Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

Oh, I was thinking that the three shorts I watched a while back were the three episodes available on crunchyroll. Which is especially confusing since the page lists episodes 1, 2, and 3, and I'm almost positive the first 3 shorts that comprise episode 1 were numbered 1,2, and 3.

I'm positive that it's the most confusing show listing on the site.

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!!!

Or, more accurately, something relating to the Sailor Moon anime might possibly be happening next week. We don't quite know what it is yet...

All I can say is, with all these delays, it better be really good.

EDIT: turns out that the countdown was for some promo art. Now I'm starting to believe that it may actually happen in July...

Edited by Raku Ichijo

That is some seriously gorgeous promo art, though. A lot better than what Takeuchi's done with digital coloring these last few years.

EDIT: Intro got leaked/released. Trash-y cover of Moonlight Densetsu with autotuned vocals that sound horrible. Bleh.

Edited by iHodor

hElbrZ6.gif

That's the original anime song, right?

The English dub already kinda ruined the song for me, so I'll most likely skip past the OPs.

And I just noticed that some of the shows I'm following this season are ending as early as this week... Hopefully the short break between this season and next season will be enough to catch up on my backlog...

IT'S A GUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Gundam:The Origin I - 2015

"G-Origin will be 4 part OVA, similar format to UC, and will NOT covers the whole manga or its whole POV, instead will only focus on Char/Sayla PoV"

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMo9sV_T-c

Gundam Reconguista in G or ‘g-Reko -2014'

A new Gundam series by series creator Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_kQZLb64E

Real G - Next Project -2019

Not a lot revealed but it’s something about a 1/1 moving Gundam.

Gundam Unicorn Episode 7: Over the Rainbow Pv1

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_9kA4UZA5kM

hElbrZ6.gif

I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I had seen the original about a year or so ago, and really loved it, and decided to give the "second" one a try.

I would have to say that, while FMA:B is more epic, I actually liked the original more, with the alt dimension thing and the fact that it was more...emotional I guess.

Soon I'm going to start watching a short (3 episodes) one called Le Portrait de Petit Cossette.

I also recently watched Baccano!. I'd have to say that's one of my favorites now. The characters, the plot, everything about it was awesome.

I'm also watching this goofy little OVA show thing called Haiyoru! Nyaruani that's oddly amusing.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I just watched Le Portrait De Petit Cossette. Wow. I really liked it.

But I have a query for you all now: I'm looking for a new show to watch. I have a backup list if necessary, but I'm wondering if there are any you would suggest to me.

Here are a few...details on what I'm looking for.

1. Plot. I love plot. Make it complicated and good.

2. Not shonen. Or, more specifically, not a fight-every-five-minutes shonen. I don't mind fighting, but I don't particularly like anime centered around it. I also don't really like chi/chakra/ki/etc. stuff. Especially when there is a way of "counting" it.

3. No scantily-clad female (or male 0.o) characters. That drives me nuts.

3. I guess this is sort of re-iterating the first detail, but story is an important thing. Tying into that, characters are important. I like backstory and stuff. Also, I don't particularly care if it is fantasy/scifi/real life, but if I had to choose, I would say something scifi-ish.

I also prefer dubbed anime, but that isn't necessary. I also prefer shows in the 13-60 episode range, not, y'know, 500-600 *cough Naruto cough* I also like things that are (or get) dark and/or eerie. I also prefer them to be (usually) serious. I don't mind the light-hearted episode every now and then, but nothing too over-the-top.

Some anime that I have seen, and really like are: Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Mushi-Shi, Last Exile, Baccano, and Pumpkin Scissors.

I don't mind drama.

From what I've seen of Soul Eater though, I'm not particularly interested in it. Looks a bit too...well, fight-centered. Like, even if there isn't much for fights themselves, it seems rather centered on them.

I could be completely off on that, though. I might look into it more.

How do you feel about drama?

One of my personal favorite shows at the moment is Soul Eater, which has:

Dark/eerie tones

Minimal fanservice

Cool fights (but not too many)

Excellent story and characters

Soul Eater is one of my favorites, but...the fanservice isn't exactly minimal, at least not in the first part of the anime. And the fighting is pretty definitely everywhere, and it is a major focus of the series. Soul Eater isn't exactly great for breaking away from shonen tropes, but rather because it just runs with it in a very unique and fun way. So it's pretty certainly about fighting, it's just that's not a bad thing in this one--it doesn't really get in the way of plot or character development. Also, they really are way cool (guillotine priest vs living chainsaw. it is amazing)

AXKP5KC.png

okay with being naked.

wut

that's still one person

Anyway, since I posed my question (which is still open for suggestions, by the way) I've started watching an anime called Boogiepop Phantom.

The show is a lot better than the title of it, I can assure you. It is a horror/mystery/supernatural kinda show, with a feel similar to Mushishi.

Your request made me look over what ive been watching recently, and I realized that Super Sonico The Animation probably had the least fan service out of everything I watched this season. Which absolutely shocked me, considering my minimal knowledge of the character from beforehand, based almost entirely on official art and figures.

Anyways, back to your request: I'd possibly recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode. It's a good sci-fi show that I find far too few people have seen, although it's definitely lacking a solid conclusion. Also, Funimation seriously oversold the fanservice on this one, generally the worst it gets is the main character (Birdy's) combat outfit, which really isn't that bad by general anime standards.

Oh, also Black Butler might be another good show. Almost zero fanservice (as far as I can recall in the first season), an intriguing dark story, a good cast of characters, and an interesting Victorian/Edwardian (can't remember which, it's all the same to me) London setting.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

okay with being naked.

wut

that's still one person

Well, technically she's a cat. A magic shapeshifting cat, but....Soul Eater is just weird sometimes, you know? She does go overboard sometimes, but her presence dies down after a fairly short bit. Most of the fanservice is concentrated in the first 4 or so episodes, honestly. Something usually pops up once in a while, but it's mostly the early series that has that going on.

(And it's not the manga. The Soul Eater manga is so much more fanservicy than the anime. )

AXKP5KC.png

Your request made me look over what ive been watching recently, and I realized that Super Sonico The Animation probably had the least fan service out of everything I watched this season. Which absolutely shocked me, considering my minimal knowledge of the character from beforehand, based almost entirely on official art and figures.

Anyways, back to your request: I'd possibly recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode. It's a good sci-fi show that I find far too few people have seen, although it's definitely lacking a solid conclusion. Also, Funimation seriously oversold the fanservice on this one, generally the worst it gets is the main character (Birdy's) combat outfit, which really isn't that bad by general anime standards.

Oh, also Black Butler might be another good show. Almost zero fanservice (as far as I can recall in the first season), an intriguing dark story, a good cast of characters, and an interesting Victorian/Edwardian (can't remember which, it's all the same to me) London setting.

I'm not really getting what "fanservice" means. :/ I have a personal (don't ask) aversion to Black Butler, though I have debated about watching it.

I just looked up Birdy the Mighty, and it looks interesting, I'm just a bit hung-up on her outfit (or rather, the lack thereof).

NEW INDEX ANIME (most likely) COMING SOON!!! Really excited for the next arc!

And from Wikipedia:

Fan service (ファンサービス fan sābisu), fanservice, or service cut (サービスカット sābisu katto), is a term originating from anime and manga fandom for material in a series which is intentionally added to please the audience. It is about "servicing" the fan - giving the fans "exactly what they want". Fan service usually refers to "gratuitous titillation", but can also refer to intertextual references to other series.

Just watched the last Kill la Kill (No! I don't want it to end!!!). The ending was probably at least twice as epic as the movie version of Gurren Lagann.

Anyways, while it isn't the best anime I've seen, it was definitely the most fun. I'd definitely pay Aniplex's rather expensive prices for the BD when they release it.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that Kill la Kill was really great. I'm not sure if I was as satisfied with how it went down as with previous big moments, but considering how over-the-top the series as a whole has been that's not really anything bad. It was still handled extremely well and I loved it a lot. It was one crazy fun series.

AXKP5KC.png

Your best bet really is the Record of Lodoss War OVA. It's a short 13 episode fantasy series, with little to no fanservice. It's based in a series of 'replays', published manuscripts of tabletop RPGs, that were rewritten into a series of novels- basically it's the best Dungeons and Dragons adaptation ever made. It also has tons more spin offs (a TV series, an RPG book, the Legend of Crystania OVA and movie, and a few of manga) I can't comment on the dub, since I watched it in Japanese, though.

Gankustuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is a fantastic, 10/10 series. Literally a must watch. It's very much a drama series, with very little focus on action- though it's a good deal more sexual than Lodoss was. Still a fantastic series made from a fantastic book.

Berserk is also a great fantasy series (essentially being the Japanese equivalent of A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin), with complex and multi-dimensional characters. That said, Berserk is... Berserk. It's notorious for being incredibly violent, full of disturbing imagery, nudity, gore and... look, it's something that makes you wonder what in God's name is going on in Miura's head. Mind you, I can't say much about either anime, since I haven't finished either the TV series or the movies.

hElbrZ6.gif

Well, Crunchyroll is having their 30-anime mystery box promotion for $30 on their site. I got it last time, and while only about half of it interested me, I was able to trade in the stuff I didnt't want at my local FYE for about $35, so it ended up being a good deal.

It's something I'd definitely recommend (even just for the fun of having no idea what you'll get), although its mostly out-of-print Pioneer and Geneon titles, so most of it is at least 10 years old.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

Just (like literally 30 seconds ago) finished Boogiepop Phantom. It was really really really good. It had a very complex plot, and lots of horror and stuff. Really good. And really, really, really dark.

I'm thinking about watching the Chaos;Head Steins;Gate Robotics;Notes (trilogy?) next. I've heard pretty good stuff about them.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes

Apparently they run in the order C;H, S;G, R;N, though from what I hear they barely have any connections except being placed in the same universe.

I'm only on episode four now, but it's pretty good. It started off a bit...light, but has gotten quite a bit darker and more serious, so that's good.

Also, it's available for streaming on Netflix, if you have that.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes

C;H is on Netflix? *checks PS Vita* Why yes it is. And it looks like they have a better anime selection from two months ago, just added something like three shows to my queue. Haven't been able to use Netflix for a while, but now that I have Internet, I'll finally be able to use it.

Anyways, the Steins;Gate visual novel was released in NA today, I got my download copy and am really enjoying it so far (I'm about two hours in, and not even at the end of the second episode, it's quite a bit more expanded than the anime), and my physical LE copy should be arriving in a few days.

So, few things to recap on what I've been watching:

Finished Samurai Flamenco: The best show of 2013, bar none. Nothing can compare. Its fantastic go see it.

Finished Revolutionary Girl Utena: OH MY GOD THIS SHOW THIS GOD FORSAKEN SHOW YOU MESSED ME UP UTENA YOU MESSED ME UP OH GOD AAAAAAAAA

... Best anime I've ever watched. A true classic. Recommended.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

I've been trying to finally work my way through the anime I've been stalling on for way too long. I'm really close to finishing Toradora! and DRRR! and I just finished Nisemonogatari a day ago or so. I really don't go for the incest thing so that particular series was rather off-putting, but future installments of Monogatari seem far more interesting, at least enough so that I'm willing to keep going with this franchise. I've also been catching up on movies and OVAs I ignored of series I watched a while ago. I've watched the first Tiger & Bunny movie, the Eureka Seven movie, and the Sacred Star of Milos FMA movie. The first two weren't really anything special, the FMA movie was fantastic, as FMA usually is. Also watched the alternate ending for Eureka Seven and the Tetsuwan Birdy OVA. Generally ok stuff. Looking forward to moving on to better stuff in general, though.

AXKP5KC.png

So my copy of Madoka Magica The Movie: Rebellion arrived a day early, and I just finished watching it... I absolutely loved it. Really glad I managed to avoid spoilers, as it's loaded with plot twists that constantly turn the series on its head, and knowing things probably would have ruined it for me. Oh, and it also had some of the most epic battles in the Madokaverse.

And on the flipside, I watched Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works recently, which was pretty disappointing, actually. It was sort of a total mess, save for maybe a few action scenes... But it was just way too ambitious for a single movie.

So my copy of Madoka Magica The Movie: Rebellion arrived a day early, and I just finished watching it... I absolutely loved it. Really glad I managed to avoid spoilers, as it's loaded with plot twists that constantly turn the series on its head, and knowing things probably would have ruined it for me. Oh, and it also had some of the most epic battles in the Madokaverse.

That movie really messed me up :P I thought it was done like halfway into it, and then BAM that things happens and I'm like "woah what? Well that is insane I guess that's how things are gonna be from now on-" BAM the other thing happens and I'm like "huh what what is HAPPENI-" BAM THE TWISTS NEVER END

But I was really happy with it, because it was just so fun to watch and so intense and aaahhh it was wonderful ^^

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

So! I just finished watching episode one of Soul Eater NOT! Being basically the first chapter, it was all around pretty great. I like the voices they got well enough, and it's great to see the setting and characters again after so long. (Although as a big fan of the manga moving the demonstration scene up three chapters or so kinda bothers me since it means we lose out on some pretty good character interactions and brick jokes down the line (unless they repeat the scene later on? which would be weird) Sorta feels like they just put it in to have more Maka and Soul in the show, which is kinda eh, but it is what it is I guess. The loss of the bingo line at least struck me as a tragedy. Speaking of which, they changed Dr. Pepper to some shinigami Pepper Energy Drink! What an outrage I totally expected!)

Anyway, I finished Toradora! yesterday. It was a pretty good series, but ultimately too predictable (and I wouldn't be that fond of how it turned out even if it hadn't been predictable. Which it was.) The ending episodes also had some really wonky pacing going on, so that was a bit odd. All in all good, though.

Also watched the Anohana movie just a bit ago. I enjoyed it a lot, honestly. It's a compilation movie, and though I'm not generally a fan of those, the entire way it was framed was so great and the new content so worthwhile that I couldn't help but like all of it. Great stuff all around.

AXKP5KC.png