Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

Well, just checked out the Eva 13 Revoltech, really like how it comes with

two bodies, one with two arms and one with four. I was expecting just one body, and the arms would fold out or something.

The accessories that come with these figures never cease to amaze me.

So I just finished Eureka Seven. It was truly really great, although I don't think I truly understood the ending.

Any thoughts on AO? Is that worth watching?

In my opinion, no. Don't expect many cameos from the original cast and I felt really disappointed by the writing. Personally, I enjoyed the first half of the show but it seemed to fall on its face because of how fast the pacing was in order to meet the 26 episode limit. I still enjoy it better than the Eureka 7 movie that came out a while ago, though.

-Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns-

-Yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope-

And here I was not knowing there was even a beta.

Okay I see the difference now. I'll probably try to get my hands on both.

I just hope I can get other things like the Nori (Hidamari Sketch) nendoroid whenever that comes out, and any 10032 figures I assume will be coming out with Railgun S.

Edited by Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

So I'm kinda hoping that Devil Survivor 2: The Animation will be the new scenario in Devil Survivor 2: Break Record. So far, I like it better except for a few changes

well, actually, the only change I really didn't like was that Joe's girlfriend died, but I was fine with everything else

and if Yamato's sister shows up, (which I think she will, considering how she'll need a VA in Break Record), I'll be convinced that this is the Break Record story.Yeah, and since it's more of an alternate retelling than a straight-up adaptation, I'm not really worried about it being only 13 episodes anymore.

My Anime that I have seen

-Naruto

-Persona 4 the Animation

-Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood

-Gundam 00

That I'm watching

-Gurren Lagann(NOOOOO KAMINA)

That I want to watch

-FLCL

-Code Geass

-Evangelion

-Cowbow Bebop(My friend says it's awesome)

Any of you dudes watching Valvrave? I don't usually follow currently airing series because my backlog is big enough to hold me over, but once I saw the RAD mecha designs I couldn't keep away.

Only one episode's out so far, it seems promising.

WHY DIDN"T I SEE THIS SOONER?

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

OH YES!!!Blazblue got greenlit for an anime adaptation! Expecting great things, since its already a great visual novel with a bunch if interesting characters.Of course, I'm hoping that they do some of the Gag Endings as hilarious OVAs, or even an entirely different series. That would make some heck of a comedy series.

Well, there's some new info about the BlazBlue anime:

Arc System Works presented the story, cast, and staff for BlazBlue Alter Memory, the upcoming anime of its fighting game franchise, at its Arc System Works Festival event in Yokohama on Sunday.The story is set in December of 2199, when the streets are full of anticipation for the end of the year and the start of the new one. Amid the celebrations, word spreads that Ragna the Bloodedge, an SS-class rebel with the highest ever bounty on his head, has appeared in the 13th Hierarchical City of Kagutsuchi. The apparent aim of Ragna or the "Grim Reaper" is the destruction of the system controlling the world. To collect the bounty, a motley array of unrivaled fighters converge on Kagutsuchi.The games' cast members reprise their roles in the anime:Tomokazu Sugita as Ragna the BloodedgeKanako Kondou as Noel VermillionTetsuya Kakihara as Jin KisaragiKana Ueda as Rachel AlucardYūichi Nakamura as HazamaChiwa Saito as TaokakaChiaki Takahashi as Litchi Faye-LingKenji Nomura as Iron TagerAsami Imai as Tsubaki YayoiChie Matsuura as KokonoeTomomi Isomura as Makoto NanayaThe games' Toshimichi Mori is supervising the project, and Hideki Tachibana (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira) is directing the anime at teamKG and Hoods Entertainment. Seiji Mizushima (Fullmetal Alchemist, Mobile Suit Gundam 00) is collaborating on the direction. Deko Akao (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Mysterious Girlfriend X) is overseeing the series scripts being co-written by Tatsuya Takahashi (The IDOLM@STER, Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~). Tomoyuki Shitaya (Bakuman., Hatsukoi Limited, Kiss×sis) is serving as both character designer and chief animation director. The rest of the staff includes:Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda (Atelier Musa)Color Key: Haruko Nobori (Hiwa)Director of Photography: Koujirou Hayashi (Graphinica)Editor: Masato Yoshitake (Graphinica)Sound Director: Masaki TsuchiyaSound Production: Studio MausuMusic Production: LantisThe anime will premiere this fall.

