Set Review: 3183 Stephanie's Cool Convertible

3183_Stephanies_Cool_Convertible_teaser.jpg

Okay, I've got my riot gear on in preparation for this one. Today our esteemed Blog Leader DeeVee takes a look at <a href="http://amzn.to/A2POA2" target="offsite">Stephanie's Cool Convertible</a> from the LEGO Friends line. Before you go all up in arms, take a chance and read the review, you'll learn a lot about the new line and maybe a bit about yourself. Enjoy!

View the full article

I want to buy this for the pieces... but I'll be getting some strange looks walking to the checkout aisle.

the "Pink Ghetto" that is the girls and princess aisle

Simply win. xD

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

I'm sorry, I just can't get the image of DeeVee (formerly known as Darth Vader) walking up and down the pink isle trying to decide which Lego Friends set he should buy out of my head.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

The set doesn't look too bad, but I doubt I will buy it, mostly because I don't really buy LEGO sets anymore.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I'm sorry, I just can't get the image of DeeVee (formerly known as Darth Vader) walking up and down the pink isle trying to decide which Lego Friends set he should buy out of my head.

I know nothing BUT that version of Deevs.I like the car in this. It reminds me of a simpler version of the Notstang they sold at the '08 Brickfair. But in more awesomer colours. Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

For the record, I did not get angry at this review. We lost our review-virginity to sets like these about a year ago. I did have to stop reading after I read this line, however.

...there is a wealth of other great LEGO construction lines they might like instead (MAY I SUGGEST HERO FACTORY BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME AND I LOVE IT).

Nothing against you, but at least I can keep myself pure when talking about the Usurper.

mata_nui_inc_auditions.jpg

92% of teens have moved on to Xbox 360. 7.9% still use other game systems (PS3 and Wii). If you are part of the 0.1% who still use the only real game system (PC), copy and paste this into your sig.

I'm sorry, I just can't get the image of DeeVee (formerly known as Darth Vader) walking up and down the pink isle trying to decide which Lego Friends set he should buy out of my head.-don't touch my pocket protector

Haha, it was actually an agonizing decision. I'm lucky Jen was such a great host and was like "FINE, since you CAN'T DECIDE, you're getting THIS ONE."

For the record, I did not get angry at this review. We lost our review-virginity to sets like these about a year ago. I did have to stop reading after I read this line, however.

...there is a wealth of other great LEGO construction lines they might like instead (MAY I SUGGEST HERO FACTORY BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME AND I LOVE IT).

Nothing against you, but at least I can keep myself pure when talking about the Usurper.
What.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

What's there to be mad about? Hopefully DV will review more of these!

Maybe next time you could go out and buy the absolute biggest Friends set, and then Smeag and DeeVee could do a Joint Review of Awesomeness. With Smeag's experience from the Pink Box, and DeeVee's exposure to Friends, I think you could produce the best review in BZPower history.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I think he's talking about the Hero Factory line in the brackets.But anyway, great review! I'm now cautiously optimistic about Friends, I still probably won't buy any sets, since I never buy sets for just parts, but they don't look half bad.~ELM~
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

I, for one, can practically guarantee that I won't last the whole year without getting one of these sets just to "test the waters" of this theme. I hope BZP continues to do great reviews like this!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Dear BZP set reviewers,I'm pretty sure the majority of BZPower is males ages 12-20. The other members include teenage girls, and younger boys. I do not think teenage girls, and boys of any age will be buying this set. And if they do, they most likely will not care about the set itself, but rather just the pieces.

Dear BZP set reviewers,I'm pretty sure the majority of BZPower is males ages 12-20. The other members include teenage girls, and younger boys. I do not think teenage girls, and boys of any age will be buying this set. And if they do, they most likely will not care about the set itself, but rather just the pieces.

Uhhhh... Did you miss the part where members kept posting in here saying they would like to buy it, or the part where in the review I mention that I got it with a group of friends, and that we all picked out different sets and that we got them for us? Not just to review?

Like I said in an earlier post, I'll probably be getting one of these Friends sets before the year is through. I rarely disassemble my sets for the parts. And I am one of these 20-year-old males you speak of.I applaud BZP for diversifying the scope of the site in general, as well as which reviews get frontpaged.

