Greatest Mask Design

toatitan

I really do think all three versions of the Ignika used in the storyline were pretty great. :PThe one that was never released in a set reminded me fondly of the Kaukau, and of course it had horns (always an interesting thing on Kanohi). The Vezon-fused version was wonderfully tall... I don't recall any taller mask than that. And of course the last one is a classic design.I actually liked both the original Kaukau and the adaptive-armor Kaukau Nuva, for different reasons of course. The former I thought was just another great design, and the second looked very interestingly technological.The Kualsi and Iden were also interesting, and I'm sure there's more I can't think of at the moment.~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r::~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

I've always thought the Kraahkan was so different and creative, I love it. But I love how so very pretty the Mask of Life is. The original Hau was brilliant in its simplicity, I think, so those three are definitely my favorites.Close behind them is Antroz's mask, the Jutlin, it's just so perfectly vicious looking.

rahkshi_symbol.png

The original 12 were pretty well designed, I've been a big fan of the noble masks lately. I've always been a fan of the flip side of the Kraakhan, and the Avohkii too.In the later years, Metru Nui on, I was a big fan of Lhikan's Hau- it still somewhat had some feel of the old masks, yet transited into something new. I've liked the possibilities that the Olmak has brought on more than the actual mask :DThinking about it, yes, the masks did radically change once we left Mata Nui. While the diversity was good to have, it showed that Bionicle was growing up?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got three.Kanohi Hau - It's the symbol of the franchise, what's not to like?Kanohi Mahiki - As a Mask of Illusions, I just think the shape worked quite well, it was sleek and simple.Kanohi Rode - As the Mask of an Order of Mata Nui member, it would have to look very noble and imposing, and the Rode pulls it off perfectly.

The Writer Formerly Known as Zeal
BZPRPG Profiles
Ghosts of Bara Magna Profiles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's see... my favorite mask designs? We'll see how many I can find pictures for...2001: Great Hau ( :hau:), Noble Huna ( :huna:), Great Pakari ( :pakari:), Great Kakama ( :kakama:), Noble Ruru ( :ruru:), and, of course, the Great Akaku ( :akaku:).2002: Hau Nuva (it expresses the Hau's general shape in a new, ridged form - :haunu:), The Miru Nuva ( :mirunu:), and the classic Vahi ( :vahi:).2003: Both the Avohkii and the Krahkann, neither of which have their own picutres in this forum's system.2004: The Great Huna (which, sadly, does not have an "emoticon" image either) and Lhikan's Hau (no image either, for some reason).2005: I liked the Kualisi... which was the only new mask shape released that year. :P2006: I liked both of this year's forms of the Ignika - the golden shape seen in VNOLG and the flip-mask-like edition fused to Vezon's skull. I also liked Matoro's Iden, and2007: This year's new Ignika design was very well-made, and Maxilos's "Hau" headpiece was a very nice way to reference the original design - it was very high-tech in appearance, but maintained the basic design of the original.2008: ...I liked Antroz's Jutlin, Vamprah's Avsa, the return of the Krahkann, and the vehicle-redesigned Kanohi. I also liked the fact that 2007's Ignika finally had a set piece.2009: Well... uh... I liked the Ignika still, I guess? :P2010: Tahu's new Hau piece was nice since the series moved away from original-Kanohi-compatible heads, and I liked that the silver Avokhii used in 2003 Teridax finally showed up as a mask. Nothing much else to say here.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go with all of the original Great Kanohi, as well as both versions of the Huna, Faxon, Arthron, Kualsi, Kraahkan, and the Vitruvian man Ignika. Long list, I know, but if I had to pick one it would have to be the original Hau simply because it was basically the face of Bionicle.

My Brickshelf and my Flickr
Shouldn't we read the instructions?

Do I look like a sissy?

~ Calvin and Hobbes

Original Hau, Lhikan Hau, Ignika, Avohkii, Kraahkan, Original Pakari, Huna, and the Kiril are probably my favorites. Sorry about the miserable spelling.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Almost certainly the Hau. My only criticism of it is that it never looked like a defensively-oriented mask to me. Nonetheless, it is iconic and looks excellent on almost any Toa or toa-style titan MOC. Of course, Tahu was my first toa, and how iconic the mask is could be biasing me here. Still, it would be my choice if I had to pick one. Lhikan's version is pretty cool, too.The Kakama is great in terms of looking appropriate for its function without being too blunt about it (eg the Kaukau).The Kraahkan was really cool for introducing the double-mask thing, and the "animal" mode looks great. I guess the more normal mode is pretty cool too (though it definitely looks like a squid head, though perhaps that was intentional).The Kualsi was very cool, too. The low hanging design is real nice, and it is suitably shaped for a fast movement-related mask.

Edited by th!nk

Oh, the Kraahkan. There are plenty of other good ones out there, but the Mask of Shadows will always be my personal favourite by far for several reasons:First of all, it finally gave a face to the main villain of the storyline after years of waiting for an image that wasn't guaranteed to come to begin with.Secondly, the curves and angles make it clear that the wearer isn't heroic, respected, or likable... no, this mask just oozes evil. Third, it's got that awesome flip-feature. I'll admit I'm not too crazy about the "regular" look when worn upright, but the movie edition fixes that problem nicely. Although the worn-downwards look is still the best way to display it, I think, as it gives Makuta those sinister slanted eyeholes and the tusky things off to the sides.