Runescape Thread 4

KayTee

I actually really like the beta. But there are a few aspects I'm not happy with. Those being the HP update and the new combat levels. Besides that, everything's pretty good besides overpowered abilities that I'm sure will be updated eventually.-Rez

I actually really like the beta. But there are a few aspects I'm not happy with. Those being the HP update and the new combat levels. Besides that, everything's pretty good besides overpowered abilities that I'm sure will be updated eventually.-Rez
Actually, I liked THOSE the best. The combat level calculation is a LOT more straightforward (highest damage skill + Defence + 2, as opposed to the current jumble of a formula now), the health boosts make sense, and now there's only "What item gives the best armor and health for the combat type I want to use?" It makes kitting up for a boss fight faster and simpler. Not that I've actually PLAYED the beta, I don't have a subscription at the moment, but I do intend to try it out once it hits the regular servers. Edited by Ice the Great

I don't like the new abilities, HP changes, armor statistic system, or combat formula. If those were removed and the stats of the armor stats reworked, keeping dual wielding and the action bar, I would be happy. Unfortunately, this won't be happening.By Armadyl, they need to have a poll conserning each of these areas to see how popular each one truly is.I would prefer, though, that prayer was un-nerfed. The way it is, it is not accounted for in the combat level AND doesn't do what it ought. Perhaps if the combat level had the player's prayer and summoning levels after? As in CBLV+PRY+SUMM. Therefore, I would be 147+50+59.

I think everything's fine except the combat formula, which doesn't seem thought out or logical at all. It doesn't make sense to have someone with 99 Prayer, HP, and Summoning at the same combat level as me.

Edited by Senrab

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

I don't like the new abilities, HP changes, armor statistic system, or combat formula. If those were removed and the stats of the armor stats reworked, keeping dual wielding and the action bar, I would be happy. Unfortunately, this won't be happening.By Armadyl, they need to have a poll conserning each of these areas to see how popular each one truly is.I would prefer, though, that prayer was un-nerfed. The way it is, it is not accounted for in the combat level AND doesn't do what it ought. Perhaps if the combat level had the player's prayer and summoning levels after? As in CBLV+PRY+SUMM. Therefore, I would be 147+50+59.
I think everything's fine except the combat formula, which doesn't seem thought ought or logical at all. It doesn't make sense to have someone with 99 Prayer, HP, and Summoning at the same combat level as me.
Do you know what the current formula(s, there are technically 3) is? It's a long, cumbersome piece of mathematics that can be hard to navigate without a graphing calculator. Now, you can figure out your CB level with basic head math. Besides, why should you be able to raise your combat level by burying people and making bags? They don't directly affect the damage you do. They might give you slight boosts, but not nearly as much as actually training the four damage skills. As for Constitution; because of the armor LP bonus, I can see why this was removed. But I DO like the LP boost ideas... no more worrying about being one-hit by something. It also allows you to feel more powerful.But then; if you don't like Health bonuses, I guess you don't use anything Nex drops, do you? I personally like everything... except that you aren't healed by the amount of life boost when you put armor on. THAT seems like a lot of wasted supplies just putting armor on. Edited by Ice the Great

I don't like the new health rework. I haven't used Nex armror because I have about 2mil in cash and maybe another million or two of items. Three if you push it. I would, however, use Torva, Virtus, etc if I could.I know the "old" combat formula(s). It (they) is(are) not overly simple, but it got the job done well. And I can figure out my level without a calculator, thank you very much. To doubt that I can do so is an insult. It is a relatively simple equation which a thirteen-year-old could figure out. And that is the target audience.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten around to doing social slayer. Perhaps later. Honestly, I think I'll just save the tasks I greatly dislike for social slayer. I just don't care all that much about it.Though the ability to use food on a partner would be cool. Perhaps I could arrange some sort of service. "Want fast Slayer xp? I can lengthen your trips with my food! For just a few ten thousands, your trips could be that much longer!"Who would sign up for that, I wonder?

I haven't gotten around to doing social slayer. Perhaps later. Honestly, I think I'll just save the tasks I greatly dislike for social slayer. I just don't care all that much about it.Though the ability to use food on a partner would be cool. Perhaps I could arrange some sort of service. "Want fast Slayer xp? I can lengthen your trips with my food! For just a few ten thousands, your trips could be that much longer!"Who would sign up for that, I wonder?
If it was a friend of mine, I'd probably do it for free. But that would be a fun service, especially if the guy with all the food could brig a Pack Yak full of more food.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play Runescape for a long time, then I moved on to WoW. But then WoW got boring as heck, and I don't play that anymore either. Now that they are updating Runescape's combat system I might come back. How does the action bar seem? I like action bars, makes fighting much funner, but how many spells, or abilities will it even support?

Hey how's it going. Law here.Just called to say I'm going for 99 ranged and doing so through slayer.
Nice job... but weren't you the first of us to max Slayer? Why use Slayer to max Ranged, unless you want to unlock all the option and/or profit?
Well yes, but I think it's the best option I have. I don't have enough money to chin all the wayto 99 so I might as well make some money this way. Also it breaks the monotomy by having to kill a variety of different monsters.And Flex, I cannot tell you that, I havn't played the beta, like, at all. :P

I'd go with summoning because it's more expensive and you need a lot of materials to train it. Normally it's faster than dungeoneering, yes, but that you can train on your own at any given time.AlsoR25w.pngCounting on getting 95 tomorrow.
Technically speaking... you *could,* in theory, do both. You can summon in Dungeoneering, but it wouldn't be as fast. I'd agree with Summ, but there's possibilities for probing the theory of Dungeon-grinding Summ.And grats Law. I wonder... will any of us ever get a Max cape? Edited by Ice the Great

I am actually leaning towards dungeoneering. Despite summoning's expense, I can gather charms by training slayer, bossing (rarely do that, actually), money-making combat, and general combat. Dungeoneering expirience, however, I can only gain by setting aside time and strictly training it AND it takes forever. Furthermore, teamgathering is a further pain.However, I have not been training either skill long, so I would appreciate it if you guys could explain your positions further.

Well, summoning is really expensive. Not only tertiaries which you can gather yourself, which is time-consuming, or buy from other players. Then there's the spirit shards which might seem cheap at first, but when you have to spend 25 coins on each, say, 50 shards which it takes to make a certain creature and then multiply by the amount of pouches you wish to make. And getting charms is a pain. I haven't bothered picking up any in god knows how long.Dungeoneering, while slow to solo, can be done with absolutely no equipments or anything. Doesn't cost anything, unless you want to buy leech floors.So I say summoning. In a game where money is a big part of the game, like RuneScape, then you should save where you can.

Well, summoning is really expensive. Not only tertiaries which you can gather yourself, which is time-consuming, or buy from other players. Then there's the spirit shards which might seem cheap at first, but when you have to spend 25 coins on each, say, 50 shards which it takes to make a certain creature and then multiply by the amount of pouches you wish to make. And getting charms is a pain. I haven't bothered picking up any in god knows how long.Dungeoneering, while slow to solo, can be done with absolutely no equipments or anything. Doesn't cost anything, unless you want to buy leech floors.So I say summoning. In a game where money is a big part of the game, like RuneScape, then you should save where you can.
Dungeoneering is also slow in a team. It's worse by yourself. Armadyl knows I can't afford to leech floors.Summoning can be expensive. I am a rather low leveled summoner, so I can't say what I'd save by using the insta-mil-xp on it. In essence, I'm wondering how long it would take to make the money required to train summoning. That time added to the time required to gather charms would have to be weighed against the time it would take me to dungeoneer.How many hours can I expect to spend going from 56 dungeoneering to 76?

Dungeoneering is also slow in a team. It's worse by yourself. Armadyl knows I can't afford to leech floors.Summoning can be expensive. I am a rather low leveled summoner, so I can't say what I'd save by using the insta-mil-xp on it.In essence, I'm wondering how long it would take to make the money required to train summoning. That time added to the time required to gather charms would have to be weighed against the time it would take me to dungeoneer.How many hours can I expect to spend going from 56 dungeoneering to 76?
Actually, you're wrong there. It's extremely fast with a good team. If you go to world 77 or 107(?) you can find some really good teams to help you out. Sure, it'll take some time, but summoning will take just as long, as well as a huge amount of money. How could 1m summoning exp not affect your summoning. That's saving millions of gp that you would have lost. I would use your 1m exp on summoning, dungeoneering is so much easier. 99 Summoning costs 100's of millions, so it could take a while at your level. But if you train your slayer to 99, you will have 99 in most of your combat skills (Probably not prayer, because that costs money) and enough charms to get you to at least 92 summoning. Plus you'll earn over 200m gp from 99 slayer. 99 slayer takes about 3 months if you work at it, so that shouldn't be a huge problem. Believe me, it's a much better option than earning the money from other ways and getting charms outside of slayer.56 to 76? Heck, I got from 55 to 73 in probably 10 hours, so I'd say 10-12 hours. But I leeched some, so it may be faster if you find a really good team.-Rez

56 to 76? Heck, I got from 55 to 73 in probably 10 hours, so I'd say 10-12 hours. But I leeched some, so it may be faster if you find a really good team.
Wow, really? Just ten hours? Sounds like summoning is the way to go then.As for slayer... oh geez. That skill has GOT to be the slowest in the game. I understand that I lose time at the bank (one of my major flaws is bank standing) but I understand how it would be important to train it.I like this font. I think I'll keep it.Congratulations on 96 ranged, Lawuser. Edited by Nujanii: Kanohi Master

I will probably get 99 within two weeks
I'm just going to interject here and say: yeesh, 94-96 in three days? I've been playing for almost eight years now and my highest skill is at 75. How on Earth do you level something so fast?
Two key factors, no-lifing and money. :P You can get like 300k exp an hour using red chinchompas at mummies or ape atoll. And it takes like 750k-1m exp per level at 94+ so that's about 2-3 hours per level. But he's fighting dragons with a cannon which gives you a relatively large exp rate per hour at his level. Not sure how much he's getting but, most likely something around 100-200k exp which puts in the no-lifing factor. :P-Rez

I'm just going to interject here and say: yeesh, 94-96 in three days? I've been playing for almost eight years now and my highest skill is at 75. How on Earth do you level something so fast?
Two key factors, no-lifing and money. :P You can get like 300k exp an hour using red chinchompas at mummies or ape atoll. And it takes like 750k-1m exp per level at 94+ so that's about 2-3 hours per level. But he's fighting dragons with a cannon which gives you a relatively large exp rate per hour at his level. Not sure how much he's getting but, most likely something around 100-200k exp which puts in the no-lifing factor. :P-Rez
Is cannoning cheaper than chimpchompas? Edited by Nujanii: Kanohi Master

Ah. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. :P I barely play at all, I'm poor, and I'm F2P (where there are far less options for skill advancement. Especially in ranging). Maybe I'll try no lifing during this short period I have off from school. :PAlso, it seems as if the game has been made significantly... easier since the last time I actually played (which has to have been several years ago). The runespan has made runecrafting one of the easiest skills to train, the 'add logs to fire' option has made firemaking much faster, and now we can pretty much teleport anywhere for free (which blew my mind when I found out I could). I dunno, just an observation.Lastly, does a BZP clan group exist? I thought one did at some point. Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Well, you see, I just happen to have a lot, a lot of free time where I am able to play.
I neither do chinchompas nor solely cannon black dragons. I train ranged along with slayer, which is to say I range all my slayer tasks and occationally I use my cannon. I have to make money in order to compensate for what I lose in form of cannonballs and potions, you know.

After EoC mage is going to be a lot less expensive, so I think I'll train that after EoC hits.In the mean time, what would you guys recommend I do to get my slayer up faster?(Preferably without using a cannon)
Slay. That's all I can say. Make sure to use your best slayer master and equivalent gear to each task. Plus doing Smoking Kills and any quest that gives you slayer exp and unlocks will be a bonus.-Rez

So, I can now confirm: Abberant Spectres are going to be the easiest slayer task EVER after the Combat update.So, the story goes like this: I hopped onto my old account when I heard the combat beta would be open to ALL the players for the weekend, since it has the better stats. I was instantly told that the account was eligible for 2 weeks of trial Membership. I popped that, banked, and hit the servers.After developing a pretty scary hybrid DPS/Tank setup involving a whip/shield and Bandos, (and 2-hitting Basilisks with said setup), I got an Abberant Spectres assignment. "They use magic and they stink," says Chaeldar. Bought a nose plug and decided to use Ranged for the assignment. After being informed that Spectres were weak to Thrown weapons, I picked up Dual-Wield Dragon Darts, Karil's armor (because I didn't have the Ranged level for Arma's), and (of course) Overloads, and headed over to the Slayer Tower.I was using Ricochet, Binding Shot, and Piercing Shot to three-shot spectres (or just those last two for a lucky two-shot). I was using Rapid Fire and Deadshot to ONE-shot them. They're life bars dropped by significant chunks if I so much as LOOKED at them. I brought a Terrorbird with Rocktail... I only used enough to empty the BoB's inventory. I started with 32, I left with 20, and the usage was a little excessive. Anyone with a decent Ranged level, good amounts of money, and an Ava's... will be sleeping through those assignments. Because when you have moderate-good stuff and you still kill 113 spectres in 30 minutes, you KNOW better people will wipe them.

Edited by Ice the Great

I'll have you know it also only takes one click of a button to get your cannon firing.
After you set it up, and once you reload it.But, then again, there's also the Ultimate "Momentum" under Constitution. No Adrenaline gain, but it DOES give an extreme boost to autoattack power. Good if you're grinding an assignment... like the blasted Mutated Zyglomites Chaeldar gave me yesterday.Also, if you use Water spells in the new system... you're going to DECIMATE Metal Dragons. Chaeldar gave me a task: 46 Bronze. I was one-shotting them with almost any given skill. Magic got the buff it DESPERATELY needed. It's actually FUN now.Speaking of, Chaeldar gave me more Bronze Deagons, only 36 this time. Maybe, when I'm done, I'll say hi to a Steel Dragon on the way out.