The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

I have the chance to get a copy of a Paradise Lost greatest hits album, Reflection, for pretty much dirt-cheap. Being someone who is just attempting to get into the doom and gothic metal genres, should I go for it?Only problem is that I'm not really big on some of their synthier stuff that I've heard.

I have the chance to get a copy of a Paradise Lost greatest hits album, Reflection, for pretty much dirt-cheap. Being someone who is just attempting to get into the doom and gothic metal genres, should I go for it?Only problem is that I'm not really big on some of their synthier stuff that I've heard.

do it mangalso, Type O Negative is a must if you're getting into goth metal

only in dreams.

Get it, it has some absolute classics on it. Still, I would recommend a whole album instead of a greatest hits, but if it's cheap get it.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I know they're not a metal band, but it's been my experience that fans of metal enjoy them. The band I'm talking about is the band The Pretty Reckless. With Taylor Momsen as their lead vocalist, they channel classical rock with a punk/grunge edge. Their lyrics are surprisingly masculine despite the fact that Taylor Momsen herself writes the music. Lyrical themes include the classic rock & roll lifestyle of partying, heartbreak, friends and lovers and of course, rebellion. You guys should check them out. They released their debut Light Me Up last year and released a new EP two days ago. If there's 1 track i think would persuade you, it has to be Goin' Down.I'm anxious to see what you metal heads think of this alternative rock band.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

TPR is pretty decent, not something i'd listen to often but i dig the stylealso i know you are (for a lack of a better word) elitist about only listening to female vocalists (not an attack against you, promise c: ) so you should check out Oathbreaker. Metallic hardcore with a pretty crazy vocalist for the genre. goooood stuff

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

I know they're not a metal band, but it's been my experience that fans of metal enjoy them.The band I'm talking about is the band The Pretty Reckless.With Taylor Momsen as their lead vocalist, they channel classical rock with a punk/grunge edge.Their lyrics are surprisingly masculine despite the fact that Taylor Momsen herself writes the music.Lyrical themes include the classic rock & roll lifestyle of partying, heartbreak, friends and lovers and of course, rebellion.You guys should check them out. They released their debut Light Me Up last year and released a new EP two days ago.If there's 1 track i think would persuade you, it has to be Goin' Down.I'm anxious to see what you metal heads think of this alternative rock band.

TPR is pretty decent, not something i'd listen to often but i dig the stylealso i know you are (for a lack of a better word) elitist about only listening to female vocalists (not an attack against you, promise c: ) so you should check out Oathbreaker. Metallic hardcore with a pretty crazy vocalist for the genre. goooood stuff

TPR is always a band I feel like I should appreciate, but just can't for some reason. I don't really know why, it's just never my cup of tea.I'll have to check out Oathbreaker, though.

i'm digging reptile by nin pretty hard right nowi know it's not metal but im posting about it anyway because nin

Close enough, really. NIN is too hardcore to go in any other topic. I hope Reznor releases new stuff at some point (or tours again; I saw one of his last performances ever, which was amazing, but I'd love to go again).

Any good power metal suggestions?

(Yes, I know most of these are pretty well known, haha)SabatonAnubis Gate (more progressive/power metal, but highly recommended nonetheless) PyramazeIced EarthBeautiful SinBlind GuardianPower metal is not really my forté seeing I mainly listen to brutal death, but to me that only means that these guys must be doing something very good to get my attention, right? :P

sykurafire.jpg

The closest I've gotten to liking metal is Linkin Park's second album, Meteora, which is nu / alternative metal, and some of Muse's alternative / progressive metal-esque songs like "Stockholm Syndrome" (which, according to Wikipedia, is actually considered progressive / alternative metal), "Hysteria", and "New Born". (Also according to Wikipedia, Skillet's album Comatose is considered alternative / Christian metal, but I personally think it's closer to symphonic rock.)I really don't like screamed vocals -- my ears can't take them (:P) -- but I'm generally fine with tunes and rhythms from the softer edge of metal.

(Yes, I know most of these are pretty well known, haha)SabatonAnubis Gate (more progressive/power metal, but highly recommended nonetheless) PyramazeIced EarthBeautiful SinBlind GuardianPower metal is not really my forté seeing I mainly listen to brutal death, but to me that only means that these guys must be doing something very good to get my attention, right? :P
Kay, I'll check 'em out!

yeslisten to a better genre
.........Screw you.

The closest I've gotten to liking metal is Linkin Park's second album, Meteora, which is nu / alternative metal, and some of Muse's alternative / progressive metal-esque songs like "Stockholm Syndrome" (which, according to Wikipedia, is actually considered progressive / alternative metal), "Hysteria", and "New Born". (Also according to Wikipedia, Skillet's album Comatose is considered alternative / Christian metal, but I personally think it's closer to symphonic rock.)

Yeah none of those are really metal at all.I mean, I'm not one of those OMG NU METAL IZ NOT TROO METAL!!1!!1 genre Nazis, but even for nu metal Linkin Park is.. soft. I've always considered them to be rap-rock, not nu/alternative metal. Distorted guitars and a bit of aggression do not a metal band make.Anyway, as I stated over in my blog, you may enjoy more recent Katatonia. They discarded the death aspects of their style and the blasphemous/pseudo-Satanic lyrics in favor of more melodic, almost gothic rock/metal and introspective, emotional lyrics. I recommend checking out the albums The Great Cold Distance and Night Is the New Day.

Yeah none of those are really metal at all.I mean, I'm not one of those OMG NU METAL IZ NOT TROO METAL!!1!!1 genre Nazis, but even for nu metal Linkin Park is.. soft. I've always considered them to be rap-rock, not nu/alternative metal. Distorted guitars and a bit of aggression do not a metal band make.

Does heaviness really have anything to do with "being metal"? I mean, the vast majority is, but look at sludge/stoner/folk/classical metal etc. I do not see any of those getting slated for being full of posers (but blending rap with metal is unforgivable in my opinion). The way I see it is this: to the mainstream audience, anything heavier than Nickleback is metal, and anything with harsh vocals is death metal (be it Escape The Fate or some other emo/post-hardcore rubbish). That would be fine -as they do not understand- but a lot of these bands and fans seem attracted to the image metal has, thinking it makes them edgier or being a more "alternative" band for the cool kids that do not conform to listen to. Anyway guys, anybody like the new Abominable Putridity? I think that The Anomalies of Artificial Origin is probably one the best slam death albums I have heard. It would appear that after getting rid of their horrendous vocalist and replacing him with Matti Way they gained the ability to write good brutal death metal. I still kind of wish that Big Chocolate stayed with them though as that could have been interesting, but hey, at least Disfiguring The Goddess are bringing a new record out this year. Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

Heaviness was pretty much just the default I went with since I can't figure out how to explain it any other way. Linkin Park has always just struck me as being one of the most un-metal nu metal bands out there, even on their earlier albums.

Edited by Eucliwood

Yeah none of those are really metal at all.I mean, I'm not one of those OMG NU METAL IZ NOT TROO METAL!!1!!1 genre Nazis, but even for nu metal Linkin Park is.. soft. I've always considered them to be rap-rock, not nu/alternative metal. Distorted guitars and a bit of aggression do not a metal band make.

You dare to question the almighty accuracy of Wikipedia?In all seriousness, Linkin Park isn't really a nu / alternative metal band because of the band's albums Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns (the former alternative / rap rock and the latter alternative rock), but quite a few of their earlier songs (save songs like "In the End", "Breaking the Habit", and "Numb") seem to rely on the intense drumbeats, electric guitar-driven rhythms, and guitar riffs that seem to inhabit a lot of metal -- take "Papercut", "Points of Authority", "Don't Stay", "Hit the Floor", and the list goes on.

Anyway, as I stated over in my blog, you may enjoy more recent Katatonia. They discarded the death aspects of their style and the blasphemous/pseudo-Satanic lyrics in favor of more melodic, almost gothic rock/metal and introspective, emotional lyrics. I recommend checking out the albums The Great Cold Distance and Night Is the New Day.

I've just been listening through The Great Cold Distance; a lot of the songs seem to have a very similar instrument mix, which feels somewhat tedious after a while of listening, but otherwise the songs sound good. If Linkin Park's first two albums aren't metal, I'm kind of surprised The Great Cold Distance is.

In my opinion, Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns is more electronic rock. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

You dare to question the almighty accuracy of Wikipedia?In all seriousness, Linkin Park isn't really a nu / alternative metal band because of the band's albums Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns (the former alternative / rap rock and the latter alternative rock), but quite a few of their earlier songs (save songs like "In the End", "Breaking the Habit", and "Numb") seem to rely on the intense drumbeats, electric guitar-driven rhythms, and guitar riffs that seem to inhabit a lot of metal -- take "Papercut", "Points of Authority", "Don't Stay", "Hit the Floor", and the list goes on.
Riffs and aggression do not equal metal. The guitar tone and overall sound Linkin Park employs could more easily be classified as hard rock than metal. They basically took the standard radio rock sound and made it louder and angrier than usual, which accounts for the harder edge to their music.

Anyway, as I stated over in my blog, you may enjoy more recent Katatonia. They discarded the death aspects of their style and the blasphemous/pseudo-Satanic lyrics in favor of more melodic, almost gothic rock/metal and introspective, emotional lyrics. I recommend checking out the albums The Great Cold Distance and Night Is the New Day.

I've just been listening through The Great Cold Distance; a lot of the songs seem to have a very similar instrument mix, which feels somewhat tedious after a while of listening, but otherwise the songs sound good. If Linkin Park's first two albums aren't metal, I'm kind of surprised The Great Cold Distance is.
Hence why I said "melodic rock/metal". The more recent Katatonia style is more rock-that-borders-on-metal, I'll readily admit that. Linkin Park's first two albums relied pretty much solely on aggression to achieve the "metallic" feel, whereas Katatonia's recent works discard aggression but employ actual heaviness on occasion (a perfect example being the song "Forsaker").

look brosyou can go out and buy a bunch of power metal recordsor save a ton of money and let me sing the entire genre to you right nowit'll only take like 15 seconds guys, i promise

I would say that you are allowed to state your mind, (and I admit that a lot of power metal is very similar too) but previously in this topic you have mentioned liking Pantera and Deftones, so that in my opinion automatically rends your argument invalid. :P

so the new Emmure album leaked, and it is pretty sweet as expectedalso you dudes like Municipal Waste? i'm pretty stoked to hear their new record which also leaked

Emmure is awful in every way possible and some that are not.Eh, Municipal Waste? I never really got thrash crossover but I shall give their new record a go.

sykurafire.jpg