Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

I'm looking more forward to the stuff involving Misato and her crew, honestly.
Yeah, that'll be pretty neat, since now everything is all new, nothing from the old stuff. But apparently most of the movie focuses mostly on Kaworu and Shinji...Also, Kaji seems to be absent from the movie. yet people are complaining about the lack of Pen Pen

Because we all know Pen-Pen wins the Evangelion, not Shinji. Though the lack of Kaji is pretty disappointing. Hearing a few theories that Anno might be going with the outlined plot lined out in the proposal for NGE for Rebuild. Which makes sense, even if Evangelion is known for being made up as he goes along. The use of the characters for 'Evangelion' instead of those for 'Wevangeliwon' for Rebuild is interesting too.

Theory that's floating around is that Kaworu is getting revived in Rebuild FINAL too, since he's stupidly popular and Anno loves the guy. Then again, there's no Rei in this movie either. Rei Q is a different character.

Can't say I'm not looking forward to possibly having Cruel Angel's Thesis start playing during the climax of the last movie. Or maybe the Gunbuster March. Either way, it seriously, seriously sounds like part of these movies have been Anno saying 'yeah, you know those Super Robot Wars games? Let's give the EVAs some fun things to play with'. And since he took entire lines from SRW in the second movie, and actually helps write the games with EVA in them, it's pretty possible.Also, I swear to god, I fully expect Kaworu to mention the Retuning of the World now. He did it in SRW L

and the dissolving of SEELE after Third/Fourth Impact is fairly similar to L's.

On the other side of films that have me so hyped it hurts, GothicMade is not only a prequel to Five-Star Stories but requires you to have read FSS before seeing it to make sense of almost anything towards the end. Since FSS is my favorite manga, I'm getting the feeling that I'll love GothicMade.

Edited by Alastor MacBatman

hElbrZ6.gif

So I just finished Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. And I was simply blown away by it. I genuinely had no problems with it in any department, meaning it's another 10/10, bringing my total of 'perfect shows' up to 3.Seriously, if you haven't watched it, do so. Wonderful, wonderful show.

hElbrZ6.gif

Did anyone ever find out what that CoD/Jormungand thing was about? Haven't seen anything about it since the crossover was first announced...Anyways, I just started watching Haganai. It's a good adaptation of the manga (which I like), and it doesn't totally screw it up like the last school harem comedy anime I attempted to watch (Rosavam). Anyways, I think it's a bit easier to tell who Yozora is in this adaptation, I was kinda surprised with that reveal in the manga. Maybe it might have been more obvious in the LNs, haven't read those...

Edited by Terminus24

The only characters from Haganai I like are Kodaka, Sena, and Sena's Dad. The rest of them are pretty hard to like, IMO (except for the occasional comic relief). But the worst thing about the show is the awful animation. I'm probably just going to stick with the manga on this one...And guys in suits in suspicious black cars showed up in Robotics;Notes! I have a feeling where this is going... PLOT TWIST TIME!Oh, and anyone else see Creepy-As-All-Heck Asuka from the new Music Video/Trailer?

image.jpg

... And I thought it couldn't get worse... 0_o

Edited by Terminus24

Has anyone watched this older series called Serial Experiments Lain? (I only saw the first episode so far and it is very...."odd" and a bit "surreal")Blue Exorcist is going to have a movie next month! ^^ Hopefully they will make a dub (I am sure they will since they have the series being dubbed right now) for next year.

For the Team! - Rin Matsuoka

tumblr_nc7x2n2uJ61so9j7zo1_500.png

I just saw Lain a few weeks ago. It was strange the whole way through.Also, the 3.0 soundtrack seems to be based heavily on the kind of vocal music we had some of in 2.0 (even more so). At least from the tracks I've gone through so far.

Edited by Kottsu
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So for the fall season I decided to pick up JoJo's Bizzare Adventure and it has basically become my favourite anime. IloveitIloveitIloveit!

Other than that I decided to drop Fate/stay night, which means I will probably miss out on Fate/Zero as well. With those shows gone I might have time to pick up some of the other fall seasn shows I've been missing. More specifically I'm talking about Zetsuen no Tempest, Robotics;Notes and Psycho-PASS.

Yo dudes, if you haven't heard of the upcoming (Western, live-action) movie Pacific Rim, you need to go watch the newly released trailer RIGHT NOW.

It's giant monsters fighting giant robots and is inspired Japanese mecha and kaiju.

I've been following it for months and it's shaping up to be great.

So for the fall season I decided to pick up JoJo's Bizzare Adventure and it has basically become my favourite anime. IloveitIloveitIloveit!

Other than that I decided to drop Fate/stay night, which means I will probably miss out on Fate/Zero as well. With those shows gone I might have time to pick up some of the other fall seasn shows I've been missing. More specifically I'm talking about Zetsuen no Tempest, Robotics;Notes and Psycho-PASS.

---

I don't care if you drop Fate/stay night, but dropping Fate/Zero as well is completely unacceptable.

As for Pacific Rim, I looked into it a little a while back and wasn't all THAT interested. I'll take a look again sometime.

IN OTHER NEWS, THE MADOKA MOVIES ARE FINALLY COMING TO MY AREA NEXT MONTH. WOOOO.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

---

I don't care if you drop Fate/stay night, but dropping Fate/Zero as well is completely unacceptable.

---

Well, I'm not exactly dropping Fate/Zero, I've just devided to not pick it up for a looong time, probably whenever I finish Fate/stay night which likely will not happen for a good while.

I need to finish Fate/Zero... I kinda stopped watching it on accident, my Internet cut out in the middle of an episode, and I just never got back to it, and I only have a couple of episodes left...Anyways, I'm working on getting a local theater to screen the Madoka films. The closest showing is 2 hours away and on a Thursday, which I can't do...

Yo dudes, if you haven't heard of the upcoming (Western, live-action) movie Pacific Rim, you need to go watch the newly released trailer RIGHT NOW.

It's giant monsters fighting giant robots and is inspired Japanese mecha and kaiju.

I've been following it for months and it's shaping up to be great.

I saw the trailer for that last night, been following it for a few months as well.

oh sweet lord, that film is going to be glorious.

Read the VNs for Type Moon stuff. Really, the F/SN anime came out at a time where all VN-Anime adaptations were just... terrible.

hElbrZ6.gif

I watched the Fate series in chronological order. Fate/Zero is definitely better than Fate/Stay Night and there's no reason you shouldn't watch it. I still managed to enjoy Fate/Stay Night but after hearing that the visual novel is far better I'm interested in checking it out.

If you don't like Fate/Stay Night you at least need to take a look at Fate/Zero, you won't regret it!

Also, Saber is on my desktop.

So, anyone here watched Idolmaster Xenoglossia?I don't really know much (scratch that, anything) about Idolmaster besides that its about girls who sing and it's apparently pretty popular, and I'm thinking about watching Xenoglossia since its the first to be released in the US, although I've heard that the Mecha element of the show takes away from the show.Anyways, I've decided I need to watch the commentaries on my anime DVDs over break, in addition to finishing Fate/Zero. Those are always fun, especially when they end up going in a completely random direction... Like when Jamie Marchi and Trina Nishimura start talking about tacos during the episode of Strike Whiches where they're running through Rome...Well, I just finished Strike Witches 2 earlier, and then I just decided to watch the movie (finally been fansubbed!). Gotta say, the movie blew both seasons out of the water. Finally putting in some of the witches from the other media was pretty neat, even though most of them got only a minute or two of screentime. Anyways, it really felt a lot more like an actual war movie than the series, which was helped by both the great opening (which had standard military units fighting the neuroi) and the drop in the amount of fanservice. The panty shot count seems a lot lower, and nobody is ever wearing less than their standard uniform, and less fanservice means the movie can be taken more seriously. Well, as seriously as you can take lolis who don't wear pants, have propellers strapped to their legs, and also have animal ears/tails.

Edited by Terminus24

I haven't seen Xenoglossia, but the actual iDOLM@STER series was pretty good.

The Strike Witches movie was pretty okay, but I felt that the whole first two thirds of the movie felt like the exposition, and then it suddenly jumps to the climax. i dunno. When I think about it it's not quite like that, but when I was watching it it certainly felt that way.

IN OTHER NEWS:

My Index DVDs finally came in. <3

I watched Baccano over the weekend, and I have to say that I really regret putting that one off for so long.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

From what I've heard, the movies are the definitive version of Madoka, but there are also more changes from the anime in the Manga than in the movie. I've heard that most of the changes were just cuts/visual edits (i.e. new transformation sequences, and now Kyoko likes strawberry Pocky instead of chocolate).And the SW movie was basically an entire season jammed into 100 minutes, just minus anything that's unnecessary to the main story. Watching it like another season makes the pacing feel right, but it still isn't too off. Anyways, hoping for more news on SW3 after Vividred Operation.

Also, just wrote a letter to my local movie theater requesting a double showing of the two Madoka movies. If they show them, I'll be absolutely psyched. And, I'll feel a little accomplished on the side.

Edited by Terminus24

Decided to catch up with the fall anime I had on hold. Specifically talking about Robotics;Notes, Zetsuen no Tempest, Psycho-PASS, K, Ixion Saga DT and BTOOOM!. Thinking about picking up Shin Sekai Yori, too.

Also I'm going to be watching Sword Art Online. I just finished episode 4 and it's getting worse and worse with each episode.

Just watched the final episode of SAO. The final duel between Kazuto and Sugou was neat, good to see a battle that has real consequences (which really hasn't happened since the first arc). Anyways, I'm curious as if the ALO arc ended the same way as the LNs, as the anime wrapped up everything so nicely you wouldn't really expect a second season, but the LNs have already gone through a few more games. Second season seems likely because of how the anime really boosted the LN sales and was one of the more successful series of 2012, but at the same time, it seems like it'd be lacking any real purpose besides people just playing VRMMOs. Whatever, I'll just wait and see.Now off to finish Fate/Zero...Also @ JJ: SAO drops during the filler episodes, then gets better around episodes 8-10. The rest of the series has it's ups and downs, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine shonen action series, and really something worth watching for gamers.

Edited by Terminus24

So in order to celebrate the world not ending, I've decided to finally get around to watching Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Three episodes in, and I'm honestly enjoying it more than I enjoyed Evangelion at the same point. Should it keep up being as awesome and FABULOUS~ as it has been, it's easily going to end up in my top 3.

hElbrZ6.gif

Also @ JJ: SAO drops during the filler episodes, then gets better around episodes 8-10. The rest of the series has it's ups and downs, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine shonen action series, and really something worth watching for gamers.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what's filler and what's not, I'll just take them as they come. So far the production has been beautiful - the attention to details in the backgrounds and the animation and the music are just gorgeous, and it reminds me of all the reasons I love RuneScape/Oblivion. It's just a shame that we get the material we get. Like in episode four where Kirito was helping that little girl reviving her dragon pet thing. I couldn't help but think "this doesn't happen in MMOs" and by the end of the day the episode was completely pointless. Maybe it's one of those fillers you speaked of?

Also I'd rather have Klein as the main character. He's chill.

Also @ JJ: SAO drops during the filler episodes, then gets better around episodes 8-10. The rest of the series has it's ups and downs, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine shonen action series, and really something worth watching for gamers.

_________________ Now, I'm not entirely sure what's filler and what's not, I'll just take them as they come. So far the production has been beautiful - the attention to details in the backgrounds and the animation and the music are just gorgeous, and it reminds me of all the reasons I love RuneScape/Oblivion. It's just a shame that we get the material we get. Like in episode four where Kirito was helping that little girl reviving her dragon pet thing. I couldn't help but think "this doesn't happen in MMOs" and by the end of the day the episode was completely pointless. Maybe it's one of those fillers you speaked of?Also I'd rather have Klein as the main character. He's chill.
><><><><><><><><><><><The filler in the first arc is basically all the episodes that are about Kirito and anyone who isn't Asuna. I find it odd how they put in a bunch of filler episodes right after the show started, and forgot about the main story for a bunch of episodes (Which annoyed me to no end when I dad to wait a week between episodes). Of course, they were filler flashbacks in the LNs (and having flashback episodes instead of just putting everything in chronological order would be stupid), and I'm pretty sure the filler episodes exist only to introduce characters who have something like 20 seconds of screentime at the end of both arcs. Edited by Terminus24

The last episode of Sword Art Online made me want to take a look at the LNs that follow afterwards. From what I can gather the LNs and the anime ended the same way at the end of the Fairy Dance arc. Phantom Bullet just picks up a half of a year later and starts a different plot in a different game.

For the most part I liked Sword Art Online and would be interested in a second season. I'll probably read the LNs until another season comes out.

Completed a bit of shows within the last few days and I thought I might spark some life into this thread. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: genuinely funny, but very, very wierd stuff. I liked the tone of the animation and art and how it was making fun of humanity's near extinction. Ben-To: Over the top ridiculousness about high schoolers fighting over cheap food. It was pretty funny too, and was surprisingly good despite its premise. I felt it took itself too seriously sometimes though. Also: fanservice Haibane Renmei: A show about girls talking and sometimes crying. There's not a lot you can do with that, but it turned out a real touching drama with an excellent soundtrack.

Edited by Joseph Joestar

So, with 2012 coming to a close, what was the best show you watched this year?I can wholeheartedly say that Gankutsuou is the best anime I have seen any year, let alone 2012. Such a wonderful, wonderful series.

...and on that note, TOP FIVE FAVORITE ANIME, GOGOGOGO

1. Gankutsuou

2. RahXephon3. Visions of Escaflowne4. Gunbuster5. Macross 7

Edited by -Windrider-

hElbrZ6.gif

AOTY is... JoJo's Bizzare Adventure or Zetsuen no Tempest. I havn't seen Fate/Zero, but that might have been a contender. Top five eh? Well...

1: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann2. Welcome to the NHK3. Mushishi4. Berserk5. Baccano!Speaking of Gankutsuou, as someone who has not read the novel it was based on, can I enjoy it the same as someone who has? At the moment is is probably the series I'n looking forward to, so I don't want to be disappointed.

Edited by -Windrider-