Haha man I love the conceit of this post; it's hilarious. Even if the assumption about BZ's majority not being interested in the set were true (it's not), it's basically outright saying "You shouldn't ever discuss something that doesn't appeal to the majority," or more accurately "The minority doesn't matter."bro that aaaaaaaain't cool, yo
bring back "an cool dude"

This was an excellent review. There is a lot of misunderstanding in the marketplace concerning these sets, however. My sister, who would buy these sets for my niece was under the impression that the pieces were larger than standard bricks, probably because the minidolls are larger. In my TRU in Calgary, Canada, these sets are both in the lego and girly aisles.

Verily, I say unto you, these words which you will never find on a Lego box: "No Assembly Required".

Play well, friends.

Haha man I love the conceit of this post; it's hilarious. Even if the assumption about BZ's majority not being interested in the set were true (it's not), it's basically outright saying "You shouldn't ever discuss something that doesn't appeal to the majority," or more accurately "The minority doesn't matter."bro that aaaaaaaain't cool, yo
Well when you put it that way...

Like I said in an earlier post, I'll probably be getting one of these Friends sets before the year is through. I rarely disassemble my sets for the parts. And I am one of these 20-year-old males you speak of.I applaud BZP for diversifying the scope of the site in general, as well as which reviews get frontpaged.

Uhhhh... Did you miss the part where members kept posting in here saying they would like to buy it, or the part where in the review I mention that I got it with a group of friends, and that we all picked out different sets and that we got them for us? Not just to review?
Dear BZP people who I offended with my last post,Sorry. I was tired and grumpy.-Zarohum

How is the controversy "stupid?" It's a perfectly relevant argument, and your dismissal of its significance is extremely "stupid." And for your information, I (and the rest of us in the campaign to bring it down) never said it was simplified or pre-assembled or whatever; We thought it stereotyped enormously, which, in our opinion (which is looked down upon very rudely around here), it does.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I (and the rest of us in the campaign to bring it down) never said it was simplified or pre-assembled

Actually, a [more prevalent and vocal] movement made this claim significantly, along with some other unusual accusations. Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I think he's talking about the Hero Factory line in the brackets.~ELM~
Righteeo old chap! (the "Usurper" term is HF)

Careful, your bias is showing.photo-thumb-103154.jpg
True, but my bias is unbiased. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif Edited by The G-Man

92% of teens have moved on to Xbox 360. 7.9% still use other game systems (PS3 and Wii). If you are part of the 0.1% who still use the only real game system (PC), copy and paste this into your sig.

How is the controversy "stupid?" It's a perfectly relevant argument, and your dismissal of its significance is extremely "stupid." And for your information, I (and the rest of us in the campaign to bring it down) never said it was simplified or pre-assembled or whatever; We thought it stereotyped enormously, which, in our opinion (which is looked down upon very rudely around here), it does.

The controversy is stupid because the arguments behind it are stupid. There is nothing wrong with girls and boys liking pink, "stereotypically girly" things. This line is NOT aimed at ALL girls, or even just girls. It is also not the only line for girls. They are LEGO sets for the girls and boys who would usually buy Barbies, Princesses, and other things, of which there is nothing wrong. TLG has said outright that they welcome parents to buy any set from any line for children, boys or girls. You are the one who is making gender claims, not me, not TLG. You are the one claiming that girls can't like engineering, fashion design, veterinary medicine, etc. That's pretty insulting of you to say. These girls are all successful business women. There is nothing insulting about that at all.And yeah, your opinion is looked down on. Because it's wrong! Period. Exclamation mark.

I think he's talking about the Hero Factory line in the brackets.~ELM~
Righteeo old chap! (the "Usurper" term is HF)

Careful, your bias is showing.photo-thumb-103154.jpg
True, but my bias is unbiased. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif
This is the most contradictory statement I've ever seen. Is your hate also unhateful? Is your bitterness also unbitter? Bionicle ended because it couldn't keep going, and if Hero Factory hadn't replaced it something else would.Continuing to complain about BIONICLE being replaced by Hero Factory is like complaining about Dumbledore's original actor being replaced in the Harry Potter movies. The original died. The only options were replacing it or leaving it gone and offering no replacement at all.

This is the most contradictory statement I've ever seen. Is your hate also unhateful? Is your bitterness also unbitter? Bionicle ended because it couldn't keep going, and if Hero Factory hadn't replaced it something else would.Continuing to complain about BIONICLE being replaced by Hero Factory is like complaining about Dumbledore's original actor being replaced in the Harry Potter movies. The original died. The only options were replacing it or leaving it gone and offering no replacement at all.

