Ninjago Topic

PowerMiner

I really enjoy Ninjago, and I think that it is a very well-designed SYSTEM theme. I enjoy the mini-movies, because they are very funny, and have a good story. I haven't really got a chance to try the card game yet, but I have Spinners and cards to do so. I hope I can get to doing that sometime soon.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I really enjoy Ninjago. My twin brother and I recently bought three of the Ninjago books by Greg Farshtey, and they are every bit as entertaining as his BIONICLE books. Or in the very least, "Zane: Ninja of Ice" is that good, and I'm sure any BIONICLE fans will enjoy reading it.I was in the middle of writing a review of these books for another site, but once I'm finished I suppose I could also put it here. It might even be more relevant here since much of the review is comparing it to Greg Farshtey's previous work for the BIONICLE books and comics.TLG has made it clear that they want Ninjago to be "their next BIONICLE", and so far it seems to be working. Perhaps it might not last quite as long as BIONICLE, but it certainly has captured the imaginations of kids the same way BIONICLE did in 2001-2002. Its TV special was even so successful in its timeslot that the theme will be getting a full TV series later this year-- something that BIONICLE was never able to achieve. I'm not saying it's better than BIONICLE, but it has as much potential as BIONICLE had in many respects, and has even more potential in other ways due to its simpler fantasy-based story.The sets are amazing too. My twin brother and I haven't put forth any effort to get a complete collection, but the sets we have gotten-- such as all of the dragons, the Fire Temple, and the Skeleton Chopper-- are wonderfully imaginative and well-designed.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I really enjoy Ninjago. My twin brother and I recently bought three of the Ninjago books by Greg Farshtey, and they are every bit as entertaining as his BIONICLE books. Or in the very least, "Zane: Ninja of Ice" is that good, and I'm sure any BIONICLE fans will enjoy reading it. I was in the middle of writing a review of these books for another site, but once I'm finished I suppose I could also put it here. It might even be more relevant here since much of the review is comparing it to Greg Farshtey's previous work for the BIONICLE books and comics. TLG has made it clear that they want Ninjago to be "their next BIONICLE", and so far it seems to be working. Perhaps it might not last quite as long as BIONICLE, but it certainly has captured the imaginations of kids the same way BIONICLE did in 2001-2002. Its TV special was even so successful in its timeslot that the theme will be getting a full TV series later this year-- something that BIONICLE was never able to achieve. I'm not saying it's better than BIONICLE, but it has as much potential as BIONICLE had in many respects, and has even more potential in other ways due to its simpler fantasy-based story. The sets are amazing too. My twin brother and I haven't put forth any effort to get a complete collection, but the sets we have gotten-- such as all of the dragons, the Fire Temple, and the Skeleton Chopper-- are wonderfully imaginative and well-designed.

I don't think it has captured the minds of children in quite the same way, but I agree; it is capturing the minds of people, and is promoting creativity in a storyline and a game—that being the Spinner game. I think it is beginning to meet up with BIONICLE, and will hopefully be successful, as was BIONICLE. I also enjoy the LEGO Games Ninjago game, because it meets the same concept as the regular Ninjago sets and the Spinner game, but takes a different approach making it a different style and concept.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I love NINJAGO, it's one of the best things LEGO has out! It is in the same catagory as BIONICLE, in my opinion. Everything is so wonderful about it, the architecture, the environments (Floating Ruins :happydance: ), everything. I know all about NINJAGO and I'm a great fan. I look forward to seeing where it will go in the future. :ninja:

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

Who else likes the spinners? I've found that if you put cheese slopes all over the spinner, it makes it easier to knock the other player off of their spinner, because their weapons get caught on it easily. I suggest you try it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Do you think the series will be by Tinseltown toons, or someone else? I ask because the contract with TT will probably expire soon...

The series will be by WIL Film, the same company that did the TV special and mini-movies. Here's the press release. Anyway, we now have seen non-watermarked Ninjago pics for 2012. Pretty cool stuff. The site that originally had them seems to be down from too much traffic, though-- not sure where else they've been posted.

Who has LEGO Battles: Ninjago? I've been wondering if it's a cool game... Also, I have some cool Ninjago Logos (SVG for the win), but I'll let you know that I think 2 or 3 are unofficial. The SVG is official though. ;) Here they are, along with some other various logos if anybody wants to use them on a blog or something.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Its TV special was even so successful in its timeslot that the theme will be getting a full TV series later this year-- something that BIONICLE was never able to achieve.

I rather think that if BIONICLE were episodic, like Ninjago or Hero Factory, then it would have gotten a show. BIONICLE, in my opinion, would never have made it as a TV show without drastic changes. Ninjago seems alright. I'm not really "into" the line (nor, really, any other line), but I hold nothing against it.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Ninjago certainly peaks my interest. The 2012 linup not so much. I prefer spinning Ninjas fighting skeleton warriors.Currently I only have the Ice Dragon and Turbo Shredder. The Shredder is far superior and is easily on of my all time favorite Lego sets.I have some goals for collecting: I want to get all the dragons, Wu, Garmadon, Samukai, and the DX ninjas. Which, if I get all the sets that have the dragons, that should cover everything. Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I wonder if they are going to make other colors of Ninjas. I mean, they have to recruit more people to help fight darkness and evil, right?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Its TV special was even so successful in its timeslot that the theme will be getting a full TV series later this year-- something that BIONICLE was never able to achieve.

I rather think that if BIONICLE were episodic, like Ninjago or Hero Factory, then it would have gotten a show. BIONICLE, in my opinion, would never have made it as a TV show without drastic changes. Ninjago seems alright. I'm not really "into" the line (nor, really, any other line), but I hold nothing against it.
I definitely agree about BIONICLE not making a great TV show. It's part of the reason I don't put a lot of faith in some people's assumption that once Hero Factory ends, BIONICLE will be new and fresh again and can come back. Themes like Hero Factory and Ninjago seem to have been consciously designed with an episodic storyline in mind, so that they wouldn't become as difficult for new fans to discover as BIONICLE was in its later years. If BIONICLE were to be brought back, it would probably have to be re-imagined with this principle in mind, and thus it wouldn't at all be the BIONICLE we remembered or wanted to see return. I sort of held the same feeling about Hero Factory and Ninjago as you currently hold about Ninjago. At least, in the beginning. Gradually, as themes I had been following like Power Miners, Space Police, and Atlantis ended, however, I was a bit more open to both of these themes. With Hero Factory, what pushed me to start investing in the theme was the new building system. With Ninjago, it was probably the release of the Fire Temple set, as well as the staggered LEGO store discounts during Brickfair, during which my brother and I bought all the sets we would need to get all the minifigures.Also, yes, Meiko, there will according to rumor be a green Ninja in the summer 2012 sets.Just to maybe spark some discussion, images of the January-April 2012 sets have been seen without any preliminary watermarks at a certain German online toy shop. Not sure if they're OK to link to from here? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be, but I don't want to risk getting in trouble with the staff so soon after the forums return.

If you need a good arena to use spinners in, Bey-blade arenas work great. I don't know if they still sell those, but if you have one, they work amazingly well.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I kind of like ninjago, my biggest complaint is the modern feel of the skeletons. I have the starter card set and the 2 smallest sets.

I agree. I don't like the punk feel they gave them. I rather have the ninja's sets, with all the Oriental architecture. :D

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

I like the Ninjago theme, and some of the sets are rather ingenious. Although I haven't bought the Fire Temple, I got a close look at it at BrickFair, and it is super amazing. Lots of detail has gone into making the sets, and then they added a cool storyline. Yeah, I hope Ninjago does well for Lego, and it does feel very much like Bionicle used to. :music:

The thing that helps Ninjago meet up to BIONICLE is the story. It is more humorous than the BIONICLE story, and the characters are easier to relate to. I really enjoy the Ninjago episodes, and I think they are making a DVD with them on it. If they are, I'm buying it! :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

As long as it's not done by the same people who did the HF miniseries... So, teenage ninjas with elemental powers, huh? This show will have to work to differentiate itself from Avatar: The last Airbender, especially since the latter has a sequel miniseries coming out in 2012. The comedic tone may be enough to set it apart, as long as it's done well.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

As long as it's not done by the same people who did the HF miniseries... So, teenage ninjas with elemental powers, huh? This show will have to work to differentiate itself from Avatar: The last Airbender, especially since the latter has a sequel miniseries coming out in 2012. The comedic tone may be enough to set it apart, as long as it's done well.

I think in some ways it seems far more similar to the cartoon Xiaolin Showdown than to Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's true, it will be a fantasy martial-arts series like both of those previous series. But Ninjago has far zanier villains, costumes, and vehicles than Avatar: The Last Airbender. Also, Ninjago seems to be a mostly lighthearted adventure story, whereas Avatar: The Last Airbender was an epic saga in a vast, imaginative universe-- closer in my opinion to BIONICLE than to Ninjago. And needless to say, there's also Ninjago's anachronistic fantasy setting, which is a stark contrast to A:TLA's more historically-rooted setting.

