LEGO TBRPG Construction & Design

Sisen

I don't know. I could definitely find a use for Dr. Cyborg and UlTech. XERRD wasn't as necessary to my planning. Speaking of which, Jackson or Brikman, any idea when this RPG can be posted?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

If I may, I might as well throw in my input concerning the two in-development LEGO Universe RPGs. From my understanding, most former LEGO Universe players, as well as those who would have been interested in the game had it not met such an untimely demise, would essentially like to pick up where the original LEGO Universe left off, and only then from there, much like LEGO Universe, the RPG could receive periodic updates to include new worlds and new quests as the hosts see fit, which is what I see in the RPG proposed by Jacks and Brikman McStudz. To start off the RPG right away with such a drastic change from the original, such as the corruption of Paradox and Venture League in sonyaxe's RPG, might put off some would-be players.

Back in the days of LEGO General Discussion RPGs, I actually saw that one criticism of Dino Attack RPG was that it was no longer focused on Dino Attack and the players were fighting Maelstrom instead of dinosaurs. Granted, this is a bit of Did Not Do The Research, since the critics were not actually DARPG players and thus did not know that the Maelstrom's involvement in the RPG was directly related to fighting the dinosaurs, but this just goes to show that if you stray too far from the source material, you run the risk of losing your audience.

As a former LEGO RPG and LEGO Universe player, if I were to hypothetically join a LEGO Universe RPG, I would be interested in playing as Captain Greybeard the Venture League Buccaneer, who was my primary character in the original game (not the same Greybeard who appeared in the Dino Attack RPG). Venture League suits Captain Greybeard the best, so he'd be unlikely to be a member of Sentinel or Assembly. However, if the entire Venture League has been corrupted as it is in sonyaxe's RPG, then that means that Captain Greybeard cannot be a hero in this RPG and would be immediately branded a villain. If I had a Paradox character, the same would apply. But I don't want Captain Greybeard to be a villain; I want him to be a hero. This would make me less likely to join sonyaxe's RPG. Since Venture League and Paradox are still heroic factions in Jacks and Brikman's RPG, I would be more inclined to join that one.

Although, if Jacks and Brikman feel the need to start off with "something completely different" for their own RPG, I would recommend making Stromlings a playable faction. I have a feeling that the corruption of Venture League and Paradox in sonyaxe's RPG is to give players the chance to play as the villain if they so choose, but the simpler way to go is simply to keep Venture League and Paradox as heroic factions while allowing players to play as Stromlings. And the plus side of playable Stromlings over corrupted Nexus Force factions is that Venture League and Paradox can still be heroic, but Stromling players can choose to play as "fallen" Venture League or Paradox (as well as Sentinel or Assembly) members. This allows for more choices in character creation, without going into the "too many choices" pit that the Pirates RPG and Castle RPG proposed by Atton Rand and imperial officer in the old LEGO General Discussion RPGs Topic fell into, since it can still be easily divided into two generalized factions: "good" Nexus Force and "evil" Maelstrom.

Of course, seeing as I'm unofficially retired from LEGO RPGs, everything that I said about joining a LEGO RPG must be taken as theoretical, and also remember that not everyone has the same tastes as me. But, I figured that, while I'm still here, I might as well toss my two cents into the wishing well and hope that said well isn't actually the Kakariko Village well inhabited by a Dead Hand that wants to eat my face.

Also, I must also throw in my support for the notion that LEGO RPGs do not need to be connected to the Dino Attack RPG. The RPG must be able to stand on its own merit, not on that of a previous successful RPG. While the Dino Attack references might appeal to former DARPG players, they will also turn off those who did not participate in DARPG. This reached a ridiculous extreme in Atton Rand's proposed Castle RPG, which literally had the plot of "In 2010, these castles and kingdoms will be wrecked by dinosaurs, but until then, have fun!" Remember that, while Dino Attack RPG did have Alpha Team: Mission Deep Freeze RPG to thank for its early success, I felt that Dino Attack RPG was only truly successful when it stopped trying to be Alpha Team RPG and started to be its own thing, starting around the beginning of the Goo Caverns story arc. Also, while Alpha Team RPG: Ogel's Last Stand was intended to bridge the gap between Alpha Team: Mission Deep Freeze RPG and Dino Attack RPG, it felt rather odd to see most of the cast as "the cast of Dino Attack RPG, who all just happened to be Alpha Team agents!"

" I have a feeling that the corruption of Venture League and Paradox in sonyaxe's RPG is to give players the chance to play as the villain if they so choose, but the simpler way to go is simply to keep Venture League and Paradox as heroic factions while allowing players to play as Stromlings. And the plus side of playable Stromlings over corrupted Nexus Force factions is that Venture League and Paradox can still be heroic, but Stromling players can choose to play as "fallen" Venture League or Paradox (as well as Sentinel or Assembly) members. This allows for more choices in character creation, without going into the "too many choices" pit that the Pirates RPG and Castle RPG proposed by Atton Rand and imperial officer in the old LEGO General Discussion RPGs Topic fell into, since it can still be easily divided into two generalized factions: "good" Nexus Force and "evil" Maelstrom."I actually agree with this well thought out explanation. This would allow more diversity, because you could be a fallen Sentenial too. I now give my support to brikmans LURPG over mine.-sonyaxeEdit: the only thing to be careful about would be to have too many "good" players, and their numbers would overwhelm the "evil" players, or vice versa. Maybe have them flip a coin...?

Edited by sonyaxe

Well, it now seems that we universally support Jackson and Brikman's RPG. PeabodySam articulated it well.

It was just a thought bringing in XERRD, but Dr. Cyborg and UlTech are not tethered to any one game, so they can be brought in.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

Well, both TC01 and PeaSam managed to eloquently express exactly how I feel on the subject of referencing other RPGs, whereas I barely managed to put it into words. :Psonyaxe, given that we would only use two ranks in the LURPG, neither of which would be based on equipment (how your character looks and what gear they use is much less significant in a text-based medium than a visual medium), you'd certainly be able to recreate him here. He would just be referred to as "Rank 1" (or whatever term we settle on) until promotion, regardless of his weaponry.I am currently away for the holidays, so internet access is infrequent and limited, but I will be back home around the second or third of January, and I think we'd be able to get the LURPG started then. Of course, I haven't heard from Brikman in a while, so he may be in the same sort of situation as I am.

Edited by Jacks

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Woo-hoo! RPG startup in January! Also, while everyone's here reading this, there is an Alien Conquest RPG that can be joined! ;) [/shamelessplug]

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

In my opinion, trying to work stuff like that into a text-based RPG would be extremely hard. Sure, you can say you have a tool called the fantastic pilum, but just say it is powerful instead of saying it has certain damage dealt, my advice would be.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

I can't wait to have an LURPG! Just two questions, first, in the Jackson Lake/Brikman suggestion, would we be able to have Stromling characters like PeabodySam suggested? Second, could I have a character that is partially corrupted by the Maelstrom like Wisp Lee, but is fighting it?

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

But could I start off with my gear from the game, or would I have to find/earn it in the RPG?

[endquote]

You can start out with whatever; clothing, weapons, etc. The only weapons I think might be off-limits to Rank 2/Elite would be the Valiant Weapons. Maybe.

Would we be able to have Stromling characters like PeabodySam suggested?

[endquote]

As NPCs, sure. As primary characters, I don't know. We initially decided against it, but I'm slowly changing my mind and have a few ideas that may be discussed with Jacks.

Could I have a character that is partially corrupted by the Maelstrom like Wisp Lee, but is fighting it?

[endquote]

Of course.

Just putting it out there, how much would you guys want to play a Chima RPG?

I know it would have to wait for Chima to actually come out and provide us with more information, but there's already potential. For one, it's not like Ninjago where it's kinda hard to be on the good side due to there only being 5 Ninja, there's lots of room in the tribes for one to be 'yours'. Second, unless Chima proves this wrong somehow, it looks like it wouldn't be hard to have things set up in a way to have all-out-war, with alliances between the tribes being made and broke every-so often. And third,

Who doesn't want to be an anthro lion/wolf/gorilla/eagle/crocodile/raven with vehicles and a way to unleash a huge spirit-warrior-thing?

:P

That's all.

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

Ahem. I think this is your answer.

*various NPC and PC commentary*

The "Primary Character" is your main character that, at this moment, is apart of the Nexus Force. He/She's intended to be your number one character.

NPCs, in the case, refer to as "Non-Primary Character", simply put, characters that are not your primary character. At this point and time, they can take up Faction specialty roles or be scientists, guards, recruiters, etc. working for the faction (like the various Non-Playable Characters in LEGO Universe.) They also could be the pirates, ninjas, astronauts, knights, etc. that inhabit worlds like Gnarled Forest and Forbidden Valley. They can also be Stromlings of any type.

NPCs, while not your Primary Character, can be developed to be as complex or as interesting as your PC. I think what I'm getting at is that your Primary character is your "main" character and NPCs are "supporting cast" that you can give as much detail and thoughts to as Primary Character, only being that they are not your main character. You can still write from their point-of-view and so on.

Though as I write this, I may being willing to let Primary Characters have any role in a faction as long as they are apart of the Nexus Force and apart of a faction instead of limiting it to the Faction specialties.

I think I addressed everything so far, but keep the suggestions and comments coming.

;)

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

Well, I'm finally back home, so if Brikman is ready, we will probably post the thread this weekend. I'll tentatively say Friday night, or thereabouts.Also, Canis, I also support this. I've always thought Ninjago would make a good RPG.

Edited by Jacks

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

About the possible Chima game, I have two things to say. First, I think that tribe alliances should be able to change, instead of always having the same alliances the official sets have. That would just make the game more fun and real, in my opinion. Second, the three tribes not released in set form (Gorilla, Rhino and Bear) should be included.

On another note, I have begun work on my Ninjago RPG.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

...Well, this is awkward.The reason the LURPG is not up yet is as follows: Because we in this subforum have become such an isolated, self-sufficient community, until the last minute both Brikman and I...kind of forgot that RPGs need moderator approval. :P So that's what we're waiting on now. Sit tight, because it is coming.

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Progress? No. Updates? Yes.As it turns out, I am dumb twice over. :PThe years in LGD got me so accustomed to seeking approval from the person whose name is listed at the top of the subforum that I sent the PM to Than the Moa, not realizing until just a few minutes ago that he doesn't approve RPGs here. I headdesk'd a little at my own lack of observance.So I've resubmitted it through the proper channels, and hopefully we'll only have to wait a few days at most.

Edited by Jacks

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Pardon me for laughing when I saw your post. In the meantime, I am eagerly awaiting the RPG for something to play that I don't have to run!

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

So, I've got a quick question for those interested in the Chima RPG: Would you rather have it set back a thousand years before the peace time, around the time-frame of the current-storyline, or after?

I'm leaning towards before, because we don't really know what's going to happen in the story currently. Thus, during or after would have to be vague/AU.

What's your opinion?

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

Personally, I think that having it set a 1,000 years before peace time would be a great idea. This way alliances could shift, and the conflict would not have to be about CHI. It could be about land or some other thing.

On my Ninjago RPG, I have worked on it and am ready to post it, but I will wait until the LURPG is up and running.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?