New Lego Magazine Features Game Hints, Clones, and Heroes

BZPower readers are beginning to report the arrival of the latest Lego magazine, this time with Furno and Jawblade gracing the cover. Inside, you'll also find hints for the Hero Factory Breakout game as well as Star Wars and Ninjago comics. Finally, Hero Factory fans will find a multi-page spread featuring a number of characters. Check that mailbox!

View the full article

Man, I'm sorry, but for the last few years the Lego Magazine has gotten worse and worse. Barely any of the pages feel like they've had any work put into them, and even considering the age range the magazine is aimed at, the comics have been absolutely horrid. But what do I know - I'm not even getting the magazine anymore, my brother is. :rolleyes:

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Man, I'm sorry, but for the last few years the Lego Magazine has gotten worse and worse. Barely any of the pages feel like they've had any work put into them, and even considering the age range the magazine is aimed at, the comics have been absolutely horrid. But what do I know - I'm not even getting the magazine anymore, my brother is. :rolleyes:

Lego magazines have indeed been going down in quality.Anyway, I got mine saturday, and it wasn't that exciting...

pNNgXax.jpg

Lego magazines have indeed been going down in quality.Anyway, I got mine saturday, and it wasn't that exciting...
Yeah, they stopped being sources of valuable storyline info and future teasers. Without the Bionicle comics, it's pretty much pointless. Just puerile puzzles and lame comics.Oh, and I found a CGI error on the dump truck, and the comic Rattlecopter is missing a few nose pieces. So they DID know how horrible it looked.And the ARF trooper? Really, Lego?

aouROFb.png

Wow,the comics are,like always,just advertising new sets instead of showing character development.

Yeah, they stopped being sources of valuable storyline info and future teasers. Without the Bionicle comics, it's pretty much pointless. Just puerile puzzles and lame comics.Oh, and I found a CGI error on the dump truck, and the comic Rattlecopter is missing a few nose pieces. So they DID know how horrible it looked.And the ARF trooper? Really, Lego?
The ARF trooper joke was very lame.-CDP

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

Honestly, I still find the LEGO Club Magazines enjoyable, even in lieu of BIONICLE comics. They still tend to feature neat, well-illustrated comics (LEGO Magazine comics have always been somewhat silly; the BIONICLE comics were the main exception to this), cool information on the various themes, great images, and amusing time-wasting puzzles.The January-February magazine this year, for example, had a hilarious LEGO Star Wars comic, a decent LEGO Hero Factory comic, a LEGO City "search and find" puzzle with some amusing speech bubbles, and most importantly, an ad telling when the LEGO Ninjago TV series would resume airing in January. If this means flipping past a few more inane puzzles or putting up with blatant advertising, so be it.The LEGO Magazine has never been high art. It has always been and continues to be little more than a lengthy advertisement for LEGO products. But for those of us who are avid fans of a wide range of LEGO themes there's usually something to enjoy.On a side note, one thing that frustrates me is that some of the web content promised in the last magazine, such as Lloyd Garmadon's blog or Hero Factory Breakout short stories, have not yet made an appearance on the LEGO Club website. :(

Remember the giant Hakann sculpture in 2006 and the Bara Magna map with a prototype Mata Nui in 2009? What happened to cool stuff like that in Hero Factory? Right now, the whole magazine is just kiddie puzzles and blatant set advertising.

Edited by Chaos Dralcax

aouROFb.png

Remember the giant Hakann sculpture in 2006 and the Bara Magna map with a prototype Mata Nui in 2009? What happened to cool stuff like that in Hero Factory? Right now, the whole magazine is just kiddie puzzles and blatant set advertising.

Is it still a surprise to some people that Hero Factory is less heavy on world-building than BIONICLE was? Honestly, while I'd love a pull-out poster with a diagram of the Hero Factory, that's not the sort of marketing that TLG has chosen to rely on for this theme.A better question is why we don't see story features like the Bara Magna map for the Ninjago theme, which does have a lot of world-building. But in the meantime, it has to be remembered that some of those most memorable aspects of the magazines during BIONICLE's heyday came from the Brickmaster edition of the magazine, which was a paid subscription unlike the free LEGO Club magazine. Before the Brickmaster magazines emerged, many of the features in the LEGO Mania Magazine and LEGO Magazine were just as inane as those which people criticize from LEGO Club Magazine.Today's paid-subscription product, Master Builder Academy, doesn't affiliate itself with individual themes most of the time, but it does feature learning-intensive articles like interviews with talented AFOLs and with LEGO Master Builders. The sets are also much larger than Brickmaster sets were. However, LEGO fans online rarely comment on the articles in Master Builder Academy, and some people utterly fail to see the point of the promotion. Maybe that's a sign that BZPower members and the larger online LEGO community actually want a magazine that advertises their preferred themes, hence why they fail to cash in on the Master Builder Academy subscription package.I'm a big fan of Master Builder Academy. I recently received Kit 4 (Flight Designer) in the mail. If you want to see an example of the type of content you can get through Master Builder Academy, check out the Kit 1 Building Guide.

I don't receive the Lego magazine anymore...(by the way, do they have them in Europe?) But in the latest ones I have, there is a certain drop in quality from, say, 2005. They seem to mainly consist of puzzles and silly comics (particularly the Star Wars ones).

The LEGO Club Magazine exists in Europe as well, but here there are only five issues every year (January, April, June, September and November) instead of six. I believe there is also less content than in the US magazine, but I´m not sure about that.What I have been missing for the past few years are early sneak peeks of sets. They also used to have much more content. There was also a time where they had advertisements for third party products, though, and that was really annoying. I´m glad they got rid of those.~Gata. ;) Edited by One-Headed Janus

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I don't receive the Lego magazine anymore...(by the way, do they have them in Europe?) But in the latest ones I have, there is a certain drop in quality from, say, 2005. They seem to mainly consist of puzzles and silly comics (particularly the Star Wars ones).

What would you rather have? Star Wars comics that retell the movies exactly? In my honest opinion, playfulness and silliness are part of what gives LEGO media in general its charm. Video games since LEGO Island and LEGO magazine comics since well before my time (I started receiving magazines in the mid-90s) embraced silly jokes and storytelling. As I see it, Star Wars comics without that silliness you mention would be bland and valueless trifles, whereas the actual ones appearing in the magazines have no shortage of comic relief.There are some story-driven themes like BIONICLE for which serious storytelling really does work. But those are the exception, not the norm.

i have noticed a HUGE mistake in the magazine!so, in the ninjago 'find the characters' puzzle, kendo zane is seen as kendo cole in the character box!LOL

so...this is...my sig...

i'll put some stuff here soon...

don't really know why i'm typing this...

i'm so pathetic...

it's bulk 3.0 time!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ehthak/HFChibis/bulk3.0.swf

props to Xidash for the sig, got it from the epig sigpet shop!

Ha. Kinda cute. But is Brickmaster any better? Wait... is brickmaster around anymore? *google* Yep. Aww, we'll miss you, brickmaster!I guess i'll get the builder academy thing.....Let's take the lego club mag survey right now and tell them what we think. THE TRUTH!

Actually, I feel the MBA program is far better than the old Brickmaster one, which I never really found enticing at all.But, back on topic, since the end of Bionicle comics, I hardly bother with the magazine anymore. Maybe it's just that I'm way outside the target audience, but I find that the magazine mostly just does what the catalog does, but without listing the prices. My younger siblings seem to enjoy it, though, so that's something."But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

The LEGO Club Magazine exists in Europe as well, but here there are only five issues every year (January, April, June, September and November) instead of six. I believe there is also less content than in the US magazine, but I´m not sure about that.What I have been missing for the past few years are early sneak peeks of sets. They also used to have much more content. There was also a time where they had advertisements for third party products, though, and that was really annoying. I´m glad they got rid of those.~Gata. ;)
Yeah. What the Karz was Wonka candy doing right alongside Matoro's heroic sacrifice?

aouROFb.png

The LEGO Club Magazine exists in Europe as well, but here there are only five issues every year (January, April, June, September and November) instead of six. I believe there is also less content than in the US magazine, but I´m not sure about that.What I have been missing for the past few years are early sneak peeks of sets. They also used to have much more content. There was also a time where they had advertisements for third party products, though, and that was really annoying. I´m glad they got rid of those.~Gata. ;)
Yeah. What the Karz was Wonka candy doing right alongside Matoro's heroic sacrifice?
Wonka has no sense of heroism. <_< But really, between 2004 and 2006, there were advertisements all over the place and the magazine was even thiner than now.~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^