Comedy Discussion and Planning Topic

MT Zehvor

Everyone link to the Comedy Forum Expo in your signatures! spread the word!-ibrow
Linked and advertised.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now that the CFE has come and gone, it's probably time to turn our attention to the next big thing on the CF slate: That being the end of the year comedy awards.Here were some categories I was thinking of currently(feel free to throw out suggestions):COMEDY AWARDS:Best Comedy with Bionicles as ToysBest Comedy with Bionicles as Real Life BeingsBest Spoof of a Bionicle Event/StoryBest Spoof of a Non Bionicle Event/StoryBest SpoofBest Holiday Themed ComedyBest One ShotBest Script ComedyBest Prose ComedyBest Overall ComedyAUTHOR AWARDS:Best One Shot AuthorBest Prose AuthorBest Script AuthorBest AuthorCHARACTER AWARDS:Best HeroBest VillainBest Side CharacterBest CookBest VandalBest Overall CharacterJOKES:Best Running GagBest Single Use JokeBest Pun(these will be terrible)Best One LinerLeast Use of Pie JokesBest Joke of the Year-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

[backseat driving]A lot of your suggestions look good, but Some of them seem specific for only a few comedies, and I don't know how many comedies are acutally active anymore. Ones I would consider dumping are:Least use of pie jokes: Probably every single comedy that doesn't use a pie joke. Hard to judge.Best comedy with Bionicle characters are toys/real life beings: A good idea, but might be one-sided if there's only one or a few for each category. Again, I don't know the current Comedy forum statistics, so it's up to you.Best Cook/Vandal: Again, these seem like they're tuned for one or two specific comedies. I don't think every comedy out there has a cook or a vandal in it. Try to keep it general.However, the rest look great. (I would rename "Best Author" as "Best overall author" But that's just personal preference.) Are you going to be using the same rules from when the CCC did theirs, or are you making new ones? (I would recommend keeping the 'no locked comedies' one, at the very least. The comedies forum doesn't need that kind of circus again.) It looks like you're going to keep the same general set-up as the one the CCC did back in the old forum, but since this one is not run by the CCC, I don't know what your plans are. P.S. I seem to be haunting the forums more often, so feel free to shoot me a P.M if you need help.[/backseat driving]

Defy Expectations

]Least us[/b]e of pie jokes: Probably every single comedy that doesn't use a pie joke. Hard to judge.Best comedy with Bionicle characters are toys/real life beings: A good idea, but might be one-sided if there's only one or a few for each category. Again, I don't know the current Comedy forum statistics, so it's up to you.Best Cook/Vandal: Again, these seem like they're tuned for one or two specific comedies. I don't think every comedy out there has a cook or a vandal in it. Try to keep it general.
Some of those awards were most definitely joke awards. To be perfectly honest, I can't really say I know a comedy where a Bionicle is a cook, although I imagine a vandal award could be given to whichever character causes the most destruction in a comedy.
Are you going to be using the same rules from when the CCC did theirs, or are you making new ones? (I would recommend keeping the 'no locked comedies' one, at the very least.
Dunno why quoting you keeps changing the font/color, but w/e.Anyways, we'll set down some ground rules prior to doing this. The comedy forum, unfortunately, does not appear to be as well off as it was when we did this last year, so I don't think there will be much of a problem with people spamming/nominating bad comedies.I do wish to make a clause on locked comedies, however. Some comedies, unfortunately, get closed because their fans were spamming on their thread, or because they didn't feel like continuing it and asked a moderator to close it, or something like that. We may resort to a blanket rule in the future if things get out of hand, but for the moment, I think we'll be dealing with few enough submissions that we can use our judgment.-MTEDIT: WHY DID IT CHANGE MY RESPONSE TO JALINA FONT RAAAAGGGHHH Edited by Toa Zehvor MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Wasn't Jalina gone for like, a year?
Quiet, whippersnapper! In my day, we waited as long we had to for an author to re-post, and we LIKED it. And, we had to walk uphill in the snow to get to the forums. BOTH WAYS. [/oldtimergrumble]In all seriousness, yes, I was gone for about a year, with one or two intermittent appearances. I did this weird thing called growing up while the forums were offline, and other activities had grasped my attention. But I'm back now. Somewhat. I may not be as active as I once was, but I'll be hanging around the forums more often now.And excellent point on the closed comedies thing, Toa Zehvor. Again, you know more about the comedies here then I do now, so you would be the one to make that call. And if you need banners or anything to advertise, I've still got that old picture I made for the awards last year.And there's only one thing I can say about your plight: :evilgrin:

Defy Expectations

COMEDY AWARDS:Best Comedy with Bionicles as ToysBest Comedy with Bionicles as Real Life BeingsBest Spoof of a Bionicle Event/StoryBest Spoof of a Non Bionicle Event/StoryBest Spoof (All we need)Best Holiday Themed ComedyBest One ShotBest Script ComedyBest Prose ComedyBest Overall ComedyAUTHOR AWARDS:Best One Shot AuthorBest Prose AuthorBest Script AuthorBest AuthorCHARACTER AWARDS:Best HeroBest VillainBest Side CharacterBest CookBest VandalBest Overall CharacterJOKES:Best Running GagBest Single Use JokeBest Pun(these will be terrible)Best One LinerLeast Use of Pie JokesBest Joke of the YearCrossed out options are the categories I think unnecessary. I also believe that the nominees should all be looked over for the category in question by the CCC and certain members of the CF (namely those who are in charge of it, possibly one or two members) and announced that way by a group vote. All nominees could also be entered into apublic poll to decide a "fan favourite" in those sections.-ibrowEDIT: Also, considering the number of prose comedies... I think we could get rid of the "best prose" and "best script" comedies categories.

Edited by iBrow Voltex

I went through the forum and the only prose comedies I could find were by Meta Nuva and I (and now Cederak's oneshot). So, there are too few.
You didn't look very hard, my friend. :PRoad Trip 2, Sniper 2, BK's Ramblings(I suppose this is slightly debatable), every single one of your comedies(which now occupy like half of the first page), Meta's comedies(which make up another good portion), V3 Halloween, etc.While there aren't as many as script, there are definitely enough to warrant a category.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both of you are in. We haven't yet decided what dasardly deeds we're going to make new recruits do to stay in, but I was thinking we'll soon force them to travel through cyberspace and tell us the future of the world.

Also, I'm not saying that prose comedies aren't important enough. I'm saying there's not enough of them to warrant a ctegory - I don't care if we have 8 prose comedies when five of them are mine!

-ibrow

More actual play script comedies would be a boon to the forum, certainly.

Also, was it ever decided on thenumber of Expos we would do each year? I can't remember if it was supposed to be one or two, but if it's two we should probably begin planning in January for the next one.

-ibrow

I actually want to do two a year, because the oneshot was a heck of a lot o fun to do. Actually, it might be cool to write a comedy starring the members of the Federation...Christmas Break. I'm doing it. -ibrow

That sounds awesome.On a side note, I'm actually happy with my newest (prose) comedy: The Adventurer's Guide to Mata Nui.Totally not a hitchhikers/bionicle mash up.

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

I actually want to do two a year, because the oneshot was a heck of a lot o fun to do. Actually, it might be cool to write a comedy starring the members of the Federation...Christmas Break. I'm doing it. -ibrow

That sounds awesome.On a side note, I'm actually happy with my newest (prose) comedy: The Adventurer's Guide to Mata Nui.Totally not a hitchhikers/bionicle mash up.

That's true. It's an amusing guide to the BIONICLE Universe written in the style of the Guide.

Sorry I've been MIA recently. College exams demand quite a bit more attention than high school ones.

I had originally planned to do two a year, so if that works out with you guys, let's shoot for that.

Also yaa JL join the CF. It'll be fun fun fun.

At any rate, we'll probably end of shrinking the amount of awards that we do just because we don't have anywhere near a large enough panel to decide all of this. And we'll probably end up doing the entire thing via some poll. I'm not a big fan of vote only awards, but we really don't have a large enough group of people to pick awards for every topic.

Unless you guys wish to do something else, in which case I'm open to any other idea you may have.

Now off to review a whole bunch of comedies that I haven't been able to for a while.

Hooray for Christmas Break.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Well...couple of things here.

I decided on the final categories for our CoTY awards...so feel free to start nominating other comedies for them. Feel free to yell at me for having too many/too few categories.

They are:

Comedy of the Year

Series of the Year(Nominate an actual series, not a specific comedy)

Script Comedy of the Year

Prose Comedy of the Year

Worst Comedy of the Year

Actually, on second thought, let's not do that one.

Best Overall Character

Best Supporting Character

Best Protagonist

Best Antagonist

Best Author(prepare for the flaming wars)

So get nominating and campaigning for whoever/whatever you want to win. After all, if you drag your opponent's name through the mud enough, eventually people are bound to vote for someone besides him...and that might be you.

Maybe.

Second thing here is that, to make up for my not really paying much attention to this forum like I should, I'll be going through and doing some in-depth reviews on just about every single comedy on the front page. This isn't trying to take away from the CCC, there are multiple groups here that can give out in-depth reviews. And remember, everyone, if I disliked the way something was done in your comedy, that means I absolutely hate the entire thing.

At any rate, Christmas Break has now given me quite a bit of free time, and it is very nice, so I'll probably be making a stop by your comedy. Probably.

Disagree with my review? Think my completely factual opinion is wrong? Tell me why, and hey, maybe if you swear enough in your response, it'll change my mind.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Well, to get my club some publicity and make my reviews list feel fuzzy inside, why not join us? You can be an honorary critic.

Nominations:

Comedy of the Year The AfterWords (screw it)

Series of the Year Tahu vs. Tahu (Tahu vs. Tahu, Dark Unto Days, The AfterWords)

Script Comedy of the Year Aftermath 2

Prose Comedy of the Year The AfterWords

Oneshot of the Year Rewriter, CFE 2012

Best Overall Character Makuta (How to Be a Hero)

Best Supporting Character Omega Turtle (Aftermath 2)

Best Protagonist Evo (The AfterWords)

Best Antagonist Witch Doctor (How to Be a Hero)

Best Author iBrow, obviously. That guy has some serious talent.

Except then we'll have a surplus of critics and not enough requests for reviews.

/me heads off to absorb more members into the Comedies forum to fix this.

Well, Rarity is leaving soon anyway and I have no idea when fishers will be available again, so right now it's kind of just you and me anyway. =P

-ibrow

Series of the Year Tahu vs. Tahu (Tahu vs. Tahu, Dark Unto Days, The AfterWords)

Hmm. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason, I get the feeling this list is slightly biased.

It also appears iBrow decided to throw in a "best one shot" category as well. Cheater.

Anyways, for my own completely unbiased nominations:

Comedy of the Year: Aftermath 2

Series of the Year: Tahu vs. Tahu

Script Comedy of the Year: Useless BZP Junk that You Must Have!

Prose Comedy of the Year: Tahu vs. Tahu: Aftermath

Best Overall Character: The Announcer(Useless BZP Junk You Must Have)

Best Supporting Character: Veekay(Return of the Bohrok-Kal's Ramblings)

Best Protagonist: Pridak(Aftermath 2)

Best Antagonist: Almighty(Tahu vs. Tahu: Aftermath)

Best Author(prepare for the flaming wars) iBrow is a duck

Explanations:

Best Comedy: Yeah, well, this is kinda biased...so I lied about not being biased...but in defense of my own biased decision, A2's been going steady the entire year, with the Bionicles going all over the place. From Legoland, to Miami, to outer space, to alternate dimensions, and back to the house. Plus, it's got Omega Turtle(despite how incredibly absent he's been from the comedy recently) and Pridak in it.

Oh, and it has more than two chapters written. :P

Series of the Year: It's pretty hard to nominate anything besides this considering the rather ridiculous amount of comedies it's contained, but I'll do some explaining anyways. Beginning with TvT: A, the TvT series introduced something that's fairly rare in comedies, that being an element of fear that any character can die at any point in time. It's almost Walking Dead-esque. That combined with the characters' own deranged insanity as the element of humor makes this a rather easy pick.

Script Comedy: So during my recent rummaging of the comedy forum, I came across this gem. This comedy is very well done, taking a rather odd approach to making a comedy that goes through an announcer attempting to sell things to a BZP audience that are, of course, completely worthless. Yet his own attempts and how easily the crowds seem to get wowed by junk never ceases to amuse me.

Prose Comedy of the Year: Tahu vs. Tahu: Aftermath. While the Afterwords is great n' such, this is the actual comedy that started the whole element of fear in the first place. With some incredibly memorable villains, and a ridiculously death-filled ending, this takes the top prose spot IMO.

Best Overall Character: Already explained who the Announcer is, but I still love him nonetheless, so he gets the spot here.

Best Supporting Character: A rather bizarre entry into TBKR, this Australian accented Bionicle showed up one day...and unfortunately disappeared soon thereafter. He was hilarious while he was around though.

Best Protagonist: Pridak is a source of good and noble inspiration to all of us. And he should be hailed as such.

Best Antagonist: Almighty was a much better villain than Witch Doctor. No, I don't want to explain. He just was.

Best Author: Mr. Quack wins this one on the simple math of writing the most amount of good comedies for the forum. Even if he tries to cheat and add categories to the awards list.

-MT

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Announcement:

The Comedies Critics Club (CCC) is currently dangerously low on critics (one) with two having left due to schoolwork - thus, I would like to ask if anyone in this forum might fancy themselves as a possible reviewer for the club. If interested, please pm me and I can share the information with you.

-ibrow

Sounds to be an interesting idea. In the time I've been on here, I've never really seen anyone do something like this. At least, not with so much vigorous detail and research. I'm kind of glad you didn't go with the "Worst Comedy of the Year" category, seeing as that might be self-esteem crushing for the person who wins. And I got a feeling of if someone remembers my name they might nominate me for that category with one of my lackluster writings.

Depending on how many categories you wish to set, you can possibly even add more to the list. Like for example say "Best Comedic Moment" in a story, or even "Best/Favorite/Memorable Quote," things like that. But again, it all depends on how many categories you wish to set. So I can agree if you don't want to have so many that you don't know what to do with them, but of course it could also be a good idea for a bit of variety to shake things up a little and keep it interesting. Plus provide insight into the stories, such as with a "Best Moment" category, showcase the nominees and winner with how and why they got nominated. A sort of way to show a reader who might look and think "This is pretty funny, I think I want to check this out." That's just my thoughts, and I know my thoughts are crazy and insane.

Sorry to hear about the lack of reviewers. Sorry I can't help in any kind of way. I don't think I might make a good comedy reviewer for the sheer fact there are times I can't sit down and spend time reading and come up with a well-thought out review full of constructive criticism, hints, tips, and of the sort. I think I'll stick to the music and action figure reviews I do.