Comedy Discussion and Planning Topic

MT Zehvor

Those are actually great ideas, ShadowBionics. More categories putting more insight into stories just might get someone more followers. But then again, the forum is still dried up...maybe slowly getting back on its feet.

Hmm. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason, I get the feeling this list is slightly biased.

It is. Everyone who nominated comedies right now voted for themselves (I'm looking at you iBrow). We should ask the followers, people who don't write comedies or retired from them. They have a more open opinion, I'm sure. But hold on a second...when are we doing the awards?

~LTT~

The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

K, so it's the new year now, which means that all of the comedy stuff for last year is done and we can finalize the nomination process.

Since there haven't been a ton of nominees, we can probably fill the blanks in ourselves and get around 4 or so nominees for each category.

I'd like to set the actual polls up around mid January, to make sure(at the very least) I have time to go through all of the comedies from the past year and make sure I don't miss any nomination worthy ones.

My idea for the poll topic would be to either create a topic on this forum, or create a poll topic with an actual poll for overall Comedy of the Year, and then text based polls for the other categories. Both ideas have pros and cons to them, so if you guys have any preference, feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also this was my 4,000th post.

Kinda an unepic way to get 4,000. Wasn't really aware until after I posted.

-MT

Edited by Toa Zehvor MT

XPufEB3.png?1

K, so it's the new year now, which means that all of the comedy stuff for last year is done and we can finalize the nomination process.

Since there haven't been a ton of nominees, we can probably fill the blanks in ourselves and get around 4 or so nominees for each category.

I'd like to set the actual polls up around mid January, to make sure(at the very least) I have time to go through all of the comedies from the past year and make sure I don't miss any nomination worthy ones.

My idea for the poll topic would be to either create a topic on this forum, or create a poll topic with an actual poll for overall Comedy of the Year, and then text based polls for the other categories. Both ideas have pros and cons to them, so if you guys have any preference, feedback would be appreciated.

-MT

Might I be the first to say it?

Faaaaaaail

Anyway, I have four nominees for best comedy of 2012:

1. Tahu vs. Tahu

2. Aftermath 2

3. The AfterWords

4. Spinning/Twisting/Insertadjectivehere Doctor Drake

-ibrow

-MT

Might I be the first to say it?

Faaaaaaail

Anyway, I have four nominees for best comedy of 2012:

1. Tahu vs. Tahu

2. Aftermath 2

3. The AfterWords

4. Spinning/Twisting/Insertadjectivehere Doctor Drake

-ibrow

Ninja'd.

Nominees for best comedy?.....

1. Aftermath 2

2. TvT

That's about it. I didn't read anybody else's. Guess I'll try to have to spend some time on that.

And if there's a 'Most Improved'.....

1. Taot.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

• 4 weeks later...

All righty, well...we were REALLY lazy.

And we never got this done.

So, since we had nowhere near enough nominations for just about everything...we'll just vote for best comedy of the year and leave out the other categories because...well...it's a little hard to get a ton of votes for multiple categories instead of just one. So, since literally the only two comedies that had multiple nominations for CoTY are Aftermath 2 and Tahu vs. Tahu...we'll just have a vote off right here.

If I win, I'll make sure to make another "Aftermath: Comedy of the Year Edition" and brag lots about it. :P

More info on the CFE for this Spring coming soon.

-MT

Edited by Toa Zehvor MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Oh please, we all know I make the most awesome special oneshots. =P

Besides, "Tahu vs. Tahu: Comedy of the Year Edition" sounds wicked, and it means everyone sees Tahu Mata and Tahu Stars again!

That said, my unbiased vote goes to TvT. Or, in the exceptionally unlikely case that MT decides to vote for TvT, my vote would then become biased and switch to Aftermath.

-ibrow

Now now children, no arguing on whose comedy is better.

Think of all the other comedies in which none of you are supporting!

Fair enough.

Curse You Greg wins Comedy of the Year 2012!

