General Art Contest #18: Lego Battlescapes

bonesiii

lego_battlescapes_banner2.png

Welcome to the first-ever General Art contest since this forum changed to a LEGO-in-general focus, and the 18th contest total! This contest's theme is LEGO Battlescapes.What is a battlescape?Well, use your imagination! It can be a vast landscape with thousands of warriors, or it could be two opponents only with a backdrop (like the banner above). It could be Bionicle, Ninjago, perhaps LEGO Universe against the Maelstrom, Hero Factory, maybe real-world-like -- whatever you want! It could fit with canon or be purely made-up. It could even be a fusion of styles, like System plus Technic. You decide!Categories for this contest will NOT be decided ahead of time. I will decide them for the polls based on how many entries of what kinds we get.Plus, there's a twist -- you get to enter more than one image! Up to three per member. :) See rules below for the limitations.Entry period begins now; ends on Tuesday May 15, at 11:59 PM EST.(This is the updated, final closing time after two extensions.)Rules:1) All entries must qualify under General Art rules (so no comics or animations). See this forum's rules for more detail.2) Must depict a battle of some kind; a fight between at least two opponents.3) Must include the setting for the battle.4) Must be LEGO-based.5) Each entry must use the entry form below.6) Each member can only enter up to three images.7) You may only have one entry per post (polls will link to posts, so this way it'll be clear which image each link refers to).NOTE: I give permission to double-post after a period of at least three hours if nobody else has posted so that your entries are in individual posts. This exemption only applies to separate entry posts; if you merely want to add a question or make a comment, edit your existing post or wait until someone else posts.8) Each member can only win with one image. Tiebreakers and similar methods will be used as needed.9) Prizes will be determined at a later date. Only the first place category winners are guaranteed prizes, but I will note second and third place winners in the contest archive.10) Prizes may involve mailing, so do not enter unless you are willing to divulge mailing details to BZPower staff (but do not give that out publicly).11) Do not rely on massive filesizes. The entry image you direct-link (display in-post) can only be 500 KB or less in filesize as per BZPower rules, though you may make that a link to a larger version of it that would show detail better (see entry form for more).NOTE: If you are displaying a smaller image to fit in the 500 KB limit, this MUST be a scaled-down version of the entire image, not a cropped portion of the full image.12) You are encouraged to include a thumbnail image that is no larger than 150 pixels by 150 pixels in size, for the polls. You can use cropping, scaling, or both for this, but it must represent your image. If you do not include one, one will be made for you and you might not like it.If anyone needs help resizing images, you may ask for it here or by PMing me (you may link to the large images here before officially entering them in such cases; just don't use the entry form until you have an image small enough).13) Please do not enter the image until you are satisfied it is finished. You may change images minorly (for example, coloring a pencil sketch), but it's best to simply wait and post it closer to the entry period's end. You must notify me of all changes and I reserve the right to deny any change if I think it's too much.NOTE: Likewise if an image you entered violates the rules you may switch it for a qualifying one, but again you must notify me.14) Entries must be appropriate for young children. I reserve the right to disqualify any image I feel crosses the line, and if you are unsure if something is okay, please PM it to me instead of posting.Obviously the issues of violence and physical damage are likely to come up in this one; my general guideline is to use the same rules LEGO used in canon Bionicle, which was basically that any acrobatics and weaponry in battle are fair game, as long as no organic damage is shown. I'll make one part simple -- NO blood allowed, but armor damage and "deconstruction" (as in 2001 Toa canisters or minifigures "smashed") should be fine.15) All art must be new (as in not shown on BZP before).16) No flaming, spamming, impatience-posts, PM advertising, etc. Use common sense as always on BZPower.17) Discussion, questions, and comments about the contest are, yes, are allowed here in the entry topic, in addition to entry posts.18) This contest is open to all BZPower members, staff, and contest assistant(s) (except me).If anyone would like to volunteer to help me keep the entry list up to date, you would be who I mean by contest assistant(s). :P I'll put the entry list at the end of this post, and an assistant could PM me the formatted links for additions to it. (Probably one need one assistant, and that would be less confusing anyways.) Format will be "member's name: entry title" (if titled) as link to post, "thumbnail" link (include even if none provided so one can be added easily), "topic" link (if provided), art medium, LEGO type/genre.Edit: Thanks to Eeko and Bulik for volunteering as assistants. :) No need for more at this time.19) I reserve the right to edit any and all posts, if I spot a problem in them I can fix with no need to consult the poster, especially format problems.20) If you are unsure about anything and don't wish to publicly reveal your plans, please feel free to PM me your question.ENTRY FORM:

Entry title: [this line is optional]Member name: [use the name you want permanently on record][img=UNDER500KBPICURL][url=THUMBURL]Thumbnail[/url]Art medium: [describe briefly if it's hand-drawn, computer art, a mixture of both, sculpture, etc.]Other links: [optional; link development images, and/or a topic for your entry]Artist comments: [Very briefly explain what the image is about.]
Replace "UNDER500KBPICURL" with your entry image, or a scaled down version of it. This should be the ONLY directly-linked (displayed in-post) image in your entry form. All others should be linked to.Replace "THUMBURL" with your thumbnail image (optional; remove that line if you're not doing it).If you wish to make the main image a link to a larger version, replace the img tag line with this:
Click for fullsize:[url=LARGEPICURL][img=UNDER500KBPICURL][/url]
And replace "LARGEPICURL" with the larger version of the entry image.Entry List:[...] Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I will do my darndest to enter this contest.I have a suggestion; why not just have the thumbnails in the polls link to the artwork image? This will make it easier for voters to view the imagery, and eliminate non-artwork factors that could effect voting, such as poor formatting, text presentation, and writing quality of the "Artist Comments". This would be more in the tradition of past contests.- 55555

Well, I might do that. Main reason I wasn't planning to is that some entry pics could be much larger than others, and this way everybody has an image that is easily viewable. I suppose loading the post pages could be just as slow or slower though so yeah probably counterproductive lol. I'll change it if a lot of you think I should. Comment. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hmm... I actually have a question about "Lego-based" works. Would a human version of a minifigure count as "Lego based" if its design resembles the minifigure (say I add more realistic proportions to the Lumberjack minifigure from series 5) or should they resemble more of a minifigure design?This does relate to one of the ideas I had, although I'd have to PM you to know if it's acceptable.

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I figured this question would come up, and I was uncertain what to say for the rules so I didn't, but for now I'll say it should be okay as long as you can tell by looking at the image it's LEGO-based. Some "human Bionicle" art has been just humans that look nothing like LEGO, don't even have masks or anything, and I would not allow that. But yeah, feel free to PM me more detail (that goes for anyone who has this question too).Anything similar to what I did with the elf minifig in the contest banner would be definately okay.

This looks interesting; I already have ideas for my 3 entries (if, of course I get to making them)and exactly how much work do you expect there to be for a contest assistant volunteer?

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I really have no idea; it's the first gen. art contest since the downtime, and a lot of things like activity level changed here at that time.

Yes, but how specific they will be depends on how much of what kind is entered. :)

I really have no idea; it's the first gen. art contest since the downtime, and a lot of things like activity level changed here at that time.

yeah, you have a point. only about 1,500 members or less have visited since the downtime, and probably only a small bit of that visit this forum frequently, and I expect about half of those are artists themselves, and there are only a small amount that enter in contests...I guess I'll volunteer as a contest assistant

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Well, Eeko already volunteered, so... consider yourself backup if he is too busy, okay? And no need for more, thanks guys. :)

Well, Eeko already volunteered, so... consider yourself backup if he is too busy, okay? And no need for more, thanks guys. :)

ah, I knew my hesitation would cause in my future regret! but whatever.

Are realistically drawn versions of Lego characters considered Lego based?

As long as you can tell by looking at it that it's about LEGO characters. If you wanna PM me details of what you have in mind to be sure, go ahead. In general I'd advise against doing "human minifure" that doesn't look LEGO at all.

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time! Let the ideas flow forth...

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...

The only limits are the ones described in the rules. It doesn't even have to be a specific LEGO theme, really, as long as it's clearly LEGO-related. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are pop-art entries à la Roy Lichtenstein resembling comics fine, too?-Gata signoff.jpg

As long as they would belong in General Art and not in Comics.

Member name: CrunchbiteNuvacrunchyentryfinal.jpgThumbnail:http://www.majhost.com/gallery/sik1276/CBart/ACEnties/Battlescape/thumb/crunchyentrythumbnail.jpg_thumb.jpgArt medium: This is a Hand-drawn Inked drawing in which watercolor, pastel and colored pencils were used.Topic: http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=4464Artist comments: The event I'm attempting to depict was Roodaka fighting and capturing the rest of the Toa Hagah team before eventually mutating them into their future Rahaga forms.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I'm very seriously considering an extension for this contest, of one month. If anyone is working on an entry or would need that extension, please lemme know to help me decide. :)

Gah! I totally intended to work more on this, but certain things in life got in the way. @_@I actually have started one. Luckily, I'm pretty quick to finish things in a digital medium, so that particular one won't need an extension. However, I am planning on entering at least two works for this contest, and I'm not sure which medium I'll be working on it with, so I wouldn't mind a week's extension (a month sounds a bit too... long in my opinion, but others might need that time, so I guess I wouldn't mind whatever the decision is).Anyway, I'm not sure my work can compare to Crunchy's entry, but I'll give it my all!. XP I regret nothing!

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

We´re working on an entry and we should get it done by the deadline...although if you want to extend it there is of course nothing to object. ;) One or two weeks should be enough if the problem isn´t missing awareness, though, which I feel it is. Or maybe most artists have simply left BZPower already? :shrugs:-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I would find an extension useful.I think two weeks would be great!

Yeah, my too! I recently had a change of heart and started on my entries, and will have enough time if the deadline is extendedEDIT: is it ok if someone else helps me with my entry? like a sibling coloring it, etc.? Edited by Hippopotomonstrosesquipeda

Yes, I'm officially extending it by two weeks. :)So that puts the new deadline at... *does da maths* Tuesday May 8, at 11:59 PM EST.

Yes, I'm officially extending it by two weeks. :)So that puts the new deadline at... *does da maths* Tuesday May 8, at 11:59 PM EST.

Thank you. I couldn´t have finished it in time. :) You may also want to ask a Reporter to post a news story about this.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^