The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

The way I see it, there are two kinds of metalcore:Awesome metalcore: Shadows Fall, Killswitch, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, and such.Bad, scene kid metalcore: Asking Alexandria and such. Basically, the bands that actually call themselves screamo. (Which is a terribly inaccurate term if you're referring to metalcore, BTW, don't ever use it except to talk to scene kids)

lololololololAILD and ATR was the popular metalcore not too long ago. there's just less at the gates ripping off going on nowadays.i mean i like AILD and all but complaining about asking alexandria and being into all of the slightly older metalcore is a bit ironic Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Awesome metalcore - KsE, All That Remains?What a laugh.Cro Mags and S.O.B.* are awesome old school metalcore. As I said, none of that modern junk people call metalcore, that's my stance.*just to make sure people don't think I'm talking about S.O.D. Stormtroopers of Death - they're awesome too though, way better than anything Anthrax has put it in the last... 15 years or more.By the way, Pig Destroyer are great. They're also in my top grindcore bands. Deathspell Omega and Blut aus Nord are excellent BM, even if BaN has experimented with all sorts of styles and keeps on doing so. Taake are one of the few consistently great Norwegian BM bands though.

i still need to get into BaN, probably gonna check out the two 777 albums they've released first since it's their newest outputand one more final freakout - I'M SEEING BORN OF OSIRIS AND VEIL OF MAYA TONIGHT I'M GOING TO DIE OF PURE GOLDEN JOY ASDFGHJKL;

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Kamelot has a new music video, "Necropolis".Good video, but a bit of a disappointment after "The Great Pandemonium".

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Kex, you have a record label? Kudos.

Yessir. Just started it in October. It would really mean a lot if you picked up our first release. :)2011 was a great year for metal. It's pretty fun going through all these "best of year end lists" and checking out any albums you didn't hear.
6239331107_3c40075fbb.jpg

Rammstein are overrated tripe, IMO. Their pyro shows are decent, a shame the music isn't.Also being "industrial" doesn't excuse them one bit.Listen to Godflesh for good industrial metal. I'm not a fan of Neue Deutsche Harte, but there should be plenty of bands better than Rammstein. I think Oomph! might qualify, they're the second best-known, but I haven't heard them in ages, can't decide.

okay so the concert last night was pretty much the best day of my life everevery single band killed it, especially Betraying The Martyrs which was surprising for a young band like thati'm super sore today because i went all out in Veil Of Maya's pits, totally worth it thoughplus i met Betraying The Martyr's bassist as well as Structures' vocalist (who signed my phone), both of them were super cool, nice dudes.if any of you guys live somewhere that hasn't had the tour pass through yet, go see it.EDIT: ooh and i got a sweet structures shirt too

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

While we're still on the subject of Rammstein, to celebrate their new greatest hits album they have just opened their own mausoleum in Berlin, complete with burning vigils, death masks and a funeral procession.They always come up with random things, don't they? And while we're on industrial, Shotgun Messiah anyone? Their last album, Violent New Breed, is a fantastic industrial record.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

It's always best to buy your tickets early.I mean, I was late with my Wacken ticket this year.Thankfully I ordered mine just in time. <.<

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I'm really hoping to be able to make it to the Megadeth/Volbeat/Motörhead/Lacuna Coil Gigantour that's coming to Vancouver in february. I have yet to go to a legit concert besides Avril Lavigne.

:P

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Skindred anyone? I'm not really into them but I listened to this year's album yesterday and it was pretty cool.

Also metal is bad because it will make you become a criminal. D:<

I know it's a joke, but false. I recently finished doing a 6500 word dissertation entitled "Does the Heavy Metal genre and sub-culture influence rebellion?" and no, the music does not make you a criminal. Although of course the people within a sub-culture can, but not the metal itself.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

So I'm reorganizing my music library a bit, and I'm having some issues with genre classifications. Specifically, whether to classify several bands as death metal (or melodeath) or as progressive metal. Anyone care to offer a little insight?Opeth - Death metal or progressive?Gojira - Death metal or progressive?Scar Symmetry - Melodeath or progressive?Post-Spiritual Healing Death - Death metal or progressive?I'm leaning toward prog with Opeth, but the others I'm a little iffier on.

Edited by Laughin'Man

progressive death metaldo you not differentiate between reg. and prog/tech death? i can understand skipping over brutal dm but the other two seem different enough that they deserve a separate genreif you're not gonna go that route, i'd say opeth is prog, gojira is death, scar symmetry is melodeath (never considered them progressive in the least bit), and death is, well, death.

nhsYE.jpg

progressive death metaldo you not differentiate between reg. and prog/tech death? i can understand skipping over brutal dm but the other two seem different enough that they deserve a separate genre

For the sake of simplicity I try not to delve too deep into specifics and subgenres. If I was explaining these bands to someone, sure, I'd go into more detail - but this is just essentially how bands will be categorized on my iPod, I don't see the point. There are so many subgenres and distinctions to make that it'd just end up getting cluttered.

So what bands are you guys currently most into?I've been digging Opeth, Death, Bolt Thrower, Gojira, Katatonia, In Flames, At the Gates, Lamb of God, Darkest Hour, Living Sacrifice, Amon Amarth, Faith No More, Machine Head, and Chimaira to name a few in no particular order.

Edited by Laughin'Man