Comedy Discussion and Planning Topic

MT Zehvor

Terrible name, I know, but I couldn't come up with anything better at the time.Anyways, the Comedic Federation, or the CF, is a new moderator-approved group that's goal is to restore a level of popularity to the comedy forum, which has been declining rapidly from my point of view.It plans to do this in several ways:Help advertise new comedies that may otherwise have been ignored.Host shows awarding the best comedies, characters, and the likes.Create a team of comedy reviewers that will review any comedy and recommend especially good ones.Facilitate more comedy contests. Contests have to be run by moderators, so while we cannot actually run the contests ourselves, hopefully we can increase the amount of contests every year.Host Comedy Expos every half year or so where comedy writers can display what they've been working on.If reviewing other comedies interests you, or being a part of these expos or award shows does, then I encourage you to join the group by posting here or PMing me. If you have any questions, I invite you to PM any me or any one of the co-leaders.One final note: Every week we will advertise a specific comedy, our "Comedy of the Week." Until we get a review team assembled, this will be simply done by request.And I will let everyone know when the review team is assembled. Like reviewing comedies? We could use you. :PCo-Leaders:MyselfiBrow(currently goes by Kermit the Pyro)Lewa0111(currently goes by Lewa011Nuva)ManiacToaLacoMembers:Purple BouncyCount BleckJL1223 XHuberttent163phantokafishers64InspirationCCC Links:Main Post-MT

Edited by Toa Zehvor MT
  • Upvote 1

XPufEB3.png?1

Sign me up. I have noticed the Comedy forum's (...along with Mad House's...) decline in popularity, especially since the downtime...So, I would reccomend A2, but since Hubert beat me to the generous kindness, I'm going to be revoltingly selfish and say It's a Mad House (which I am posting a new chapter of today. Missing Tuesday wasn't a mistake, I waited to post the start of a two-part chapter today to celebrate my 300th post...which this post was...dang....301st?).

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

Excellent to see this is getting off the ground finally!I honestly can't think of any recommendations other than those that have already been said. :P:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Hmmm. Erm, Add me please?Even though I'm a bit new.Well, if you don't count the massive BZP is Down - time, I'm not really that new.K?Also, for recommendation....um......A2 = Said.IAMH = Said.My thing = Very inactive at times. No.So, I guess I'm recommending ManiacToaLaco's Transonicle 3.Okay. Done.But not quite.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

As of this moment I'm going to announce myself as Head of Reviews. My reason for this is that I was asked by Jalina (former co-host of the CCC) to host the CCC (Comedies Critics Club) if it returned, and as we will be reviewing comedies here, I'll probably run the CCC from within here. Hubert, if you'd like to pm me, we could start working stuff out for the new CCC for what we'll keep, change, remove, or add.-ibrow

I like the name, guys. Star Trek for the win. :)

I wish to recommend Useless BZP Junk That You Must Have!, seeing as it's one of the only comedies I've actually followed closely.

And by the way, that's by Toa of Nerds.I would like to volunteer my reviewing skills to the cause.And I have recommendations. I would say "Fun with Taka and Tahu" and/or the "How to be a Hero" and "How to be a Villain" series, but they are all pretty much dead. Along with my own comedy, which I will be finishing shortly. But here's a few:A Comedy with Less than Three Hundred words But A Lot of Pizza by Chaos DralcaxAsk Hapori Tohu! by cooldynamyteproductions - Little short, but it's Hapori Tohu.Goldishell and The Three Matoran by Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith The Bionicle Channel by Baron Von Nebula Edited by fishers64

Wow, this got pinned? Even better. I like the idea so far, and really, the only thing I have to say is: Comment on new topics. Few things help a first time writer more than getting actual feedback, or a response even, to their stories.Of course, I'm assuming most of you know that. Or atleast, I hope ya do.MTL

The CF is now accepting comedies to be reviewed! If you wish to have a comedy reviewed, stick a link in here.One of our esteemed critics will get to it.Anyways I'm going to start delegating people to different positions soon: For the moment, iBrow's the head of the new CCC.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

