Dynamics

Allanon Loke

This is something I was working on and completed during BZP's downtime. It is set in the Bionicle universe, however the entire cast is made of characters I created. This chapter pretty much just introduces the main protagonists. The action will start in the next chapter. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Enjoy.

Chapter 1"Well, what now?" a bored looking Ikiku, Toa of Stone, asked an equally bored looking, and fidgeting, Toa of Air.Lynx shrugged and looked at the ceiling, putting his hand behind his head. With his other hand, he threw an imaginary dart at the ceiling. He felt someone elbow him in the ribcage of his armor. He looked at Tyoama, Toa of Water, in annoyance. That was the third time she had elbowed him, and they had only been there for fifteen minutes. She gave him a dissaproving look and shook her head. Lynx made a loud, annoying noise sounding like a mix betwen a sigh and a groan. With more force this time, she elbowed him again."Will you behave?" she hissed."Why do you always insist on coming to these Toa meetings so early?" Lynx shot back. The green Toa looked around, trying to find something to amuse himself. He locked eyes on Ikiku, who was just leaning back in his chair and putting his feet on the table. Lynx grinned to himself. He silently picked up his curved bow, which had been leaning on the back of his chair. Then he took advantage of its curvature to poke Ikiku hard on his other side.Startled, the Toa of Stone looked around. Seeing Lynx's grin, he gave the green Toa a look.Tyoama elbowed the Air Toa again. "Will you please behave?""Yes, dear," Lynx said, a mocking look on his Miru, Great Mask of Levitation.Tyoama was about to elbow him again when Ray, Toa of Ice, entered. They did not see him enter, but the sudden temperature drop in the room betrayed his presence. She turned around to face the doorway but did not see him. Suddenly there was a loud bang infront of her. She leaped out of her seat, instinctively crouching to a fighting stance. Then she straightened. She scowled at the Ice Toa, who stood infront of her, a small grin on his Kaukau, his sword on the table where he had slammed it, and a grate in his other hand, like the one that should have been on the drain in the room."Why did you come through the drain?" she asked, truly curious but still annoyed. She noticed a foul odor about him. "The sewer from the smell of it too.""I was working," he said simply. "I swam through the sewage system. I would have been late otherwise. Got here on time, did not I?"Tyoama could here Lynx snickering. She turned to look at him and saw that the two Toa were trying not to laugh. She turned back to Ray, who had not moved. "The sewer? What work would you, a Toa of Ice, have in the sewer?"Ray did not answer, but instead turned around and put the grate back on the drain pipe. He took a seat next to Tyoama around the table. He stared straight ahead, ignoring that he had even heard her question."You're being rude.""Am I?" he asked, looking innocent. He glanced down at himself. "Oh. The smell. I am sorry for that, though I have never heard a smell called rude."Tyoama sat down in frustration. Ray's mind seemed to be detached from his body sometimes. She had stopped trying to pursue questions that he would not answer because it would end in nothing but confusion on her part. He was intelligent, but his bahavior patterns were like a maze to her.

Four Turaga entered the room, discussing things in quiet tones. Each sat next to their perspective Toa, but one had to sit next to an empty chair since his Toa had not arrived yet. Turaga Taia and Toa Lynx greeted each other enthusiatically. Turaga Shataea sat down next to Tyoama. She sniffed the air and looked past Tyoama to the white Toa. She questionably raised an eyebrow of her Noble Mahiki, Mask of Illusion, to Tyoama. Tyoama shook her head exasperatedly, rolling her eyes.

Turaga Lant stopped before sitting next to Ray. He looked at Ray harshly. The two began arguing in a foreign language. Unlike other regions of Ahira, many of Ko-Ahira's inhabitants were not native to the island but had migrated long ago. These migrants spoke a different Matoran dialect, and the result was that every Ko-Ahiran fluently spoke both the language of Ahira and of the migrants' native land. This was slightly annoying to the other Ahirans, because they had never had to learn this new language. They thought it rude when Ko-Ahirans would converse in this language infront of those who did not know the language. Nevertheless, the basic context of what Lant and Ray were saying was clear by the Turaga's harsh tone and the Toa's excusing and placating tone. Lant sat down next to Ray, though he moved his chair away from the smelly Toa.Turaga Twichm of Earth sat near the head of the table, where the Toa of Earth and leader of the Ahira team would sit when he arrived.Two loud voices could be heard down the hall. Though their voices were muffled, the conversation could be clearly understood, easily identifying the Toa and Turaga of Fire."That makes no sense!" one shouted."Will you just listen?" came the other, not as loudly, more reserved."I will when you make sense!""Calm down," the other snapped."I am calm!"The two entered. Toa Vicant's last statement rung in their ears because of his booming voice and echoing quality of the room. The two stopped arguing and sat down in silence, neither looking at the other.Turaga Shataea shook her head in disapproval at the Toa of Fire. "You should not yell at your elders," she scolded.Vicant crossed his arms and glared at the ground, but remained silent.Turaga Hattit nodded and said, "Yes, if you would just be quiet and listen - ""I was listening," the irritated Fire Toa muttered through clenched teeth."There you go again," Hattit said, throwing his hand up in an exasperated gesture. "You never wait for me to finish - ""Because when I do, it still doesn't make sense," Vicant shot back."Vicant. Be quiet," said Toa Titasami, striding into the room with his usual frown on his Kakama. The Toa of Fire shut up immediately. No one crossed the Toa of Earth. He had been a Toa longer than any of the present Toa, and even had been a Toa before a few of the present Turaga. His leadership was unchallenged because of his experience and ability to keep order.A brown Turaga and a blue and green Toa followed Titasami. Toa Kappa smiled slightly at the other Toa before resuming his serious demeanor. He sat down between the Water Toa and Air Turaga. Turaga Silam of Earth took his seat next to Toa Ikiku. The two stone elemetals nodded in greeting.They all looked at Toa Titasami. He sat down, signalling the the Toa meeting had come to order. Nothing of importance was really accomplished at these meetings. The meetings were Titasami's way of keeping the Toa in contact with each other and keeping them informed of events. Basically, the Turaga talked to each other about problems and afterwards some of the Toa would stick around and be social."I have an announcement," Titasami said, surprising them. The Toa, even Titasami, rarely spoke at these meetings, and an announcement by their leader had to be important. Titasami paused before continuing, looking around to make sure he had everyone's attention. "I've been the leader of this team for, well, a long time. I've decided to pick a second in command to replace me when I die or when I become a Turaga so you all are not fighting each other and destroying things to be the leader." Titasami glanced meaningfully at Vicant, Lynx, and Ikiku. "I have chosen Toa Kappa of Air and Water to be the second in command."They all looked at the young Toa in surprise. He was the youngest and most inexperienced of the team. Kappa was looking at his lap, fidgeting with his hands. He did not appear surprised by this announcement, only nervous.The Turaga all nodded their approval."That aside," the Earth Toa said brusquely, turning the conversation back over to the Turaga, "Turaga Silam, how is the harvest going?"The brown Turaga nodded. "Fine. Remember, everyone is invited to the Harvest Feast. It seems that I always say this every year yet no one comes," he said, an annoyed look on his Kanohi Rau, Mask of Translation."I'll come," Lynx said excitedly.Silam gave him a look. "You said that last year."Lynx looked gave him a nervous grin. "Oh."Vicant, who had been leaning on the back legs of his chair, suddenly lost his balance and fell backwards. Metal armor and stone make a very loud noise, especially in such a quiet atmosphere. Vicant's orange Kanohi began turning red. He slammed the chair back upright and sat down."Stop rocking in a chair that is not meant for rocking," the Fire Turaga whispered admonishingly."Stop telling me not to rock and I won't rock," he whispered back rebelliously."Your attitude is entirely uncalled for," Hattit snapped."Whatever," the Fire Toa said sharply, folding his arms across his chest and leaning his chair back again.Hattit scowled and slammed his fist at Vicant's chair, making it go back on all four legs.Vicant glared angrily at the Turaga. Heat began emanating from him, dangerously high.Titasami stood up, glowering at the two fire elementals. "Everyone is dismissed except the Ta-Ahiran representatives," he said in a flat, even paced tone. A few winced. They certainly did not want to be in either Vicant or Hattit's place. Titasami only used big, official words and that tone when he was angry. No one wanted to cross Titasami when he was angry. The others left quietly."Kappa, you stay too," Titasami said, gesturing to the new Second.Kappa nervously walked to the Toa of Earth's side.Looking at Kappa, Titasami stepped back and gestured to the seated pair. Kappa looked shocked and hoped that he misinterpreted Titasami's gesture. Oh no, he doesn't want me to talk to them, does he? he thought, suddenly not wanting his new role. But Titasami said nothing to the red pair and did not even look at them. His expectant gaze was fixed on the young Toa only. Kappa looked at Toa Vicant and Turaga Hattit, both of which had disciplined him at one time or another in the past years. Toa Vicant looked angry. Turaga Hattit appeared to have calmed down and was watching him expectantly as well, waiting to see what Kappa would say."Well, what is your problem?" he asked them, masking his nervousness with his usual serious expression.Vicant looked taken aback by the question. He began spluttering and pointing at Hattit. "He - I don't - what can- ""You cannot blame it wholly on Turaga Hattit, though he did provoke you," he said as sternly as he could despite his nervousness. "Have you ever wondered why the Ta-Ahirans have been so unruly? Have you ever thought that it is because they are following their Toa's example? You are responsible for them, not just for their physical safety. They look up to you." He pointed his finger at Vicant for emphasis. "They admire you and want to imitate you. Also, here in this room, you represent your people. What image have you shown the other Toa for your Matoran?""And you, Turaga Hattit," he began, more nervous at the task of admonishing a Turaga, "you are responsible for Toa Vicant."Hattit looked pensive and attentive."You were once a Toa of Fire. You know what your duties were. It is your responsibility to train him. You are his example. When he sees you lose your temper, won't he follow? If he sees that you think that your temper outbursts are fine, then he probably will not find your teaching him not to lose his temper as a, um, something that he must do." His mind began to draw a blank, quelling under the Turaga's steady gaze. But he kept talking, hoping that he made sense. "I know that I struggled with that when you would train me. You would tell me to be calm and reasonable, yet I would see you yelling at Toa Vicant over, well, nothing. It made no sense to me. Though Vicant probably won't admit it, it most likely doesn't make sense to him either."Kappa stopped, finished. He waited anxiously for their responses.Vicant looked at Hattit grudgingly. "Sure, whatever, I'm sorry. Are we done?" he mumbled.Hattit looked at Titasami by instinct to see if he had his approval for dismissal. He turned his gaze to Kappa, waiting for a response."Yeah, I guess," the green and blue Toa said, feeling discouraged. "That's all I can think of. I hope you keep that in mind."The two left without saying any more to him. Kappa swallowed uneasily. He did not want to face Titasami. He felt as though he had failed. With his head down, he turned to Titasami. He glanced up, expecting admonition or disapproval, or even removal of his new position. Titasami's face showed no emotion."Good enough," he said. The two started to leave the room.A shout echoed down the halls. "That twerp just scolded me to my face! Who knew the kid had guts to do that?"Laughter echoed back.

Review Topic

Edited by Allanon Loke

My New Story Topic

Dynamics - my new epic. Chapter 1 up. "I am sorry for that, though I have never heard a smell called rude."

Chapter 2 A tall, black, heavily armored Vortixx stood facing a large, stagnant lake. In the center, a dangerous looking rock outcropping was beginning to appear. No rain had come to the island of Zereda for so long that the lake itself had begun to evaporate significantly. Several large, four-legged blue Rahi could be seen swimming and fighting with each other in the water. A few were ravenously eating some of the few remaining fish in the lake. A vicious fight broke out on the rock out-cropping when one of the Rahi managed to steal part of another's meal. Zebulun frowned in annoyance and repulsion. His subjects positively disgusted him at times. It did not matter to him that they were Rahi, though intelligent Rahi. He still thought that they were a nuisance to keep under control. The only thing he enjoyed about them was their loyalty and extreme numbers. He had never once lost a battle because he had numbers on his side. Though, he hated to watch the aftermath because the Ithamar would eat their slain enemies. He had gotten it through their animal brains to eat them out of his sight. The Ithamar came in two breeds, both possessing elemental powers. One was Water Ithamar, which Zebulun was watching presently with increasing boredom. They were several shades of blue. Silver and black markings and size were the only way he could tell any of them apart, if he even wanted to. The other was the Fire Ithamar, ranging from bright red to dull orange. These also had black and silver markings. The Ithamar's armor had jagged edges on the ends of their limbs nearest their clawed paws. They also had sharp teeth, but mainly used their teeth for eating. The Ithamar would only use these natural weapons in fights among themselves because, for some reason Zebulun could not understand and did not care to understand, they hated close combat with their enemies. They used their high level of intelligence to create and use long-ranged weapons that they would see their enemies using. Over time, their aim became very good. Over all, Zebulun preferred the Fire Ithamar, which he believed were more Matoran-like. Zebulun scowled. The more he thought about Matoran, the more he despised these Ithamar. He had to learn the language of the Rahi Ithamar in order to communicate with them, and he found this to be very bothersome. Matoran would make much better subjects. Yet, he knew that the only way he could gain a territory with Matoran would be to use the force of his Ithamar, meaning that he would have to take them with him. Yet taking all of these Rahi with him would be not only troublesome but also meant that he would have to somehow get rid of them when he gained a Matoran territory. Zebulun began to lose himself in the daydreams of ruling intelligent Matoran. He heard a noise of metal against stone and a growl from behind him and twitched in annoyance. He turned his head and saw a Fire Ithamar climbing up the rock stairs on all fours. When the Rahi saw that his master had seen him, he quickly stood up on his hind legs, as Zebulun had instructed him. The sword attached to a belt around his waist clanged against the rock again. The red Rahi growled at the sword again. Then he strode up to his master. "Pedahzur," he acknowledged the Rahi. The tall, red and black Rahi bowed his head and began making noises, his tail swaying from side to side. It annoyed him how their tails always seemed to be moving, not to mention that it annoyed him that they had tails at all. Zebulun could tell that his second in command was only making a speech of obesience, so he did not bother trying to understand him. Zebulun turned back to the dying lake. He heard the Rahi saying something more. He frowned irritably. "What is it?" he asked. Pedahzur started over again. Because Zebulun did not really care about the Ithamar's language, he had a limited understanding of it. All that he could understand from what Pedahzur said was "master," "food," "gone." "Of course they'd be complaining about food," he muttered under his breath. He saw the Rahi stiffen and felt a bit apprehensive. At times, he thought that the Rahi could understand a great deal more about the Matoran language than he let on, but that was impossible. He was only a Rahi, not anywhere near the intelligence level of Matoran with their spoken languages. A plot began to form in Zebulun's mind. He smiled craftily and turned to the tall Ithamar. He haltingly began to talk to the Rahi in the Rahi's language. "I thought much about this," he said with false concern and as simply as he could so the Rahi could understand. "I say to move to new land, new hunting." Pedahzur stared at his master with a look of concentration. A few seconds later, the Rahi's countenance brightened and he bobbed his head enthusiastically. Zebulun muttered under his breath about how slow-witted these creatures were. Then the Rahi asked, "How?" Zebulun sighed frustratedly. He had hoped that the semi-smart Rahi had thought of a way. He could not think of how to transport so many Rahi. The wood on the island was scarce, and he didn't trust the Ithamar with the crafting of boats. How would he be able to craft boats? Then the Ithamar began speaking again. Zebulun heard, "Water...swim...carry...to...boat...master." Zebulun crossed his arms in annoyance. That made no sense. "Repeat," he demanded. Pedahzur did not repeat it exactly. Instead, he pointed at the Water Ithamar. "Swim," he stated simply. Then he tapped his chest. "Carry red ones." Then he pointed to the trees then to Zebulun. "Boat - master." Zebulun grinned. He had not taken into account that the Water Ithamar did not need boats. And if the Water Ithamar carried the Fire Ithamar, that would mean fewer in the boat. "Good, good. Soon?" he said in his halting Rahi. The red being grinned. "Next sun-up." Zebulun smiled widely with evil cunning. "Good." The Rahi bowed and left, returning to all fours to move faster. Zebulun turned his attention back to the lake. Tomorrow, he would be that much nearer to leaving this primitive life and becoming the lord of a Matoran civilization somewhere. He hefted his sword, thinking of how he could go about destroying his Ithamar once he had that accomplished. He pushed a lever on the intricate handle, and the blade suddenly split into several blades going every which way. He grinned maliciously. He fingered another lever and the spring mechanism made the blades regroup to appear as one blade again. He turned and approached a tree. He stabbed the tree, pulled the lever, and watched with evil delight as the tree flew in many directions from force of the springing blades. He could remember how many times he had used this weapon on live beings and the glorious mess it would make. No one ever survived a thrust from his sword as soon as he pulled that lever. He rarely had to actually fight with this weapon, his own creation.

-~-~-~-

Pedahzur raced to the high rocks, his sword annoyingly banging on the ground. He found the sword to be bothersome, but he knew that the Black One gave him this as a mark of authority as second in command. It was a symbol that told him how much the Master trusted him. Soon, the Fire Ithamar was at the near top of the high rocks. The high rocks was a large rock formation at one end of the island. This was used as the temporary meeting place of the Ithamar while they lived on Zereda. Pedahzur threw back his head and let loose a deep, wailing roar that could be heard all over the island. Immediately, red and blue Ithamar began to quickly assemble. He could see that nerves were high as they snapped at and growled at each other irritably. He waited until all was silent to begin. "The Master has decided that we should leave this place and seek a new hunting ground," he began, his words projecting well in the rock formation to reach the innumerable Rahi assembled. Murmurs began echoing off the walls. "True, the boats we came in when we arrived have been destroyed. We can still swim. All Water Ithamar are to help the Fire Ithamar in this." Instantly the crowd began shifting as friends began pairing up. "We will construct a boat for our master, and four Water Ithamar will guide his craft. We leave tomorrow." A smacking noise began and steadily increased in volume. The Ithamar were slamming their claws against the rocks, a sign of their agreement and approval. The deadened trees were uprooted as the Rahi quickly set to work. Pedahzur climbed back down the rock and began searching for the four strongest Water Ithamar. "Azari. Pashu. Malch. Tirsat," he said, picking them out by name and sight. The four came to him. "You will be the ones to guide the master." They bowed their heads in honor. A red Ithamar approached the second in command. "Pedahzur," he said, quietly, concern showing in his dark red eyes. "You know there are more Fire than Water Ithamar. There will be many of us who will be forced to swim." Pedahzur nodded. "I know, Azzer," he replied calmly. "I will be one of those." Azzer's eyes widened. The second in command left before his friend could say more. He approached the boat makers. A crude, boat-shaped contraption began to be visible in their work. Some of them were arguing over how to stick the logs together. "Bash them together until they stick," one suggested brightly. "Can't you melt them together?" another asked. If they use fire, they will burn not melt, he thought. But melt...that's an idea. Pedahzur began digging. A few Ithamar gave him odd glances. It did not take long for him to run into a piece of metal. When the Ithamar had come to the island, they had to eliminate a race of armored creatures and their armor had sunk into the ground but was still good. He handed the piece of metal to a Fire Ithamar. "Melt this," he said, pointing to it then to the boat, "on that. They will stick together like the armor of our enemies." The Ithamar brightened and began bobbing their heads, delighted at the solution. The boat-builders split into two groups: those who dug up armor, and those who melted it on logs and made the logs stick together. A few of the diggers could be seen gnawing on the armor and picking at it, looking for some meat left on them. Pedahzur felt pity for his fellow Rahi. He himself was very hungry too. But tomorrow, he thought, hope rising his spirit as the sun crept behind the horizon, we will eat. Review Topic

My New Story Topic

Dynamics - my new epic. Chapter 1 up. "I am sorry for that, though I have never heard a smell called rude."