Well, I rather unexpectedly found my Roodaka to be completed after ... years of tinkering. Well, its only been a year (or two) since I posted this version of her, but that itself was a work since I got the set ... in 2005. Anywhoo, considering new designs and replacing original parts, I'd say the only thing left of the original set is her jaw. Enjoy!

img_6714.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6657.jpg img_6654.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_6675.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6680.jpg img_6677.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_6682.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6692.jpg img_6688.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_6687.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6712.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6713.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6668.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6718.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6716.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_6724.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6722.jpg img_6719.jpg_thumb.jpg

r2.jpg_thumb.jpg img_6665.jpg img_6706.jpg_thumb.jpg

So, here's the

gallery when public. So, like her or hate her? Or her modifications? Please share your constructive criticism, comments, and questions.

a_peace.png

• Upvote 2

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

Absolutely incredible. I love MOCs like this, where the build is very 'tight' and proportions very humanoid. I assume you intended her to look like her movie counterpart, because of the blue eyes - although blue + black is a very nice colour scheme regardless, and it helps to prevent those blue friction pins from looking out of place.Love the chain-hair too, but would it look better in silver? Only that silver +o+ bar on her head looks kind of out of place.

Edited by Kumata

As usual, an impressive creation. I'm still not a fan of using the part modifications, but at least your style makes it work. The chain hair gives the impression of dreadlocks or something of the sort, which makes the entire set movie-like. Very nice.The build, while incorporating the Rahkshi heads, looks more feminine than her set form - heck, the entire MOC contains more femininity than the set did.I agree with Kumata on the silver +o+ part on the head. That would look better in black. The lower arms look completed from the back but have an unfinished, Technic-y look from the front. Not sure you really want that.The Technic parts sticking up out of her hips interrupt the flow of the MOC there, but that's minor, and I'm not quite sure what could be done about them anyway ...

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Now this is a work of art! I must ask, what did you use for the eyes? The chains work well, yet it's not how I'd imagine the headdress to look like but it's fine, the torso is virtually flawless, from the Rahkshi heads with the heartlight, to the excellent tubing.The Rhotuka launcher is something I would not have thought of, and the catcher claw is excellent.The legs I thought, may be a little bulky, but they are well done.You have done well.

Most impressive. She looks very movie-accurate.The chains on the head work very well, like dreadlocks. They are nicely attached.The eyes work perfectly, I didn't notice them at first. Great work there.This is one of very few MOCs I've seen where blue pins look good. The Rahkshi heads are beautiful, I like the tubes on the body a lot, too.Both the upper and lower arms are perfectly built. You managed to get proportions ideal. The hands and staff are good.So are the legs. Great use of pieces. The feet could be a bit better, but they aren't bad as it is.The general shape is the best I have ever seen on a female MOC. She looks tough and powerfull.And although I like her a lot as a MOC (10/10 definately), I'd really not want to actually meet her in person.

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

Wow, so many responses, so quickly!@Kumata: unfortunately that silver 3 x 1 half-thickness lift arm problem is difficult to resolve. I tried black, and it interferred with the look. I have a very important rule about consistency; always use the same colors of the same pieces in the same MOC. Technic allows some wiggle-room, but in the head it is painfully obvious there are three +o+ pieces, and if one black it looks ... more off than with silver.Also the silver is necessary for color distribution, and the piece is necessary for height. Maybe the out-of-place look is due to the abruptness, and if so I could simply sculpt a more flowing piece that fits the design. Hmmm ...And neat idea about silver hair, but the limitations on quantity and the immense prices involved keep me from ding it. Light bluish-grey may work, but would be pretty obvious. @Sumiki: do you mean the blue half plus rods half pins? Those would be easy to replace with some shortened axles with end stops ... however, I feel as much blue I can get with those evenly distributed makes her color scheme more properly layered. It would be difficult to replace all of those with black or grey ones ...The arms - yes, now I see it. It does look a bit unfinished, and whereas elsewhere Technic provides structure covered by armor, this makes up the armor. Not good. There is a bit of axle sticking out, though, and maybe I can sculpt a very flat piece of armor with a lift arm part underneath to attach it. Maybe it can look like the hydruka piece ... @{Con Quy}: Thank you! The eyes *sigh* were very, very meticulously cut, sanded, and polished from those nice air-bubble-less 3 length trans-medium blue bars (light saber blades, but not the regular length). I must have gone though eight bars and so many pairs of eyes before I got identical ones that fit snugly (not to mention I lost some in the process). They really just stay there by themselves, but I also but a shortened black clip to get them at the same spot on either side.I never interpreted that as a headdress, but rather as part of her anatomy (why it would be so, I cannot speculate). At first I had used chains plus tubes to make the braids and a decorated, cut piece of cloth to be very movie-accurate, but then I found out about black chains and did all that you see. They just evolved into hair-like appendages, and not meant to be a headdress - if I had know that was what it was supposed to be, I'd have kept it true to the movie.To all and everyone else, thank you!a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

@Chaos Dralcax: cheating only if the goal was to build without non-Lego elements (referring to sculpture) or any alterations to existing elements. Yet plastic, glue, paint and epoxy putty (yet to be seen in upcoming MOCs) are each a key medium in artistic endeavors. From a strict MOCist point of view, maybe Lego's point of view, such ventures are incongruous with the goals of building with Lego. However, from an artistic point of view, Lego elements are merely a medium. They are collectively like clay , tiles for mosaics, epoxy putty, or any other 3D medium - people have taken a media and built with them, refined them, stuck parts together, painted them, in an attempt to materialize their vision. I say Lego is the epitome of what an artistic medium should be - versatile, varied, ordered and leading to unlimited possibilities. Why not use Lego like any other medium? @Toa Genris: oh, just you wait. I've redone Toa Ignika, and if not for an incident involving his arm and my dog's mouth, he would have been posted already. So he's close to Mata Nui's Bara Magna version - although I have been thinking of making a proper version of him too, but it would require making a mold of the Ignika (to fill, in with milliput and reshape from there), and a whole new design. Teridax ... boy, where to start. I've done so many incarnations of him, but now I think I have found a good chest design. And I'm in the process of sculpting the krahkaan. So its going to be a long time before he is done too. Yet my trans-dimensional Vezon, Kapura, and all the Nuva are nearing completion. Soonest will be Kapura ...a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Honestly I don't like piece modifications they take away the challenge of the build also my advice is that if you are going to make another Roodaka then add the red and black shard that is in her chest if you want to make Roodaka in her movie style.

Edited by TOA PIRAKA HAKANN 2.0

Honestly I don't like piece modifications they take away the challenge of the build also my advice is that if you are going to make another Roodaka then add the red and black shard that is in her chest if you want to make Roodaka in her movie style.

Yeah, but that shard was broken from the Toa's elemental powers.Also he probably would have to make a hole in the Takadox armor shaped like the shard, and make a shard out of presumably a red lightsaber blade, it would be surely most difficult. Edited by {Con Quy}

Yeah, but that shard was broken from the Toa's elemental powers.Also he probably would have to make a hole in the Takadox armor shaped like the shard, and make a shard out of presumably a red lightsaber blade, it would be surely most difficult.
Not as difficult as one might think ... great ideas!a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Wow. Nice job man, especially on the torso. A very good job overall. The way you made the eyes was magnificent, and the way you kept the modded parts from being too obvious is just.... WOW. Unfortunately, though, I think the feet are a little too blocky and masculine. I would have preferred her original "high-heeled with the two toe claws" look. And did you cut those little Mistika jet engine/turbine pieces on the upper arms? Also, I must ask you, what do you use to cut your parts? I use a wire cutter and it doesn't work out well...

Edited by Biohazard12

ATTENTION!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I'm making PBZPs now, so please PM me with details! You know you want one!

completed: 1

in progress: 0

pending: 1

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The alternating black/silver liftarms get a bit jarring after a while (kinda polka-dotish) but the construction is solid and those dreadlocks are fantastic. The feet seem a bit clubbed, but that's really the only thing I'm not a fan of. I feel like this is something we're going to see on the front page at some point.

@ Biohazard12: Yeah, unfortunately what I tried to do was get her feet to look more normal, with less of an outrageous height, but the front turned out a little thick (same width as the original though). I use an exacto knife for most cuts, however, for axles and pins I use a pair of cat claw clippers. I also have a set of microsaws for jobs that need a strait but not necessarily clean cut. A wire cutter gives you more leverage than a pair of scissors, but the compression and distortion involved is the same or possibly worse. Of course, it depends on what you are cutting. For example, the Mistika jets are soft and can be cut smoothly and easily with an exacto knife. But her hand pieces (the black socket parts) are very dense and unyielding, and that stub at the end has to be cut and then drilled at (with a dremel tool) and chipped away with an exacto knife then sanded with a mental file. @Dorek: that would be nice ... Thanks to you both! a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Aw so cool! Her colors really stand out for me. That light trans-blue has always looked technological to me, and there is no better place for high-tech than on a Vortixx. She is very well proportioned, and her body is solid but lean. The pelvis especially is great, the angled connectors and the throwbot foot work really well. The hair as well looks feminine while being evil. I have a minor gripe about the legs, because they look kind of blocky. I know that bionicles are robots and all, but the lower legs seem to need a bit more tapering. However it's a your moc, and it looks great, so excellent job.

Look at me still talking when there's science to do!

@Ranubis: tapered up, or down? I tend to go with bell-bottom style legs, so there is tapering up on the bottom parts. The thighs very slightly taper down to the knees too. It would be great to have human-like legs, but they would be very thin and mostly Technic ... @Radiaka: the head, after many years of evolution, ended up being a setup of 1 x 2 system plates with handles (as those on the hands) with chains attached both on the studs and via clips. The ones right next to the eye were attached via a blue bar, much like the original set's hook thingies were. I had already installed the blue eyes, and made the bar blue. Yet this left a stunning blue that glowed under the right light in one pair of chains, but not the two rows after them (inserting blue bar ends did not look the same, now glow). So I drilled holes through the system and Technic construction to insert blue bars all the way through. I sanded and polished the ends to make them all the same length and to match the sheen of her eyes and heart light. Voila, glowey eyes and head. Chains are just clipped, and the clips used are just robot claws. Eye description somewhere else in this topic ... Thanks everybody!a_peace.png

Edited by Fsnorglepuff

Toa Gali Nuva

I really think you outdid yourself on the design here. While yes her body parts are bulky in places, I think that actually lends itself to the overall look. I mean, Roodaka was always described as being incredibly strong and agile, and picturing that on a figure with skimpy limbs prancing around on high heels is almost laughable.That being said, though, I think this would be better fit as a different Vortixx other than Roodaka. I don't know, in my revamps of her in the past, I've always represented her to be more... jagged? Light armor like here, but sharper edges and chunkier shape. I always thought that look fit her character better, though this is all more personal opinion than anything else.Despite my hang ups on the representation, I think you did an excellent job here between the armor, the design, the hair, and especially the weapons. I give it an 8/10.

VOTE BAHRAG!

Tahu: "Who exactly are you?"

Preston: "I'm Preston Stormer. I'm the leader of a specialized robot force tasked with defending the universe. I came because I received a distress call from here."

Tahu: "That's all well and good, but we don't need some robot to take care of us!"

Mata Nui: "..."

My Current MOCs: -Kervahnka-, -Gatling Gun-, -Jetbug 2.0-

Credit to ~ProtoSmith~ for the avatar.

Waaaait...HOLD ON! I've seen this before! :sigh: I was randomly browsing BrickShelf and then I saw this folder on the "Recently Added" bar reading "RoodakaHead." When I saw all the system chains hanging down I said to myself "This I have GOTTA see!" So I did. And looked through every single picture. I was blown away. As for this:

...The eyes *sigh* were very, very meticulously cut, sanded, and polished from those nice air-bubble-less 3 length trans-medium blue bars (light saber blades, but not the regular length). I must have gone though eight bars and so many pairs of eyes before I got identical ones that fit snugly (not to mention I lost some in the process). They really just stay there by themselves, but I also but a shortened black clip to get them at the same spot on either side....

...this is a true testament to dedication paying off. This screams volumes for the effort you put into it and it is clear as day in the finished MOC. At first, I felt the fingers where a little too blocky, but then I decided that a classic sort of Roodaka pose would involve clenched fists and the macro-hands you made make fists perfectly. In the end, that had been the only thing that came to mind as a potential complaint, and putting that aside, I decided this was my latest favorite MOC/modification. :winner: 10/10. Edited by Maganar

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

whoa this is a fantastic moc, by far the best i've seen from you. Without a doubt this has to be the best vortixx moc I've seen. 9.9/10 dude! My one qualm is the feet look a bit fat from the front

Edited by Ids5621

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

holy flying makuta fish. that is a great version of roodaka. she has always been one of my favorite bionicle villains. i think you captured her movie version very well and i like how you made her hair since the official model did not do a very good version of her hair.In all i give her and you the creator a 9/10.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

@nuhvok campaign manager: yes, I also found it a bit off to have her fingers so rounded. i had always planned to make her fingers sharp, like in the movie. But at the time, her feet were made and pointed fingers were in complete and awful contrast with them. However, now that the feet could use some pointiness, the hands can be altered to match. Thanks to all, especially Maganar!a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Usually, I am too lazy to post in BBC topics, but I simply had to reply to this one. I have not seen such a remarkable MOC in quite a while. You perfectly managed to capture not only the looks of the movie Roodaka, but also the character in my opinion. I am particularly fond of the torso with its round shapes and the magnificient tubing, giving this version of Roodaka a suitable, more female look. I also like the head a lot, using black System chain pieces as hairs was definitely a great idea and the silver pieces are only a minor nuisance. The lower arms may be a tad too thick, but that's something I can live with. I was initially also skeptical about the feet, as the movie version had high-heeled feet which really contribute to the "femme fatale"-look, but then I thought: Hey, the feet look good, so what are you complaining about?All in all, I think you did an outstanding work. Congratulations. :)~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

@Artem K and Gata: the feet do not seem to be receiving much love ... they are actually high-heels, but more practical. They are a bit chunky, yes, but her set version heels were almost as tall has her shins. Though if I modify the front portion to be less massive and blunt, I think they will be more feminine. The under structure is just as thin as her originals, in fact the whole thing is the same width (4 studs long) but it is without the height.Thanks for the thoughts, i will certainty attempt a remedy. And thank you for the compliments :)a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Jinklemeister. Yep, the wrist device is a "Rhotuka Launcher" even though it launches nothing. I wanted to make it look how it would in FoF, and maybe she had a wrist-mounted one in the movie too (I can't remember, I just remember her scepter). Unfortunately for it to launch anything the fold-back capability would be lost ...a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Actually, if I remember correctly, she just shot shadow bolts out of her weapon in the movie, so it's not like her Rhotuka ever came into major play. Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this MOC. I think you did an awesome job with the parts modifications and they worked out so well in the final product. I myself have no real complaints other than the feet look a bit chunky to me.I really, really hope you do more of these character interpretations; your other ones have been equally impressive.

plop

OOC:This is an interesting rebuild. It does look more realistic than the original. Nice job!Sorry about the OOC. I'm used to posting in the Dino Attack: At War's End RPG.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

=O I want one of those! Still, I give this a Ten-outta-ten. This is some of the best MOCing I've seen in awhile, and trust me, I see a lot of good MOCs!Yo yo yo, this post is all just generic stuffs so we consider it SPAM-a-lamma-ding-dong 'round these parts. I ain't mad at you are anything, but do try to add actual content to yo' posts from no on, kay? Yeeeeeeeeaaaaah -Smeag

Edited by McSmeag

That... that... is beautiful...DO WANTAnyway, I think I might have an idea for the jaw... will post/PM if you like.How did you get the blue in the hair/chain connectors?--untitled.png

Edited by Captain Viridian

banner.jpg

Thanks all. To Captain Viridian: After the Technic and system pieces were set, I glued the connection points (except the hair parts) and used a dremel tool to drill/melt a hole through the last two points. The very last already had a rod hole though the center, so it was just the studs that needed drilling. The middle hole was made though studs and an axle (and part of a perpendicular connector). Afterwards, blue rods were cut, sanded, and polished for each of the three holes (the first, by the way, already existing even in the original head design). And voila, light could refract though said holes!Please do share your idea for the jaw!a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva