Exclusive Artwork: Merrick Fortis 3.0

Erebus

Hey guys, got something great for all the Hero Factory fans out there. While BZPower was getting its forums upgraded, we had a chance to contact Elmer Damaso to have him draw a particular "expanded universe" character. As you know, Mr. Damaso is the artist of the Hero Factory comics found in the LEGO Magazines and online. Having him draw a character who doesn't have a comic form was pretty exciting, especially for those at HS01. While he was drawing this character, we got contact details from Mr. Damaso about the group that colors for the Hero Factory comics, Digital Art Chefs. After obtaining the final version from Mr. Damaso, we commissioned DAC to color the artwork. Now, on behalf of the HS01 Staff, I would like to present Merrick Fortis 3.0:

erebus_hf_commission_-_colors_copy.jpg

Edited by Erebus
  • Upvote 3

jlovfkk.jpg

You can view the hi-res version on HS01, here: http://hf.biosector01.com/wiki/File:Merrick_Fortis_3.0_Exclusive_Art.png I'm just so happy with how this all turned out. It's very impressive work by the artists, and a good team effort on part of the staff to coordinate all this.

Looks very epic. I like the blend in 2.0 and 3.0 gear, and how it doesn't have that Savage Plkanet feel. Not hating Savage Planet, but just the scenery and the gear design work together better in this picture than if he looked more 3.0-Savage Planet-ish.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

I'm still in awe of this piece.I will admit to everybody, I've seen the high res. I actually -have- the high res PSD file on my computer. So, to see this uploaded for all of you to see? Amazing.I'm proud of you, ER. You got us the mad hookup, and you and the others didn't fail me one bit. *Salute*

bzpsig2015.png

Amazing piece of art. However... Couldn't he just fly up? :P Regardless, this is awesome in every way possible.

Haha, I suppose. His description on HeroFactory.com stated that the claw was specifically for climbing; when I was tossing ideas at ER, I thought it would be cool to have some kind of rock climbing pic. ER found http://www.majhost.com/gallery/JallerNuvaX/Randomizatable/indoor-rock-climbing-gym.jpg this image to use as inspiration, and it evolved into the final product you see today.

Awesome. Many thanks to Elmer Damaso, DAC, and the HS01 staff, all of whose initiative made this possible! As for why he's climbing, flying would have made him a more obvious target for whatever's waiting for him at the top of that cliff. Or maybe some other reason. Coming up with a reason that makes sense isn't too hard.

Wow! This is a nice piece of art! So this is Elmer Damaso's work? That's interesting because it seems quite different than his work in the comics that I have seen. Do we know of any other things he has done for Hero Factory besides the comics?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

We should be thanking Dorek for conceiving the idea of having Merrick Fortis 3.0 drawn and colored. :)

I didn't notice that he had proposed the idea. That's pretty awesome! Thank you very much for this Dorek! :bowdown: Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Wow! This is a nice piece of art! So this is Elmer Damaso's work? That's interesting because it seems quite different than his work in the comics that I have seen. Do we know of any other things he has done for Hero Factory besides the comics?

I think it's mostly because each of these sketches is peak performance; if you look at, say, OoF's last panel, Furno 2.0 is at a weird angle, and is basically background material; Stormer 2.0 is the main point of that picture. Here, you have it devoted to a single character, so you get max focus, and the same applies to the coloring.

We should be thanking Dorek for conceiving the idea of having Merrick Fortis 3.0 drawn and colored. :)

Hey, you did all the legwork in contacting them and organizing payments and whatnot; I'm just the idea guy. Plus financier. =P

By the way, is Elmer Damaso still illustrating the comics, because didn't Jesse Peyronel do the art for Savage Planet?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Oh, why am I so "out of it" today. Oh, I know! I haven't done enough on HS01 yet today! XD

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I may not be a big fan of the factory, but that doesn't take away from this great image. The scenery is just beautiful, and the hero looks very detailed. Not to mention how this full body shot will make custom versions much easier.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Heck yeah, this is a beautiful piece. This may end up being my new wallpaper...

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

I like the lighting, especially how it makes Merrick Fortis's eyes and hero core glow.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Any chances you think we might get something like this again any time soon?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Wow. I know Damaso did Transformers comics, and once I learned he did the HF comics, I was quite pleased.This is one cool piece of work. I love seeing stylized artwork of sets. And I particularly like how he made this look realistic, but still set-accurate for the most part.Big thanks to everyone who worked on getting this picture! :) KalhikiFirst post on the new forums for me!

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Any chances you think we might get something like this again any time soon?

Give us some cash and let's find out. :biggrin:
Okay, here: $20

Wow. I know Damaso did Transformers comics, and once I learned he did the HF comics, I was quite pleased.

Really? I never knew he did that. How long has he been doing them?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Wow. I know Damaso did Transformers comics, and once I learned he did the HF comics, I was quite pleased.

Really? I never knew he did that. How long has he been doing them?
On second thought, I think he only does Transformers artwork. But he may do comics. Don't know anything otherwise, I just saw some of his other work on a different site (that I don't know if I can mention because it has a commenting system). Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I like the slight distortion on his claw. It makes you really see how he's falling down that cliff.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

So it's so popular to our HEROsector01 crew that all of our staff have it as their profile pictures. I have to say, it makes a great profile picture, but I can't tell anybody apart eaasily anymore. :P Did anybody notice that he doesn't have an awesome Hero Recon Team chest plate?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick