Neon Genesis Evangelion

SolitaryHyena

Has anyone watched the anime, or saw the movie(s)? Personally, its like my second favorite anime of all time so far. Despite its extreme content such as gore, suggestive scenes, swearing(including F-bombs in the End of Evangelion), it's such an awsome series. My favorite charecter, well im not sure, Shinji would be my least favorite out of all the children. I would say Mari is my fav, cuz she's just so awsome, and smart by using all her anger and mental thoughts as her advantage, like when she fought in Eva 02 in Evangelion 2.22, she used "Beast Mode" which was pretty much just going beserk, by that she helped Rei defeat the angel(i forgot which one). What do you think of the series, and who is your favorite charecter, bad or good?

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

Eva is awesome. I'm very excited for Evangelion 3.0: You Can (not) Redo to come out in Japan this summer, as it will hopefully come out in other regions fairly soon after.Anyways, Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project is the single most hilarious thing on this planet (For those of you that don't know, it's a spinoff manga based on the alternate reality in the last episode). After volume 3... I lost it. I was dying of laughter on nearly every single page. I'm hopefully getting the next two volumes soon for my birthday.

ME too, im dying for evangelion 3.33. This might be one of the anime movies i might just actually watch subbed because i REALLY don't want to wait for a dub for like months...I kinda read Shinji Ikari raising project, but i read the first chapter on angelic days. pretty good stuff i guess.

Edited by Kv195

Oh, hello thread! Don't mind if I post here!My friend who's insane for such an anime got me into this, and it's probably one of my favorite animes now.Rei is certainly my favorite Child, just because of many strange reasons.I really gotta get the Rebuild movies, I've got a less-than-Perfect box-set here on my desk, probably won't bother getting the Platinum collection, and the Unit 01 and Zeruel (Zeruel's the angel the OP's talking about) fight in Rebuild made me INSTANTLY want to buy them, but I hadn't the cash to get them though.

Edited by Valyou

Please enjoy a series of on signals and off signals sent from a far off computer to yours, forming short messages that may disturb and amuse!

Rebuild puts the amazing original series TO SHAME!!! The animation is much better, plus it has Mari, Unit-02's Beast Mode, and Eyepatch Asuka WITH A GIANT SWORD!!! I own 1.11 and 2.22 on DVD, might get 1.01 soon because a store in town has tons of copies dirt cheap, and I'm also planning on getting the Blu-Ray versions of the films. Of course, 4.0 will be the deciding factor in the overall quality of Rebuild, as it will be a new ending- and Eva has never really had a great ending...Also, since when is anything Eva-related not bizarre? :P

Edited by Terminus24

Eva has never had a great ending? End of Evangelion was incredible, so I beg to differ.I'm very much enjoying the rebuild series, although it certainly misses a lot of what made the original series great in the character development area, it has beautiful animation, and fantastic fight scenes. I'm not a huge Mari fan though, since so far, she has no real purpose.

I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

Something on your mind, Dear?

Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!

I thought it was a pretty straight forward ending. I view Evangelion like I do Inception. They're both pretty easy to follow if you pay attention.

I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

Something on your mind, Dear?

Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!

I've never actually seen the entirety of EoE, just the first and last like, 15 or so minutes of it. I've read story synopsi, but I need to get around to seeing the whole thing... I'll hopefully be able to use birthday money to get it off of amazon...And from what I've seen, it's way better than every single character saying Congratulations to Shinji...

Edited by Terminus24

Oh Asuka's last fight was pretty brutal, but i did enjoy EOE, it showed the real ending of Evangelion i suppose, well sometimes i like to think it was just continued after episode 25 and 26, but its not really, but the end of it really mind-raped me. The Rebuild of Evangelion is definitly, well better than the original in my opinion, but the original was a pretty awsome series. Though Rebuild of Evangelion leaves out lots of fights, such as the fight with the angel that sucks things into its Shadows or something like that i think. Animation is very fantastic as well, in both series. Also, im trying to but the Evangelion manga, but im not sure where to buy the Second Edition, since the first edition is flipped to read left to right, and special collectors edition i heard was like a comic book, but i really want it its original manga style, reading left to right, but English sound effects too, but since the second edition only have japanese sound effects, oh well I just want it read from right to left and be an actual manga book. So, doesn anyone know where i can buy the second edition of Evangelion manga?

I believe you mean spin-off manga. :PAnyways, yes, it's quite messed up. I didn't really like Campus Apocalypse, but that's understandable since it is a Shojo manga. I haven't read Angelic Days yet, but I love Shinji Ikari Raising Project, which is probably the most messed-up of all of them...

Anyways, Eva is relatively sane, by Gainax standards. Compare it to FLCL or TTGL, and both of those trump Eva in the insanity department by quite a lot.

What TTGL? Anyways i watched FLCL, since my friend reccomended it to be, so i watched it, very short but pretty funny at times, and just weird but still awsome!

Gurren Lagann is pretty much Getter Robo (mainly Shin, Go, and Arc/Ah), but lighter and fluffier with more drills to replace the Buddhist musings Ishikawa threw in and the general utter insanity of the Getter Team. Still a fun watch.Evangelion is a surprisingly straight forward Super Robot anime, despite claims of 'deconstruction' of the genre (has some interesting takes on the ideas of the genre, yes, but it didn't really deconstruct them), with emotionally scarred teenagers piloting giant fleshy cyborg thingies that contain the souls of their mothers against Lovecraftian horrors. Copious amounts of mind screw, anime/toku references, meaningless Christian symbolism (as said by the staff members. They thought it looked cool) and Freudian psychology ensues. While considered very cynical, it ultimately has a hopeful message to it (despite how HORRIBLY DEPRESSING it's considered). An interesting watch that you will either love or hate.Gainax shows are generally straightforward and aren't really too confusing, provided you know what you're getting into and remember Gainax is a studio of Otakus.Except FLCL. I seriously have no idea what the heck was going on in that series beyond 'VACATION AFTER EoE'.

hElbrZ6.gif

Well, Eva pretty well fits the idea of a deconstruction, at least for me. I see deconstructions as asking two questions: "What would be some real-world consequences of this event?" and "What kind of person would actually act like this?" Eva seems to do a lot of that, showing who someone like Gendo really is, and the effects that placing the responsibility of saving the world on a group of emotionally damaged middle schoolers would actually have. The deconstruction in Eva isn't so much about consequences than about the psychology of the characters.

fjRqLk4.jpg

^ A REAL Deconstruction of Giant Robots would be "Man, Mechas are kinda inefficient, lets build tanks instead!"

The deconstruction in Eva isn't so much about consequences than about the psychology of the characters.

What "what are the consequences?" it's more or less what deconstruction Site with forums removed. -B6 is about. Edited by Black Six

^ A REAL Deconstruction of Giant Robots would be "Man, Mechas are kinda inefficient, lets build tanks instead!"

The deconstruction in Eva isn't so much about consequences than about the psychology of the characters.

What "what are the consequences?" is more or less what deconstruction Site with forums removed. -B6 is about.
But if you look at deconstructions of the character type tropes, it often includes a breakdown of psychological issues that might cause a person to act that way, so deconstruction may include a "what might be the cause of this?" definition. Or I could just be being stubborn. Edited by Black Six

fjRqLk4.jpg

Wow i really gotta watch TTGL, but after im done with this arc in the anime im watching. There seems to be lots of pretty messed up anime, i mean i looked up Elfen Lied, that seems to be pretty messed up so i gotta watch it soon. But anyways, I think the Rebuild series is my favorite Evangelion series so far, seems much more, umm less mind-eating, and well has a different twist on the story which i like where its going. Better animation buts thats cuz its more modern i guess.

Rebuild is better for a number of reasons:1: The animation is really great, much better than what they had back in 1995.2: Rebuild has a story that Is slightly different, but better (in most opinions)3: Asuka is no longer obsessed with Kaji (I'm hoping he doesn't die this time around).4: The biggest one, ANNO IS NOW COMPLETELY SANE. Because Anno's depression pulled the series downhill.

Well word has it 3.0 is going to be significantly darker, so I guess only time can tell at this point which way it's gonna go. If it's Eva-related, it's pretty much impossible to predict. But I'm enjoying it so far.

Edited by Cobui

fjRqLk4.jpg