• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Doctor Who. Official!

Doctor who Sci-fi Time travel

• Please log in to reply
1620 replies to this topic

#1601 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2015 - 02:02 PM

To be fair, literally EVERY time the Master has come back from JNT-forwards (and probably even sooner, I can't remember how the explained away him being there in The Deadly Assassin), it's always been thanks to a handwave. It's practically tradition. Heck, the telemovie didn't even bother and that had to be explained away in the expanded universe. Granted, RTD's handwave was the most creative so far, but still a handwave.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey, May 04 2015 - 02:04 PM.

19482987311_ba5a8fa35e_o.png

#1602 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,226 posts
  •  

Posted May 05 2015 - 05:14 AM

Dear God, I hadn't thought of that!

Well... if it turns out that the Master is a Mysteron or something, I'd accept that.

Edited by CHTrilogy, May 05 2015 - 01:45 PM.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1603 Offline I AM SPLEL CHEPMSDIN

I AM SPLEL CHEPMSDIN
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 09-July 07
  • 2,827 posts
  •  

Posted May 09 2015 - 07:10 PM

Episodes 7 and 8 are going to be written by Peter Harness, and they make up a two-parter.

This is extremely disappointing news, IMO. Peter Harness is the writer behind 'Kill The Moon'. That says all you need to know about the quality of the episodes, and the BBC has shown poor judgement allowing him to write for DW again IMO.

Keep scrolling. 

#1604 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted May 10 2015 - 09:27 AM

Eh, I used to hate Gatiss episodes and dreaded whenever he showed up but Cold War and The Crimson Horror were the highlights of a pretty disappointing season for me so I'm willing to give Harness another chance.

#1605 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,226 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2015 - 06:01 PM

I feel disgusting for being a Whovian again... I just don't understand this show anymore! Quite apart from the fact that I have 47 years of continuity to catch up on, I've shown on multiple occasions that I'm just not smart enough for it. In fact, I'm too stupid for it! And what is so strange is that I didn't have this problem before. I think those years reading Sinfest have caused my brain to degenerate and me to lose my comprehension of this show just like Frank Miller misplaced his understanding of Batman. I... even came up with an original character for the Whoniverse, but I don't even understand him as well as I should!

...I'm still gonna get the Lego sets though.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1606 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2015 - 08:47 PM

You don't need to catch up on all the backstory, though. You can enjoy Who however you want to. You don't need to understand everything about it (or even your OCs). I don't understand some things that happened in Neon Genesis Evangelion (even if it isn't that hard to get in retrospect) but I still love it and consider myself a fan.

#1607 Offline D5 Petewa

D5 Petewa
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 18-January 15
  • 952 posts

Posted May 12 2015 - 07:22 AM

I feel disgusting for being a Whovian again... I just don't understand this show anymore! Quite apart from the fact that I have 47 years of continuity to catch up on, I've shown on multiple occasions that I'm just not smart enough for it. In fact, I'm too stupid for it! And what is so strange is that I didn't have this problem before. I think those years reading Sinfest have caused my brain to degenerate and me to lose my comprehension of this show just like Frank Miller misplaced his understanding of Batman. I... even came up with an original character for the Whoniverse, but I don't even understand him as well as I should!

...I'm still gonna get the Lego sets though.

Gallifreyan things are beyond human understanding. :P

No one needs to know everything about a show to see it, I think part of the wonder of it, is that I don't understand half of what's going on, it's the only show nowadays that I'll actually get excited about, because it's the only show that surprises me, It's the only one where I don't understand what's going on, meaning that I can't see what's coming. I have a few OCs of my own, and to make them easier to understand, for myself, I made sure that my main one, also, has no idea what's going on. It's a wonderful show, a wonderful plot, a wonderfully built universe, and you shouldn't be disgusted just because you don't understand, or think yourself imbecilic, you don't have to watch every episode that's showed up over the past fifty-ish years.

And hear hear on that last bit.

Edited by D5 Petewa, May 12 2015 - 07:23 AM.

2037130_orig.png

#1608 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,226 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2015 - 06:29 PM

Thanks... that helps a bit. But there's still the fact that "Listen" is slated for a Hugo award, and I'm like the only one who's too incompetent to get it! From what I can gather, it's about facing the fear of things that aren't there... but knowing my luck, I'm probably wrong. Also, I have the nagging feeling that the barn scene may have carried unfortunate long-term implications.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1609 Offline moamahrimatoro

moamahrimatoro
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 13-December 14
  • 769 posts

Posted May 12 2015 - 08:22 PM

Anyone know when the Lego Dimentions Doctor Who kit comes out? 

tumblr_lgdlriZfNi1qf8kb8o1_400.gif

#1610 Offline Iaredios Paerkenon

Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 10-April 07
  • 1,952 posts
  •  

Posted May 22 2015 - 06:22 PM

Thanks... that helps a bit. But there's still the fact that "Listen" is slated for a Hugo award, and I'm like the only one who's too incompetent to get it! From what I can gather, it's about facing the fear of things that aren't there... but knowing my luck, I'm probably wrong. Also, I have the nagging feeling that the barn scene may have carried unfortunate long-term implications.

I've seen most of the episodes from 10th Doctor forward. What's the plot for 'Listen'? I'm sure I've seen it, but let's find out.

Iaredios_178256.gifgb_civil_war_ara_banner_2.jpg

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project

Name Info      History     The English Language     The Turkey Neck      Arthur Curry     Ra's al-Ghul   

#1611 Offline moamahrimatoro

moamahrimatoro
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 13-December 14
  • 769 posts

Posted May 23 2015 - 12:17 PM

Sorry… why?

#1612 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,226 posts
  •  

Posted May 24 2015 - 05:18 AM

Sorry… why?

Well... his older self is next door; one little alteration can have a massive impact.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1613 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted May 25 2015 - 08:32 AM

He did leave shortly, though. I don't see that coming back (though it'd be lovely if it did).

#1614 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-November 09
  • 1,597 posts
  •  

Posted May 27 2015 - 05:17 AM

Eh, it's one of those things like how Clara was a timelord once but remembers none of it, and if she was the one who recommended the Doctor steal that TARDIS, why the heck did he listen to her unless he knew who she was? Furthermore, it seems to counteract the description of events in "The Doctor's Wife" which is my favourite episode, and you DO NOT mess with my favourite episode-

(Stops, takes deep breath, repeats "Wibbly wobbly, wibbly wobbly, timey wimey..." until calm)

There are things that are there for an episode's plot, and there are things that are there for an arc's plot. Pretty sure this was the former, and will be largely forgotten. Besides, the Doctor has crossed his own time stream plenty of times, with no ill effects other than amnesia. This time, the Doctor never even left the TARDIS, which is a dimension unto itself and doesn't seem to affect the external timestream (see: Journey to the Centre of the Tardis).

CHTrilogy- Just enjoy what you can, and if it helps, look at some episode recaps and reviews online- that's certainly helped my understanding a few times, and increased my enjoyment. Don't worry about how much you know- fandom is meant to be fun, and if the "Gotta watch 'em all" mentality starts to feel like a chore, it's probably not worth doing. If people you meet are still criticising you for not knowing what colour the Doctor's toothbrush is, then, well, I'm not going to say that they're "bad fans" or "not true Whovians" or anything like that, but I will say that they are probably horrible people, and that your time could be spent in more welcoming company. Fandom should never be a superiority contest.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

#1615 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted May 27 2015 - 06:13 PM

Exactly, try to enjoy it whatever way you can. If it brings you no joy, you're not obligated to carry on.

On a side note, I'm now curious about the color of the Doctor's toothbrush. I'm also curious as to whether he has one or not. This is good material for an episode.

#1616 Offline moamahrimatoro

moamahrimatoro
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 13-December 14
  • 769 posts

Posted May 28 2015 - 05:55 AM

Exactly, try to enjoy it whatever way you can. If it brings you no joy, you're not obligated to carry on.

On a side note, I'm now curious about the color of the Doctor's toothbrush. I'm also curious as to whether he has one or not. This is good material for an episode.

What's the plot?  :P

#1617 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted May 28 2015 - 06:53 AM

What's the plot?  :P

The Doctor's toothbrush is emitting strange frequencies that the TARDIS' scanner is picking up. The Doctor goes to investigate but then he questions whether or not he has a toothbrush for he doesn't recall having one but feels that he does. Thus begins an epic romp through Gallifrey to discover the truth about his toothbrush. Also this takes place in an alternate universe where Time Lords are made of CCBS. Hijinks ensue.

#1618 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,226 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 26 2015 - 06:13 AM

It used to. Until those who accused Moffat of sexism and everything walked into my life. I was naive enough to believe them and spread those evil rumours about. Then the Whovians I surrounded myself with accused me of enjoying watching the show in a state of prejudiced ire and indignation. Which is a strawman if I ever heard one! The worst part is that they were right... that was just for one episode though. I couldn't enjoy "Dark Water" because I knew that Missy would reveal herself as the Master at the end, but in hindsight, it was actually pretty good, in spite of how it upset quite a few people for other reasons. "Death in Heaven", though, blew the opportunity it had and effectively killed the show for me.

I tried though, I really did. Moffat's not a bad person, but I'm afraid to say I couldn't grant him free passage for everything he's written based on what he's done for the Doctor Who community - which apparently boils down to bringing in a ton of people whose first (and possibly only) experience with the show is the Matt Smith run, causing a ridiculous divide among viewers, and generally bringing nothing but hostility and bad times for everyone involved. It's no fun facing that, but it's how I see it. (But hey - he got an OBE for it!)

Edited by CHTrilogy, Jun 26 2015 - 06:23 AM.

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1619 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 11-March 11
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 26 2015 - 08:50 AM

I agree that Moffat's writing for female characters has problems, but I say the same about Tsugumi Ohba yet still love Death Note wholeheartedly. Like the 11th Doctor himself said, life consists of a pile of good things and a pile of bad things. The good things don't necessarily soften the bad things but vice versa the bad things don't spoil the good things. His clever moments don't excuse somewhat lazy writing for the women but vice versa that doesn't make the good episodes any less epic. No one should chastise you for enjoying this, even with the aforementioned flaw. I know me saying this doesn't necessarily help, but maybe trying out more friendly Doctor Who communities might help. I don't keep up with the Tumblr community due to all the vitriol. Gallifrey Base's users can be rather pessimistic in the comments, but in the polls the episodes constantly get 8-10/10. So many different users display so many different opinions that it's hard to be influenced by a single view. Good luck! :)

#1620 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-June 04
  • 3,226 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 26 2015 - 05:08 PM

Thank you for that. That's encouraging. ^_^

~ CHTrilogy

LOtrPw4.png

#1621 Offline Ayliffe

Ayliffe
  • Members
  • Toa

• 23-September 14
  • 102 posts

Posted Jun 27 2015 - 04:24 PM

http://www.doctorwho...tures-74417.htm

More Big Finish audio dramas with new who stuff. Huzzah! 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users