Prototype Sets

Dralcax

With the exception of the Kikanalo and Avak's face, I can't say I ever really preferred a prototype to a final model. I mean, this could've been Pohatu:toa_mata_proto.jpg

For this one, I'd say I prefer the final, fatter model.
That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I´ve ever seen. :PI find all those Rahaga and Keetongu prototypes highly interesting. They look strangely metallic and not even like LEGO sets if it weren´t for a few pieces.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

With the exception of the Kikanalo and Avak's face, I can't say I ever really preferred a prototype to a final model. I mean, this could've been Pohatu:*snip*

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I´ve ever seen. :PI find all those Rahaga and Keetongu prototypes highly interesting. They look strangely metallic and not even like LEGO sets if it weren´t for a few pieces.-Gata signoff.jpg
From what I can tell, an early stage of prototyping for BIONICLE sets involved welding parts together to get a feel for the general form they would shoot for. That, or it's possible that prototypes of this sort were actually prototypes for their movie designs, rather than set prototypes like the others. I think I've seen a Kikanalo prototype in the same "style" as this, so the latter isn't outside the realm of possibility. Edited by Ortographobia

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

With the exception of the Kikanalo and Avak's face, I can't say I ever really preferred a prototype to a final model. I mean, this could've been Pohatu:toa_mata_proto.jpg

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I´ve ever seen. :P-Gata signoff.jpg
I can kinda see why they scrapped it. It doesn't look anything like a Toa. More like a Rahi, though. I surely wouldn't be seen exiting a store with that.

mindeth the cobwebs

With the exception of the Kikanalo and Avak's face, I can't say I ever really preferred a prototype to a final model. I mean, this could've been Pohatu:*snip*

From what I can tell, an early stage of prototyping for BIONICLE sets involved welding parts together to get a feel for the general form they would shoot for. That, or it's possible that prototypes of this sort were actually prototypes for their movie designs, rather than set prototypes like the others. I think I've seen a Kikanalo prototype in the same "style" as this, so the latter isn't outside the realm of possibility.
I think, regarding the similarities between movie depictions and prototypes, that's more likely a case of the larger characters in the movies being based on prototype versions of the characters since producing the movie takes longer than producing the sets, and the larger set designs would not be finalized when the character models are being rendered.

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I´ve ever seen. :P-Gata signoff.jpg
I can kinda see why they scrapped it. It doesn't look anything like a Toa. More like a Rahi, though. I surely wouldn't be seen exiting a store with that.
Keep in mind that this is a VERY early prototype. No one knew what a Toa looked like at that point because there were no Toa. In fact, I think this is from even before the name "BIONICLE" had been settled on; at this stage they were still "Bone Heads of Voodoo Island". That would explain the lack of a mask; at this point the plan was to give them heads which could be knocked off instead.But I too am glad the actual Pohatu didn't end up like that.

Keep in mind that this is a VERY early prototype. No one knew what a Toa looked like at that point because there were no Toa. In fact, I think this is from even before the name "BIONICLE" had been settled on; at this stage they were still "Bone Heads of Voodoo Island". That would explain the lack of a mask; at this point the plan was to give them heads which could be knocked off instead.But I too am glad the actual Pohatu didn't end up like that.
I'm pretty sure that's just a random MOC.

aouROFb.png

It can´t be a MOC because this part was never released in brown.-Gata signoff.jpg Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

It can´t be a MOC because this part was never released in brown.-Gata signoff.jpg
Paint? Misprint? Fake?

aouROFb.png

Prototypes many times are not as well developed as final releases. There are some cooler aspects, but they were probably too expensive to produce.

Just because my sig is confusing Doesn'tmean it doesn't seem strangely awesome. how will you read this when it is invisible? But now you won't get just bits and pieces of something, then it would be something completly different.? Just highlight it to reveal the secret! It can be quite interesting...

~Power of Gresh~

If you can solve the Rubik's Cube in under a minute, PM me!

It's not a MOC. I don't remember the source, but this was indeed an early prototype for what would become BIONICLE. I don't think it's certain that this has any connection to Pohatu besides being a brown set, though, especially considering that since so little of the model is finalized it's not a sure thing that the color is finalized either.

...I don't remember the Krika, Hahli, or Nuparu prototypes you mentioned at all. Can we get some pictures of those?But anyways, I generally think the final products were better than what prototypes we have seen. I do like the final 2003 Matoran torso design more (it looks more natural), the prototype Kikanalo looks like it would have been far too rigid, the prototype Kongu Inika was atrocious...My only exception would be the Tower of Toa prototype, solely because of how incredible that Keetongu would have been to own.~|ET|~

Here'sa Brickshelf gallery (not my own) that compiles a lot of prototype images. The Krika prototype can be seen here and here (more info on Krika's development, including concept sketches and a better photo of this prototype, can be seen here on the website of the designer David Bird).The Hahli prototype people keep raving about can be seen here (those flippers do look nice, although I prefer the harpoon, mask, and color scheme from the final version). The corresponding Nuparu prototype is here (again, the mask is OK but I prefer the masks and weapons of the final set) and the corresponding Jaller prototype is here. The Toa Inika from this stage of prototypes were all evidently going to have Toa Metru heads and "auxiliary tools" in addition to their main weapons (of these, only Nuparu's claws were kept, in a simpler form of course). It's a nice idea, though factors like the mask designs and color scheme are obviously still in a very early design phase and would have changed significantly for the final products.
Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot about those Toa prototypes. Yeah, I'd say only Hahli's fins were things I would've liked to see. I definitely remember them now.And how could I forget about the Sand Tarakava? That's one I'd like for completely personal reasons. :PThe green Gukko wouldn't have been too bad either.Everything else... Yeah, I'm happy with what we got.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

It's not a MOC. I don't remember the source, but this was indeed an early prototype for what would become BIONICLE. I don't think it's certain that this has any connection to Pohatu besides being a brown set, though, especially considering that since so little of the model is finalized it's not a sure thing that the color is finalized either.
I´m pretty sure this is the source.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I´m pretty sure this is the source.-Gata signoff.jpg
Actually, I think this is, although sadly the second and third pages and the larger versions of the images are no longer available. The description fits. If the larger image were still around, it'd be here.Thankfully, many of the images from that article can be seen here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=47820