From the commercial point of view, it looks like Ninjago is being a real coup for LEGO. Personally, I really like the concept of Ninjago (the crazier, the better!), even though I haven't got any sets yet. I intend to do so, though, and I am particularly looking forward to buying some spinners. I would also like to see Ninja in other colours like orange, medium blue, lime or yellow. Unfortunately, it's unlikely LEGO is going to introduce new characters since we have only just begun getting to know the current ones, so the maximum we can expect right now is the current team getting outfits in new colours and Nya becoming a member of the team. Oh, and I am really looking forward to the next TV episodes, having really liked the ones broadcasted so far.~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

From the commercial point of view, it looks like Ninjago is being a real coup for LEGO. Personally, I really like the concept of Ninjago (the crazier, the better!), even though I haven't got any sets yet. I intend to do so, though, and I am particularly looking forward to buying some spinners. I would also like to see Ninja in other colours like orange, medium blue, lime or yellow. Unfortunately, it's unlikely LEGO is going to introduce new characters since we have only just begun getting to know the current ones, so the maximum we can expect right now is the current team getting outfits in new colours and Nya becoming a member of the team. Oh, and I am really looking forward to the next TV episodes, having really liked the ones broadcasted so far. ~Gata. ;)

Have you seen the two-minute mini movies on LEGO.com? They're kind of grainy at the Ninjago site, but if you do a Google Video Search by each one's title you should be able to find better-quality versions on dedicated video hosting sites. Can't really say more than that since the one video hosting site which I know has them all at good quality (on an official TLG channel, no less) is not allowed to be mentioned. They're obviously not as heavily plot-driven as the TV special was, but they're still rather entertaining. They definitely make me look forward to the debut of the TV series.

I haven't seen those 2-minute mini-movies yet, but I am a huge fan of the 30-minute television episode series. I enjoy the plot of each episode, and the script is well-written. I'm hoping I get to see more of them when they come out. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

From the commercial point of view, it looks like Ninjago is being a real coup for LEGO. Personally, I really like the concept of Ninjago (the crazier, the better!), even though I haven't got any sets yet. I intend to do so, though, and I am particularly looking forward to buying some spinners. I would also like to see Ninja in other colours like orange, medium blue, lime or yellow. Unfortunately, it's unlikely LEGO is going to introduce new characters since we have only just begun getting to know the current ones, so the maximum we can expect right now is the current team getting outfits in new colours and Nya becoming a member of the team. Oh, and I am really looking forward to the next TV episodes, having really liked the ones broadcasted so far.~Gata. ;)

Have you seen the two-minute mini movies on LEGO.com? They're kind of grainy at the Ninjago site, but if you do a Google Video Search by each one's title you should be able to find better-quality versions on dedicated video hosting sites. Can't really say more than that since the one video hosting site which I know has them all at good quality (on an official TLG channel, no less) is not allowed to be mentioned.They're obviously not as heavily plot-driven as the TV special was, but they're still rather entertaining. They definitely make me look forward to the debut of the TV series.
I did, and I found them quite amusing. :)~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I'd like to see a LEGO Ninjago video game by Travelers' Tales games. I know about LEGO Battles: Ninjago, but I'm not too good at that game, and I don't quite understand what the point of the game is. Maybe something like this will be in the near future.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 2 weeks later...
Trailer for the upcoming 13-episode Ninjago TV series. I'm really looking forward to it! This video gives us our first glance at certain things like the Green Ninja and a crane operated by the Serpentine which seems like something that might show up as a set eventually (it appears at least twice).The TV series will be debuting December 2 in the United States, according to the latest magazine.I read that Vimeo links without comments are OK here on BZPower, but staff may remove the link if for whatever reason they think it's objectionable.

The link should be fine, but you could always directly embed the video into your post to be sure. ;) Great find! :) Hard to believe that it´s two months old and was never seen before, though. :P I can´t wait, hopefully the LEGO Club Magazine will reveal when the series is to air in Germany. Also, set descriptions confirm that Lloyd Garmadon is Lord Garmadon´s son and state that the Samurai´s identity is secret, although it´s pretty obvious that it´s Nya. I wonder how is the Green Ninja then, though. An entirely new character?You should totally report this to the news, by the way. ;)~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw the Ninjago: Rise of the Snakes premier and it was awesome. Being an animation geek I was really impressed by the ninja moves. But what I like most is that it's expanding Ninjago's storyline. The characters are becoming more developed and now I'm being pushed to buy the sets (which isn't a bad thing at all :D ). Zane got his feature episode and I loved it-- he's always been my favorite. Can't wait for the series!

I agree, the two episodes rocked and let the first movie pale in comparison. In my opinion, NINJAGO is the best LEGO line ever already now, together with BIONICLE, although at second thought, NINJAGO probably succeeds better from a toy line perspective (the BIONICLE story is too mature and epic for a toy line).~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png