Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

Whats FLCL?anyway, got done watching these two:Shukufufu.Myself; Yourself.Shukufuku was done in a whole day(in other words i juyst watched it all day..took me like 16 hours to watch all of it because i was doing stuff) And i just got done with Myself; Yourself.I might consider watching Clannad again too..

Kenpachi Zaraki Captain of squad 11

Read This to learn about kenpachi.

odstreflect.png

Credit to Republic Commando Darman for the banner.

I have a question about Animes and I was wondering if someone could give me their advice on which ones I should start off with? I'm pretty new to Anime, Manga, and the sort and don't know which ones would be the best to see. Anyone have any suggestions?-Mef

Before asking Alastor for recomendations, watch and read the following:Gaiking: Legend of Daikuu-Maryuu (TV Series, 39 episodes)Gunbuster (OVA, 6 episodes)Armored Troopers VOTOMS (TV Series, 52 episodes [has multiple OVAs as well])Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV Series, 36 episodes)Macross: Do You Remember Love? (Movie)Macross Plus (OVA, 4 episodes)Mobile Suit Gundam (TV Series, 43 episodes, has a movie trilogy that abridges the series)Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (TV series, 27 episodes, has two movies that are just as good if not better)Getter Robo (Manga, 2 volumes)Getter Robo G (Manga, one volume)Getter Robo Go (Manga, seven volumes)Shin Getter Robo (manga, one volume)Space Runaway Ideon (Series, 39 episodes + movie + compliation)Puella Magi Madoka Magica (series, 12 episodes)Neon Genesis Evangelion (Series, 26 episodes + Movie + Complation)GaoGaiGar (Series, 50 episodes)GaoGaiGar FINAL (OVA, 6 episodes)Those are off the top of my head, not all of them are BZP safe to discuss in detail though.Really should make an image for this, get asked for anime suggestions quite often.

hElbrZ6.gif

Only one non-mecha show in the entire bunch.Anyway, as long as you don't go into the more gory parts or the fanservice-heavy parts of the anime Alastor listed, I'm sure discussing them in detail would be perfectly fine.Make sure to take all of the anime listed in small doses. Your mind would explode due to the awesome.Other than that, I see no Getter Robo Armageddon.

The Getter Robo manga is on the list. That alone should be manly enough.As for lack of Wing on the list, I generally suggest Universal Century stuff over AUs. Force of habit, I suppose.A few other series popped to mind when I woke up:Astro Boy (manga, 23 volumes)Pluto (manga, 8 volumes)Devilman (Manga, 5 volumes. NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART.)Captain Harlock (Anime, 42 episodes)Space Battleship Yamato (Anime, 77 episodes)Queen Emeraldas (OVA, 4 episodes)Galaxy Express 999 (TV Series, 112 episodes)Legend of the Galactic Heroes (OVA, 110 episodes)Ghost in the Shell (Movie)Cowboy Bebop (Series, 26 episodes)Trigun (Series, 26 episodes)Giant Robo (OVA, 6 episodes)G Gundam (Series, 50 episodes)Gundam Wing (Series, 50 episodes)Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA, 6 episodes)Shin Mazinger Impact! The Z Epic (Series, 26 episodes)Tetsujin-28 (2004) (Series, 26 episodes)RahXephon (Series, 26 episodes)

hElbrZ6.gif

Yes. An average Studio Gainax anime basically means that it WILL make you go: 'Lolwut?'

Speaking of which, I got the first six volumes of the Neon Genesis Evangelion comic. I recently finished volume...

Er-? Seele uses the Dead Sea Scrolls as their Bible? WOW! How amazing! Seele is using a really old Bible as a Bible!

Gainax has no part in the manga, they're a TV studio.Also that was in the anime as well, or did you not watch it?Also the manga is a different continuity than the series.

Only one non-mecha show in the entire bunch.

>Expecting anything different from AlastorGenerally, I suggest mecha and sci-fi anime as the vast majority of the 'must-watch/revolutionary' series are from the genres. That and I freaking love Yasuhiro Imagawa's stuff.

Uuuuuh. I'm not making any promises on watching all of them. :P But, thank you for the suggestions and I'll try to take them in small doses like Hubert said.-Mef

If you're going to only watch a few of those, I say go for Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Gundam 0079, Yamato, Macross, and Harlock. Those are generally considered some of the 'entry level' series.

hElbrZ6.gif

I don't know about Gainax's relation to the main NGE manga, but I do know that the NGE: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga was in fact created by Gainax and Studio Khara.

from what I can tell, they only publish it, they're not invoved with the writing, hence (I would assume) it would lack signature Gainax themes. Regardless, it's non-canon, so it doesn't really matter. :PThe NGE manga is written by the series' character designer and is, of course, a separate continuity.

If you think it lacks Gainax themes... You clearly haven't read it. Shinji's dad always seems to be on... something, Asuka, Rei, and Hikari get drunk, Misato gets about 500% more drunk, the only thing I can think of with a comparable amount of fanservice is the unedited version of Strike Witches (which has probably 2-3 times as much as 2 volumes NGE:SIRP), and it's pee-your-pants hilarious. Only thing it lacks that's in most other Gainax stuff is a significant amount of action.

Anything involving Gainax will make you go Lolwut. No exceptions.

Meh, UC kinda goes downhill along with the Federation. Kinda prefer Wing because of its ending. (Ignoring Frozen Teardrop's existence of course)

I rather liked Char's Counterattack.But anyway, I was originally a Cosmic Era guy. And I may be one of the few that actually liked Destiny.

Anything involving Gainax will make you go Lolwut. No exceptions.

Meh, UC kinda goes downhill along with the Federation. Kinda prefer Wing because of its ending. (Ignoring Frozen Teardrop's existence of course)

I rather liked Char's Counterattack.But anyway, I was originally a Cosmic Era guy. And I may be one of the few that actually liked Destiny.
No, I mean as the Federation went downhill so did UC. Although from what I've read, most people don't even consider G-Saviour as Gundam...I started out with CE Gunpla, then went to watching 00, then Unicorn, 0079, Zeta, Wing, Seed, and now Destiny. Shinn is kinda bleh so far compared to other Gundam protagonists, but Waltfeld is hilarious with the whole coffee thing.also Flay is the most annoying person ever I mean oh my God
19704_s.gif

Ooh, just saw The newest Guilty Crown!

Kuhouin didn't die, Inori seems to be possessed by Mana at random times, everyone escapes after Shu destroys Tokyo Tower, Gai returns (now he's even worse), Shu loses his arm, and the U.N. decides to terminate Japan.

It's a rather good episode, and seems like a good setup for next week's episode.

So I've been watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Well I've been reading it more, but I'm still watching it.And it is epic.ZA WARUDO.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty much a Glam Metal version of Fist of the North Star.It's easy to see why I love it.In other news, I got one of my friends who doesn't care for anime beyond a few titles interested in Evangelion when I pitched running an EVA RP, mentioning she should see the series to know what the heck she's getting into. This is... gonna be interesting. I mean I already got her addicted to Komm, Susser Tod (JUST KEEPS TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOOOOOOOWN).

hElbrZ6.gif

^ What kind of RPG and which version of Evangelion?

Text-based and based mainly on the original series, with elements of Super Robot Wars, the Sadamoto manga and Rebuild tossed in for flavor.A character-based game with the story of the anime moved over to American shores (because why not), with a slightly lighter and more comedic tone- after all the the title is '(Not Necessarily a Rebuild of) Evangelion'. We're replacing a few of the Angels (Iruel and Armisael so far) with ones from other material, such as the Diemay Angel and Iblis, as well as replacing Jet Alone's design with... this.

hElbrZ6.gif

A character-based game with the story of the anime moved over to American shores (because why not), with a slightly lighter and more comedic tone- after all the the title is '(Not Necessarily a Rebuild of) Evangelion'. We're replacing a few of the Angels (Iruel and Armisael so far) with ones from other material, such as the Diemay Angel and Iblis, as well as replacing Jet Alone's design with... this.

Wasn't there a Eva that exploded in Nevada or something? I don't know if that was just in the manga or if it's in multiple media, as the manga is the only version I'm familiar with. As the RPG would borrow from the various continuities you could use it as a way to transport the story to over here across the puddle.Is this going to be hosted here or somewhere else?EDIT: Darn ninjas! Edited by BenLuke-116