Toy Fair 2012: Star Wars, Cars, and Spongebob

Those planet sets are interesting. Is this the first time we've had models of three different scales packaged in the same set? I can't think of another offhand ...Battle packs are nothing special, especially considering that they're pretty overpriced. Not as bad as the Lord of the Rings sets, though, so I can deduce that the licensing fees for Tolkien's works are more expensive than for Lucasfilm.The Geonosian Cannon looks interesting, but those two sets are still way too pricey, as does the Desert Skiff. The Boba Fett and Sarlacc minifigs (if you could call the latter a minifig) look sweet, though. The detail on the former is just incredible.It's interesting to see the Jedi Starfighter in dark green, but the minifigures are again the highlight. Thirty bucks is still pretty steep.The Mandalorian fighter looks kind of strange, but it's the first set so far that just might be worth its price tag. As far as the Republic Striker goes, I'm just surprised they haven't made a double-bladed lightsaber hilt mold yet.The TIE Fighter and X-Wings are absolutely gorgeous. Gungan sub looks a little flat, but the Amidala fig is beautiful. The Sith Fury is probably the best set in this wave - but the angles on it make it look like a half-eaten sandwich. (Cannot unsee.)Getting well over a thousand pieces is pretty good, so I'd say that the Malevolence is worth it. As an added bonus, it's probably my second-favorite. My only peeve is that the scale is off, but that's to be expected from a set this size.Jabba's Palace is incredibly overpriced, though the trend of great minifigs in the wave continues with Jabba and his cronies. LEGO looks like they've turned the detail up to eleven.(Does anyone really care about Cars and SpongeBob?)

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I sensed a lot of indifference in this coverage. Jabba's palace is obviously going to be expensive, considering that it's a licensed set with a large number of new, large, and high-detail parts. And the Spongebob sets, while maybe not up your alley, look great, particularly the Flying Dutchman set which deserves special mention for not being a rehash of an older set. Not to mention that it's wonderfully cartoony, and even improves on the classic "treasure hidden in a rock" function of many sets with some beautiful SNOT-work. I do commend you for pointing out the awesomeness of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter, though. Both of these sets put the older releases of these ships to shame.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I did expect more from the Malevolence set, and it was the one I was looking forward to seeing the most. The TOR minifigs look absolutely excellent, on the other hand, though I am not the keenest on the sets with which they are packaged. Well, the Sith Interceptor is the exception.The set I am really looking forward to seeing, however, is the announced exclusive/possible UCS (fingers crossed) 10227 B-Wing.

I don't know why people are surprised that Cars and Spongebob are still selling. They're not the best LEGO licenses, but it has to be remembered that the success of a licensed theme depends not just on the quality of the sets but on how well the movie or TV show moves merchandise in general. Themes like Pirates of the Caribbean only tend to exist when a movie is in theaters or soon to be in theaters, because that's when you see merchandise for those movies dominating store shelves. The sheer amount of popular exposure helps to drive sales.Spongebob Squarepants, Star Wars, and Cars, on the other hand, are perennial icons of the toy store shelf. Even without a movie in theaters, Cars sells more merchandise than any other Pixar intellectual property. Star Wars always has some form of exposure, whether it's in the form of licensed video games, TV shows, or actual movies, but it was able to push merchandise for over a decade between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace with no trouble at all. Spongebob Squarepants has the same sort of impact. Even though of course it's helped by the fact that the TV show is still running, there's widespread cultural exposure to the character even among people who don't regularly watch the show.So these themes, naturally, are the ones that survive most strongly, even when equally-entertaining themes like Indiana Jones and Harry Potter fall by the wayside. I have no doubt in my mind that Pirates of the Caribbean will come back as soon as another film is imminent. But until then, it doesn't have the staying power of these other themes.

Lego Exec: Hey, what's something in the Star Wars universe that we haven't made a bazillion versions of?Lead Designer: PLANETS!!!Lego Exec: Alright, make a Lego set for Star Wars' planets!But honestly, I think the planets look quite neat. And if you get them all, then you could set up a campaign map and have an epic real life version of Empire at War's turn-based mode. Sweet.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I simply must have the planets and the SWTOR sets.Especially Satele Shan.I wonder if the Striker's wings fold out, like in the game...

Edited by Valenti

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Oh,my,i miss the OLD Spongebob sets! What has happened now!In all seriousness,the SW sets are awesome,i especially love Jabba's palace,but the lack of a Rancor makes me http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gifAll-in-all,the SW sets will be all that i'm getting.-CDP

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

I wonder if the Striker's wings fold out, like in the game...

I haven't played the game (so I can't vouch for accuracy), but I saw a video demonstrating that the do indeed wings fold out.
Very nice. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Not really fond of the new Gungan Sub, especially with those gaps running perpendicular to the edge. Definitely prefer the older model to that one.Other than that, things look pretty nice. Love those mini sets (even if the AT-AT is a rehash of the original), and that Tie-Fighter looks nice as well.

BZPRPG

the writer of this seems to barely know anything about the star wars clone wars (tv series) stuff. the mandalorian starfighter looks like a good buy.I can't wait for these new sets, and even though I've seen them before, I'm still so excited about the commando droid piece.

Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Lol, the writer of this seems to barely know anything about the star wars stuff. the mandalorian starfighter looks like a good buy.I can't wait for these new sets, and even though I've seen them before, I'm still so excited about the commando droid piece.

I know plenty about Star Wars, just not that silly new TV show. It's not something I ever really got into.

Wow. The Star Wars sets get better every year. I like the TOR sets, and the Death Watch set, and I'm glad to see that Lego is exploring this part of the Star Wars universe. Only problem is that they're getting a bit pricey.And B6, I would recommend watching the show, especially seasons 2-4. It is much better than the "Clone Wars" movie that came out in '08 (and is dark and gritty if that's your type of thing). :P

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

Wow. The Star Wars sets get better every year. I like the TOR sets, and the Death Watch set, and I'm glad to see that Lego is exploring this part of the Star Wars universe.Only problem is that they're getting a bit pricey.And B6, I would recommend watching the show, especially seasons 2-4. It is much better than the "Clone Wars" movie that came out in '08 (and is dark and gritty if that's your type of thing). :P

yeah, the quality has really improved over the past few seasons, and I would recommend watching it to people who like star wars.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Okay, the minifigs are beautiful this wave. Several of the sets are also great, I especially like the Sith Interceptor.I am not going to comment on the Cars/Spongebob sets because I have nothing against them except for the fact that I despise both Cars and Spongebob.

That little X-Wing set... it is EXACTLY the same as the 30051 polybag X-Wing set. I just picked one up from a Five Below store for $3.99. Neat little thing, but I thought they were different models.

7. Putting all five Piraka in one tank seems like a dangerous idea. What if they start killing each other?

7) Who cares? They're creeps anyway.

-GregF

• 3 weeks later...

The Sith Fury looks like the best one this wave ,close behind is that Boba minifig. I just hope that Boba's head isn't as ugly as those Mandalorians' <_< .PS. Why is Commander Gree pictured in orange on the box?

But if anyone were present who could hear the thoughts of the great spirit as they echo within the mask, they would hear one thing repeated over and over again: "I will return."

I LOST THE GAME

AND NOW YOU DID.

The Sith Fury looks like the best one this wave ,close behind is that Boba minifig. I just hope that Boba's head isn't as ugly as those Mandalorians' <_< .PS. Why is Commander Gree pictured in orange on the box?

Prototypes,my friend. prototypes.-CDP

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!