Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

My library was selling off their graphic novel collection a really long time ago, and I bought all the FMA there was there. It was book number 7 all the way to the last one for a dollar a piece. Needless to say I bought the lot, my mom was angry because we had already had too many books in the house in the first place. I find the book much more detailed, funny, and brutal. The show is nice, but skims over a lot of stuff. Just started watching the show again for a second time.

Edited by KittehWubbins

beatdown2.png

DON'T MESS WITH US! NOTHING GETS PAST US! UNLESS WE WISH IT!

Too many books? That's... Possible?

Anyways, It's a new season, what show's (if any) are you following? I've only seen the new Nisekoi episodes and The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior, but what I plan to be watching this season includes:
The two aforementioned shows
Soul Eater NOT!
Riddle Story of Devil
One Week Firends
Chaika -The Coffin Princess-
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara

selector infected WIXOSS

Atelier Escha & Logy - Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

And I was only planning on watching two or three things this season...

It's only two episodes in and I'm already finding it hard to not get irritated by all the little things the Soul Eater NOT! anime is changing. I don't mind additions for the most part, but removing stuff entirely bothers me a lot. Sigh. At least it seems like the thing I'm thinking of is in the next episode, but still....Sigh. This fan rage is doing me no good.

AXKP5KC.png

OH MY GOD THEY'RE COMING

THE INDEX LIGHT NOVELS ARE COMING

Anyways, I also recently started the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels (I've bought the first half of the series, and I just started the first one a couple of days ago), I'm rather enjoying those. Although generally any high school comedy sits well with me, provided it's actually funny.

Anyways, with more and more light novels getting picked up... I really hope someone rescues Full Metal Panic! The Tokyopop editions ended at the point the anime ended, which was just before the series got REALLY good... And then maybe the sequel might get translated, too...

• Upvote 1

So, despite my previous hesitations about Soul Eater, I'm pretty sure I'm going to add it to my "anime to watch eventually" list.

The reason?

And incredibly epic AMV of it with This is Halloween Town as the song.

Oh, and I'm about ten episodes into Steins;Gate, and am absolutely loving it. Daru is, well, Daru, but a few of his antics have actually brought on a smile from me, which is surprising.

What makes it especially awesome is that HOUOUIN KYOUMA is played by the voice actor of Isaac from Baccano!, and plays a very similar character.

Gah and I always feel so sad for Rukako with Okabe's constant confusion over which gender he/she is in each worldline.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

So I watched the Saint Onii-san OVAs and movie. Definitely one of the funniest most enjoyable things I've seen in a while, and certainly the best religiously themed piece of fiction I've seen. Super fun. I'd probably change my sig to a Saint Onii-san one, but I don't know exactly how that would go with the rules here. Also I like my current Mako too much.

Also, stumbled into the Gokukoku no Brynhildr opening by pure chance a few days ago, and since I instantly fell in love with everything about it I started watching it yesterday. I only watched one of the two episodes that are out right now, but it's pretty interesting. The art isn't anything special (in the opening it looks like Black Hanekawa and Akemi Homura are fighting) but the animation itself is very nice.

AXKP5KC.png

So, despite my previous hesitations about Soul Eater, I'm pretty sure I'm going to add it to my "anime to watch eventually" list.

The reason?

And incredibly epic AMV of it with This is Halloween Town as the song.

Oh, and I'm about ten episodes into Steins;Gate, and am absolutely loving it. Daru is, well, Daru, but a few of his antics have actually brought on a smile from me, which is surprising.

What makes it especially awesome is that HOUOUIN KYOUMA is played by the voice actor of Isaac from Baccano!, and plays a very similar character.

Gah and I always feel so sad for Rukako with Okabe's constant confusion over which gender he/she is in each worldline.

Resonant Discord

Duality

Monster (The Meg and Dia one)

You're Going Down

Asphyxiated Insanity

This Is War (Major Spoilers)

Animal I Have Become

W.U.N.

Remember the Name

... If you like Soul Eater AMVs, that is.

Edited by Grimdark Pony

So, once again, we get new info for the new Sailor Moon series. I was fine with pretty much everything, pretty much up until this point:

The new anime will run on the first and third Saturdays every month, beginning July 5 at 7:00 p.m. (6:00 a.m. ET).

It'll only be airing twice a month, even with all these delays?!? You know what, I'm just not gonna be surprised by anything anymore. Just hoping the series will, at the very least, be good.

Anyways, I was in New York City recently, and I managed to pick up a bunch of imported stuff, mostly manga, but also a few figures. Among the things I got was an issue of Jump (last week's, to be exact), and... The quality of the Japanese Jump is surprisingly bad. I got kinda used to it about halfway through a chapter of Nisekoi (which was the first thing I read after flipping through the entire magazine), but still, it's pretty bad when compared to the Tankobon versions or even the American print release of Jump (which I do miss...), although I'd guess lower quality would kinda be necessary for a 500-page weekly magazine.

So, once again, we get new info for the new Sailor Moon series. I was fine with pretty much everything, pretty much up until this point:

I really have got to watch Sailor Moon here eventually sometime.

Anyway, I finished Steins;Gate. Absolutely loved it. The story was great, the science was great, the characters were FANTASTIC, and even some of the comedy was to my liking.

I'm going to go to Robotics;Notes, next. Raku, since you've seen it already, what did you think of it? From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be as much of a scifi feel in it as there was in either Steins;Gate or Chaos;Head (though primarily the former, since the second was...well...a bit different in that respect). Is this the case?

Either way, I'm going to watch it. My OCD won't let me start a series of...series and not finish. And, besides, it isn't too long.

R;N is good, although overall it's just a lot weaker than S;G. It's mainly focused on a mostly normal robotics club, and the basic theme of "let's make a giant robot!" just doesn't feel as unique as S;G, and when the sci-fi parts kick in, they either feel too forced or out of nowhere.

I'd still recommend it, though, as the continuation of the Science Adventure Series, and as a generally good show, but just don't expect another Steins;Gate.

R;N is good, although overall it's just a lot weaker than S;G. It's mainly focused on a mostly normal robotics club, and the basic theme of "let's make a giant robot!" just doesn't feel as unique as S;G, and when the sci-fi parts kick in, they either feel too forced or out of nowhere.

I'd still recommend it, though, as the continuation of the Science Adventure Series, and as a generally good show, but just don't expect another Steins;Gate.

So, I'm guessing it's about the same level as Chaos;Head.

Ok so some stuff I've been watching

Just finished Oruchuban Ebichu a bit ago. I never thought I would find something more messed up than Panty & Stocking, but welp, there it is, it's Gainax (because of course it is), and I loved it. Very funny, even if, again, extremely messed up in all sorts of terrible ways.

I've been watching Monogatari Series Second Season and wow. I like this series so much it's scary--especially considering how much I was mostly ambivalent/disliked previous Monogatari installments. It's been so great so far. All this character development is beautiful.

Saw Robot Girls Z a bit ago despite having never really seen Mazinger or anything related to it. A lot of it probably went over my head, but I thought it was pretty funny, and with google as my aid I managed to appreciate it a bit more.

Started Princess Jellyfish a few days back and I just love everything about it. There is nothing about it I don't like. (at least in the first few episodes, I guess. I don't think I'm much a fan of trite love triangles but I hope that plot thread ends in an interesting fashion. ignoring that it's still pretty perfect.) The animation is nice, the characters are all entertaining, it's funny....it's just a good, good anime.

Also started Bunny Drop yesterday. I'm only 3 episodes in, and I love love love love it. This is exactly my kind of series and I just can't begin to deal with how perfect it is. The only downside is that I've known about how the manga ends up (it's disgusting) and it's been a little hard to not let that knowledge get in the way of my enjoyment of the anime. Not that hard though, it's just such a heartwarming and perfect anime I tend to forget about the stupid manga and its stupid ending.

AXKP5KC.png

Has anyone been to any anime cons?

Also, a friend told me that I should watch Katanagatari, but each episode is like, 2 hours long. Is it worth the time?

Each episode of Katanagatari is about 50-60 minutes long, so the total series length is equal to a typical 24-episode anime.

But yes it is much, much more than worth the time to watch it.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

I just saw episode three of Madoka Magica...

Words cannot express the emotions I am feeling right now.

Keep it up. In the end, you'll probably be nound to absolutely loving the show.

After the anime, be sure to watch Movie 3: Rebellion. Pure fantastic.

zV5MODc.png
Please take some time to read my friend's Hero Factory story "End Factory".
It was in the works for 2 years and is now available online to read.
Please be sure to leave a review if you can as it would mean a lot to both me and him.

A nice surprise awaits you inside.

Recently, a nearby college was having a showing of The Wind Rises. I really wanted to go, but didn't realize that you had to call beforehand to order tickets.

When I got there, they were sold out. :( I really want to see it.

So, after a while of intermittently reading during my free time, I'm finally done with the first five Haruhi Suzumiya novels. I've enjoyed them so far, and since I'm pretty sure I've covered everything that's in the anime, I'm looking forward to watching that soon...

Except Endless Eight. It was a good short story, although one of the weaker ones, IMO, that could probably be easily covered in 1-2 episodes, max, but expanding it into an 8-episode arc just sounds... REALLY painful to watch. I'll probably just end up selectively watching the second season...

Is anybody watching Hitsugi no Chaika? As much as I love the main party (as mercenary their motivations may seem,) I would like to see the Gillette Corps get some more screen time.

Other than that, the only thing I'm watching this season is Gokukoku no Brynhildr... It's painfully obvious that it's written by the same author of Elfen Lied. Still, the mystery keeps it a pretty compelling watch!

morekake.jpg

Gokukoku no Brynhildr episode 4, 10 minutes in.

"I really like this anime, especially how so far it's avoided any really stupid fanservice despite all the girls running around"

Literally five seconds later: 'Hey there's an onsen around here'

"Wait, what? That's really not a good sign"

one minute later

"Oh god dangit."

So yeah I dunno. I like GnB but some stuff here seems much too unnecessary.

The last episode of Soul Eater Not! was really great. I like how they actually kept most everything as it happened in the manga (which is good because this was the most important arc of the story thus far.) Keep it up, anime.

Finished Kuragehime a few days back. I want to say I loved everything about it because I did, but there was so little it and when it ended it did so so abruptly. It wasn't an unsatisfying ending, more as it just didn't feel like an ending in any fashion. I'm reading the manga now, but I've only gotten up to roughly where the anime leaves off.

Started Space Dandy recently. Very entertaining and I really love the opening and ending, but I just can't seem to get as involved and excited about it as I should be. It's pretty much exactly the type of anime I like, but I just can't find myself liking it as much as I think I do. (weird sentence) Maybe I should watch the dub sooner than I planned to....

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

Wait... GnB is from the author of Elfen Lied? I'm instantly interested.

Anyways, both Hitsugi no Chaika and Soul Eater Not! are on my laundry list of things to follow this season, of course I haven't actually been able to put aside any time to follow anything this season that isn't Nisekoi (except for the first two episodes of Kawai Complex, which I enjoyed) due to schoolwork, although that should change after tonight. Of course, I'll probably just rewatching the second season of Haganai this week, as I'll be getting the BDs tomorrow and I'll probably just dive into the dub. After that, though I shouldn't have anything stopping me from watching what's airing this season... *looks at DVD backlog*

Gokukoku no Brynhildr episode 4, 10 minutes in.

"I really like this anime, especially how so far it's avoided any really stupid fanservice despite all the girls running around"

Literally five seconds later: 'Hey there's an onsen around here'

"Wait, what? That's really not a good sign"

one minute later

"Oh god dangit."

So yeah I dunno. I like GnB but some stuff here seems much too unnecessary.

I feel exactly the same way. Although, to some extent, you could try to reason that Kazumi's... certain personality traits... are the result of being exposed to the internet in all of its glory, but I think that would be being too generous!

As for Space Dandy, I need to start that after my upcoming exams. Both Cowby Bebop and Samurai Champloo are some of my favourite anime, and it's good to see Watanabe take on more sci-fi.

Wait... GnB is from the author of Elfen Lied? I'm instantly interested.

Indeed! Lynn Okamoto made them both - I guess he has a penchant for germanic inspired names and experimented-on girls with 'magic' powers?

morekake.jpg

So Soul Eater. One of my favorite series for a lot of reasons, one of which is the wide and varied cast of interesting characters. One of my favorites among them is the Death Scythe Tezca Tlipoca, who is one of the most eccentric and entertaining of them all. Unfortunately, since the original anime stopped following the manga pretty much right before he would have been introduced, he never got a place in the anime. So, I've been waiting about four years now to see him animated. (and voiced!)

When the Soul Eater Not! anime was announced, I was excited for a variety of reasons, and one of the biggest ones was that, unlike in the original manga, Tezca Tlipoca shows up really pretty early in the story. It's not a major role, but it's a role, and it's Tezca Tlipoca. The scene in which he appears is a very good sequence that is fantastic for worldbuilding, links Not!'s events to the Soul Eater universe at large, and is just really very very funny. For seven weeks, I've been waiting for the time this scene would be animated.

Today was the day.

AND THEN

THEY CUT THE SCENE COMPLETELY

JESUS FREAKING CHREYETJEJFXGJHFCGJSJDRYUUSRTURDR UDTye346UBDTRYUB565365RUND

And it's a real shame, too, because the rest of the episode is pretty much perfect and spot-on to the manga, and I just want to love this episode for nailing everything after the first 4 or so minutes, but I just can't get over the fact that they cut one of my favorite scenes in all of Soul Eater. I am so not happy.

Sigh. I wish I didn't have to drop off this anime in such a mixed note, but it is what it is, I suppose. I decided a while ago that I would stop watching Not! when it caught up to the manga I've read, which was this episode. As volume 3 won't come out in the US for a couple of months still (pretty close to two years after volume 2 came out....) I'm dropping it off my schedule until at least that point. (I don't think we know yet how long it's going to be--probably not too much since Not! is only going to be 5 volumes long and they already got 2 volumes down in 7 episodes--it's possible that the anime will be close to ending by that point, if not over already) I just hope that by the time I get back to it I can be pleasantly surprised by them having pushed that scene a few episodes back, or something. I can only hope.

anyway

I've been reading a lot of Kuragehime and am just so so sad that the anime was so short. This story is so amazingly good and there are so many scenes that I know would have been perfect animated and with the voice actors they had. It's such a charming, funny story.

Bunny Drop has been perfect---perfect enough for me to forget all about the stupid evil manga (what's a manga anyway). I'm one episode away from finishing it, and I have never been more okay with that ever.

Space Dandy is a dandy in space pretty rad. I'm not all over it (I think there are some plots in it that definitely had the idea, drive and potential for greatness in them, but never quite made it) but it's been thoroughly entertaining.

Monogatari Series Second Season continues to impress me at every opportunity. I never thought i would be so sad to almost finish a Monogatari series, yet here I am about to begin Hitagi End and wondering how I'll ever manage to wait for more once that's finished. Probably should have never doubted NisiOisiN....

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

So, Nisekoi ended. Definitely a fun ride, and I'm especially glad it ended where it did (the school festival play), as that covered everything up to when it got serialized in NA Jump. Now that it's over, I really feel like I should catch up with SOMETHING to keep my simulcast schedule going until next season...

Ok so I watched the second Attack on Titan OVA. It was pretty hilarious. Jean is the greatest.

Started a couple of new series today. First was NouCome, which is considerably funnier than I expected it to be. By this point I'm pretty bored and tired of harem anime, but I hope the fairly novel premise and humor in this one will make it worthwhile (though two episodes in I really only like one of the three girls that have been introduced. hopefully the others are more interesting) if the humor stays as strong as in the first two episodes, I think it'll be fine.

Second was Sakura Trick, which I was super interested in because I've never actually seen a yuri series (klk and rgz were pretty gay, but they weren't romances or anything) and I had seen some pretty good reviews of it. Thus far (two episodes in) it's pretty cute, and I actually like all the characters. Haruka in particular is a very fun character. The fanservice, although not overabundant, is pretty distractingly out-of-place, though. (especially all the...gainaxing...in the opening. and the cosplay in the ending. ah well) That aside, however, it's really pretty cool.

The ending for Usagi Drop (what is a manga again) was perfect. Great series. So cool.

Oh also I was at little tokyo in LA a couple of days ago. I got the last volumes of Medaka Box and Soul Eater in japanese. SE Volume 25 is practically the raddest thing ever. So cool. Wish I could read it better....

edit: so I just finished Monogatari Series Second Season and I am just utterly baffled. I judged Bakemonogatari to be average-to-poor, I more or less hated Nisemonogatari, and although I liked Nekomonogatari (Kuro), like is as far as it went. So how did my interest and opinion of this series shift so radically so quickly with second season? I adore this anime so very, very much. The way it built upon its characters and the world introduced in previous installments was beautiful and masterful and just all the development of all the characters (which made me honestly like pretty much all of them, whereas I previously held serious contempt for one or two) was executed so perfectly and just just just. This is probably my favorite anime out of all the ones I've watched in a seriously long time (sorry, usagi drop and kuragehime) not only because it was so good, but because it managed to make me like a series I had been, at best, skeptical about, because it made all that time I spent on other Monogataris not a waste, and because Ononoki Yotsugi. I've never experienced a series do that for me--change the opinion I held of it so drastically after I had become biased against it--but god, I am happy it did.

(Please let SAO season 2 be something like this........)

(haha, just kidding, i am pretty sure the future of sao is about as rapey as the fairy arc. i expect to hate it just the same.)

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hm ok so I finished NouCome (it was funny at parts, but mostly it wasn't remarable. The characters were boring overall, with only Amakuza, "Paiotsu" Furano (meaning not-actual Furano) and Yuragi being anything close to interesting. I guess Yuuouji was cool, too, though. God I hated "My Brain Is Filled With Food And Homos" Chocolat)

Finished Sakura Trick, which I thought was good even if the prevalence of Male Gaze and the uncomfortable fanservice took quite a bit away from it.

Started and finished Chaos;Head, which I enjoyed just so much. It's been a long time since a series has drawn me in as this one did. Loved it. Also the ending theme is hilarious.

Started Elfen Lied and hahaha, god, I am not enjoying it in the least. so much gore and nudity and gority

Started Aoi Hana after reading some stuff and deciding it was probably a more reasonable approach to yuri than Sakura Trick. So far, this has proven correct.

Anyway, Kill la Kill is on Netflix now, which is...surprising, to say the least. I wouldn't have expected it to show up there, let alone so soon. It does simplify things for my eventual marathon re-watch of the series, though. Fun.

In what seems like a continued and conscious effort to never get to the longer stuff that's been in my to-watch list for over a year, I keep and keep adding short series to it, and I'd like to add some more, because Cowboy Bebop can wait, I guess? Does anyone here have any recommendations for series under 20 episodes?

AXKP5KC.png

Hmm, that sounds intriguing, but reading up on it, I feel like if I watched the 13-part OVA series I'd inevitably also watch the 27-episode anime, and...well, that would defeat the purpose. I'll keep it in mind, though.

I started Steins;Gate yesterday and the thing that stood out most for me is that by this point I recognize Hanazawa Kana's voice instantly. It used to take at least one line. I swear, the more I watch anime the more my knowledge of voice actors grows more and more distracting.

Also anime-related, I ordered Hachikuji Mayoi's figma a couple of days ago and just got it today. It's my first figma, and it looks perfect. I hope Shinobu's figma goes up for preorder soon (i have no idea how the figma process works) and that they make Ononoki sometime .

AXKP5KC.png

So I finished Angel Beats the other night and I'm currently in a state of feeling dead inside, I had expected to cry at the end from what people say but good lord I didn't expect it to affect me this much, I don't think even Anohana made me cry like I did, that said I loved every bit of it from the humor to the characters especially T.K. and Yui.

I'm just ToaD

Still watching Robotics;Notes. I kinda stopped watching it for a while....and I wasn't watching it very quickly even WHEN I was watching it, but I'm watching it again, now.

I guess I just don't find the characters interesting. I'm more than halfway in, and the story is picking up a bit, but just... yeah. I don't really have any connections to the characters.

I'm not in High School anymore.

Even when I was, I wasn't in school clubs.

I don't play video games.

I'm not into mecha stuff.

I'm not a total internet person.

Basically, the only things that I have in common with any of the characters is that I've dabbled a bit with robotics (though not the kind they are using), and was in FIRST for a year. That's........basically it.

As I write that, though, I realize that common interests isn't necessarily where you connect with characters; it's their personalities and their struggles and stuff.

And still, nothing.

But my OCD won't let me just stop watching and not finish this "series of series". :P And the story is getting more interesting, as I said.

I have a hypothesis that the three series in the C;H S;G R;N series may be targeted to three different types of people. For example, I only minorly connected with the characters in C;H, practically none in R;N (as I said), but connected with practically every character in S;G.

I think next I might watch Danganronpa. Looks entertaining.

OH AND MUSHISHI HAS BEEN CONTINUED I JUST REMEMBEREDAKSFHLJASHGFAJKSHFGAJKSHDGFAKSJHFGASOHF:HALKJVBXLKJFHOUAEYFBJSHFBEWOU

I NEED TO WATCH IT

BUT I LOVE GINKO'S VOICE ACTOR SO I'M PROBABLY GOING TO WAIT TILL IT'S DUBBED

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÀÁÂÄÆÃÅAĀAAAAHHHHHHHHH FUNIMATION DUB FASTER

Edited by Kopekemaster

I'm interested in Danganronpa, but I'm cautious about watching it. I got the game, ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, beat it within two days of getting it, and then preordered Danganronpa 2. I'm just kinda worried that the Danganronpa anime won't be as awesome as the game.

Anyways, speaking of video game anime adaptations, Persona 4 Golden starts July 10. I'm really not sure why that's a thing, Arena would've made way more sense, IMO, especially since the original P4 Anime came out just over 2 years ago, and Golden literally only adds 2-3 scenarios.

...Still gonna watch it though, 'cuz P4 is just that good.

And I started Shuffle recently, and I've definitely got mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I find most of the comedy so far (6 episodes in) to be enjoyable. And I'll generally take anything funny. But, I also really dislike harem anime (where it's the main focus), and this is one of those shows. I'm kinda hoping the storyline kicks in soon, but I'm just thinking the show's just gonna turn out to be all plot...

Oh, since I guess manga is on topic here too (?), I have been reading Ooku recently. I finished Volume 1 the other day, and have begun Volume 2. I like it. It's quite different than what I usually read but... good.

And don't be fooled (sorta) by the "Explicit Content" on the cover. There isn't really anything explicit in it. It handles very...mature subjects, but there's nothing graphic or anything.