The Comedies Critics Club (Banner Needed)Hello, and welcome to the Comedy Critics Club section of the Comedic Federation!Note: Please, read this entire post before requesting to be a critic or requesting a review!We all know that feeling: You’ve just completed your best comedy to date. It’s your masterpiece, your crowning achievement, a tale that will go down in history! Your name will be mentioned with Togariku, Fresh Makuta of Bel-Air, and Bionicle Guru!So you post it.And… no one reviews it. :(But don’t panic- that’s where we come in.The purpose of the Comedies Critics Club is to allow any author of a comedy to get a review for said comedy. With oh, so many members on BZPower, and more coming every day, it is no surprise that many great comedies are overlooked and don't get many – if any – good reviews.As I'm sure many of you know, most posts in comedies are bits of spam-filled praise. Well, this club is designed to give in-depth reviews to comedies, giving good feedback, and tips to improve. A small group of members have come together in this club to offer their time to review your comedies. All you authors have to do is post here with a link to your comedy asking for a review, and one will be given [after you read the whole first post, of course!]. However, it must be understood that everyone here is human, and people do have lives, contrary to popular belief. Do not fret if we’re a little late in getting to you!

Guidelines for Requets (Banner Needed)All authors [and critics] must adhere to Comedies Forum Standards as outlined by the Forum Leader. Neither myself, nor any of the critics are responsible for any comedies being closed because they violated one of BZPower’s rules. We go to your comedy upon request to review, not to reprimand or arm-chair moderate.Request limit ~ At this time, there is a limit of five chapters per review request and authors may request only one review at a given time.Civility ~ We will not tolerate any rudeness towards any of our staff. Also, do not start spamming this topic with complaints of “My comedy hasn't been reviewed yet!” and so on. Additionally, do not PM any critics along the same lines [or myself, for that matter]. This may, and most likely will, be considered harassment, and you will be reported to the proper authorities and taken care of. Not to mention we will never review your comedy. Please, no spamming in this topic. If you see an error, or it has been a while and no one has reviewed your comedy, you may politely PM myself asking whatever it is you want to ask. Make sure, however, that it has been at least a week since you requested a review. Of course, if we made a mistake when adding your comedy to the list, feel free to PM me, or post in this topic politely, pointing out the error.Comedies only ~ No, we will not review your Short Story, or Epic, no matter how good they are. End of story.Comedy Size ~ Your comedy does not need to be finished, nor does it have to be past the first chapter. It's your choice when you want a review, or how much you want to be reviewed. Your comedy can be in any state when you request a review.Back-Seat Reviewing ~ We've all heard the term “back-seat driving”. This is what happens when a passenger in your car [if you drive, of course] starts telling you what lane to turn into, when to brake, when to accelerate, etc. It can get really annoying. Back-seat reviewing is the same idea, where writers explicitly tell us how to do our job. We're here for you, but we also know what we're doing.So please, don't tell us how your want your comedy reviewed. If you have a preference, you may explain such in your own topic. However, whether or not the critic reviewing your Comedy takes such into account, the Comedies Critics Club cannot be blamed. We're writing reviews how we feel will help you best. Only if the review you receive goes against the BZPower rules do you have the option of reporting such grievances to me [ibrow/Kermit the Frog], the Head, or the Forum Leaders of the comedy forum [currently: Hahli Husky and McSmeag]. If you have a problem with your review, please PM me and I will review your situation.Favoritism ~ Writers may not request that a specific critic review his or her comedy. A critic will be assigned to your comedy, based on his or her availability at that given time. If you don’t like the critic assigned, tough- we’re all hardworking people, and we’re dedicating our time so that the authors of BZP get recognition. All critics are either handpicked by myself, or have undergone heavy scrutiny and screening. We have full faith in them.Begging ~ It is not alright for an author to beg for a review. I understand that you may not get reviews, or if you do all you get are reviews filled with spam, but that does not mean you are allowed to beg and spam. Don't give us that. Just post saying you'd like a review [following the guidelines below], and one will be given. This follows under the rule of Civility. If we catch any wind of begging, your comedy will most likely not be reviewed.Requesting a Review (Banner Needed)

Copy and paste the following form into your post, adding in the necessary information:

[/b][url=(your comedy url)]Comedy Title[/url]Author:Status of your comedy: Beginning/In Progress/Finished.Chapters to be reviewed:
You must link to your comedy. Do not say 'It's in my sig'. Your request will be ignored if you do. Then, you must put your name under the 'author' section. After that, please choose one of the options for your status. If your comedy is just a few chapters and you plan to write more, put Beginning. If it's more that than, put In Progress. If it's finished, put Finished. Then list how many chapters you would like to be reviewed. For example: Chapters to be reviewed: Chapters 2-4, 7. Also, if your comedy is pages long, and has many chapters, don't expect us to review all of them. Choose a few, and list those- I would recommend including the first chapter. Due to time restraints for our staff, we are only accepting FIVE chapters at a time.General Rules (Banner Needed)I will be checking over each and every review, to assure that is of the appropriate quality. If I find one which does not give enough insight, then I will PM that critic asking them to edit their post and give them pointers how to improve.We value quality as a very high priority, and if you find that we have not performed to the best of our abilities, please, don’t hesitate to PM me.The Review Staff (Banner Needed)The Head is not assigned comedies to review.The HeadName: iBrowPosition: Head of ReviewsWhat I Look For: The quality of the plot, the quality, realism, humour, and diversity of the characters, spelling and grammar, and other general factors.Other: PM me if you have any questions, comments, concerns, complaints, etc. about the club or if you wish to become a Critic.CriticsName: fishers64Position: CriticWhat I Look For: Hilarity and substanceOther: Cheese is bad. Pie is worse. Avoid them. Name: InspirationPosition: CriticWhat I Look For: Good grammar and spelling; actual humourOther: Please don't try to force humour down our throats. It's easier to just subtly weave it into the story.Name: RarityPosition: CriticWhat I Look For: A nice amount of humor, that's actually funny(If it's controversial and not too offensive I'll probably laugh), and somewhat of a plot, that isn't too random, but not to serious.Other: Try to make your characters tolerable. =PPending:None!

Applying to become a critic:(banner needed)

To become a critic, you must PM me [ibrow/Kermit the Frog]. I do not want this thread to be filled up with requests to become a critic. Also, if you wish to become a critic, or are a critic, you may still request a review.Critic Screening ~ Critics Screening just means that I will screen everyone before they become a critic, and ask them if they are able to fulfill the guidelines set for critics below. I will make my decision, and ask one of the current critics for input. If we are not in agreement, we will send your request out to the other critics for a vote. If you are rejected, you may reapply after a two month waiting period. If you are rejected a second time, you may not reapply.Note: To save yourself the embarrassment of being rejected twice, please only apply if you are serious about delivering in-depth reviews to requesters.Critic duties ~ Every comedy will have a critic assigned to it. I will be keeping careful track of how many go to each critic, so that no one person gets an advanced workload. If a critic does not complete his review within 14 days of the assignment, one of the other critics or the Head will review it and the critic in question will receive a strike. If the critic has informed us beforehand that he will be unable to review, the strike will be dropped. When a critic accumulates three strikes he will be released. To reapply, the critic must wait two months. If a critic is released twice, they will not be allowed to return to the CCC. Once again, please only apply if you can review at least one comedy every two weeks.Reviews ~ Each critic is required to give a full, in-depth review. Following

these (WARNING: LINK GOES TO ARCHIVE) guidelines set by Nikira in her blog [sure, it was written for art, but it works for literature, too] would be good to do. You must give positive feedback and constructive criticism. WE WILL NOT accept simple posts saying “I love it! KUTGW 3443543/2323!”. If you like the comedy, tell the writer why. If you don't, tell the author why politely, and say how said author can improve. Some good advice would be that of ToM Dracone given to a different Comedies Critic Club [please follow this advice, too]:

Here is a piece of advice: Only sign up if you feel like you can actually give helpful, thorough, and polite reviews. It won't do much good to just say "hey, this is good, you should change these two things here" or to criticize so harshly it becomes flaming. Go into detail, explain things, et cetera. And if you think a comedy is absolutely terrible, for goodness' sakes don't say that. Explain what can be improved, and if you can't find anything to actually compliment, see if there's something that has the potential to be funny or creative and say how to use that potential. That's the sort of review that helps people.

Civility ~ Same thing for critics. Civility is crucial. We will not tolerate anyone being rude to anyone else, and will take necessary action for the action to be punished.Review Notification ~ As soon as you review a comedy, post saying so! Give a link and the author's name, and tell how much you reviewed of it [or if you reviewed every chapter they asked for, then just put 'all']. It's that simple. Just take thirty seconds of your time and post to say what you reviewed. PMing either me will also be accepted.General Stuff ~ If a critic spots a comedy they think needs more exposure, they may note so in their review notification post- Jalina will bold it on the reviewed list to show that it is recommended. If you do not give proper reviews, you might be removed from the critics list and placed on a suspension. Of course, you'll have a few warnings and chances, but if you continuously give spammy or rude reviews, you will be asked to leave. So, please, just follow these guidelines. I will be working with you guys to make sure you give good reviews. If you have any questions about a proper review, DO NOT hesitate to PM me.

:)

Extra Review Guidelines ~ Once a critic has finished their review, the comedy should be given a grade (whether it be a percentage or fraction is up to the critic). Any comedy that is given a score equal to 85% or higher will also be bolded for recommendation.

Banners you can use for advertising:

criticsignoff.png

tccctv12550.png

cccbansmall.png

cccban.png

cccban3.png

cccban2.png

cccban1.png

cccbanner4.png

cccbanner3.png

cccbanner1.png

cccbanner2.png

Please feel free to make some of your own for the CCC and the Comedic Federation!

As you may have noticed, several of the lines in this post say "banner needed"- if any of you have banner making skills, feel free to try it out- you just need to include the text and some stylized background!

Edited by ibrow

Your name will be mentioned with Togariku, Fresh Makuta of Bel-Air, and Bionicle Guru!

Who is Togariku?

This is what happens when a passenger in your car [if you drive, of course] starts telling you what lane to turn into, when to brake, when to accelerate, etc.

Basically, my mom.

Additionally, do not PM any critics along the same lines [or myself, for that matter]. This may, and most likely will, be considered harassment, and you will be reported to the proper authorities and taken care of.

Got the restraining order branch of the government on speed dial, huh?

If you don’t like the critic assigned, tough- we’re all hardworking people

I would like to make a note here for potential future requests: If there's a specific kind of comedy that one reviewer won't get, but another one will, then I think we should make exceptions for potentially requesting a specific critic. Say, for example, there's a comedy that's a spoof of a movie that Critic A has seen but Critic B has not. I think it would be ok for a reviewee to ask for the critic that has seen it.

PMing either Jalina or myself will also be accepted.

Note here from lots of copy/pasta-ing: PMing Jalina will get you nowhere now(and will most likely never be answered). PMing iBrow is probably the best way to get things done if you need to contact a higher up CCC authority/report the finishing of a review. Though I would prefer that you post the link to the review, along with the score it received, here in the topic so I can get it up on the first post faster.

Jalina will bold it on the reviewed list to show that it is recommended.

Once a critic has finished their review, the comedy should be given a grade (whether it be a percentage or fraction is up to the critic). Any comedy that is given a score equal to 85% or higher will also be bolded for recommendation.

I'd actually like to tweak things a bit for this, since we've already started a "recommended" list.We'll being splitting comedies up into different sections based on the percentages they garner from critics. Categories are:100: Prime99-95: Amazing94-90: Great89-85: Very Good84-80: Good79-75: Fair74-70: Average69-65: Below Average64-60: BadBelow 60: Unsaveable-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

*Ahem*... I'm head of reviews MT. You manage everything else, but I have permission to do the CCC in another topic if I have to. Thanks for pointing out some of changes I failed to make, but the critics will be the ones to decide how they give the numerical grade to a comedy, not you or me. I'll simply do some math to figure stuff out. [/overreacting]Also:

Comedies Reviewed: (Bolded Links = Must-See Comedies)

M.O.D.S. by Rarity = 60% (Reviewed by Fishers64)

Undivine Comedy by TradTheMentalist = 70%? (Reviewed by Fishers64)

World Domination 101 by Zoma & Biobeast = 70% (Reviewed by iBrow)

Takua's Brainy Adventure by Rarity = 20% (Reviewed by Fishers64)

The Bionicle Entrepeneur by Toarobot18 = 83% (Reviewed by Hubert)

Tales of the Hubertverse by Hubert = 85% (Reviewed by Fishers64)

University of North Spherus Magna by tent163phantoka = 73% (Reviewed by Hubert)

Spinning Doctor Drake by fishers64 = 98% (Reviewed by iBrow)

Lord Vakama Strikes Back by Cinnamon Grochi = 85% (Reviewed by Rarity)

Bionicle: Mission Space by Toarobot18 = 40% (Reviewed by fishers64)

The Adventures of Tahu by Tahu Nuva: Toa of Silver = 75.5% (Reviewed by Hubert)

The Three Matoran and Hakann by The Smoke Monster = 70% (Reviewed by iBrow)

Comedies Reviewed: 12

Edited by iBrow Hearts Rarity

I would rather not keep the grade names, to be honest. No comedy is unsalvageable- not even comedies like Curse You Greg. I also said that critics were allowed to score however they wanted as long as it was a percentage or fraction, and that any comedy given a score equal to or higher than 85% (I would simply convert if it was a fraction score) would be recommended.-ibrow

Oi MT, on the first post, please combine me with Hubert. I had a name change.And iBrow, what does 'PENDING' mean for the Reviewers?

It means you have to look at your pm box and then reply to me once you've done the task I gave you to see if you can become a critic.-ibrow

I would rather not keep the grade names, to be honest. No comedy is unsalvageable- not even comedies like Curse You Greg. I also said that critics were allowed to score however they wanted as long as it was a percentage or fraction, and that any comedy given a score equal to or higher than 85% (I would simply convert if it was a fraction score) would be recommended.

Then clearly this is an issue we will have to disagree on. I believe that simply sticking a comedy into either "recommended" and "unrecommended" categories is fairly shallow, and, at the very least, we should make the percentage/fraction/whatever unit ratings public so the outstanding comedies get noticed.

I don't have any tasks though in my PM box.

Clearly this means you are not pending enough. :P-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

I don't recall anyone having a problem with it before, so I'm not sure why there's suddenly a problem now. Since you were on board last time and didn't have a problem with it, I'm still going to say the old system is good enough. The ones that critics recommend are the super exceptional comedies. For example:Many people have said that Vultraz's Diner and Tahu vs. Tahu are amazing comedies, two of the best the forum has seen. If I was reviewing them both, I might give Vultraz's Diner a good score, but I'm not going to "recommend it" for extra attention because I don't feel that it truly lives up to that standard. However, I might recommend Tahu vs. Tahu.If you want me to make it even more clear that the recommended comedies are best of the best, I can up it to coemdies that receive at least a 90%.-ibrow

I don't recall anyone having a problem with it before, so I'm not sure why there's suddenly a problem now.

It wasn't like it was a fatally flawed system, I'm simply looking for ways to improve it. I believe a more diversified system with as much feedback as possible is better for the writer.

Since you were on board last time and didn't have a problem with it, I'm still going to say the old system is good enough. The ones that critics recommend are the super exceptional comedies. For example:Many people have said that Vultraz's Diner and Tahu vs. Tahu are amazing comedies, two of the best the forum has seen. If I was reviewing them both, I might give Vultraz's Diner a good score, but I'm not going to "recommend it" for extra attention because I don't feel that it truly lives up to that standard. However, I might recommend Tahu vs. Tahu.

Which is exactly my point. In your example, Vultraz's Diner is a good comedy, and thus deserves some recognition for being better than you average, run of the mill, pie jokes comedy. So grouping it with those comedies isn't fair to Vultraz's Diner. Meanwhile, it's not as good as Tahu vs. Tahu, so it doesn't deserve to be in that same category with the "really good" comedies. Point being that when you try to split things into two classifications, it gets messy at times. You're welcome to do that way if you want, as that was the branch I assigned you, but I'm simply suggesting that perhaps it would be better to diversify the rating system.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

I would disagree, but I'm afraid it'll turn it into another page long argument, so I'll leave it at that.At any rate, now that that fiasco is behind us, I think we should start promoting the CCC more, so people know that they can get their comedies reviewed here.It might help to get a separate topic as well, if things get too busy between the CCC and planning events/award shows on here.And um...wow...guess Hubert came through on his promise to grammatically dissect every comedy he reviews. :P-MT

Edited by Toa Zehvor MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Huh. This caught my eye.I've been ever so slightly bored during the RPG's daily lapses of inactivity. I figured "why not" and clicked the name. Might I be able to join? I need to write more.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Comedy fans and authors, I present to you the first ever Official Comedy of the Comedic Federation, a crossover between the Big 4 themselves:

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes an "official" comedy, and how does one become one?

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

Comedy fans and authors, I present to you the first ever Official Comedy of the Comedic Federation, a crossover between the Big 4 themselves:

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes an "official" comedy, and how does one become one?
All four of the leaders of the Federation have to be involved, which would more often than not mean that the comedy has to be a crossover. However, if enough other members of the Federation were involved (three or four) as well as two leaders, then that comedy could possibly be given official status as well.@Shadow Guardian: I'm not sure if there's anything you really need to do to join. We never really discussed that.-ibrow