Runescape Thread 4

KayTee

It'll be great if the update on Tuesday actually works. =o

It won't. Not completely. For a "complete" success, bots would have to be gone forever. They won't. There will always be lazy people that want to set something up and win everything without lifting a finger. So long as they exist, bots will be created to do things for lazy players. All the Bot-makers have to do is find a way around this update. Bots will always exist.
I don't believe it'll work either, but the way Jagex put it, they're going to make botting straight up impossible. Although they implied it would only work on bots using some method called "reflection", and there's different ways for bots to bot. So, I guess that's the two percent that'll still work. But if the bots do get nerfed, and Jagex actually fixes the problem, unlikely, but let's play the what if game, then all botted prices are going to shoot up so much, and that's going to suck bad for everyone that didn't bot. I'm sort of on the edge with this supposed nerf. Jagex has put off this problem for so long, removing it instantly is going to have a major impact on anything directly or indirectly connected to botted items. If the shark and rocktail supply were suddenly nerfed, it would cost more to do anything with food. Boss hunting needs food, and I believe herbs are botted too. So potions will go up in price. This price change can result in the rise of boss drops, because people want to profit from their drops. I'm probably taking this example a little too far, but it's still a possibility.
More than a possibility. Potions, boss drops, coal and bars made with it (just about all of them), and other things like it will likely skyrocket, but think of this. Legitamate players will be able to rise to fill the gaps and make some decent money. If the prices reach intolerable levels, there would be a good opportunity for people to go and obtain the botted resources or do the botted activity themselves for more profit than they'd get now. In short, if items xyz could be obtained by anyone and are heavily botted, than if all bots were removed, there would be an opportunity for people to get item xyz and sell for good money. And I must say, it's about time some of these botted materials went up in price!

It won't. Not completely. For a "complete" success, bots would have to be gone forever. They won't. There will always be lazy people that want to set something up and win everything without lifting a finger. So long as they exist, bots will be created to do things for lazy players. All the Bot-makers have to do is find a way around this update. Bots will always exist.
I don't believe it'll work either, but the way Jagex put it, they're going to make botting straight up impossible. Although they implied it would only work on bots using some method called "reflection", and there's different ways for bots to bot. So, I guess that's the two percent that'll still work. But if the bots do get nerfed, and Jagex actually fixes the problem, unlikely, but let's play the what if game, then all botted prices are going to shoot up so much, and that's going to suck bad for everyone that didn't bot. I'm sort of on the edge with this supposed nerf. Jagex has put off this problem for so long, removing it instantly is going to have a major impact on anything directly or indirectly connected to botted items. If the shark and rocktail supply were suddenly nerfed, it would cost more to do anything with food. Boss hunting needs food, and I believe herbs are botted too. So potions will go up in price. This price change can result in the rise of boss drops, because people want to profit from their drops. I'm probably taking this example a little too far, but it's still a possibility.
More than a possibility. Potions, boss drops, coal and bars made with it (just about all of them), and other things like it will likely skyrocket, but think of this. Legitamate players will be able to rise to fill the gaps and make some decent money. If the prices reach intolerable levels, there would be a good opportunity for people to go and obtain the botted resources or do the botted activity themselves for more profit than they'd get now. In short, if items xyz could be obtained by anyone and are heavily botted, than if all bots were removed, there would be an opportunity for people to get item xyz and sell for good money. And I must say, it's about time some of these botted materials went up in price!
Sure, people will fill the bot gap. But they won't be as fast. Supply will drop, prices will go up, and nobody wants higher prices except the people selling.Then again, think of how much worse it'll get when Merchants start gobbling up the LIMITED supplies and doubling the price to make money. No one will be able to buy ANYTHING.So, for about the next year or so, you'd better count on getting all of your supplies yourself.

I don't know about that. Before free trade was rereleased, it was only certain items for a small amount of time which were affected, not every item at all times. Besides, back then there ware trade limits, which locked an item to it's current price. Merch clans or not, if the player price for a prayer potion is 10k, then I will most likely be able to buy it for 10k from a player wether or not the Grand Exchange price is 5k or 100k.

Sure, people will fill the bot gap. But they won't be as fast. Supply will drop, prices will go up, and nobody wants higher prices except the people selling. Then again, think of how much worse it'll get when Merchants start gobbling up the LIMITED supplies and doubling the price to make money. No one will be able to buy ANYTHING. So, for about the next year or so, you'd better count on getting all of your supplies yourself.
Now, no one really wants to cut yews and farm dragons all day. It's boring and repetitive. Bots don't care though. They're bots. With the sheer amount of bots, I don't think there will be enough people willing enough to actually get their own things to replace the bots. So for the few determined/not lazy people, they will be the sole supply. So yes, everyone better get ready to be self sufficient or deal with the high prices. And Ice, you still seem caught up on the "Merchants are bad" ideology. The average individual merchant has no power to do anything about the market. I say average because the non-average merchant, a very rich individual with 1bil+ worth, can essentially hold the majority of a market of items, and that is a bad thing, but there aren't too many of those people, and even less actually hording items. This happened with dragon bones a couple years ago before curses came out. I have no idea what happened to merchant clans, but those are bad. A couple hundred people, with a couple slightly above average people, can easily overcome a single non-average person. Not only that, but many individual merchants jumped on the bandwagon to take advantage of the buy out. The individual merchants did contribute to the buy outs, but they were doing what any person would do, take advantage of an opportunity to have a very large payout. Anyway, most of the merchant clan ranks/leaders dumped early, meaning they sold all the hoarded items a day or two before the actual dump. They had to be rich for this to work, so they basically stocked up before telling anyone, told everyone else, then dumped early. Everyone else just lost out. Anyway, individual merchants are ok. They don't mess up the economy and scam people at the same time. To Law, the Grand Exchange price, is price to buy at. It doesn't take into account player to player trade, but that's not as popular or convenient as the GE. So it's safe to assume the price for most items is the GE price. (I say most because most rares and new items are either over the trade limit or too volatile for the GE to keep up.) If something happens to prayer potions that makes them worth 100k (wat), then you'd better buy them for 100k otherwise people won't take you seriously. Unless of course you just meet a nice person, and they are willing to sell you prayer potions for 10k, even if they're worth 100. (Or they just don't keep up with prices and stuff.)

Sure, people will fill the bot gap. But they won't be as fast. Supply will drop, prices will go up, and nobody wants higher prices except the people selling. Then again, think of how much worse it'll get when Merchants start gobbling up the LIMITED supplies and doubling the price to make money. No one will be able to buy ANYTHING. So, for about the next year or so, you'd better count on getting all of your supplies yourself.
Now, no one really wants to cut yews and farm dragons all day. It's boring and repetitive. Bots don't care though. They're bots. With the sheer amount of bots, I don't think there will be enough people willing enough to actually get their own things to replace the bots. So for the few determined/not lazy people, they will be the sole supply. So yes, everyone better get ready to be self sufficient or deal with the high prices. And Ice, you still seem caught up on the "Merchants are bad" ideology. The average individual merchant has no power to do anything about the market. I say average because the non-average merchant, a very rich individual with 1bil+ worth, can essentially hold the majority of a market of items, and that is a bad thing, but there aren't too many of those people, and even less actually hording items. This happened with dragon bones a couple years ago before curses came out. I have no idea what happened to merchant clans, but those are bad. A couple hundred people, with a couple slightly above average people, can easily overcome a single non-average person. Not only that, but many individual merchants jumped on the bandwagon to take advantage of the buy out. The individual merchants did contribute to the buy outs, but they were doing what any person would do, take advantage of an opportunity to have a very large payout. Anyway, most of the merchant clan ranks/leaders dumped early, meaning they sold all the hoarded items a day or two before the actual dump. They had to be rich for this to work, so they basically stocked up before telling anyone, told everyone else, then dumped early. Everyone else just lost out. Anyway, individual merchants are ok. They don't mess up the economy and scam people at the same time. To Law, the Grand Exchange price, is price to buy at. It doesn't take into account player to player trade, but that's not as popular or convenient as the GE. So it's safe to assume the price for most items is the GE price. (I say most because most rares and new items are either over the trade limit or too volatile for the GE to keep up.) If something happens to prayer potions that makes them worth 100k (wat), then you'd better buy them for 100k otherwise people won't take you seriously. Unless of course you just meet a nice person, and they are willing to sell you prayer potions for 10k, even if they're worth 100. (Or they just don't keep up with prices and stuff.)
What you said I agree with. Self sufficiency is something that all of us should be acquainted with. There was a time, after all without a GE! We'll simply have to rough it before legitamate players start providing a steady supply. I'll probably be one of the first to start harvesting raw materials to sell, depending on what's most profitable. Of course, this all may be baseless chatter. It is possible that we could have hundreds of bots again within a week or two and be right back where we started!

What you said I agree with. Self sufficiency is something that all of us should be acquainted with. There was a time, after all without a GE! We'll simply have to rough it before legitamate players start providing a steady supply. I'll probably be one of the first to start harvesting raw materials to sell, depending on what's most profitable. Of course, this all may be baseless chatter. It is possible that we could have hundreds of bots again within a week or two and be right back where we started!
That's where my money is going. Jagex has always said their bot detection was flawless, and they've been banning bots left and right. I'm completely ok with their bot detecting being terrible. If you really think about it, it's hard to differentiate between bots and human players. The only problem I have is their straight up lying to everyone, and knowing full well that everyone else knows they're lying.

You say that as if you haven't started yet. If I were still playing RS right now, I'd already be setting required systems in motion.At any rate, if you have the resources, I suggest you empty your wishlist before Tuesday. After that, you'll be lucky to be able to buy anything.

You say that as if you haven't started yet. If I were still playing RS right now, I'd already be setting required systems in motion. At any rate, if you have the resources, I suggest you empty your wishlist before Tuesday. After that, you'll be lucky to be able to buy anything.
Good point, I never thought of that...

Good heavens I hope so. They don't seem to have done anything about the bots, so it only is logical that they've been planning something this whole time. After all, they said that they've been fighting bots, couldn't tell us a thing, and no apparent action appeared to have been taken. It just seems to me that they're serious this time. However serious, though, I still think that bots will find a way to return.

Good heavens I hope so. They don't seem to have done anything about the bots, so it only is logical that they've been planning something this whole time. After all, they said that they've been fighting bots, couldn't tell us a thing, and no apparent action appeared to have been taken. It just seems to me that they're serious this time. However serious, though, I still think that bots will find a way to return.

So long as there are players too lazy to do things themselves, there will be bots.Laziness, by the way, is human nature. Bots will persist.

Well, Jagex is saying that bots won't be able to operate at all. Some will, and most botter programmers are pretty persistent and creative. They'll find a way around it. And this may be outdated, but most botters are gold farmers. I can't say with certainty about the current state of bots because people know that getting away with botting is easy, so they do it too. So maybe there are more actual player botters than gold farmers.

*Hopes that, in a few years, prices will start to drop back down to the glory days* Meh, I can dream right? Though I do honestly miss when anything over 25m was considered fairly wealthy, and anybody worth a bil was practically idolized. The problem all started with the PvP changes and the GE with limited trade, but at least it was intended to be for a greater cause. Personally I'm glad they brought Free Trade back, and that's the only reason I'm back to Rs- It's more fun and interesting without those limits :3 But I digress; come what may Tuesday, I anticipate and hope that a sizeable chunk of the bots in-game get vaporized, and that the population doesn't rise back to that level for at least a year or two, if ever again. Even if they really only manage to kill, say, 50% it's still a vast improvement and the game will be significantly easier for us who don't buy/sell everything whilst relying on the prices that botting has given us :P I'm one of those people who generally supply myself and do it myself, so I'm not exactly opposed to a temporary skyrocket in prices until people adjust to a somewhat more botless society.

I haven't played this for a while but I still keep in touch with game updates. I think Jagex does have bots beaten on this one. They're being incredibly, incredibly confident and seeing as how they're an established and experienced company I think they aren't underestimating anything here. They legitimately have something that will essentially end the bot problem.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

Yeah, it sounds like it's either a very limited, selective population of bots that don't use reflection technology (or whatever it's called >.>), or that non-reflection programs are more difficult to design properly and as such I'm fairly confident that bots will struggle for quite some time to become effective at swaying the game's flow again. Plus, whether they succeed to the level they're aiming for or not, we get some pretty sweet perks this week just for the occasion, eh?

I hope this update makes my ill-advised decision to invest in 50k unfinished ranarrs for Bonus XP weekend (which I haven't sold yet) become not such a bad decision after all.

The following statement is false. The following statement is false. The previous two statements are true. The previous three statements are false. This statement is false. The previous two statements are true. The truthfulness of the second statement is inversely proportional to the truthfulness of the fifth statement. This is totally not confusing at all. This signature contains no false information. All of the preceding sentences are false.

I think they'll at least be closer to success than failure with this one. They already did something they haven't -been- doing with all the other pledges and statements: They admitted that it was a serious issue, and that they weren't being as open as they should with the playerbase about the game's issues. By going to those lengths to admit these things and then following up with this? I'm going to back Jagex on this one. ^_^

I love how this came on Tuesday. It's like it's straight out of Star Trek.

Pavel Chekov: How big is your medical staff?John Harriman: The medical staff... doesn't arrive till Tuesday.Pavel Chekov: [Muttering in exasperation in Russian] [gestures to two reporters] You and you, you've just become nurses. Let's go.

Kirk: You left spacedock without a tractor beam?Harriman: It doesn't arrive until Tuesday.

Kirk: Load torpedoes, prepare to fire on my command.Ensign Sulu: Captain, we don’t have any torpedoes.Kirk: *Looks at Harriman* Don’t tell me, Tuesday.

Nothing important EVER arrives before Tuesday... Edited by Ice the Great

Of course all the main Bot makers will be saying that their Bot's will be up and running again in hours/days/after their Mom's finished bathing them - they are desperately trying to calm their customers down to prevent them from leaving or worse yet charging back all their payments!

Sounds legit, since they're acting way too cocky atm.
yooo_daaaawg.png

First BzP'er to own Vezon and Fenrakk!

Apparently Jagex is in the midst of a major lawsuit with one of the main botmakers. They sent out emails to everyone they have detected using that bot and said that they could be sued as well for a decent amount of money. Jagex really brought the house this time.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

Anyways, I think I should announce that on the night of the 29th October I'll host a my (in)famous HALLOWEEN PARTY (2011).yycd3.gifyycd3.gifyycd3.gifWHERE: MY (kayteen7's) HOUSE, RIMMINGTON, WORLD 67WHEN: 29th OCTOBER (around 5PM eastern coast 11pm denmark, 10pm GMT)WHY: yycd3.gifWHAT TO BRING: PARTY STUFF, COSTUMES, WEAPONS, BRONZE ARMOUR, DDS, OR WHATEVERWHAT WILL HAPPEN: PARTY AT MY (level 99!!) HOUSE, SHENANIGANS, PEE-KAYING I'll add more later if needed. :squish:

BRING YOUR DDSBECAUSE THIS HALLOWEEN WE'LL GO P-K-ING*yes, after the initial house party (bring partystuff) we will enter the wilderness with dragon daggers (poisones + +) or your favored comba gear and kill everybodyBring your friend, bring your Jack O' Lantern mask, bring your most expensive items*, bring full bronze or bring nothing at all!All that matters is skulls, having a good time and pvp loot (* Kay takes no responsibility for lost items, weaponry, spells or dignity, no drop party will be held, bring your own spells) Edited by KayTee
yooo_daaaawg.png

First BzP'er to own Vezon and Fenrakk!

I will be coming on my brother's account. I haven't had a good halloween party in years so DON'T DISAPPOINT ME PEOPLE. no seriously everyone should come everyone. If you don't know who I am then I don't know who you are. If you come to the halloween party then you may be graced with my presence. so do it really

Edited by WildKard
anti_mind_virus.png

I will be coming on my brother's account. I haven't had a good halloween party in years so DON'T DISAPPOINT ME PEOPLE. no seriously everyone should come everyone. If you don't know who I am then I don't know who you are. If you come to the halloween party then you may be graced with my presence. so do it really

I can't... I don't have my account anymore. But whatevs.