• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Doctor Who. Official!

Doctor who Sci-fi Time travel

• Please log in to reply
1373 replies to this topic

#681 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 12 2012 - 05:07 PM

I thought I recognised the voice of Robert Webb in that last episode!!

Yeah, he was one of the voices for the robots, the other being played by his long-time comedy partner David Mitchell. It was like Peep Show if Jeremy and Mark were robots :P

Edited by Lord of Adders Black, Sep 12 2012 - 05:08 PM.

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

the_ultron_imperative.jpg

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#682 Offline Alex Turner

Alex Turner
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,601 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 13 2012 - 01:52 PM

I thought I recognised the voice of Robert Webb in that last episode!!

Yeah, he was one of the voices for the robots, the other being played by his long-time comedy partner David Mitchell. It was like Peep Show if Jeremy and Mark were robots :P

That's weird, I love Peep Show but somehow I didn't recognise their voices :blink:

Arctic-Monkeys-Blog-Banner.jpg

But that place on memory lane you liked still looks the same / But something 'bout it's changed

#683 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 17 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm saddened by the lack of discussion for A Town Called Mercy here.Especially since Ben Browder* was awesome (not that I expected anything less).
Spoiler
-CF*See: Farscape, Stargate SG-1 Seasons 9 and 10.

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#684 Offline Bundalings

Bundalings
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,234 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Sep 17 2012 - 10:05 PM

I've enjoyed all the episodes this season so far, but I'm especially excited about this week's. It's been a while since we've had a good adventure on regular old Earth.

skiddo.png.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

#685 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 17 2012 - 11:29 PM

I know almost nothing about episode 4. To which I am very excited. Everything will be a surprise! I haven't even watched the trailer yet, only heard a blip of a guest from this series returning. That's it. And the episode title from the wallpaper put out. Plot, quotes, location/time period--all a mystery to me! :biggrin:-CF(Also, we just had a "good adventure on regular old Earth." :P )

Edited by ChocolateFrogs, Sep 17 2012 - 11:31 PM.

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#686 Offline Bundalings

Bundalings
  • Premier Member
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,234 posts

Posted Sep 18 2012 - 12:03 AM

No, that was past Earth. XP

skiddo.png.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

#687 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,546 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 18 2012 - 02:00 AM

Australia's a week behind (unless you use iView), so I haven't seen Mercy yet. Dinosaurs was a lot more Saturday morning cartoon-ish than most episodes (I mean, the bad guy's spaceship was coloured red and black, the raptors don't have feathers, the triceratops acts like a dog, and there's a standard "girls can do anything" message in there to boot), but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, and between all that and the Doctor's cute, zany antics throughout the episode, it sort of lulled you into a false sense of security so that the ending had more of an impact.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

#688 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 18 2012 - 11:35 AM

Spoiler

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#689 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 20 2012 - 12:30 PM

Alright, list famous British/UK actors you wish were in Doctor Who. Cross out names you're glad finally made their appearance since they are required to by British law.Mark StrongEwan McGreggorMark SheppardBill Nighy-CF(I probably have more people to add to those lists but I can't remember them off the top of my head.)

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#690 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 20 2012 - 01:52 PM

Rowan Atkinson (I'm not counting Curse of Fatal Death)Jeremy IronsAlan RickmanDavid BowieDavid JasonTim CurryI don't think David Jason or Tim Curry would be good picks for the Doctor, but the other four would and all six should appear on Doctor Who at some point.

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

I am most definitely a mad man with a blog.

#691 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 26 2012 - 12:58 AM

So I really enjoyed The Power Of Three until...
Spoiler
I think I'll be able to build to build one of those cubes out of LEGO though, with a trans-blue tint in the middle of each side. Hehe.-CF

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#692 Offline Alex Turner

Alex Turner
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,601 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 26 2012 - 02:59 PM

Spoiler
I think I'll be able to build to build one of those cubes out of LEGO though, with a trans-blue tint in the middle of each side. Hehe.-CF

I agree about that thing, I felt it was a bit jarring. I've been thinking all of these episodes could have done with being two-parters, as they all felt like they tried to do too much in one segment of time.I think I'll just go for the 'loads of card cubes coloured black' option. Makes for larger quantities and all that :P I could even put surprises inside...

But that place on memory lane you liked still looks the same / But something 'bout it's changed

#693 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 26 2012 - 03:49 PM

Spoiler

I agree about that thing, I felt it was a bit jarring. I've been thinking all of these episodes could have done with being two-parters, as they all felt like they tried to do too much in one segment of time.I think I'll just go for the 'loads of card cubes coloured black' option. Makes for larger quantities and all that :P I could even put surprises inside...

I know Moffat doesn't want any 2-parters this season, which is great, but I felt that this episode could have been done well split. Not the others though, because there wasn't really two stories to tell. But this could have been "invasion/what is happening/Doctor shenanigans" and then "now we make the big plan to stop it because we're awesome."-CF

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#694 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,546 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 01:55 AM

Haven't seem PoT yet, but this series is strongly implying that the Ponds are getting tired of the Doctor and will eventually decide to stop travelling with him for good, leaving the show that way......which naturally means that Moffat is going to kill them off in the most gruesome and heart-wrenching way ever. Discuss.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

#695 Offline Bundalings

Bundalings
  • Premier Member
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,234 posts

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 05:33 AM

Please don't, Moffat. ;_;

skiddo.png.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

#696 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 10:14 AM

Please don't, Moffat. ;_;

Your pleas for mercy only feed his bloodlust.

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

#697 Offline Alex Turner

Alex Turner
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,601 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 01:04 PM

I think he'll make us all think they're gonna die then have them live in some confusing way.See, I'm one step ahead of him.Unless he predicts people like me doing this and pulls a sort of double-bluff-twist thingy. There's no way of knowing :o

#698 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 03:47 PM

One theory I've seen is that The Doctor is meeting them in reverse this season. Like, Angels Take Manhattan is his first encounter with them after so long, but for them it's their (*teardrop*) last. So he then starts meeting up with them to squeeze in a few last adventures. Which explains a few weird things that have gone on, like not knowing some of their problems or making a few actions in a weird-ordered timeline that makes sense to him but not them.-CF

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#699 Offline Lair of Rockwhales

Lair of Rockwhales
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 43 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 04:07 PM

So, um...how about that Hartnell?I'm only up to The Celestial Toymaker, so I'm about... 14% through the show :(
GREEN RED BRICK, YOU STAY!!!

...are you ready to le

#700 Offline Alex Turner

Alex Turner
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,601 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 04:52 PM

So, um...how about that Hartnell?I'm only up to The Celestial Toymaker, so I'm about... 14% through the show :(

You're watching it from the start?! :oYou sir, are a tank.

#701 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 07:41 PM

Oh, he'll probably give up around the 6th Doctor. The actors remained fairly good throughout, but the writing got kind of ridiculous there towards the end.

#702 Offline Lair of Rockwhales

Lair of Rockwhales
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 43 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 28 2012 - 11:04 PM

You're watching it from the start?! :o

Indeed I am. Of course, I've already seen most of 3 and 4, but I might as well go through it all again since I've forgotten a lot of 3. What I've seen of the first four are from old worn-down VHS recordings that only had serials not missing any episodes, but now I'm able to see the reconstructions so I'm attempting to go through the whole thing in order.

Oh, he'll probably give up around the 6th Doctor. The actors remained fairly good throughout, but the writing got kind of ridiculous there towards the end.

That rainbow outfitI already have a bad impression of the 6th Doctor and I've not even seen one second of his show.So anyway, Celestial Toymaker is... not that great. With a name like that, I was sort of expecting something magnificent. Instead I got some derp who wants to play games, musical death chairs, and these two stupid clown dolls that cheat on an obsticle course and annoying music everywhere. The second episode was better, but the first one. The first one. The music. The clown's voice.Even worse, the next serial once I finish this one is The Gunfighters. What's so bad about this? It apparently has a SINGING NARRATOR (which honestly isn't that bad, but it's just really weird). Yeah, I'm starting to see another reason why people liked the 4th Doctor so much (I'll never forget that time Hartnell broke the fourth wall).

Edited by Lair of Rockwhales, Sep 28 2012 - 11:05 PM.

GREEN RED BRICK, YOU STAY!!!

...are you ready to le

#703 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well that threw my emotions out the window forever.-CF

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#704 Offline Colette Llyan

Colette Llyan
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Disintegration Resolved

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 05:40 PM

Spoiler

#705 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 05:53 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Lord of Adders Black, Sep 30 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#706 Offline Colette Llyan

Colette Llyan
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 06:05 PM

Spoiler

#707 Offline Booker DeWitt

Booker DeWitt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 5,508 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 06:08 PM

Spoiler
- Tilius

stendan.jpg

#708 Offline Colette Llyan

Colette Llyan
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 07:07 PM

Spoiler

#709 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Book Badger

• 994 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Sep 30 2012 - 07:20 PM

Watched it last night. Thoughts:
Spoiler

Edited by GSR, Sep 30 2012 - 07:21 PM.

I am moving across the country! Please allow me time to reply to any messages/etc. Thanks!

newbforumleader.jpg
(That's a blog link for what it's worth)

The Q&A Compendium
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

#710 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Oct 03 2012 - 10:05 AM

Step 1) Get enough money to go to a Doctor Who convention.Step 2) Get enough money to get a thousand black foam cubes that look like the ones from The Power of Three.Step 3) Leave them lying around all over the place during the convention, probably on Saturday so by mid-afternoon the convention has been properly "invaded."Step 4) ???Step 5) Profit!-CF

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#711 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 3,185 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 03 2012 - 12:00 PM

What a tragic ending. :(
Spoiler

~ CHTrilogy

whob.png

#712 Offline Yukiko

Yukiko
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,835 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 03 2012 - 09:52 PM

It is really taking all my willpower not to click on those spoilers. Well, I know now that something bad is going to happen, but that is not surprising considering Moffat is Evil.I feel like one of the only people in my friends group that actually liked that RT Davies era more. I don't know what it is, I like Matt Smith, I love Rory, and I am okay with Amy. Maybe its something about not being hit over the head with Plot. At the same time, it's not like I dislike Moffat's writing...it just...gives me these vibes, like there's one reason I can't completely throw myself behind it. It's in Sherlock too, but less obvious I think because Gatniss is more involved.So I don't know what this is, urg. ._.

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - LuciraMorie - Shuuan

lampbanner.jpg

Library [blog]

#713 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,788 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 10:33 AM

To each his own. Davies has some good episodes, but if anything leads up to the season finale he writes it is very subtle throughout the season. Moffat, I feel, works in big ideas, and uses every bit of the science-fantasy genre of Doctor Who to his advantage. Sure, he has some "bad" episodes too, but I haven't found much flaw with him. Davies was great for starting out the show easy for new viewers, but I love what Moffat does to reward the fans. Moffat doesn't like the shows where one doesn't have to think.-CF

sup_spidey_banner.jpg

#714 Offline Booker DeWitt

Booker DeWitt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 5,508 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 11:40 AM

But Moffat isn't half as clever as he thinks he is. Granted, stuff like Blink and The Empty Child were great, but his first arc with the Pandorica and the 'the universe has ended but we're still here for a convoluted reason', 'we can reboot the universe with light' stuff was all silly. It was only 'clever' because it used rules that he'd made up, if that makes sense. Not to mention that he brings stuff up and then seems to forget about it and never answer it. Like the end of series 5 - the voice in the TARDIS, the people who'd been to Amy's house, how and why the different bad guys were working together (just a shot of the Silence influencing them all together would've been good). Then he thows in stuff like Amy and Rory's divorce, and makes River Song their childhood friend, which would've been fine if that'd been set up in The Eleventh Hour. And he pointlessly makes River a regenerator, has a lazy 'mind control' plot with her to follow on from her 'I killed the best man I ever knew' thing from Series 5, which we should've been led to believe was the Doctor BUT in the end should've been her dad, Rory.He just sets stuff up and either leaves it hanging or resolves it quite predictably. Take the Angels episode this season, you knew from it having Angels in it and it being Rory and Amy's last episode that what happened was going to happen.- Tilius

stendan.jpg

#715 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 01:09 PM

Mmh. I think Moffat is considerably cleverer with Sherlock than Doctor Who, possibly because he doesn't have the sci-fi stuff to work with, and thus doesn't get to make up weird rules about how things work.Regardless, though, he does seem very smug about himself.

#716 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 03:59 PM

Not to mention that he brings stuff up and then seems to forget about it and never answer it

I think its less he never answers it, more he just takes his time. I mean, the shot from Angels Take Manhattan where we hear him going back to visit Young Amy was set up all the way in Eleventh Hour. Either he assumes he'll get back to it or expects us to work it out on our own because he treats the audience like they're intelligent (something we don't get enough of)

#717 Offline Booker DeWitt

Booker DeWitt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 5,508 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 04:22 PM

Not to mention that he brings stuff up and then seems to forget about it and never answer it

I think its less he never answers it, more he just takes his time. I mean, the shot from Angels Take Manhattan where we hear him going back to visit Young Amy was set up all the way in Eleventh Hour. Either he assumes he'll get back to it or expects us to work it out on our own because he treats the audience like they're intelligent (something we don't get enough of)

But that's the one thing he went back to, and it wasn't even essential to the plot. Plus, I think I read that he suddenly remembered he'd set that up whilst writing the ending, so it's not like it was part of his big plan. I like his attitude of 'don't whine when it gets complicated, pay attention to what you're watching' towards people who were saying it was all too complicated, though. It's a good attitude to have.Still, most of the time the complexity comes from his own setting of space-time rules, which means stuff can be a bit deus ex machina, rather than actually clever or complicated. I don't expect every week to be like Blink or The Empty Child, but for his overall series arcs I thought he'd pull out something incredible, but he's yet to.- Tilius

stendan.jpg

#718 Offline Bundalings

Bundalings
  • Premier Member
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,234 posts

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just watched it. I thought there was an episode a season or two ago where Amy and Rory have a kid or two in present day, or something? What happened to that? It was after they stopped traveling with Doctor for a while... and he saw them at the mall or something.

skiddo.png.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

#719 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 04 2012 - 08:47 PM

Just watched it. I thought there was an episode a season or two ago where Amy and Rory have a kid or two in present day, or something? What happened to that? It was after they stopped traveling with Doctor for a while... and he saw them at the mall or something.

I think you might be talking about Amy's Choice, where she and Rory were settled down and she was heavily pregnant. That turned out to be a dream. Possibly even a dream within a dream depending on how you look at it

#720 Offline Skarloth

Skarloth
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,769 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 05 2012 - 12:23 AM

I've literally just started watching the show, honestly, like yesterday. I started with Christopher, and I'm currently making my way through his episodes. I have to say, it's pretty neat, but it doesn't seem quite as amazing as some people made it out to be, IMO. -Skar

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users