'm a sucker for djent so there's that.

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

I'm just saying that most of them do focus on the metal part. there are a few i can make a case for being more punk than metal (Emmure, Winds Of Plague, and Attila), but even Suiside Silence is basically Cannibal Corpse but with breakdowns.when you say "punk with metal influences" i think of stuff along the lines of The Chariot, Stray From The Path, and Converge who would fit that description perfectly, but most deathcore really doesn't.also you guys are gonna call me insane and probably disagree with me but Attack Attack!'s new album is pretty decent. Calab has some awesome clean vocals imo and i'm a sucker for djent so there's that.

Most deathcore I have heard is -like I said- more punk than metal. Most of the deathcore bands that are "more metal" generally have a load of distortion and harsher vocals. I can sometimes pick up the Suffocation-like breakdowns, but eh. Taking into consideration that I do not like deathcore, I am probably being overly critical but hey! There is a reason as to why most metalheads dislike deathcore you know. Oh and I hope you realise that comparing Suicide Silence to Cannibal Corpse would get you torn limb from limb at a CC show, haha.And I think that "insane" would be an understatement. :P

sykurafire.jpg

honestly i don't think most metalheads hate deathcore, it's more a vocal minority, with said minority being internet metal nerds who get butthurt over the smallest things. granted if you just don't like the music that's alright but i don't understand why they care so much about it "not being metal". i don't know why i even care some much about claiming it is metal (via being a hypocrite). i mean i'm the resident -core advocate so i'm really biased as well.yeah i was honestly really surprised at how much i liked This Means War. they're basically a different band now. they dropped the stupid interludes and the god awful auto-tuned sections. the choruses are still poppy but now that Caleb sings them they shine rather than annoy. they're still trend-hopping and all, but i enjoyed this outing way more than the previous two albums.

nhsYE.jpg

So i got Nightwish's Imaginaerum today... it's decent so far, but "Scaretale" has to be the oddest thing they're ever done. Ever.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

honestly i don't think most metalheads hate deathcore, it's more a vocal minority, with said minority being internet metal nerds who get butthurt over the smallest things. granted if you just don't like the music that's alright but i don't understand why they care so much about it "not being metal". i don't know why i even care some much about claiming it is metal (via being a hypocrite). i mean i'm the resident -core advocate so i'm really biased as well.

Eh, most of the "metalheads" I know are either the stereotypical arrogant trendcore emo haircut, girls jeans kind of people. But there is a few into thrash/traditional/speed and the like.To be honest, the main reason I dislike it is due to the fact that most deathcore is genuinely bad music -- although I think black metal has shown us what happens to posers, haha.Anyway, on the subject of black metal, I have been on a binge recently. Any suggestions? (I am after the full-on Satanic corpse-paint Scandinavian stuff, just so you know.I already like: 1349, Acheron, Agalloch, All The Cold, Anaal Nathrakh, Azaghal, Bathory, Behemoth, Beherit, Behexen, Black Altar, Black Funeral, Blut Aus Nord, Burzum, Carpathian Forest, Crebain, Dark Funeral, Darkthone, Deströyer 666, Dissection, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Enthroned, Gorgoroth, Helvetespine, Impaled Nazarene, Infernal War, Leviathan, Lycanthropy's Spell, Marduk, Marthyrium, Mayhem, Mütiilation, Nargaroth, Nilfheim, Nortt, Nyktalgia, Ragnarok, Ravencult, Sacramentum, Summoning, Svartthron, Svest , Taake, Vinterland, Windir, Wolves In The Throne Room. Edited by Makaru
Despoilered

sykurafire.jpg

Didn't get a chance to listen earlier, but Iconoclast by Symphony X is great.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Ever heard of Byzantine, guys? Progressive groove/thrash FTW. I'd really recommend ...And They Shall Take Up Serpents.

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

okay so Global Flatline is kind of amazing in every possible waygo listen to it right now if you like awesome music

Holy **** is it out?But is it as good as Gormageddon?EDIT: Yes. Yes it is. I swear to god, if Aborted keep pumping music this brutal out it is going to get to the point where my feeble human brain shall be incapable of processing it. Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

Unsure how I feel about Mayhem lineup. It's awesome, to be sure, but I'm on vacation that whole week; in-state, so it's doable, but I dunno if it'll convince the amigos.The more I think about it, though, the more I like it. Haven't seen Anthrax live, so I'll be one step closer to having seen all of the Big 4 (I missed Metallica back in 07; been kicking myself ever since).

My God it has taken me ages to figure out how to get back into my account ಠ_ಠAnyway, I have fantastic news! I am in a new band, which is tentatively being called The Hedonist. We play a mix of metalcore (but don't rely on breakdowns) and technical death metal. Think Viraemia meets Structures meets Misery Signals. We don't have a decent recording setup, but you can hear some programmed previews of our music on our SoundCloud.The majority are just small previews, but there's one nearly completed track, also. No vocals in the previews, obviously, but we do have a vocalist.Also, I'm pretty bummed. I was going to go see The Ghost Inside and Attack Attack! in a few days (mostly for The Ghost Inside and Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, although I don't mind Attack Attack!), and now I can't go, because my hours at work got cut >_<

These transitions in reverie could never be

What you wanted them to be, it's what I believe.

These sleepless nights in arms you can't reach

Will never be what you thought they would be.

I can't sleep, I can't breathe.

I can't breathe the air that you breathe,

I can't be the dreams that you dream.

You're taking your time, and I can't breathe the air.

Mayhem Fest lineup sucks this year. Only bands worth seeing this time for me other than As I Lay Dying are Slayer and Anthrax, and I've already seen them. Seriously, what the heck is up with it? Asking Alexandria?? Slipknot??? I know the scene kids are going to go crazy over this, but this is a no-no for me. But anyways.I got Misery Signals's album Controller a few weeks ago. Whole album is awesome, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of progcore.TOGETHER YOU WILL KEEP SEARCHINGTHE ANSWERS WILL NEVER COMEKEEP SEARCHING

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

Not sure how many of you are keeping tabs on my blog, but the Wacken Open Air line-up is already pretty big so far.AmarantheAmon AmarthAura NoirAxel Rudi PellThe Black Dahlia MurderThe BossHossBroilersChthonicCircle II CircleCoronerCradle of FilthCrimes of PassionD-A-DDanko Jones SWDark FuneralDarkest HourDead by AprilDecapitatedDelainDimmu BorgirDirty Rotten ImbecilesDodheimsgardEisenherzElectric WizardEndstilleEschenbachForbiddenGammaRayGehennaGhost BrigadeGraveyardHammerfallHenry RollinsIn ExtremoIn FlamesInsomniumKamelotKylesaLeningrad CowboysMachine HeadManticoraMinistryMoonspellNapalm DeathNasumOomph!OpethOverkillParadise LostRed FangRiotgodSAOR PatrolSacred ReichSanctuarySaturnianSaxonSchandmaulScorpionsSick Of It AllSix Feet UnderSuicide SilenceSylosisTestamentU.D.O.UnearthVogelfreyVolbeatWarbringerWarrior SoulWatainWinterfyllethWölli & Die Band Des Jahres

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~