Those Bothersome Blade Burrowers - A Theory

Proposal: The Rahi Blade Burrowers were modified by the Hidden Great Being in the Matoran Universe to create their unique tunnel pattern.

The Great Beings tampered with the makeup of the Blade Burrowers, which causes the Rahi to begin digging a series of tunnels as a result. The Blade Burrowers form was created by Makuta Mutran, and used by Barraki Kalmah during his reign in the League of Six Kingdoms. Mutran programmed the Blade Burrowers he sent to die after a span of three days.While searching through the remains of Kalmah's fortress after the League's defeat, Mutran noticed the Burrowers, who had survived their expiration date. He was intrigued by the series of tunnels they were creating, though he was unable to decipher the meaning. He later had a captured Toa with a Kanohi Rau attempt to contact the Rahi, but the Rahi were unable to convey the meaning behind their behavior.

The map that the Blade Burrowers make is the symbol that represents the Three Virtues. It is meant to remind Mata Nui of his mission.

Anyway, given the gathered information above, I will point out that Mutran did not design the burrowers to create their tunnel pattern (since it was a mystery to him), and that he specifically designed these specific Rahi to die after three days. The quote above specifically says that the Great Beings tampered with the burrowers (probably to extend their lifespan and to make them build the pattern). Now, where are the Great Beings during that time frame? They were present during the robot's creation, but I don't see them exactly running about 15,000 to 20,000 years after (BS01 says that the League was defeated "80,000 years ago"). Somebody modified those burrowers, and it would have to have been under Kalmah's nose, or between Mutran and Kalmah, seeing as either didn't know what the map was or why it was in the burrower's brains. Likely either party, or the beings they used to transport the burrowers, would have noticed if a Great Being showed up in all his glory (Hey, let me modify these!). And once the mystery was brought up, I imagine Kalmah the Warlord would have interrogated the beings involved in holding and/or shipping the Rahi, and it would have came out. But the Hidden GB would have brought little or no attention. He might have simply been involved in the transport operation to begin with and could bluff his way out. Also, this particular individual, with his penchant for observation, would likely have wanted to observe the League for information, which could have placed him in this position (important enough to observe, but not really be noticed). A person involved in transportation would know what is going to whom, and possibly have access to port gossip in Kalmah's fortress. But Kalmah and Mutran would likely view such an individual as just another minion, which would likely go unnoticed. So go ahead and point out all the holes the size of blade burrower's tunnels in my theory. :) Edited by fishers64

bonesiii_gold_key_to_nongu_award.png

Disclaimer: The Gold Key to Nongu Award does not certify theory accuracy. The sponsor of the Gold Key to Nongu Award does not neccessarily endorse and/or oppose said theory. The sponsor of the Gold Key to Nongu Award remains ignorant of the exact meaning of the word "Nongu." The originator of the term "Nongu" may or may not be insane. Not available in some domes, void where prohibited.Second time in two days... keep this up peeps. :PI must say, reading this produces a definite "Duh, why didn't I think of that *bang head on wall*" sensation. :PThe only alternative I can think of, and it has evidence too, is that the other GBs could program identities of certain destined beings/species in some ways long before they are actually manifested in physical form. Ironically the chief evidence for this is the hidden GB himself, since Greg said he could be stored for a time, and then "downloaded" into a being who was physically created much later. He may have been simply storing himself in a system the other GBs were well aware of and designed intentionally. This would make sense as part of destiny.So in this case it could be something like the GBs put in a program waiting for some animal species to be created which would not be part of the important balance of life in the universe. One intended to live only a very short time would be perfect for this, so Mutran adding that trait may simply have triggered a nonspecific program, which then took over his creations.And this may actually be more likely, because I got the impression the hidden GB was trying hard to just hide, and we do know the GBs put in the destiny system which had many very specific effects. Still, I think that GB was in there to watch over the MU or something like that, yeah? And if he noticed Mata Nui had forgotten his mission (or mostly forgotten) it would make sense then that he'd act to make a reminder.In fact I'd say this is strongly supported by the mysterious nature of the reminder. The original GBs would have had no reason to be so subtle that I can think of -- they could just set up a contingency program to send a mental "text message" to Mata Nui's central processor reminding him of his purpose. But a GB in hiding would have every reason to be very subtle.

Likely either party, or the beings they used to transport the burrowers, would have noticed if a Great Being showed up in all his glory (Hey, let me modify these!).

Actually methinks no; we saw GBs able to walk in plain sight of their creations already, simply by turning off their creations' ability to register the sight. This probably would work with Makuta too, I would think.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Interesting theory, but it brings up another question: why would the GBs want to mess with the burrowers?-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Interesting theory, but it brings up another question: why would the GBs want to mess with the burrowers?-don't touch my pocket protector

it said there on bs01 and the topic starter quoted, that it was meant for them to remind mata nui of his goal by doing a UDD symbol (which is the formation of spheris magna and it's moons/nebulas)

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Interesting...we could have had a plot hole as large as the hole in Makuta's head come Jan. 2011 if GregF hadn't mentioned a Great Being in hiding during the serials! Honestly, a very clever deduction and it deserved the 'Key to Nongu.' There is little other in the way of plausible explanations and I have no choice but to unconditionally accept this as an unconfirmed piece of canon after reading the argument you made. This theory pulls together info from a lot of different sources of canon and successfully incorporates all of them. Nice thinking.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

I just read something on the GB article on BS01:

Two Great Beings later brought the Ignika into the Matoran Universe, traversing across various lands until they reached the Southern Continent. They carved out a staircase that would lead to a chamber that would house the Ignika.They then placed a scroll detailing the steps to prepare the universe for Mata Nui's awakening inside of the Great Temple, to assist the Toa Mata in reviving the Great Spirit.The two Great Beings also tampered with the makeup of the Blade Burrowers, causing them to dig tunnels in the shape of the symbol of the Three Virtues as a constant reminder of the mission.

