Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

I finally got a hold of the Acrobunch RAWs after finishing Dunbine.It's Indiana Jones with a giant robot and Norio Wakamoto as the crazy, knife-wielding older brother.How does one make something that awesome in the first place.

hElbrZ6.gif

DO WANT.Anything, did nearly nothing anime-related during the downtime, just finished Steins;Gate (quite good, BTW), and rewatched part 1 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica twice while I await for the CE Boxset of Part 2 to arrive.Oh, and I found the Nendoroid iPod Touch game. I now love those figures, and wish they were less expensive.

Well. It's a somewhat eventful week for Shonen Jump Alpha. Bakuman ended (maybe more on that a bit later) and the enemies in this arc of Bleach have been officially confirmed:

It's the Quincies. You'd have known that for a while if you've been following Bleach since the end of the Fullbringer arc, though.

Oh, and Kenshin will be in SJA, filling Bakuman's spot (although I think it's just once a month).

So, uh, recommendations for VERY dark anime beyond the norm of Eva and Madoka? Before you suggest it, yes I've seen Bokurano (and am currently reading the manga) and Grave of the Fireflies. And 99% of the works of Tomino.Kinda in the mood for something dark.

hElbrZ6.gif

Darker than Black isn't so much dark as it is gritty. It's an excellent (at least in my opinion) deconstruction of a world where people with super powers are - for the most part - allowed to roam free amongst an unknowing populace. If I had to describe any part of it as "dark", it'd be how the viewer is left in the dark even at the end of the second (and as of right now, final) season.Although it's a very good series (and in fact one of my favorites), I think that the series Alastor has already listed are far darker than DtB, despite its name. However, it's still well worth watching.

Lacertus

Bokurano, hands down, is the darkest thing I've ever read. It quite literally makes Evangelion look light-hearted. Interesting to note that apparently Kyuubei from Madoka is considered a rather poor knock off of Koyemshi, according to people who have read and watched both series. And since I've only started reading Bokurano, and haven't watched Madoka since it was airing, I can't say for sure myself.

hElbrZ6.gif

Cool, and nice collection.Anyways, got the Madoka Magica Box Set 2 yesterday. Pretty good, but THEY CHANGED ONE OF MY FAVORITE LINES IN THE WHOLE SHOW. Of course, it was a line only originally in the fansubs, though.

Edited by Terminus

So, uh, recommendations for VERY dark anime beyond the norm of Eva and Madoka? Before you suggest it, yes I've seen Bokurano (and am currently reading the manga) and Grave of the Fireflies. And 99% of the works of Tomino.Kinda in the mood for something dark.

Berserk? Texhnolyze?They might suit your tastes.Anyway, attempting to find a more modern Super Robot mecha series. Other than Overman King Gainer.

Yeah, Takeshi Obata's art is pretty amazing, I've yet to read a manga with better art than his. Death Note's art is pretty fantastic, and Bakuman is even better. And then you have Tsugumi Ohba writing, and the duo is always amazing. Can't wait for their next series.Also, I'm interested for the fall show Girls und Panzer, mainly because Humikane Shimada is doing the character designs, and Strike Witches and Skygirls are two of my favorite series (he did character designs in those, too).

Edited by Terminus

• 3 weeks later...

I did not know about this thread until now, but am not surprised by it's existence. Since it is here, I am going to recommend some.First is To Aru Majutsu No Index (as well as it's spin-off To Aru Kagaku No Railgun) it is a series that has magic (used by religious people) in a sort of cold war against espers (scientific supernatural powers), the main character is Kamijou, Touma who has a power called the "imagine breaker" which allows his right arm to cancel out anything, be it magic or science. Another nice point about it is that both sides have sympathetic points to them, and Touma sides with both at various points. Kothra's avatar and sig are from the series, specifically the MISAKA clones, presumably the avatar is MISAKA 10092.@ Kothra: Do you read the light novels? They are translated and posted online (unless you are japanese or can read it) and volume 4 of new testament came out recently, it was amazing with all the plot points and twists, and action. Though I won't spoil it in case you want to read it. Hellsing is another, though I would not recommend it until one is older or can handle a lot of violence, language, and rather visceral sexual scenes. Anyway, the premise is that the vampire Alucard, working for the Hellsing Organization, is fighting artificial vampires created out of the remnants of the Nazi Woffen SS. That is a very thin blanket description though, I suggest looking into it, though if you do, then watch Hellsing Ultimate, which are the OVAs as those actually follow the manga.Shigofumi is a tragically unknown one, and I say that because I hardly ever see it mentioned and it is very good, and it is only about 13 episodes. Anyway the premise is that there is this mail deliverer named Mikawa, who delivers letters from recently deceased people, as in this universe you are allowed to write a letter and send it to whoever you like to someone who is still living. The series is something of a social criticism anime, with situations in place with characters and then the impact the letter has on those still living. It is a lot more interesting then I am making it sound, though you may also find yourself sympathizing with characters in a way you may not be too quick to admit (and not in the "I had an embarrassing moment..." kind of way if you catch my drift). The social subjects covered actually allow for a western viewer (such as myself) to watch it as the problems addressed in here are also in the west, rather then problems only present in Japan.Utawarerumono is based off of a video game, but you don't need to have played the game to enjoy the anime, it has a sort of feudal Japan like setting, mostly focusing on a man named Hakuro, and his leading his nation in and out of various wars. Interestingly enough, he is wearing a mysterious mask that he cannot remove and has no memory of what happened prior to the series start. Even more interesting is that he is technically the only human in the series, everyone else is a kemonomimi (lit. "animal ears"). This series has very good plot twists.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Dark anime huh? Well, Fate/Zero can get pretty bleak at times; despite the action packed exterior, Black Lagoon is nihilistic as all get out; Berserk is dark, epic fantasy; I suppose most people would consider Mirai Nikki dark, but I think it's too pulpy to completely warrant that label (heartily recommended though); and NaruTaru is certainly dark, even if I can't fully vouch for the quality.I have to say I am loving this season. Fate/Zero, Tsuritama, and Kids on the Slope are all spectacular, and I'm not even mentioning the other half dozen good-great anime I'm watching.

doctor-who-premier.jpg

Kothra's avatar and sig are from the series, specifically the MISAKA clones, presumably the avatar is MISAKA 10092.@ Kothra: Do you read the light novels? They are translated and posted online (unless you are japanese or can read it) and volume 4 of new testament came out recently, it was amazing with all the plot points and twists, and action. Though I won't spoil it in case you want to read it.

If anything it's 10032, I would think.I read up to volume 8 or 9 of the light novels (translated) before I got sidetracked. With summer here I may have time again.
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

I'm trying to finish Durarara!! by tomorrow, have about 16 episodes left. Want to start my summer anime watching with a clean slate.Also, I'm preordering the Strike Witches Season 1 Blu-Ray/DVD set. The exact reason I held out on getting the DVD for $25, and the set is only a little over $10 more.I'm also hoping to expand my figure collection over the summer, I currently only have Square Enix Play Arts Cloud (Kingdom Hearts Version) and Nendoroid Petit Mami Tomoe (I'm awesome at choosing blind box figures!).Also, Barrage (the new series in Jump) seems pretty good. Although the first chapter reminded me a lot of Gurren Lagann, which could be a good or a bad thing...

Edited by Terminus

Anyone like Black Butler? I saw the anime and wasn't crazy about it, but the manga is supposedly better.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I've seen the first season, I enjoyed it a good bit, and I'll probably see the second season next week (I'd really like to know what happens with Ciel...).Also, I have a Black Butler wallet, with the Phantomhive crest on it. Random anime merchandise FTW!

You'll never guess who just ordered the complete line of Revoltech Evangelion Evolution figures!(hint: it was me)
4 of them arrived today, along with a certain someone else (more on that later)120614_0001.jpgso far Mark.06 is the only one I've opened.I hope I can get my hands on a better camera since my cell phone one is terribad (would anyone even want pics of the others???)(lol ignore the Ziploc bags) Edited by HAZMAT

Apparently 01 and 03 are discontinued, so be prepared to pay more for 03 if and when you decide to get it. I paid about ~50 bucks for each of them, compared to the 20-30 for the other 4.Also I opened 05 today and one of the joints is completely busted, hopefully I'll be able to return it for a replacement.

I know that Revoltech is usually pretty high quality, so I'm surprised a joint was busted. Also, about how tall are the figures? I've only seen the Robot Spirits figures in person, and am wondering if these are about the same size (probably a few inches tall).And I believe it is a bad time to be a Strike Witches fan not living in Japan, not only because Funimation pushed back the release date of Season 2 back indefinitely, but also because the awesome Strike Witches Replica Airsoft Guns don't ship outside of Japan. This means I'll have to wait a while to get my hands on one, and I'll most likely have to pay a good bit higher than the original price of about $380-450 USD.Also, just recently finished Trigun and Durarara. Both were good, Trigun felt like my Saturday-Morning cartoon fix from when I was a kid and was really fun to watch, while Durarara was an interesting take on modern life. And now that I've finished Trigun, I really want to see Trigun: Badlands Rumble.

I know that Revoltech is usually pretty high quality, so I'm surprised a joint was busted. Also, about how tall are the figures? I've only seen the Robot Spirits figures in person, and am wondering if these are about the same size (probably a few inches tall).
The joint won't snap together correctly so it has almost no friction. I'm guessing something was molded incorrectly in the inside of the joint. Regardless, Hobbylink Japan is shipping me a replacement figure for free. And I don't even need to send mine back. How sweet is that?They're a little over 6 inches. 05 is a bit taller because of those crazy legs it has.Also, I think I should probably show you guys that "certain someone" I mentioned earlier, now that I've found my old camera and had time to familiarize myself with it.(can you guess who it is?)

BIG O!dscf0001.jpg(please excuse my camera's horrible flash)Size comparison with Revoltech Unit-01 and Chogokin Super Evangelion:dscf0002.jpgMy terrible photos don't do it justice, it looks amazing in person.The pistons on the arms can be pulled pack, and pressing the fists makes them shoot forward. Also the feet can be opened (remember Roger parked his car in there?) and the collar can be lifted to see the cockpit. The shoulders and abdomen can be swapped out to show the shoulder cannons and missile launchers, respectively.Also I got the last one. :D

Edited by HAZMAT

BIG O!dscf0001.jpg(please excuse my camera's horrible flash)Size comparison with Revoltech Unit-01 and Chogokin Super Evangelion:dscf0002.jpgMy terrible photos don't do it justice, it looks amazing in person.The pistons on the arms can be pulled pack, and pressing the fists makes them shoot forward. Also the feet can be opened (remember Roger parked his car in there?) and the collar can be lifted to see the cockpit. The shoulders and abdomen can be swapped out to show the shoulder cannons and missile launchers, respectively.Also I got the last one. :biggrin:

I have never seen this series but my mind immediately busted out the awesome theme song.
doctor-who-premier.jpg

The joint won't snap together correctly so it has almost no friction. I'm guessing something was molded incorrectly in the inside of the joint. Regardless, Hobbylink Japan is shipping me a replacement figure for free. And I don't even need to send mine back. How sweet is that?They're a little over 6 inches. 05 is a bit taller because of those crazy legs it has.
The free replacement is awesome. And 6 inches is a pretty good size, considering most figures I've seen are around/under 5 inches (except for the Square Enix Play Arts, those are about 6-7 inches tall)Anyways, while we are on the topic of figures, I got my first Figma yesterday:100_2338.jpgThe sheer amount of pieces sorta surprised me. There are more parts in this than in any of the small Bionicle sets. :PAnd, of course, I had to do this. If Cloud randomly appeared in Episode 3, it most likely would have ended very differently.100_2336.jpg:P

@Bio D: You should watch it if/when you have a chance@Terminus: I'd prefer if they were a bit larger, but then they'd also be more expensive :P, so I guess 6 inches is a good middleground. How tall is the one you got (from Madoka right? I have yet to watch it). I too was really surprised by all the extras that came with figures. WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE HANDS

Big O was one of the first Anime shows I ever really watched, following Thundercats and Sailor Moon. Toonami was awesome about airing anime back then... Big O was amazing and is still a favorite of mine.

bzprovince_zps0d5d507a.png

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!