Lego Ninjago Books

Aanchir

This topic is for discussion of the LEGO Ninjago books. So far, there have been a number of Ninjago books, most of them by the very familiar author Greg Farshtey, who handled the BIONICLE comics starting in 2001 and most of the BIONICLE books starting in 2003. These complement the stories told in the TV show Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, with occasional expansions of scenes from the TV series but mostly all-new adventures.I was going to include links to pages on every individual book, but I'm not allowed to have that many links in one post! There are already over 20 Ninjago books worldwide, either already released or due for release later this year.American Ninjago books on Barnes & NobleGerman Ninjago books by Nelson-VerlagPolish Ninjago books by AMEETDo you own any of these books? I definitely recommend many of them to any Ninjago fans, especially those who were fans of the BIONICLE books. I'm the proud owner of Kai: Ninja of Fire, Zane: Ninja of Ice, Cole: Ninja of Earth, Jay: Ninja of Lightning, and the LEGO Ninjago Official Guide. Of them, my favorite of them is Zane: Ninja of Ice, but all the ones I own are enjoyable and well-written.

I really want to read those graphic novels by Greg Farshtey. Also, the art on those Ninjago Reader books is amazing! I wish I could find these in a store...

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I actually don't know much about Ninjago.The books look interesting, but should I watch the series first, or read the books?

It really doesn't matter that much. It might help to understand the characters a bit before both, which you could find on The Ninjago Wiki, here maybe. The main characters that you might want to learn about are Kai, Jay, Zane, Cole, Lord Garmadon, Sensei Wu, Lloyd Garmadon and Pythor.The books are good, so you could read those first if you'd like. The episodes are best to watch in order, so you can find most online, and the new ones air on Wednesdays at 8pm (EST) and Friday at 7:30pm (EST).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I actually don't know much about Ninjago.The books look interesting, but should I watch the series first, or read the books?

I'd recommend watching the first four episodes of the show first, which is easier since you can watch last year's episodes for free on the Ninjago website. Last year's books take place largely in between events from those episodes, sometimes featuring new adventures and sometimes featuring scenes largely glossed over the show in more detail.Each of last year's four novels feature three segments: an introduction written by Sensei Wu explaining that book's lead character's personality and motivations; a short story which often expands on events from the show; and a longer story divided into chapters, which relates events not included in the show.The best book to start with is probably Kai: Ninja of Fire, the stories in which take place no later than the second TV episode. A good order to read these stories in would be Kai, then Zane, then Cole, and finally Jay.A warning before you dive in: these four novels include the rather queer gimmick of having some words or phrases "popped out" with bold, askew text. This is probably intended to help hold younger readers' attention, but older readers can pay them no heed, as the stories are plenty good despite this concession to the target audience.I can't recommend the graphic novel as I haven't read it yet, but I expect it would be at least as good as the standard novels, and I know it also takes place between the beginning and end of last year's story, so again, watching the first four TV episodes should give you a good foundation in the story. Meanwhile, the Official Guide is largely supplementary, so it's not necessary to get unless you've already gotten into the story or the sets. It does include unique information, such as descriptions of the basic skeleton warriors (Frakjaw, Krazi, Bonezai, and Chopov), and more detailed descriptions of the dragons, skeleton vehicles, and other aspects of the sets and story.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Okay, I read a couple bits of the Ninjago Reader books, which are based mainly off of the show. The first few are written by Greg Farshtey, while the rest are written by Tracey West. They are pretty good, especially for young age groups. Not too sure how well they appeal to older audiences, but the ones I read are kind of funny.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Okay, I read a couple bits of the Ninjago Reader books, which are based mainly off of the show. The first few are written by Greg Farshtey, while the rest are written by Tracey West. They are pretty good, especially for young age groups. Not too sure how well they appeal to older audiences, but the ones I read are kind of funny.

Apart from the Greg-written ones, that description of these doesn't interest me too much. Tracey West is Scholastic's go-to guy for early-reader books adapted from television; I recognize his name from a number of mediocre Pokemon books back in the day.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Apart from the Greg-written ones, that description of these doesn't interest me too much. Tracey West is Scholastic's go-to guy for early-reader books adapted from television; I recognize his name from a number of mediocre Pokemon books back in the day.
I haven't read any of Tracey's books yet. I only read a sample version of "Way of the Ninja" and "The Golden Weapons".

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick