Doctor Who. Official!

To be fair, literally EVERY time the Master has come back from JNT-forwards (and probably even sooner, I can't remember how the explained away him being there in The Deadly Assassin), it's always been thanks to a handwave. It's practically tradition. Heck, the telemovie didn't even bother and that had to be explained away in the expanded universe. Granted, RTD's handwave was the most creative so far, but still a handwave.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Episodes 7 and 8 are going to be written by Peter Harness, and they make up a two-parter.

This is extremely disappointing news, IMO. Peter Harness is the writer behind 'Kill The Moon'. That says all you need to know about the quality of the episodes, and the BBC has shown poor judgement allowing him to write for DW again IMO.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I feel disgusting for being a Whovian again... I just don't understand this show anymore! Quite apart from the fact that I have 47 years of continuity to catch up on, I've shown on multiple occasions that I'm just not smart enough for it. In fact, I'm too stupid for it! And what is so strange is that I didn't have this problem before. I think those years reading Sinfest have caused my brain to degenerate and me to lose my comprehension of this show just like Frank Miller misplaced his understanding of Batman. I... even came up with an original character for the Whoniverse, but I don't even understand him as well as I should!

...I'm still gonna get the Lego sets though.

• Upvote 2

~ CHTrilogy

You don't need to catch up on all the backstory, though. You can enjoy Who however you want to. You don't need to understand everything about it (or even your OCs). I don't understand some things that happened in Neon Genesis Evangelion (even if it isn't that hard to get in retrospect) but I still love it and consider myself a fan.

I feel disgusting for being a Whovian again... I just don't understand this show anymore! Quite apart from the fact that I have 47 years of continuity to catch up on, I've shown on multiple occasions that I'm just not smart enough for it. In fact, I'm too stupid for it! And what is so strange is that I didn't have this problem before. I think those years reading Sinfest have caused my brain to degenerate and me to lose my comprehension of this show just like Frank Miller misplaced his understanding of Batman. I... even came up with an original character for the Whoniverse, but I don't even understand him as well as I should!

...I'm still gonna get the Lego sets though.

Gallifreyan things are beyond human understanding. :P

No one needs to know everything about a show to see it, I think part of the wonder of it, is that I don't understand half of what's going on, it's the only show nowadays that I'll actually get excited about, because it's the only show that surprises me, It's the only one where I don't understand what's going on, meaning that I can't see what's coming. I have a few OCs of my own, and to make them easier to understand, for myself, I made sure that my main one, also, has no idea what's going on. It's a wonderful show, a wonderful plot, a wonderfully built universe, and you shouldn't be disgusted just because you don't understand, or think yourself imbecilic, you don't have to watch every episode that's showed up over the past fifty-ish years.

And hear hear on that last bit.

Edited by D5 Petewa

Thanks... that helps a bit. But there's still the fact that "Listen" is slated for a Hugo award, and I'm like the only one who's too incompetent to get it! From what I can gather, it's about facing the fear of things that aren't there... but knowing my luck, I'm probably wrong. Also, I have the nagging feeling that the barn scene may have carried unfortunate long-term implications.

~ CHTrilogy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks... that helps a bit. But there's still the fact that "Listen" is slated for a Hugo award, and I'm like the only one who's too incompetent to get it! From what I can gather, it's about facing the fear of things that aren't there... but knowing my luck, I'm probably wrong. Also, I have the nagging feeling that the barn scene may have carried unfortunate long-term implications.

I've seen most of the episodes from 10th Doctor forward. What's the plot for 'Listen'? I'm sure I've seen it, but let's find out.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Sorry… why?

cringe

Sorry… why?

Well... his older self is next door; one little alteration can have a massive impact.

~ CHTrilogy

Eh, it's one of those things like how Clara was a timelord once but remembers none of it, and if she was the one who recommended the Doctor steal that TARDIS, why the heck did he listen to her unless he knew who she was? Furthermore, it seems to counteract the description of events in "The Doctor's Wife" which is my favourite episode, and you DO NOT mess with my favourite episode-

(Stops, takes deep breath, repeats "Wibbly wobbly, wibbly wobbly, timey wimey..." until calm)

There are things that are there for an episode's plot, and there are things that are there for an arc's plot. Pretty sure this was the former, and will be largely forgotten. Besides, the Doctor has crossed his own time stream plenty of times, with no ill effects other than amnesia. This time, the Doctor never even left the TARDIS, which is a dimension unto itself and doesn't seem to affect the external timestream (see: Journey to the Centre of the Tardis).

CHTrilogy- Just enjoy what you can, and if it helps, look at some episode recaps and reviews online- that's certainly helped my understanding a few times, and increased my enjoyment. Don't worry about how much you know- fandom is meant to be fun, and if the "Gotta watch 'em all" mentality starts to feel like a chore, it's probably not worth doing. If people you meet are still criticising you for not knowing what colour the Doctor's toothbrush is, then, well, I'm not going to say that they're "bad fans" or "not true Whovians" or anything like that, but I will say that they are probably horrible people, and that your time could be spent in more welcoming company. Fandom should never be a superiority contest.

• Upvote 2

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Exactly, try to enjoy it whatever way you can. If it brings you no joy, you're not obligated to carry on.

On a side note, I'm now curious about the color of the Doctor's toothbrush. I'm also curious as to whether he has one or not. This is good material for an episode.

What's the plot?  :P

cringe

Exactly, try to enjoy it whatever way you can. If it brings you no joy, you're not obligated to carry on.

On a side note, I'm now curious about the color of the Doctor's toothbrush. I'm also curious as to whether he has one or not. This is good material for an episode.

What's the plot?  :P

The Doctor's toothbrush is emitting strange frequencies that the TARDIS' scanner is picking up. The Doctor goes to investigate but then he questions whether or not he has a toothbrush for he doesn't recall having one but feels that he does. Thus begins an epic romp through Gallifrey to discover the truth about his toothbrush. Also this takes place in an alternate universe where Time Lords are made of CCBS. Hijinks ensue.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

It used to. Until those who accused Moffat of sexism and everything walked into my life. I was naive enough to believe them and spread those evil rumours about. Then the Whovians I surrounded myself with accused me of enjoying watching the show in a state of prejudiced ire and indignation. Which is a strawman if I ever heard one! The worst part is that they were right... that was just for one episode though. I couldn't enjoy "Dark Water" because I knew that Missy would reveal herself as the Master at the end, but in hindsight, it was actually pretty good, in spite of how it upset quite a few people for other reasons. "Death in Heaven", though, blew the opportunity it had and effectively killed the show for me.

I tried though, I really did. Moffat's not a bad person, but I'm afraid to say I couldn't grant him free passage for everything he's written based on what he's done for the Doctor Who community - which apparently boils down to bringing in a ton of people whose first (and possibly only) experience with the show is the Matt Smith run, causing a ridiculous divide among viewers, and generally bringing nothing but hostility and bad times for everyone involved. It's no fun facing that, but it's how I see it. (But hey - he got an OBE for it!)

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

I agree that Moffat's writing for female characters has problems, but I say the same about Tsugumi Ohba yet still love Death Note wholeheartedly. Like the 11th Doctor himself said, life consists of a pile of good things and a pile of bad things. The good things don't necessarily soften the bad things but vice versa the bad things don't spoil the good things. His clever moments don't excuse somewhat lazy writing for the women but vice versa that doesn't make the good episodes any less epic. No one should chastise you for enjoying this, even with the aforementioned flaw. I know me saying this doesn't necessarily help, but maybe trying out more friendly Doctor Who communities might help. I don't keep up with the Tumblr community due to all the vitriol. Gallifrey Base's users can be rather pessimistic in the comments, but in the polls the episodes constantly get 8-10/10. So many different users display so many different opinions that it's hard to be influenced by a single view. Good luck! :)

• 1 month later...

Oh, but that's only part of the reason why I gave up on this show. The other part being that everyone else made a fool out of me when I presented my opinions to them! I expected as much from them; they always want to be the correct one and everyone who voices their opinions are peasants and wrong...

So I said screw it. I don't even understand this show anymore, and I've learned to hate the revival over the last two years. (Yes, RTD is a guilty party, too!)

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

• 2 weeks later...

You want to know what their attitude towards my opinions is? One of them possibly helped to shed some light with: "I know someone on here who HATES Doctor Who so much that he still buys the boxsets. But refuses to watch them. That'll teach 'em!"

Allow me to translate thusly: "Haters gonna hate. And then haters are going to buy the boxsets and keep complaining." Which itself becomes "We don't care if you hate it, you will buy whatever junk the BBC puts out there anyways."

It seems to me that the show's fans could never respect the show's fans, which also means me due to my disagreements with them. I haven't enjoyed a single moment of Who since Dark Water and they accuse me of watching the whole thing out of prejudiced ire. I HATE THIS FANBASE, I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I -

Sorry about that, but this whole thing just angers me to my core every time I even think about it.

~ CHTrilogy

I think when any fandom grows  big enough, there will be things like gatekeeping, genwunners, newbie-shaming, people trying to assert their intellectual superiority using obscure trivia, and just general nastiness. But there is also a lot of fun to be had if you choose the right people to associate with. I tend to lurk in the Who fandom mostly, so it's easier to enjoy the good bits and dismiss the bad bits when you're not actively involved.

I believe that if something about the show troubles you, it's perfectly okay to say so. I rewatched the Crimson Horror last night and the Doctor non-consensually snogging Jenny still grosses me out. But it's still okay to like the show otherwise if that's the way you feel. Hey, some people get genuine enjoyment out of watching shows they consider terrible, and then sharing their criticism/snarky comments with others. Whatever floats your boat, as long as you don't resort to belittling other people's opinions. Generally speaking, we all want the shows that we like to be the best that they can be, and the shows wouldn't ever get better if nobody called out the problems in them. 

And, yeah, sometimes you do have to just move on. Bionicle often failed to live up to what I thought its potential was, and I suspect it never really will. When you find yourself saying "ur doin it rong" more often than talking about things you enjoy (or if you're more of a riffer, if snarking/complaining ceases to be any fun), it might mean that it's just not for you. Add that to the fact that there's just so much more out there (Steven Universe, I've found, ticks nearly every box on my "Things That Would Make Bionicle Better" wishlist) and you can see that you don't have to remain in a fandom once it or its show fails to entertain you. There's also nothing wrong with being a casual fan who watches the odd episode to see how the show's doing, without investing too much time, energy or money in it. Anyone who tells you there's only one "right" way to enjoy a show is not worth talking to.

it's here...

At 45 seconds in I see the special weapons Dalek... will he be used better? =D

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

• 1 month later...

Today's episode

Gave me, I believe, a rough idea of how Davros was injured exactly now.

But I have no idea how that will work out  with stuff happening/unhappening though.

Edited by Rahkshi Guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Wow, that was an amazing episode!

I got incredibly giddy when the kid revealed he was Davros, also when Missy showed up. The hand mines were a really cool concept, Gomez was the perfect mix of Delgado, Ainley and Simm, Capaldi and Coleman top notch as usual and the shots of Skaro were absolutely impressive. Lovely to see Genesis Daleks, too! Very promising opening, all I can hope for is The Witch's Familiar continues the greatness that The Magician's Apprentice planted.

Forced Invited my parents to watch Genesis so they can get some context on who Davros is and what was going on in the Kaled-Thal Civil War.

I wasn't even going to mention this, but I feel that I have to. You know how bisexuals are reduced to rejection and loneliness? It's Moffat's fault. He said that bi people don't need representation on TV because they are "having too much fun" and don't have time for TV. Implying they fool around too much for it.

Awesome attitude. JERK!

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

I doubt lack of representation of bi people (which, as a bisexual male, does annoy me) is down to a single man. I don't know where or when he said this (or if he even did), but that makes no sense considering that he has stated that River is bi. Kinda goes against what you claim he said.

Moffat has flaws but he's hardly the Antichrist. That's obviously George Lucas!

I kid, of course. I <3 George Lucas.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

I know; I actually don't look for these flaws, but... that hurt me. It did. And the saddest part is that people thought it was just a harmless jibe, and one even called me an idiot over it! They must've been trying hard to bring out the worst in me, and they succeeded across the board.

~ CHTrilogy

Yeah, definitely understand where you're coming from there. Recently, I've been dealing with the possibility that I might be asexual... and you know what Moffat thinks about asexuals?

They're "boring," apparently.

An asexual character holds very little potential for a writer, according to His Royal Moffliness, because they are incapable of having romantic relationships!

Because asexual means exactly the same thing as aromantic!

And because they don't have those feelings, they must be happy all the time! 

AND THAT'S TERRIBLE!

Because romantic and sexual relations are the only things that can cause any stress or drama in somebody's life!

No normal human could relate to a character like that!

unhLvcF.gif

(I totally fantasize about the above gif happening when Moffat makes one of his blunders at a press conference)

But, y'know, as bad as some of the rubbish that comes out of his mouth is... he did not invent these misconceptions. He's parroting rubbish he's picked up from elsewhere. And he, like many men in his position, is unaware of his privilege and status, and any possible responsibility to do right by minorities. It's all part of a bigger system. He does try for representation- DW is easily one of the most progressive "kids' shows" on TV, and generally, I'll take slightly flawed representation over none at all. Captain Jack is (probably) better than no bisexuals at all. Sherlock (maybe?) is better than no asexuals. Vastra and Jenny are better than no same-sex couples. And yeah, he's not quite up to the Davies era on that front, but he's getting better. It's important to call out his rubbish when he screws up big time, and you are definitely entitled to be Absolutely Bloody Furious about those moments, but assuming he's responsible for all that is wrong with the world is a bit much.

In my opinion the premier come off as Moffat had too many ideas and no one tried to remove anything. We had about five separate story lines that had little impact on the story. I'm willing to bet that each plot line could've had it's own episode dedicated to it. There were interesting ideas but were overshadowed by how bloated the plot was. We quite a bit of time with some snake guy who only gets interesting about the time before he leaves the episode. Missi was really annoying and I just wish she had a different character other than "lul im craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy look at meeee!!11 XDDDDDD." The whole Davros thing takes a back seat to the other pointless filler and despite all that time, they still had to make it a two parter. I liked the Davros story line, I liked the whole "these planes could be used as weapons" bit, I liked I the confession dial will thing, but all in all this episode was just a mess. I really hope the rest of the series isn't like this, but that will probably be the case.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb