Short Stories Contest #9: In The Darkness Bind Them

Velox

Also, just had to note...

He's won SS contests before, and despite the fact he's confessed to never reading the books, he's a tough act to follow. :P

It was one, foursomething years ago, the plural was not necessary and makes me sound like larger competition than I actually am. XD-Kagha
bannae.png

Also, just had to note...

He's won SS contests before, and despite the fact he's confessed to never reading the books, he's a tough act to follow. :P

It was one, foursomething years ago, the plural was not necessary and makes me sound like larger competition than I actually am. XD-Kagha
You beat Lady K and Saya in that contest, plus everyone else that entered. If that doesn't make you serious competition, I don't know what does. :P-Inferna

When is it going to end?

Well, the entry period has passed. As for when People's Choice voting and results are put up, it depends on the judges' schedules; hopefully not more than a few weeks at the latest. :)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

To be honest, I'm not too strung up on word count all the time unless there's an insane max/min to follow. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me to write a "monster story" so long as the story itself gets told effectively. Quality over quantity, hey?-Kagha

Amen to that! I don't try to conform to a word count unless I have to. Otherwise I just write a piece as long or as short as it needs to be to tell the story I want to tell. The quality of your story is, as you say, more important than the length. I once wrote--for the BZP library summer olympics in, if I remember correctly, 2010--a 10,000 word story in the space of three days, and it is one of the worst things I've ever written. Although, at the time, it was probably the best. . . . Amazing how quickly one's writing (from grammar to wordsmithery) can improve (or one can delude oneself it has :P).

When is it going to end?

That's a very general question. To what "it" are you referring? A series of television shows or novels? An economical situation? An ant's journey across your lawn? The competition you share with your neighbor with regard to said lawn and his or her own? The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to? The world as we know it?
Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

The entry list was posted in the order that the entries were entered, with the most-recent first. (if I missed anyone else's question, please re-post it)newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

This seems to be nerd heaven for many. :P This looks pretty fun so far - I wish good luck to everybody. ^^

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

And the polls have been posted.Go vote!newso1.png

I think I like this form of voting better ...Sorry, Kagha, can't vote for you in the Tolkien Inspiration poll; you haven't read the books. :P-Inferna

So like the last contest, these are kind of like the runner ups, but only behind one in each category?

These are the top of each category. Each of the Winning stories was judged as a whole, the stories in the polls were judged on specific triats. The winners are the entries that were judged to be the best stories, these are judged to be the best in specific areas.One way to think of it is like this. The Contest Winners are winners of the Best Story category, while the other stories are winners of less important categories: Best Use Of Tolkienian Inspiration, Best Chracterization, and Best Ending.Kind of difficult to explain clearly. :P- 55555 Edited by 55555

So like the last contest, these are kind of like the runner ups, but only behind one in each category?

No, it's a little different this time. The category nominations and the actual winners are two separate things, so potentially a story could win in both the actual contest and for a specific category. The judges gave their top stories, those were added up and we came up with three winners (first, second, and third place); then we asked the judges to give us nominations for those three categories, which included any and all stories. So, just because a story is in the polls does not mean it didn't win a place in the contest either -- it could win in both. Does that make sense? I can try to explain it better if not. Edit: yeah, John probably explained it better, since he was the one that handled most of the judging stuff.newso1.png Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

• 3 weeks later...