This is gonna be interesting to see, though I feel the fact a new Guilty Gear was announced is probably going to overshadow it. Sad to see they've cut Bang from the looks of things, though.

Dude is so amazing, needs a spin off series, etc.

hElbrZ6.gif

It took almost an entire year, but I finished my HG Kshatriya last weekend. Still have to panel line, but I think I did a pretty good job on painting the sleeves with a paintbrush that was way too big, since I didn't have any microapplicators. Then the next day I built my HG Stark Jegan (planning on painting all those verniers, too), and then a few days later I built an HG Gelgoog Cannon. The difference between the 0079 suits like the old Zaku II and GM and newer ones like the Geara Zulu and Jesta in terms of detail is pretty amazing.

Also, I really, really don't want to wait a whole year for the last episode of Unicorn. I want to see what they end up doing with the Kshatriya Besserung, and Banshee Norn. Also huge robot fight scenes. There weren't too many in episode 6...

Edit: I love my grandma. (And apparently these came from a 7-11 in Hong Kong so that's nice too)

Edited by ~Allegretto~
19704_s.gif

This is gonna be interesting to see, though I feel the fact a new Guilty Gear was announced is probably going to overshadow it. Sad to see they've cut Bang from the looks of things, though. Dude is so amazing, needs a spin off series, etc.

I'm almost positive Bang will be in this. I mean, Litchi, Carl, and Tao are his supporting characters. His absence in the initial cast list really doesn't mean anything, characters are left out all the time.I remember when the Devil Survivor 2 cast list was released, and Joe was absent from the list, and everyone started freaking out because he wasn't there, and then he appeared in one of the trailers.

Looks rad dude. I want to try out some Gunpla but I fear I won't have the time and/or patience for it, so I waste spend all my money on Robot Spirits figures instead.

I started when I was a kid. If a 7 year old could do it so can you. :P

Models don't take too long to finish, anyway; HGs can be finished in a couple hours; MGs take longer but the result is worth it, and IMO much more satisfying than just buying figures premade. Don't worry about things like painting, I'm just starting myself.

19704_s.gif

So I watched the first half of Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars last night, only having to stop because I have to do schoolwork today.

Oh my god.

That was legitimately amazing. Very easily a great watch, and my knowledge of the following OVA series tells me it only gets better from here.

Seriously, go watch this. It only takes an hour of your time.

hElbrZ6.gif

SAO was pretty average, IMO, the pacing in the first half was killed by the main story taking backseat to a bunch of side stories which had no point other than introducing minor characters who would get under half a minute of screentime in the rest of the entire series, and the second half just didn't feel as important, and the best part was probably the battle in the real world.

Anyways, as much as I thought it was just average, I hope for more seasons. Mainly because GunGale Online sounds pretty cool, and I've heard the story gets better after the ALO arc.

Anyways, my Yukiko Amagi (from Persona 4: The Animation) figma arrived from Japan yesterday! The details on it were a good bit better than I was expecting, and this was a deal for a little over $25.

img_20130520_181422.jpg

No....

There are more seasons

And Terminus, although the side-story bit does seem like that at times, I really liked how it shows all the big moments in Kirito's life while in the game. Plus, the writing for the side-stories was great

Edited by The Lonesome Wanderer

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Not to start an argument, but Sword Art Online (and other anime like it) are considered as being one season. It has 2 cours, which are about 13 episodes or 3 months long. Basically, it has two "parts" because it covered two arcs, but since it ran continuously for 25 episodes, it is still considered one season.