Apparently the ones who tampered with the Blade Burrowers were two different GBs, the same ones who housed the Ignika in the MU. It also said that this happened before Mata Nui first blasted off from Spherus Magna. Is BS01 wrong?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Oh. Well, that would seem to disprove the theory, huh? But what about the timing? I thought blade burrowers weren't made till later, and also, why the choice of mode? Timing I already provided an explanation for above, but still, it's less likely by itself.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I just read something on the GB article on BS01:

Two Great Beings later brought the Ignika into the Matoran Universe, traversing across various lands until they reached the Southern Continent. They carved out a staircase that would lead to a chamber that would house the Ignika. They then placed a scroll detailing the steps to prepare the universe for Mata Nui's awakening inside of the Great Temple, to assist the Toa Mata in reviving the Great Spirit. The two Great Beings also tampered with the makeup of the Blade Burrowers, causing them to dig tunnels in the shape of the symbol of the Three Virtues as a constant reminder of the mission.

Apparently the ones who tampered with the Blade Burrowers were two different GBs, the same ones who housed the Ignika in the MU. It also said that this happened before Mata Nui first blasted off from Spherus Magna. Is BS01 wrong?
It's wrong. :) Really, I can't think of any official story book/serial behind that, and I just did a search on the OGD for everything with "blade burrowers" in it. I found support for the BS01 stuff I used, but nothing confirming what you just said. In fact, I couldn't find anything confirming that the burrowers were modified by the GBs at all, except this:QUOTE (Elephant in the Room)2) The Blade Burrowers were assigned by someone (A Great Being if I recall correctly) to create an underground tunnel network in the shape of the UDD symbol. Now we know that the symbol's really a map of sorts, so was there a specific reason behind it?QUOTE (GregF)2) Yes, as a reminder to Mata Nui of his mission.I'm missing a source that tells me (directly) that the GBs modified the Blade Burrowers. But there isn't anything I can think of or find that would confirm that the two GBs in that quote from BS01 modified them. However, it could easily be logically conjectured that since the map was a reminder to Mata Nui of his mission, who else would wish to remind him but the Great Beings? They are the ones who sent him on it in the first place. The question implies, however, that I am missing an official released storyline source. Either that or the asker was just off. And Greg does say "Yes" to the entire question, including the parenthetical. That page was probably built before this whole "hidden GB" thing came up. It is possible that those two GBs did the modification, but unlikely, because:

And this may actually be more likely, because I got the impression the hidden GB was trying hard to just hide, and we do know the GBs put in the destiny system which had many very specific effects. Still, I think that GB was in there to watch over the MU or something like that, yeah? And if he noticed Mata Nui had forgotten his mission (or mostly forgotten) it would make sense then that he'd act to make a reminder.In fact I'd say this is strongly supported by the mysterious nature of the reminder. The original GBs would have had no reason to be so subtle that I can think of -- they could just set up a contingency program to send a mental "text message" to Mata Nui's central processor reminding him of his purpose. But a GB in hiding would have every reason to be very subtle.

Edited by fishers64

That would be suggesting that the GB was in Kalmah's realm. Therefore, the most plausible explanation as to who the GB is is Kalmah. I KNEW IT!

No, Kalmah was confused about what happened to the burrowers. If this theory is true, it automatically rules him out as the GB. Which reminds me of this:

This is brilliant.A concrete argument for who the undercover GB might be. Definitely deserves the "Key to Nongu". But who do YOU think the character you specify IS?

No idea. However, if this theory is true it would rule out some people for being the GB, like Kalmah, and cast serious doubt on others being it. (I'm thinking of the other Barraki on that case, and anyone who would be noticed, like Artahka, although he could have sent a minion)

Alright, I looked into the Blade Burrowers - 2 Great Beings matter. The reason why you did not find any quotes on the relationship between those two is because there was some sort of data wipe out from September 2008 to March 2009. The quote you want to find would have been found in between January and February 2009. It's pretty much gone.Also, the Blade Burrowers BS01 page contains the information as well.

jlovfkk.jpg

Alright, I looked into the Blade Burrowers - 2 Great Beings matter. The reason why you did not find any quotes on the relationship between those two is because there was some sort of data wipe out from September 2008 to March 2009. The quote you want to find would have been found in between January and February 2009. It's pretty much gone.Also, the Blade Burrowers BS01 page contains the information as well.

Well, I can't access the "current" Blade Burrowers BS01 page either, due to BS01's current mangled state. Devious me, I used the Internet Wayback Machine to find the page, and look what happened to me. So basically the current data deficiency has warped my mind. That's a huge blindside mess that needs corrected. (I mean, even bonesiii was fooled. And I wasn't going for the evil mastermind thing, either)