Apparently, thy hath no sense of humor. I do not hate Hero Factory. I dislike it, mainly because it lacks the great lore which made Bionicle a true mythology. HF is more like Robocop than a mythology. It's just not for me, as well as many Bionicle fans I know. The beauty of Bionicle was (with the exception of 2009) that it grew and matured alongside it's fans; much like harry Potter, since you see fit to mention it. If HF can do that for it's target audience, which is decidedly younger than Bionicle's, I may come to respect it.But Bionicle did not die. How dare you. It is in a deep slumber, waiting to be awakened again; a perfect allegory for it's main storyline. The comparison of Bionicle vs. HF to the first and second dumbledore doesn't even apply.*sees this post has nothing to do with Lego Friends.* Um, yeah... the convertable is cool I guess. ^_^ Edited by The G-Man

But Bionicle did not die. How dare you. It is in a deep slumber, waiting to be awakened again; a perfect allegory for it's main storyline.

Bionicle was financially irresponsible of TLG to continue, it had extremely slipping and low sales, and continuing it was corporate suicide. So yes, it died. It is gone. TLG has stated, publicly, that it is not coming back.

The controversy is stupid because the arguments behind it are stupid. There is nothing wrong with girls and boys liking pink, "stereotypically girly" things. This line is NOT aimed at ALL girls, or even just girls. It is also not the only line for girls. They are LEGO sets for the girls and boys who would usually buy Barbies, Princesses, and other things, of which there is nothing wrong. TLG has said outright that they welcome parents to buy any set from any line for children, boys or girls. You are the one who is making gender claims, not me, not TLG. You are the one claiming that girls can't like engineering, fashion design, veterinary medicine, etc. That's pretty insulting of you to say. These girls are all successful business women. There is nothing insulting about that at all.And yeah, your opinion is looked down on. Because it's wrong! Period. Exclamation mark.
You know what? I've been real nice and polite to you for the past months as you've dismissed my arguments, made false claims of their irrelevance, and even insulted me. And I'm sick of it. I'm going to say this really straightforwardly, and if anyone gets upset, you've insulted me first. Your complete disregard for someone else's perfectly relevant argument, to the point of being personally insulting, is what's wrong, and stupid, here. Your complete lack of knowledge to this entire is extremely stupid . You claim that I'm the only one making this claim, but as you stupidly were too lazy to do any research beforehand, you missed the extremely obvious fact that a widespread campaign exists on the web to take Lego Friends down. You stupidly think this is because I don't want women to be successful. I'll have you know that I'm against this because of the enormous stereotype of women's fashion/beauty obsession, and a very sexist association of the color pink with girls. If they mixed some "masculine" colors in with these and maybe mixed some "feminine" colors in with the "boy" sets, I'd be fine with it. Finally, you extremely stupidly dismiss this entire claim as being wrong, solely based on your personal views. So on a Lego Discussion Forum, I can no longer even state my own opinion? No wonder everybody (save the few hundred active members) hates this site. I think your entire post was stupid, and wrong....I think I was pretty polite, all things considered.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

You claim that I'm the only one making this claim, but as you stupidly were too lazy to do any research beforehand, you missed the extremely obvious fact that a widespread campaign exists on the web to take Lego Friends down.

He doesn't claim that you're the only one, just that you're making arguments which aren't substantive.And this "widespread campaign" is falsely assuming that these sets are some junky juniorized Barbie stuff, which after reading the review you should have learned isn't the case. Sounds like they were too lazy to do any research.

Finally, you extremely stupidly dismiss this entire claim as being wrong, solely based on your personal views.

Generally arguments are based on people's personal views.And occasionally facts, which is the case here.

So on a Lego Discussion Forum, I can no longer even state my own opinion?

You can, and so can everyone else.Unless you mean "I can no longer state my opinion without having people disagree with me", in which case yeah you're out of luck there.

No wonder everybody (save the few hundred active members) hates this site.

Is this another one of those "last time I checked" statistics?anywayAs a set this looks decent, though if it didn't have the vibrant colors it wouldn't stand out much from other LEGO cars, but since it does it looks pretty cool. Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg