• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Doctor Who. Official!

Doctor who Sci-fi Time travel

• Please log in to reply
1591 replies to this topic

#1561 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 11-March 11
  • 473 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 05 2015 - 08:24 AM

Spoiler

nocturn_bbc_69_signature.jpg

#1562 Offline Iaredios

Iaredios
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 10-April 07
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 05:45 AM

I bet no one here can guess which doctor I liked the most. :lol:

I got in at said Doctor (and missed a good chunk of the first season and first few episodes of the second episodes), and haven't seen the 9th Doctor. i have heard good things about that Doctor season(s?), y'all think I should watch it? I found a used DVD/Blu-Ray case of it at a store nearby.

PM me if you have Europa Universalis IV , or Crusader Kings II.

bionicle_universalis_signature_banner.jp

I am on a quest to make a BIONICLE Strategy Game! Click above or here to see how you can help.

YOUTUBE ------- STEAM ------- DEVIANT ART  ---- (Please PM me before you add me on Steam, I want to know who I am befriending)

--insert a quote about outer space and the universe here that would be banned from this website--

#1563 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 20-July 07
  • 2,987 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 08:06 AM

Definitely, 9 is fantastic. He only had one season so there's not much to get through, and apart from some fart jokes everything was pretty solid and at least entertaining, and some of his episodes are definitely among the best of revival, Dalek and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances in particular. It's also got a bit of a different feel to it than the following seasons 'cause the show was still finding its legs and they used weird camera filters and some interesting music choices, so it could be entertaining just to see the differences. Eccleston is an amazing actor, too. His season is on Netflix, if you use that.

Edited by Pomegranate, Jan 23 2015 - 08:08 AM.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png                                                                                                                      .

#1564 Offline TurteX

TurteX
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 09-March 13
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 12:45 PM

Eccleston is for sure a good Doctor. His season may not be the best, but it's definitly worth watching if you like Doctor Who. And as Pomegranate mentioned this season has some extremely good episodes, like those he mentioned.

-  :t: :u: :r: :t: :e: :x:

Check out my photostream at Flickr!

#1565 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 31 2015 - 10:12 AM

Oh, Doctor, I don't deserve to be a fan of you anymore... can't say I have deserved it, really, when I think about it. :(

Edited by CHTrilogy, Jan 31 2015 - 10:15 AM.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1566 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 11-March 11
  • 473 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 31 2015 - 12:28 PM

There's rumors going around from a trustworthy source on Gallifrey Base that there's a new adult show set in the Whoniverse in the works for BBC 3. Apparently some episodes will feature the (12th) Doctor (apparently some episodes were pitched in for River but they weren't accepted), some will feature Jack and Gwen from Torchwood (the guy said post-CoE, not post-MD) and some all new characters. It could be blatant lies (after all, Russell shyed away from featuring the Doctor on Torchwood because he feared the kids would follow the Doctor wherever he went, but then again this season went darker and RTD is no longer in charge) but with new Torchwood radio plays announced (or were they audio dramas?) announced (starring even Tosh, Owen and Ianto to boot), maybe Torchwood will indeed be revisited on TV in some way too.

#1567 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-November 09
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 01 2015 - 02:02 AM

Oh, Doctor, I don't deserve to be a fan of you anymore... can't say I have deserved it, really, when I think about it. :(

Why do you say that?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

#1568 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 01 2015 - 05:29 PM

Well - I think I'm becoming disconnected from it. Series 8 proved to me that Moffat has run out of ideas, amongst... other things. I pitched this to other Whovians - and they promptly ganged up on me. Only when I learned that it's only a band of people known as SJWs who resent him that I realised what I got myself into. They poisoned me with their petty, feeble quibbling, and I don't know what to think anymore.

Also, one of them accused me of being a bad Whovian! He said I wouldn't even know what the name of the 100th episode of the classic series was! Apparently I professed the show to be my fanatical interest. But no... I know a lot more about Star Trek than I do Doctor Who.

Edited by CHTrilogy, Feb 01 2015 - 05:39 PM.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1569 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 20-July 07
  • 2,987 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 01 2015 - 05:54 PM

You really shouldn't care what anyone else thinks about your tastes. 'SJW's aren't the only ones who aren't fans of Moffat's lackluster writing and practices. You don't have to know arbitrary episode titles to be a 'true fan' or whatever. You should really pay it no mind and just enjoy the show however you can :)

pomegranate-banner-sm.png                                                                                                                      .

#1570 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 02 2015 - 10:00 AM

Well it is becoming more... cerebral. It requires a lot more thought on the viewer's behalf - which I don't seem to have put into it.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1571 Online moamahrimatoro

moamahrimatoro
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 13-December 14
  • 521 posts

Posted Feb 06 2015 - 10:39 PM

I think DW is still great, but not what it was. I loved most of season 8, with exemptions of: Deep Breath, That one with Robin Hood, and Into the Forest of the Night (I compare that episode with Teen Titans Go! the worst cartoon ever created. I know little kids who watch it.) This is what that episode falls down to.

My YouTube: https://www.youtube....pStkSgZggv0nSIw

HATE Teen Titans Go! Go on, watch it. Don't you agree?

2015 Checklist! Toa- 6/6! Protectors- 3/6 Villans- 0/1

MY SPACEBAR CAN BE STUCK AT TIMES!!! Bear with me if this happens.

Vote Gaardus: King of Combination Models by MoaMahriMatoro in BBC #69!

#1572 Offline Petewa

Petewa
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 18-January 15
  • 312 posts

Posted Feb 06 2015 - 10:48 PM

I think DW is still great, but not what it was. I loved most of season 8, with exemptions of: Deep Breath, That one with Robin Hood, and Into the Forest of the Night (I compare that episode with Teen Titans Go! the worst cartoon ever created. I know little kids who watch it.) This is what that episode falls down to.

Teen Titans Go! was intended to be a humorous retelling of the slightly older show: Teen Titans, and while being a stepdown from the original, it still accomplished its goal,

I bet no one here can guess which doctor I liked the most.  :lol:

I got in at said Doctor (and missed a good chunk of the first season and first few episodes of the second episodes), and haven't seen the 9th Doctor. i have heard good things about that Doctor season(s?), y'all think I should watch it? I found a used DVD/Blu-Ray case of it at a store nearby.

Ninth doctor was good, I think my favorite of his episodes is The Doctor Dances, if I'm remembering the title right,

Edited by Petewa, Feb 06 2015 - 10:50 PM.

Mata Nui, someone should hire you as a lawyer Petewa..
Oh wait...*checks list of alternate Petewa's* someone already has. Dimension 254 Petewa is a successfull attorney advocating the rights of Po-Matoran.

4435788_orig.png

#1573 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 11-March 11
  • 473 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 07 2015 - 03:48 PM

I can't wait for the Doctor Who Ideas set! I really hope it comes with minifigs of all the Doctors (The Watcher, The Valeyard, Meta-Crisis Doctor and Dream Lord notwithstanding) though I'm not gonna hold my breath for anything other than 12 and maybe 4 and 11.

#1574 Offline Petewa

Petewa
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 18-January 15
  • 312 posts

Posted Feb 07 2015 - 06:08 PM

I can't wait for the Doctor Who Ideas set! I really hope it comes with minifigs of all the Doctors (The Watcher, The Valeyard, Meta-Crisis Doctor and Dream Lord notwithstanding) though I'm not gonna hold my breath for anything other than 12 and maybe 4 and 11.

I'd hope for ten,

Oh wait...*checks list of alternate Petewa's* someone already has. Dimension 254 Petewa is a successfull attorney advocating the rights of Po-Matoran.

4435788_orig.png

#1575 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Book Badger

• 18-January 03
  • 1,135 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 04:48 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p02kbm8s

Is it considered a spoiler if it's an official clip from the BBC? In any event, look who it is!

#1576 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 11-March 11
  • 473 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 06:58 AM

That's fantastic! I was worried she'd be done away with next time we saw the Master. She's my favorite Master so far!

#1577 Offline Petewa

Petewa
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 18-January 15
  • 312 posts

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 08:36 AM

Well well, the universe is about to get int'resting,

4435788_orig.png

#1578 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-November 09
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 09:04 AM

If they try to give an explanation how she survived, it had better be more plausible than this one I thought up in ten seconds.

Ganger harness + TARDIS energy= Perfectly stable artificial body that can be controlled easily and destroyed convincingly without harming user. Done.

(Basically, Ganger/Flesh technology means any death can be retconned if need be.)

Also, am late to this discussion, but, a few things:

• "SJW"- "Social Justice Warrior" has become something of a derogatory word for feminist/person who is concerned with various types of equality/equity. Yes, there's a portion of those people, particularly those on Tumblr, who tend to classify all famous people as either "perfect and can do no wrong" or "piece of excrement" , but there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking to see more and better representation in your favourite shows. I'd personally prefer it if you didn't use that term to describe well-meaning people, though I do understand where that sentiment comes from. 
  • Anybody who tries to tell you you're not a true fan/uses trivia to humiliate you is not worth your time. You don't have to have spent hundreds of hours of your life watching this show and consuming all the supplementary material to have formed a thoughtful and valid opinion that is worth discussing. A certain type of geek is particularly prone to slinging this type of ignorant bile at feminists and women- hence the whole "Fake Geek Girl" meme and the use of the term "SJW".
  • CHTrilogy, I can tell that you genuinely are concerned with how certain groups are portrayed in your favourite shows, and I think that's great. I will confess I have found your hatred of Moffat a bit aggressive in the past, but there is certainly a lot of thoughtful critique of his work to be had without assuming everything he touches is automatically corrupt and terrible. I personally see him as brilliantly funny, ineffably smug, extremely clever, and generally fond of the "ideal" of the strong female character, while at the same time not wanting to be seen as someone easily swayed by fan opinion, and somewhat reluctant to admit to mistakes. It's totally okay to not necessarily feel one extreme or the other about him, if that's where you are.
  • Please please don't let anyone make you feel bad for liking or disliking a show or a writer the way you do, and I hope you aren't feeling pressured to change your opinion in order to better associate or disassociate with certain fan-groups. Pushy fans like that can really ruin the fandom experience for other people. There's a big reason I mostly only lurk in the Sherlock fandom...

#1579 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 06:24 PM

Thanks, Alyska. I wish it didn't matter, I really do, but oh apparently, the people who don't like Steven Moffat aren't fans! And I... don't even care anymore.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1580 Offline Hordaki

Hordaki
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 20-August 09
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 10:08 AM

If they try to give an explanation how she survived, it had better be more plausible than this one I thought up in ten seconds.

Ganger harness + TARDIS energy= Perfectly stable artificial body that can be controlled easily and destroyed convincingly without harming user. Done.

(Basically, Ganger/Flesh technology means any death can be retconned if need be.)

Not a bad theory by any means, but I doubt that they'll bring back the Gangers without having mentioned them at least once last season. 

Personally, I think that the beam that killed her didn't actually kill her, but teleported her somewhere else.  Why would the Cybermen, who can turn anyone living or dead into another Cyberman, create a weapon to vaporize potential Cybermen?

Edited by Hordaki, Feb 21 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#1581 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 11-March 11
  • 473 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 03:52 PM

Not a bad theory by any means, but I doubt that they'll bring back the Gangers without having mentioned them at least once last season. 

Personally, I think that the beam that killed her didn't actually kill her, but teleported her somewhere else.  Why would the Cybermen, who can turn anyone living or dead into another Cyberman, create a weapon to vaporize potential Cybermen?

That's what I think will happen. That also gives them an excuse to bring back Osgood.

#1582 Offline Hordaki

Hordaki
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 20-August 09
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 04:45 PM

That's what I think will happen. That also gives them an excuse to bring back Osgood.

Wasn't Osgood killed by Missy's iPhone of Death? Unless that's also a teleporter, in which case I don't see why she would keep Osgood alive. I would love to see her back, but I doubt we'll see her again.

#1583 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-November 09
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 07:17 PM

The Cybermen can't convert all species. They'd be powerless against things like the Daleks if they didn't have some kind of weapon on them. A blaster of sorts also helps against physical objects in your way.

I actually think they won't give any explanation. They rarely have before with the Master.

#1584 Offline Hordaki

Hordaki
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 20-August 09
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 08:36 PM

The Cybermen can't convert all species. They'd be powerless against things like the Daleks if they didn't have some kind of weapon on them. A blaster of sorts also helps against physical objects in your way.

I actually think they won't give any explanation. They rarely have before with the Master.

Good point, but I meant that if Missy could be converted (and according to Nightmare in Silver, Time Lords can be), there would be no reason to vaporize her. But of course Moffat could just ignore that and hand-wave it away. I hope not, but he could.

#1585 Online moamahrimatoro

moamahrimatoro
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 13-December 14
  • 521 posts

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 09:28 PM

In the new video, Missy mentions that an apple reminded her of Adam and Eve. Are we doing more religious stuff past Heaven?

My YouTube: https://www.youtube....pStkSgZggv0nSIw

HATE Teen Titans Go! Go on, watch it. Don't you agree?

2015 Checklist! Toa- 6/6! Protectors- 3/6 Villans- 0/1

MY SPACEBAR CAN BE STUCK AT TIMES!!! Bear with me if this happens.

Vote Gaardus: King of Combination Models by MoaMahriMatoro in BBC #69!

#1586 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-November 09
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 09:58 PM

Good point, but I meant that if Missy could be converted (and according to Nightmare in Silver, Time Lords can be), there would be no reason to vaporize her. But of course Moffat could just ignore that and hand-wave it away. I hope not, but he could.

A normal cyberman would probably try to convert her, yes. But the cyberman in question wasn't exactly ordinary...

#1587 Offline Hordaki

Hordaki
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 20-August 09
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 10:07 PM

A normal cyberman would probably try to convert her, yes. But the cyberman in question wasn't exactly ordinary...

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. I guess it could have killed her, but I thought that that would be a simple way to explain bringing her back. I'd just prefer Moffat had an actual explanation for it and not because wibbly-wobbly (this coming from someone who actually does enjoy his work).

#1588 Offline Petewa

Petewa
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 18-January 15
  • 312 posts

Posted Feb 22 2015 - 07:41 PM

In the new video, Missy mentions that an apple reminded her of Adam and Eve. Are we doing more religious stuff past Heaven?

I hope not,

4435788_orig.png

#1589 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 09:47 AM

That would surely be suicide!

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1590 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-November 09
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 07:54 PM

I don't know about "more" necessarily- remember that the main villains of Series 5-7 were a religious group, with certain unflattering parallels towards real-life religions. We've had a monster that preyed upon religious and superstitious people (lumping the two together is quite telling, no?), and an overarching theme of how  beliefs about death and mortality can be used to manipulate people ("don't cremate me!"). But at the same time, they've confirmed the in-universe existence of an afterlife, so they're not really on either side of the fence as far as I can see. There's always going to be social commentary in Doctor Who, and religion is part of the package.

Nor is it Moffat exclusive- RTD had an episode where the Doctor literally confronts Satan... or an alien that might just happen to resemble our idea of him. Religious themes in this show are not new.

#1591 Offline toa ordaku

toa ordaku
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 28-October 07
  • 1,226 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 25 2015 - 10:39 PM

You really shouldn't care what anyone else thinks about your tastes. 'SJW's aren't the only ones who aren't fans of Moffat's lackluster writing and practices. You don't have to know arbitrary episode titles to be a 'true fan' or whatever. You should really pay it no mind and just enjoy the show however you can :)

As a creative writing major, I can confirm this. And the reason "social justice warriors" typically have problems with the show are his portrayals of women and PoC, the former of which Moffat has repeatedly stated only exist to fall in love with the Doctor. All around, he's not a good writer, and he doesn't treat his characters and the legacy of the show with the respect that it deserves.

We've actually already gone past heaven, if you consider the devil as portrayed in series 2.

Edited by toa ordaku, Feb 25 2015 - 10:40 PM.

Rest in Peace, Joey Powers! I'm sorry that I didn't have the chance to get to know you!

Credit to ~Nausicaa~ for the second banner.
If you created the first banner, please come forward so I can give you credit.

#1592 Offline Petewa

Petewa
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 18-January 15
  • 312 posts

Posted Feb 25 2015 - 11:54 PM

As a creative writing major, I can confirm this. And the reason "social justice warriors" typically have problems with the show are his portrayals of women and PoC, the former of which Moffat has repeatedly stated only exist to fall in love with the Doctor. All around, he's not a good writer, and he doesn't treat his characters and the legacy of the show with the respect that it deserves.

We've actually already gone past heaven, if you consider the devil as portrayed in series 2.

I would like to mention that Missy considered herself to be God,

4435788_orig.png

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users