The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

Metal isn't typically my thing. Mostly I only listen to some death metal and heavy metal. Currently listening to I Am the Enemy by Sacrificium.

"Heavy Metal" pretty much is the entire genre of metal. :PAlso will check out those two bands. Maybe I'll like them. Who knows?

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

It is still bizzare. When somebody says that, you expect to hear traditional/softer thrash and maybe a little power. But not liking metal generally means not liking the vocals, lyrical themes, complexity, heaviness, and aggression, all of which are post prominent in death metal.

Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

It is still bizzare. When somebody says that, you expect to hear traditional/softer thrash and maybe a little power. But not liking metal generally means not liking the vocals, lyrical themes, complexity, heaviness, and aggression, all of which are post prominent in death metal.

There's nothing bizzare about it. Everyone has different taste in music. ;)

Alter Bridge isn't quite metal, but their newest album, AB III came pretty close. And using the standards of the 80s it'd definitely qualify. :P It was my favourite album of 2010, so you could give it a try.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

DT is my favourite band. they're Progressive Metal, and no growling. Their tenth album has some deep, rough vocals from their drummer, but those are only for like 10 seconds and most people hate them. DT's as clean as metal gets. And no, they aren't symphonic - they only ever use a symphony on Octavarium (8th album).

It must be songs from Octavarium that I've heard, then.Any album to recommend? Octavarium sounds interesting, but it would also be nice to listen to something more progressive than symphonic.

I used to really hate swearing. I grew up completely without it, and always associated it with angry punks and stuff. I still never swear, but I don't care about it any more. I listen to a ton of swearing music and everyone I know swears.That said, I think many new bands swear just for the sake of it - I'm not against it when it conveys anger or frustration or drives a point home, but a lot of new bands barely say anything else besides strings of curses.

i actually meant like in a more general sense, like why do people care about "naughty" words in the first place. why even have words that you're not supposed to say?
Because they were created to insult, and that meaning has stuck with them, so quite a few people don't like them.On the subject of swearing in songs, I find it rather uncreative; I mean, anyone can swear, so can't songwriters go the extra mile and write something more creative to get across their point? Just my opinion.

Legolover, if you've not heard the title track of Octavarium, it's definitely progressive. It's 24 minutes long and a rollercoaster ride of styles and instruments. But as for really pregressive album, Images and Words is great, and though I know Eucliwood will disagree, Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From A Memory is hailed as their masterpiece. While it's not my favourite album, it's definitely the place to look for progressive insanity.EDIT: Sorry, just an afterthought, I kinda' spaced on Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. It's a double album, with the entire second disk being taken up by a 42-minute epic. And 4 of the 5 songs on the first disk are over 10 minutes long. That may be the one to go with.DOUBLE EDIT: Listening to Skeletonwitch right now... I must say, I am actually really diggin' their compositions. However, while the vocals aren't necessarily bothering me, I can't help but imagine how much better it'd be with clean singing. The melodies in some of these songs are ridiculously catchy...TRIPLE EDIT: Now, Anubis Gate is fantastic. Thanks Sykura.

Edited by A Pleasant Shade Of Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

I am interested to see what you like already, as I am a fan of technical death but find most of the genre to be full of people who think that playing fast equates to technicality.

I don't listen to it as much as I'd like to, which is why I asked for suggestions. :P The only tech death bands I consistently listen to are Arsis and The Faceless (and Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya, but they're more -core)(as well as some other unsigned bands that you guys may or may not think are "good" tech death: Monumental Torment and Orphalis), but I've heard some stuff from other bands like Nile, Augury, and Necrophagist. The problem is I listen to a few songs from a band and then completely forget about them. This time I seriously want to act on my hunger for more tech death though.Thanks for that huge list though, it and Idunnolol's list will hold me over for awhile.

DOUBLE EDIT: Listening to Skeletonwitch right now... I must say, I am actually really diggin' their compositions. However, while the vocals aren't necessarily bothering me, I can't help but imagine how much better it'd be with clean singing. The melodies in some of these songs are rediculously catchy...

glad to hear you're at least enjoying it, they're a great band. i've always felt that harsh vocals can convey emotions that cleanly sung ones can't which is why i don't mind constant screaming
nhsYE.jpg

Because they were created to insult, and that meaning has stuck with them, so quite a few people don't like them.On the subject of swearing in songs, I find it rather uncreative; I mean, anyone can swear, so can't songwriters go the extra mile and write something more creative to get across their point? Just my opinion.

Meh, I swear all the time. (As do most of my friends and family) Sure, they might be "bad" words, but they get the message across, especially with something as angry as metal. :P

TRIPLE EDIT: Now, Anubis Gate is fantastic. Thanks Sykura.

I know rght? I snorted at first when I read their genre, but then heard a song by accident and fell in love. I have to say that their latest self-titled is by far their best effort. I really like Andromeda Unchained and The Detached too, but although the music on Purification and A Perfect Forever is brilliant, I cannot stand the vocals.

I don't listen to it as much as I'd like to, which is why I asked for suggestions. :P The only tech death bands I consistently listen to are Arsis and The Faceless (and Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya, but they're more -core)(as well as some other unsigned bands that you guys may or may not think are "good" tech death: Monumental Torment and Orphalis), but I've heard some stuff from other bands like Nile, Augury, and Necrophagist. The problem is I listen to a few songs from a band and then completely forget about them. This time I seriously want to act on my hunger for more tech death though.Thanks for that huge list though, it and Idunnolol's list will hold me over for awhile.

Eh, I sort of like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya, but the -core aspect does put me off somewhat. Haha, I forget too; hence why I have list of about five bands. (Most of which -apart from my favourites- have only been listened to about three times)

sykurafire.jpg

What's snort-worthy about prog metal? Also the self titled is my favourite so far, too. The Detached's vocals sound kinda' like Styx at times, lol. And the vocals on A perfect Forever aren't bad necessarily... but they sound like Symphony X, who gets old pretty quickly. Unfortunately I couldn't find the other albums...So, all the bands I found yesterday that I'm currently digging:Anubis GateAnacrusisDepressive AgeEpicaPower Questand some I need to look into more would be Flotsam and Jetsam, Helloween, and Skeletonwitch. Pretty decent variety there, I think.

Edited by A Pleasant Shade Of Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

so you guysi'm seeing The Devil Wears Prada with Every Time I Die, Letlive., and Oh Sleeper tomorrowy'all jelly

Haven't listened to a lot of Letlive. but I've heard good things. The rest are all bands I've seen live and loved.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

dude go listen to the entirety of Fake History right nowif you like glassjaw these guys are like them but better

I assume by "but better" you mean they release more than one album every five years?-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

dude go listen to the entirety of Fake History right nowif you like glassjaw these guys are like them but better

I assume by "but better" you mean they release more than one album every five years?-Teezy
actually it took them five years to release FH. but it was well worth that wait (especially because the first two albums weren't that great)
nhsYE.jpg

I don't doubt it.-Teezy

alright you need to go to that, definitely. every single band put on an amazing show, letlive. especially. the venue had a disco ball above the stage. let's just say that after the set the ball wasn't there anymore
...I'm officially psyched out of my mind for tomorrow night. I've never been disappointed by a show at The NorVa before, and this is the best lineup that's come by in months.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I once talked to Mike Hranica after a show for like twenty minutes about the making of With Roots Above and Branches Below. I remember because they ended up retiring like half the songs from Dear Love after that tour so it was my last chance to hear some of my favorite TDWP tracks.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME