Toy Fair 2012: Monsters and Dinos

The Vampire Castle might be the highlight of the line, but that awesome sand-gree vehicle is the highlight of that set.Once again, the Dino sets look a little ridiculous. A Tyrannosaurus Rex should easily burst out of that flimsy cage-like apparatus.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'd like to clarify that the leaf pieces are not "new in Sand Green", because they are not Sand Green. They are a new color, Olive Green, that debuted this year in the Dino theme for some of the minifigures and dinosaurs. It also appears in the Lord of the Rings theme, for minifigure parts and (hooray!) cheese slopes.But anyway, Monster Fighters looks to be a brilliant theme. Probably won't collect it though, what with Hero Factory and Ninjago eating up my budget. :P I can't believe you didn't mention how some of the Monster Fighters have amazing robot body parts, like the robot leg on the guy with the bowler. It's very Steampunk/anachronistic, and I love it.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Oohboy. I've been wanting these sets since before I even knew they existed!The Swamp Creature--Not bad; the monster is clearly the highlight, and is well worth the cost of the set.The Mummy--The set itself isn't bad, but the monster seems nearly identical to the Collectable Minifigures mummy that gave me such a terrible disappointment some time back (though, to be fair, this one has a cooler face). Nothing else really stands out.The Wolfman--Kind of average, though the car is very nice and the monster isn't half bad. Still not sure I'd spend $20 on it, though.The Vampire Hearse--I love every single thing about this set, with the sole exception of that obnoxious sticker on the roof. Thankfully, that will be easy to fix.Frankenstein and his Monster--Frankenstein...doesn't really look like Frankenstein, but he makes a pretty cool generic mad scientist, and the rest of the set looks awesome as well.The Ghost Train--Pretty cool, with a nicely implimented color scheme, but overall a little disappointing--the engine is okay, but the cars are too small; it needs to be like a real passenger train, the way LEGO has done before. It would, granted, make the set considerably more expensive, but it would be so cool! I guess that should be seen as an opportunity for people like myself, who somehow wound up with enough black bricks to choke a horse.Vampire Castle--Words cannot describe the awesomeness that is this set. From the car to the minifigures to the castle itself, it's all amazing and a fitting capstone to the theme.In short, I am going into spasms of joy right now. (And I will just have to stage a showdown between Lego Vampire and Lego Batman.)"But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"

Edited by The Main Man

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

When I heard the title "monster fighters" in the poll I hoped the monsters in question would be larger and more original... but now that I get what they mean by it, this is pretty good. Those pine-tree-like crystal things are especially awesome; I hope they show up in LDD. And skeleton train FTMajorW. :D An awesome collection of bone pieces from that.Dinos I already saw but they're cool. I still wish LEGO would make custom dinos, not big chunk dinos, but oh well.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'd like to clarify that the leaf pieces are not "new in Sand Green", because they are not Sand Green. They are a new color, Olive Green, that debuted this year in the Dino theme for some of the minifigures and dinosaurs. It also appears in the Lord of the Rings theme, for minifigure parts and (hooray!) cheese slopes.But anyway, Monster Fighters looks to be a brilliant theme. Probably won't collect it though, what with Hero Factory and Ninjago eating up my budget. :P I can't believe you didn't mention how some of the Monster Fighters have amazing robot body parts, like the robot leg on the guy with the bowler. It's very Steampunk/anachronistic, and I love it.

Thanks for the correction on the color.And I somehow managed to miss that feature on the Monsters minifigs. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at those sets though.

It's Evil Fabuland! ;)On a more serious note these sets seem really cool. I am stuck between a rock, a hard place and something else. I am collecting Ninjago, Hero Factory and now Monster Fighters. I really like the monsters, I am a big sucker for "mutated minifigures". I really will enjoy the "Collectible Minifigures" in this range, it is almost like TLG uses C.M. to prototype and test minifigs? I really have wanted that Mad Scientist. However Lego tends to release the amazing themes later than the release date in NZ. The first 2012 sets started trickling in, in early Jan and is releasing the last few ranges in May :(

DevBannerwithInterests.png

I just realized that connecting a bunch of those new technic pieces on the Vampire Castle to some of those three-sided plus rod pieces would make a really cool hexagon pattern. I won't be trying it myself, though, I don't think I'm going to buy any of these sets even though they look pretty interesting.

The+Edge-Banderbear.jpg bug_animated.gifStarhawk-PlayStation-3-b-300x300.jpg

"Wuh?"

I'm gonna have to say, wow. These all look pretty bawlin', yo. If I have the money lying around, I may have to compulsively pick one or two of these up.Now, if in the second wave, they were to release a Cthulhu set, or any of the other Lovecraftian horrors, then I would. Assuming I don't lose my mind from the sight of the box.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

One of the minifigure humans has a robotic leg.And there's a ghost train.LEGO, why do you keep tempting me to buy your sets when I no longer have the money for them :P ?-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

O, Great staff of BZP,What do my eyes see before me?A report of a new brand,With minifig's like Fabuland.To me this theme is really cool,The figures make me want to drool.The price of the sets is just great,How can I ever hate?The Dino part was quite boring,Those sets nearly had me snoring,This new range I'll have a collection,Monster Hunters is nearly perfection!

Edited by SillyCordak

DevBannerwithInterests.png

I'm gonna have to say, wow. These all look pretty bawlin', yo. If I have the money lying around, I may have to compulsively pick one or two of these up. Now, if in the second wave, they were to release a Cthulhu set, or any of the other Lovecraftian horrors, then I would. Assuming I don't lose my mind from the sight of the box.

This is the only way they could possibly top this first wave...they should totally do it!"But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

All those monster sets look like B-rate horror movies. I love it! I'd actually have to say that my favorite is the cheapo Swamp Creature set. The scene it depicts is pulled strait out of a dozen cheezy horror movies. Heck, I've got seven bucks. I might pick it up.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

When I first heard about "Monster Fighters," I thought it sounded like the dumbest theme I've ever heard of. And it still does.But I tell you, it looks like the best theme, bar Pharaoh's Quest and Orient Expedition, in over a decade. All the hunters look great, and all the monsters look great, and all the sets look great, for that matter. Though the Ghost Train has a very eye-pleasing design, I'm personally not interested in owning it. Vampire Castle, on the other hand, is ineffably awesome. Man-Bat in LEGO? Yes, please. I'm only disappointed that if I wanted the jungle explorer hunter, probably my favorite minifig, I'd have to cough up another $20.
From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?