Interview With a Game Dev

BZPower has the chance to interview Mike Hawkyard, founder of <a href="http://www.4t2.co.uk/" target="offsite">4T2</a> and one of the people behind the recent <a href="http://herofactory.lego.com/en-us/games/breakout/Default.aspx" target="offsite">Hero Factory Breakout game</a>, on an upcoming episode of the BZPowercast. What would you like to hear about the game and the development process? Post your questions in the Talkback or send them to me in a PM.

View the full article

Question: What was the game programmed in?

Well, it does use the Unity Web Player, so I assume that it would be coded in something pertaining to that engine.As for me, my questions are as follows (I understand that not a lot of them will be asked because of time restraints, but they are things that I've found interesting and may be used as a last resort if you need more questions):
  • [*]Your company's portfolio seems to include a lot of games made for a younger demographic. What is something that really makes a difference when making a game for that age group? What made you want to appeal to that demographic?[*]How many people were initially there when you started your company? What was the hardest thing about starting the company?[*]You have worked on several other games for the LEGO Group before, including the BIONICLE games. However, Hero Factory: Breakout is the first LEGO constraction setline to have a fully 3D third person shooter. Was it your idea to move on into a more "complicated" game route, or did LEGO push for it? Would you be interested on continuing in the 3D route, in both future LEGO games and other games in general?[*]If a game has a glitch/crashing bug/etc., how do you get a "report" from the players in order to fix it? How soon do you get around to starting to test and fix it, and how often do you have to do so?[*]What do you look for in people that you hire? What are some personality traits that you consider invaluable in an employee?[*]How closely do you work with another company when it comes to making a licensed game? If money and time were not a concern, would you like to try and create your own creative property?

In the HF Breakout game, there is an area in the level Sigma Sigma Satelite that cannot normally be accessed by upgrading armor or weapons of any kind. This area is behind a boot upgrade of seven in said level; you go up a jump which is unlocked by level seven boots, and there is an area with an identification panel. Do you know of the way past said panel which guards a door into some area beyond?

Question: If I were to major in game design, what would be the field of study that I should look for? How long would it take to get a bachelor's or a master's degree?

Edited by Tylerax Toa of Awesome

Have free time and wanna read a comedy? Why not read mine called Those Crazy Sets! or BarrakiLeader735's called Ask the Glatorian!

R.I.P Grandpa. You will be missed.

bionicle_sig2.png

• [*]Is there anything you had wanted to add to the Breakout game but couldn't?[*]How much input did The LEGO Group have in designing the locations, and how much did you have to make up yourselves?[*]Did designing the Breakout game present you with any unique challenges?

I'll see if I can think of more, but those three were the ones that sprung to mind.

4T2 seems like a pretty cool company. It's great BZPower is able to get an interview with one of its founders.Here is my question:How is working with The LEGO Group different from working with other clients?-Fantasia

Edited by The Swedish Chef

I have quite a few questions:

• [*]Are you a Unity-only shop, or do you use other tools? If the latter, what other tools do you use?[*]How long did it take you to develop Breakout?[*]How long have you been programming?[*]If LEGO gave you the chance, would you make a Bionicle game?

Maybe I'll think of some more later - who knows ^_^

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I have quite a few questions:

• [*]Are you a Unity-only shop, or do you use other tools? If the latter, what other tools do you use?[*]How long did it take you to develop Breakout?[*]How long have you been programming?[*]If LEGO gave you the chance, would you make a Bionicle game?

Maybe I'll think of some more later - who knows ^_^

If you had checked 4T2´s website, you would know that this and the LEGO Friends Dress Up game are the first by 4T2 to be made with Unity and that they have made countless BIONICLE and LEGO Flash games in the past, including the Command the Mahri, Battle for Power, Mistika and Agori Defender games. :P~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^