Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

Now that I'm getting interested in Gundam stuff, I kinda want to start with Turn A. Partially because it's the first I read up on in-depth on TVTropes, partially because irony due to [spoilerS REDACTED]. Oh, and part because it's supposed to be Tomino's best work, so there's something. I'm also kinda interested in checking out 00, Char's Counterattack, Wing, and 08th MS Team for one reason or another.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Also, Netflix has gotten the rest of FMA:Brotherhood. Yay.

Didn't they have that back when they had a good anime selection? Stuff's just been coming and going from there, that's why I've switched to Funimation, Hulu, and Crunchroll for most of my anime watching stuff.

Anyways, after seeing the trailers for the Persona 3 Movie and the third Madoka movie, I'm absolutely convinced that Homura is a Persona user in the third Madoka movie.

Now that I'm getting interested in Gundam stuff, I kinda want to start with Turn A. Partially because it's the first I read up on in-depth on TVTropes, partially because irony due to [spoilerS REDACTED]. Oh, and part because it's supposed to be Tomino's best work, so there's something. I'm also kinda interested in checking out 00, Char's Counterattack, Wing, and 08th MS Team for one reason or another.

Don't watch Char's Counterattack without watching Gundam, Zeta, and ZZ first.

I have to get my TV monitor set up with cable (I don't watch TV). Not too sure about that 2 AM time slot but... whatever. Knowing me I'll probably be up anyways.

I'm interested to see how the show stacks up since I was very inexperienced with anime when I first saw it. I remember liking it and being able to forgive its flaws; maybe that will be harder since I've seen better shows since then.

Okay so I've just finished watching the last couple of episodes of Baccano! Such a great series. The characters are all pretty much amazing (as you can see from my recent name change, I am particularly fond of Isaac and Miria) Interestingly enough, the plot isn't really anything special, and I somehow do not care in the slightest, because the characters leave nothing to be desired. It's great.

My biggest gripe with the series would be "too little Graham Specter," especially since he only shows up after the Flying Pussyfoot incident. Seriously, in one episode Graham managed to become my favorite after Isaac and Miria. I wish he was more prominent.

(It also wasn't really nearly as gory as it had been described to me. Except for the rat. That poor, poor rat.)

AXKP5KC.png

Don't watch Char's Counterattack without watching Gundam, Zeta, and ZZ first.

Don't watch Turn A without watching literally everything before it, too.

hElbrZ6.gif

I just started watching Zeta Gundam after watching the original a few months ago. I think I'm liking it more so far and I'm only 3 episodes in.Though 00 was my first Gundam and I can see it staying my favourite.And I want to watch Turn A in particular because of Kanno Yoko.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

So, I've finished the first season of Railgun and I'm 9 episodes in with S. Definitely really good, but a bit different from what I was expecting, I was expecting most of the show to be like the Sisters arc, not a Slice-of-Life Comedy, but seeing the other side of the Sisters arc is definitely neat.And now I'm all excited for Index 3... Hopefully that will happen sometime next year.

At the point you're at there is no more slice-of-life (at least until the original arc, that is), just non-stop action and then 100% Sisters Arc. I think the next episode is the last episode of the Sisters Arc. I'm wondering how they will transition into the new arc and I'm also excited to see and hear the new opening.

And yes, Index III. We are all patiently anxiously waiting.

I does need Index III in my life.

Anyway, i finished up the last episode of Medaka Box Abnormal (ie the only episode of Good Loser Kumegawa) I thoguht the first season was harmless fun, but the second was pretty great all around. I definitely wish Gainax had had the chance to finish it, since the manga apparently only gets more and more intense. Speaking of which, I really need to read that.

AXKP5KC.png

I'm all caught up on Railgun now, the amount of recycled material in the last few episodes didn't surprise me much. I'm sure that made the folks at the animation studio happy.

And my Madoka Movie Blu-Rays have shipped. They're scheduled to arrive... Tomorrow. Earlier than I was expecting, since the official release date is the 30th, but at least I know what I'll be watching.

In the meantime, going to start AoT...

I've heard AoT is apparently going at the pace of one manga chapter per episode (don't quote me on that, though), which is really slow by any standard. Even if it is doing more, it still feels rather slow, but fortunately, I only have 3 episodes left until I'm caught up.And yeah, I ordered the movies from Rightstuf, but it turns out that I'll be getting them Tuesday or Wednesday. Turns out tomorrow was just USPS's preliminary date...

My three favorite anime are (in third) "Gurren Lagann", (in second) "Clannad; After Story", and "Angel Beats!". I've seen others, like Soul Eater (which is also a favorite) and I try my best to keep up with Naruto... but that's getting pretty hard seeing how I took at least a six month break... Other than that, Fruits Basket, Death Note, occasionally Bakka and Test when I want to watch something that isn't too serious.

So, Attack on Titan...

I'd say it's pretty good, but not living up to all the hype surrounding it, kinda like how I feel about Girls Und Panzer. Maybe it's just that I just watched everything so far in two days instead of following it every week from the beginning, as I know how you watch it can vastly affect your opinion

I'm kind of over Attack on Titan, to be honest. It is not bad by any means, they just kind of blew all of their "wow, wasn't expecting that" cards very early on. And now it feels like it's losing a lot of its initial momentum which made it so entertaining each week. It was cool at first, but until they show some lasting power then I'm going to continue to lose my interest. Has anyone read ahead in the manga? Does it start to pick up again soon?

And we all know the dangers of hype. It's fun to get caught up in it but once you're in you realize that nothing ever really lives up to it.

Well, I've read that

none of the major characters die, so far,

on the wiki. Which I kinda expect, but it probably would be better for the story if SOMETHING happened. And from a bit more I've read,

Eren isn't the only one who can transform into a titan.

I'd have to say it's definitely on the lower half of my list for this season, tied with Prisma Illya and a good deal better than Hyperdimension Neptunia.

In fact, Hyperdimension Neptunia is the only show this season that's going pretty much exactly as I was expecting (quality-wise), I wasn't expecting it to be that great, and it's not.

Oh, and one of the best things about AoT: the first theme song goes with everything. There are so many hilarious MADs with that song...

Edited by Terminus

Okay so I finished two series and started two others.Finished up Birdy the Mighty. You were right, Terminus. The second season is a lot better. So so so much better. I have to say I loved it up until halfway through the last episode. Honestly, I was expecting tragedy, not half-baked redemption. Especially since I wanted Nataru dead after he

killed Faroid and Tasera

But I guess it was still pretty great.Also wrapped up Anohaha. It's really a pretty great series. I don't think it quite stirred as much emotion as I would have liked (I think all the hype I've gotten over how tearjerking it was ended up softening the impact). But it was still great, and at its length, it's very much recommended.Started Spice & Wolf. The ed is bad. The animation seems good. Holo really should have put on some clothes sooner.Started Gankutsuou. Both the op and ed are in english whyyyyyy. The series itself seems...interesting? I think the style may take a while to get used to. (It's like Chowder but anime) But it seems intriguing either way.

AXKP5KC.png

Started Gankutsuou. Both the op and ed are in english whyyyyyy.

And the music being in English is bad because...?

Because it's not even good Eglish songs. It's a bad songs, in English. Also, this isn't Panty & Stocking. I prefer japanese music for anime. I watch anime in large part because of the japanese--I'm learning the language and anime helps a lot. Music too. Bad english songs aren't helping that.

AXKP5KC.png

So the bad songs won't be bad if they're in Japanese? So you'll make an exception for a single series but no others? So two songs are impeding your progress in learning Japanese?

If you don't like the songs that's fine, but disliking them for being in English makes you seem really elitist and close-minded

ThatIs just putting words in my mouth and assuming too much off very little. Come on. I was just talking about one series/its songs. I never dismissed English songs in all the animes ever.

I mentioned Panty & Stocking because that series revolves around the concept of it being a parody of American television. Thus, the (well-executed) English-exclusive soundtrack is very much appropriate in-series. Most other series are not quite the same. Which doesn't mean that I don't like any english at all in anything,( that's just silly.) It's just that PSG is the one series where it feels completely natural.

I don't like the song, and also, it is in English. Usually, even if the song isn't great, I get something out of it. Even if it's in English, if it's good, I get something out of it too. But this isn't a song I enjoy, and I'm not learning anything from it at all. So. That is all I'm saying. It. Really isn't a big deal.

Edited by Isaac Dian-Miria Harvent

AXKP5KC.png