SAO was actually my first anime that I started watching last November. Since then, I've watched about 40 anime ranging from good to amazing to downright terrible. But SAO still has that nostalgic feeling for me because there was nothing else like it at the time. I have no doubt that it'll eventually get another season (it sold like crazy) and the Gun Gale Online arc would make for an interesting setting. I've also heard that the story gets a lot better with the upcoming arcs.

Is it common for light novel series to get licensed for North American distribution? I'd love to read it other than reading a fansub online somewhere.

In general, I just hate side stories and filler arcs, but it was probably made even worse for SAO by the fact that I was waiting for something to happen in the main story, and all we got was side story stuff for about a month. I probably wouldn't have minded so much if they released them as separate OVAs or if I hadn't been following the simulcast, but they killed the pace for those following it as it was airing.I have a feeling that people who started SAO after the side stories have a much better impression of the people who followed it from the beginning.Anyways, nobody really publishes LNs in NA. Tokyopop used to (when they still existed), but I haven't seen anyone else really do any LNs, Manga is much bigger.

Edited by Terminus24

Is it common for light novel series to get licensed for North American distribution? I'd love to read it other than reading a fansub online somewhere.

Nope. Light novels don't sell well enough to get a distributor to notice, barring rare series like The Slayers, and even those never get completed.

And finished LoGH: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars.

okay, I'm gonna be blunt here. If you like anime at all, download this and watch it. It is well living up to the praises LoGH gets as one of the, if not the, best anime of all time. And this will basically tell you if it's for you or not.

hElbrZ6.gif

I have LoGH ready to watch on my computer. I'll probably do it over the weekend, when I have time.Anyways, this week's DeSu2 ended on an interesting note.

Three characters got "killed" (Ronaldo, Otome, and Joe), although I'm suspicious of their deaths as we never actually see their bodies or actual deaths, outside the death clip.

Anyways, I wonder how it'll continue from here... I can really only see it going with a new ending, it's far too different from the game now to really go any of the game's routes.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S is looking to be one of the best anime that I've seen, and not really at all because of my pre-existing attachment to the franchise and the characters.

I also just finished the original Macross series. It was pretty good, and I'm sort of surprised at how well the older animation holds up when compared to some modern stuff. And now I'm really, really looking forward to rewatching Macross Frontier. And oh man that Kanno Yoko soundtrack.

Edited by Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S is looking to be one of the best anime that I've seen, and not really at all because of my pre-existing attachment to the franchise and the characters.

I agree, and I really wasn't much of a fan of the first Railgun, so there's that.

AXKP5KC.png

Namco Bandai is taking the Super Robot Taisen formula and making a similar crossover with anime heroines. Super Heroine Chronicle is a strategy RPG in development for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3. The game brings together heroines from ten different anime and manga series. Heres a list of confirmed series so far from Dengeki PlayStation:Twin AngelKyousogigaDi Gi CharatSwan Song of the Valkyries: SymphogearSuper SonicoHigurashi When They CryAria the Scarlet AmmoInfinite StratosThe Familiar of ZeroDream Hunter RemCharacters in Super Heroine Chronicle will have toon rendering so expect cel-shaded graphics. Shinichiro Otsuka (Blue Roses, Eternal Poison), Satoshi Urushihara (Growlanser), and Toru Minazuki (To Heart) are artists for the game.Super Heroine Chronicle plays like a traditional turn based strategy RPG where you move on a map and attack each turn The direction you attack can damage the battlefield and change the terrain. Characters have combination attacks too.It sounds like Super Heroine Chronicle will have an amusing story since the setting takes place in a school in Akihabara thats underneath a dome.

So uh, this is happening.Cast list is disappointing. Pretty much is Super Harem Wars.Gonna pass on this one, unless the cast suddenly becomes amazing.EDIT:Finished up Maze Megaburst Space last night.I won't say it's a good show- it's honestly a pretty schlocky 90s anime- but it's definitely a fun series if you can get into it. I'd give it a 3/5. Edited by Alastor MacBatman

hElbrZ6.gif

So I went on a big animeing adventure this past week due to the power of Hulu and free trials and being super cheap.

Finished up Bleach, and all-around I ended up enjoying it. This is proooobaaablyyyy because roughly 40% of my opinion of anime is based on the music, and Bleach rarely disappointed. Melody of the Wild Dance is one of the best openings I've seen.

After that I started watching 4 different series, because I suck. The first was Angel Beats!, which I actually finished. It was really, really funny and really, really sad, and I loved it. Its shortness is its only drawback.

Then I started Medaka Box. The aesthetic is great, and in this time that every character is called a Sue at some point, I think it's refreshing to have a character like Medaka who is an unarguable Mary Suepreme. I'm not being sarcastic. Also Gainax is doing it, so after the genre shift it should get pretty intense.

After that I started Birdy the Mighty: Decode. The animation and action scenes are fantastic from what I've seen.

Theeen lastly Sword Art Online. Visually it's one of the best I've seen, though the pacing ultimately feels a bit off. I think it's still pretty great, but I dunno. I'm barely starting the ALO arc, so I guess I'll see.

Anyway, watching 3 separate series now apparently. I am so organized.

AXKP5KC.png

The first was Angel Beats!, which I actually finished. It was really, really funny and really, really sad, and I loved it. Its shortness is its only drawback.

Ah, yes, that's one of my favorites. The rocket chair scene doesn't seem to get old, and it's probably one of the best comedy moments in any anime I've seen.

After that I started Birdy the Mighty: Decode. The animation and action scenes are fantastic from what I've seen.

BTM seems to be rather underrated, IMO. It's a fun action show that has a pretty good story, but almost nobody I know has seen it.

Theeen lastly Sword Art Online. Visually it's one of the best I've seen, though the pacing ultimately feels a bit off. I think it's still pretty great, but I dunno. I'm barely starting the ALO arc, so I guess I'll see.

Pacing killed SAO for anyone who was following it as it aired. Might try watching a bunch of episodes at once sometime to see if I like it better that way, but I might want to wait until a second season is announced to do a recap.Oh, and for Visuals/Music, I've yet to see anything that beats Guilty Crown. Not the best storyline, but visuals and music definitely make up for it.

I just started watching DeSu2 the Animation KIIIIIIIIAAAAATAAAAA!!!!

That was one of my favorite parts of the series so far. I hated him in the game.

Anyways, finally got around to seeing last week's DeSu2, and wow that was intense. Flashy action, a good bit of suspense, and the fact that it was both really similar and extremely different from the game made it really exciting.

And, I wasn't expecting that Hibiki would enter awesome-mode, and I didn't expect the sorta cliffhanger ending. Anyways, quite excited for the finale soon.

And after the newest one, I'm expecting that only

Hibiki, Daichi, Io, and possibly The Anguished One

will go to Polaris. And ever since

Hibiki rejected Yamato, I've expected Yamato's death, which will probably happen in the next episode, and I think Makoto might go down with him. I'm still kinda unsure about The Anguished One, he most likely won't use his Septentrion form to fight humanity, since he's come to like humanity, but he might to protect Hibiki and kill Yamato.

Edited by Terminus24

I'm only on chapter 36 ; ; but man if things get even more intense than they have been already...

Of Soul Eater? The anime only covered the first 35 chapters faithfully, which is a shame, because the series starts getting really really good right after the BREW arc. Though this last arc is the trippiest and most intense of them all.

Though this is making me remember that I haven't gotten volumes 13 or 14 and now I'm all bummed.

Also I started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica and what even are these witches.

Edited by ///dotcom///

AXKP5KC.png