The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

Anybody get any good deals on metal albums lately? Today I lucked out and scored Machine Head's The Blackening, White Zombie's Astro-Creep: 2000, and Iron Maiden's Powerslave on CD for a total cost of $12.

Got Astro-Creep: 2000 for £0.99. Picked it up with Godsmack's Awake (In before 'They're not metal/they suck'), Ozzy's Down To Earth and Black Sabbath's self-titled for £11.10 all together.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Picked it up with Godsmack's Awake (In before 'They're not metal/they suck')

but they do suckalso evanescence sucks tooso i bought a couple of metal-related things at fye today. i got zao's liberate te ex inferis, dawn of ashes' genocide chapters, and annotations of an autopsy's the reign of darkness. never listened to any of those bands so we'll see how this goes.i also snagged the acacia strain and the black dahlia murder's dvds. gonna be watching them real soonedit: okay so the drummer from the plot in you just followed me on a popular blogging website excuse me while i go pee myself Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

>implying Godsmack sucks>buys dvd's from acacia strain, black dahlia murder

haaaaaaaa
This.Also, Vallenfyre anyone? A fantastic old-school Death Metal project from Paradise Lost's Gregor Mackintosh. They released their first album, A Fragile King, this year and it's pretty awesome. Check them out if you're into Death Metal.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

haaaaaaaa
wait are you actually implying that godsmack is a more respectable band than tas or tbdm? that, my friend, is hilarious. i didn't know you guys liked god awful nu metal more than melodeath/deathcore now. what's next, are you going to insult me for not liking limp bizkit too?also lol at still liking alice cooper that much in 2011 (well, it's almost 2012 now but still)
nhsYE.jpg

haaaaaaaa
wait are you actually implying that godsmack is a more respectable band than tas or tbdm? that, my friend, is hilarious. i didn't know you guys liked god awful nu metal more than melodeath/deathcore now. what's next, are you going to insult me for not liking limp bizkit too?also lol at still liking alice cooper that much in 2011 (well, it's almost 2012 now but still)
No one was implying that. It's just that it's a bit like saying that you hate Bring Me The Horizon and then saying that you listen to Hollywood Undead. You're saying that nu metal sucks (even though Godsmack haven't done a nu metal record in the last 10 years, but that's besides the point) while listening to generic deathcore. I don't care what you listen to, but insulting one thing while listening to something that's on more or less the same level is a bit pompous. And who was insulting whom? All I and G.I.R. did was point out an obvious flaw in your post. You're the one coming out with "that, my friend, is hilarious", "god awful nu metal" and "lol at still liking alice cooper that much in 2011". And yes, lets bring me liking Cooper this much (whatever that's supposed to mean) into this, because it totally has everything to do with it. LOL, I like Alice Cooper. You're right, that's hilarious. Hahaha. Good one.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

No one was implying that. It's just that it's a bit like saying that you hate Bring Me The Horizon and then saying that you listen to Hollywood Undead. You're saying that nu metal sucks (even though Godsmack haven't done a nu metal record in the last 10 years, but that's besides the point) while listening to generic deathcore. I don't care what you listen to, but insulting one thing while listening to something that's on more or less the same level is a bit pompous.

how would listening to hollywood undead and hating bmth be hypocritical? they both play fairly different genres of music (hu making some form of rap rock, and bmth just playing metalcore) so not liking one while liking the other is totally understandable. yeah they have a similar fanbase but fanbase does not equal music. also if you really want to be that specific then fine, godsmack is a god awful alternative metal band (because you know there is a huge difference between that and nu metal). btdubs the acacia strain really isn't generic, they have a pretty unique style within the genre. if you wanted generic deathcore i could point to bands that fit the description far better (impending doom and carnifex come to mind there). also in no way is metalcore "on the same level" as nu metal. even the lowliest of internet metal nerds would agree that metalcore is at least more "metal" than nu metal ever was. even the imns have their own metalcore bands that they enjoy (you know like converge and the dillinger escape plan, imns seem to back them a lot). metalcore elitism's been on the way out for a while what with bands like after the burial, the human abstract and born of osiris releasing albums that have impressed many previous holdbacks. obviously the genre still has a long way to go before it gets accepted into the genre by the haters but it will get there. take bands like thursday for example, back when they first came around people hated them but apparently they're "classics" now. metalcore isn't going to end up like nu metal did, mark my words.

And yes, lets bring me liking Cooper this much (whatever that's supposed to mean) into this, because it totally has everything to do with it. LOL, I like Alice Cooper. You're right, that's hilarious. Hahaha. Good one.

enough to make his face your banner/avatar really. it's just funny because he hasn't been relevant in forever. also i was just making that as an offhand comment, which is why i had separated that from the other part of my post (via formatting, it's an important skill) Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

No one was implying that. It's just that it's a bit like saying that you hate Bring Me The Horizon and then saying that you listen to Hollywood Undead. You're saying that nu metal sucks (even though Godsmack haven't done a nu metal record in the last 10 years, but that's besides the point) while listening to generic deathcore. I don't care what you listen to, but insulting one thing while listening to something that's on more or less the same level is a bit pompous.

how would listening to hollywood undead and hating bmth be hypocritical? they both play fairly different genres of music (hu making some form of rap rock, and bmth just playing metalcore) so not liking one while liking the other is totally understandable. yeah they have a similar fanbase but fanbase does not equal music. also if you really want to be that specific then fine, godsmack is a god awful alternative metal band (because you know there is a huge difference between that and nu metal). btdubs the acacia strain really isn't generic, they have a pretty unique style within the genre. if you wanted generic deathcore i could point to bands that fit the description far better (impending doom and carnifex come to mind there). also in no way is metalcore "on the same level" as nu metal. even the lowliest of internet metal nerds would agree that metalcore is at least more "metal" than nu metal ever was. even the imns have their own metalcore bands that they enjoy (you know like converge and the dillinger escape plan, imns seem to back them a lot). metalcore elitism's been on the way out for a while what with bands like after the burial, the human abstract and born of osiris releasing albums that have impressed many previous holdbacks. obviously the genre still has a long way to go before it gets accepted into the genre by the haters but it will get there. take bands like thursday for example, back when they first came around people hated them but apparently they're "classics" now. metalcore isn't going to end up like nu metal did, mark my words.
Not hypocritical, just a bit silly and pompous. And here we go with the typical elitist "it's not as metal". Last time I checked, there are no degrees of 'metal'. Music is either metal or not. Nu metal is as 'metal' as deathcore and they're both as 'metal' as classic heavy metal. Because otherwise they wouldn't be metal at all. I didn't make any comments about metalcore, only generic deathcore, which I view TBDM and AS to be. Also notice that I neither said nor made any implications that I think metalcore or deathcore (generic or not) is bad. And yes, IMNs have bands that they like. So does everyone that listens to music so I'm not sure what your point there is.

And yes, lets bring me liking Cooper this much (whatever that's supposed to mean) into this, because it totally has everything to do with it. LOL, I like Alice Cooper. You're right, that's hilarious. Hahaha. Good one.

enough to make his face your banner/avatar really. it's just funny because he hasn't been relevant in forever. also i was just making that as an offhand comment, which is why i had separated that from the other part of my post (via formatting, it's an important skill)
Ah, sorry. I did not realise this was the 'Describe the sig of the member before you' topic. Also, didn't realise that people aren't allowed to like bands that aren't relevant. Not really sure when Cooper became irrelevant either.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Just throwing it out that I like pretty much everything except slipknot better than Melodeath/deathcore/death metal/whatever. Thus why I mostly ignore this topic now.

Edited by My Little Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Not hypocritical, just a bit silly and pompous. And here we go with the typical elitist "it's not as metal". Last time I checked, there are no degrees of 'metal'. Music is either metal or not. Nu metal is as 'metal' as deathcore and they're both as 'metal' as classic heavy metal. Because otherwise they wouldn't be metal at all. I didn't make any comments about metalcore, only generic deathcore, which I view TBDM and AS to be. Also notice that I neither said nor made any implications that I think metalcore or deathcore (generic or not) is bad.And yes, IMNs have bands that they like. So does everyone that listens to music so I'm not sure what your point there is.

oh honestly i think arguing about how "metal" something is is just stupid too, i thought that was where you were going with the whole "they're on the same level thing"also metalcore and deathcore are basically the same thing so i just lump them in with eachother. it's just hardcore copying metal that was popular 10 years ago really.i'd say claiming that anything is on the same level as nu metal is fairly insulting in its own right though. i mean really can we all agree that nu metal just needs to be forgotten?also i'd just like to say that The Black Dahlia Murder is not deathcore in the slightest (no breakdowns bro!) so you can't really lump them in there. pet peeve of mine right thur, sorry bro.

Ah, sorry. I did not realise this was the 'Describe the sig of the member before you' topic. Also, didn't realise that people aren't allowed to like bands that aren't relevant. Not really sure when Cooper became irrelevant either.

never said you couldn't like him, just said it was funny. don't take too much offense to it. i mean i non-ironically like winds of plague, if anyone deserves to be made fun of for their musical tastes it's me haha Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

oh honestly i think arguing about how "metal" something is is just stupid too, i thought that was where you were going with the whole "they're on the same level thing"also metalcore and deathcore are basically the same thing so i just lump them in with eachother. it's just hardcore copying metal that was popular 10 years ago really.i'd say claiming that anything is on the same level as nu metal is fairly insulting in its own right though. i mean really can we all agree that nu metal just needs to be forgotten?also i'd just like to say that The Black Dahlia Murder is not deathcore in the slightest (no breakdowns bro!) so you can't really lump them in there. pet peeve of mine right thur, sorry bro.

Fair enough. I was saying that they're generally at the same quality, but obviously it's all subjective. I'll grant you that most nu metal is pretty bad, but there is some good stuff there. Of course again, completely subjective. Anyway, I'm looking for some Stoner Metal, maybe similar to High On Fire. Anyone got any suggestions?

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

eh, i think there are far more good metalcore/deathcore bands than there are good nu metal bands. granted there are 1 or 2 nu metal bands i can get behind (mudvayne's first album particularly. dat rhythm section)also for stoner metal you can't go wrong with electric wizard and sleep (who coincidentally featured the dude from high on fire whose name escapes me) and kyuss. always kyuss.by the way just as a general rule you can always go through the top charts for a genre on rate your music for some pretty good bands to check out. they usually hit the better bands on the ball.edit: blarg i forgot about down. check them out too. phil from pantera is their vocalist so if that doesn't entice you i dunno what would

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

eh, i think there are far more good metalcore/deathcore bands than there are good nu metal bands. granted there are 1 or 2 nu metal bands i can get behind (mudvayne's first album particularly. dat rhythm section

Deftones broalways Deftonesstoner metal, check out the bands Idunnolol said, and Karma To Burn

only in dreams.

so the human abstract split up you guysgaaaaaaaawd, and they were so good tooalso mirin the refused theme with your ban/av malchioredit: also anyone here like touche amore? very great post-hardcore, can't stop listening to parting the sea between brightness and me

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Got Astro-Creep: 2000 for £0.99. Picked it up with Godsmack's Awake (In before 'They're not metal/they suck'), Ozzy's Down To Earth and Black Sabbath's self-titled for £11.10 all together.

How is Down to Earth? I liked the albums immediately before and after it (Ozzmosis and Black Rain) despite not caring for most of Ozzy's later stuff, and I have the opportunity to get it for a really good price. Edited by Laughin'Man

How is Down to Earth? I liked the albums immediately before and after it (Ozzmosis and Black Rain) despite not caring for most of Ozzy's later stuff, and I have the opportunity to get it for a really good price.
Eh, It's not bad I guess. I really only got it for Gets Me Through, because I love that song, and there's a few other good tracks but there's a lot of filler. I'm not a fan of Ozzy's ballads so I didn't really like the second single, Dreamer, either but if you like his ballads then it's ok. It's similar to Black Rain but not as heavy and gritty. I'd say get it if you find it for a really low price, but it's not his best.I haven't actually listened to Ozzmosis yet... Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

am i the only one who can't stand ozzy's solo work?like i like black sabbath and i won't deny his influence but his solo albums are just ughhalso i'd like to add that the cover for down to earth is the ugliest thing i have ever seen. ozzmosis has a pretty fugly cover too

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

I own very little music, have no favorite bands or composers, and have no clue what sort of genres I like. I'm trying to remedy this by trying out some new stuff. I've heard next to no metal, so I might as well give some a go.So, would anybody here have recommendations for a guy who's completely new to the genre?

I own very little music, have no favorite bands or composers, and have no clue what sort of genres I like. I'm trying to remedy this by trying out some new stuff. I've heard next to no metal, so I might as well give some a go.So, would anybody here have recommendations for a guy who's completely new to the genre?

Iron Maiden is a great place to start if you want something of quality that's also fairly easy to get into. Edited by Laughin'Man

I wish they would write longer songs.it's like, as soon as I really start getting into it, it ends

i actually enjoy the short songs. they're straight and to the point, which i like

listen to laughin' man about iron maiden, they are a great starter band.try to avoid anything with harsh vocals (stuff like screaming and growling) for the time being. obviously lots of people enjoy them but i'm sure most of us in the topic can agree that they take a little getting used to, so stick with the softer stuff for now and if you enjoy that metal you can try out some heavier stuffi'd say check out some instrumental metal bands like animals as leaders and scale the summit, they are fantastic and show a different side of the genre. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

I too would recommend Iron Maiden. Their albums between Number Of The Beast and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son in particular.In addition, you might enjoy some Metallica - they have sort of barking vocals in their earlier stuff, but it's still pretty melodic and there are many many slower ballad-ish songs (and after those 4 albums they went soft; you may enjoy that). Maybe some Ozzy osbourne as well; he's about as melodic as metal gets.Anyway yeah, I have other suggestions but I'll not swamp you.

:P

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

honestly i'd say check out metallica stuff from master of puppets, ride the lightning, and ...and justice for all because it's not very harsh for thrash and they're pretty accessible. just avoid anything after the black album, that album itself isn't that good and everything after it is just awful.also my counterparts shirt and within the ruins bag came in. MAD EXCITE BRAH

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

the black album, that album itself isn't that good

false; Of Wolf And Man, Holier Than Thou, Sad But True, Don't Tread On Me, The God That Failed, and My Friend Of Misery

everything after it is just awful.

this, however, is 100% truealso, Brickeens, listen to Modest Mousethey're not at all metal, but so amazing that i just don't evenedit: WHOALAUGHIN'DAT BANNERARE YOU SHO BOUT THAT BRAH Edited by G.I.R

only in dreams.

i don't think an opinion can be wrong haha

Yeah, but you know what they say. Opinions are like...

edit: WHOALAUGHIN'DAT BANNERARE YOU SHO BOUT THAT BRAH

Hey, I've had this banner for like a month now, it's perfectly fine.Besides, I'm only using it because somebody stated that the pony banners weren't as bad as the kissing banners, to which someone else jokingly suggested they be combined.