:P

In all seriousness, I know the final vote ended up looking fairly biased/unsupportive of others, but...barely anyone put any nominations in...and the threshold to get in was two nominations...so we ended up with this.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

I'd like to ask this: do we need any sort of award to be given out?

Nobody seems to really want to vote, and honestly, I'm not all that emotionally involved in the idea either. Sure, it would be neat to win, but it's not like there's a plaque or anything (and there doesn't need to be). I mean, I don't even remember which comedy won it back in 2011. I think the awards are unnecessary.

Now, onto my second issue at the moment: what is the purpose of the Federation (which is still an atrocious name by the way, and should be changed as soon as possible.)? Our original goals included running contests (none have happened), creating crossovers (one happened and died thanks to me), building the community of Comedies (eh... sort of, I suppose), helping each other out with ideas and such (never happened), and then the expos (it took us six months before we started planning them).

The only one of these goals to be truly achieved so far are the Expos, and even then, I can consider it only half complete until we get the nextone done (which will need to be by mid-April).

So... do we really need this? Is the Federation necessary? Granted, it never was, but right now I feel like we have a dead topic still floating in the water. All this thing is used for now is for the Expos, but it's supposed to be so much more. I propose a few answers to this issue.

The first is that we ask the staff to change the name of this topic to something along the lines of "Comedy Forum Expo Planning Topic" (but more coherent and, well, better). Then the topic would be useful in that it is fulfilling the purpose it is meant for.

The second is that we start to jump start on this stuff that we said we wanted to do when we created this. We begin planning in here about crossovers that could happen, even just short four-ten chapter comedies. We begin tossing ideas around for contests, and once we have one that's good enough, we can take it to the staff and see what they think about it. We re-name the group and ask the staff to change the topic name to that, because honestly, "Federation" is just bleh. The community building and comedy ideas would naturally generate out of this.

The third (and the one that I absolutely don't want to happen) would be that we just rid ourselves of this topic all together and be done with everything forever, admitting defeat and sulking in corners for five minutes before returning to our everyday lives (if this option were to occur, I must say, I'd have to eat my socks).

The fourth option is that we leave it exactly how it is right now, which would also admittedly be kind of a bummer.

My preference would be the second option, but I'm sure there are other solutions out there. However, Option 2 is more or less just saying "DO STUFF!!!111!!1!" in a far more profession manner than was just stated. But really, that name change does have to happen.

As for the awards, if they are to occur, it's my belief that it should be handled by the Comedies Critics Club. I don't mean to seize control, but the CCC is just naturally suited to the task - that is why it was the CCC who ran the 2011 awards. The CCC has a list of comedies reviewed that could easily be modified to note the years in which comedies are reviewed, and then the nominees for each year could be selected from comedies that achieved a certain grade or higher, with voting later on.

If a comedy author did not request a review, that is fine; there could be a one week "last chance" period to get your comedy squeezed in for a review to see if it qualifies for the awards or not. Then we could have a voting period for fans and a voting period for the critics, to decide the two (or one if both groups agree) comedies of the year, etc.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, as it has been almost an entire year now and I really think this topic ought to get moving the gears by now.

-ibrow

Nobody seems to really want to vote, and honestly, I'm not all that emotionally involved in the idea either. Sure, it would be neat to win, but it's not like there's a plaque or anything (and there doesn't need to be). I mean, I don't even remember which comedy won it back in 2011. I think the awards are unnecessary.

Fair enough; we can give up on that and move on.

Now, onto my second issue at the moment: what is the purpose of the Federation (which is still an atrocious name by the way, and should be changed as soon as possible.)? Our original goals included running contests (none have happened), creating crossovers (one happened and died thanks to me), building the community of Comedies (eh... sort of, I suppose), helping each other out with ideas and such (never happened), and then the expos (it took us six months before we started planning them).

Changed to...what exactly?

I view the Comedic Federation(or whatever you want to call it) more similarly to one of those neighborhood community groups more then anything. It doesn't have an express purpose besides hosting whatever events the community wants to throw together other then to give those who are part of the community a place to voice their ideas/concerns. If someone wants to write a crossover, they can post it here. If someone wants feedback on an idea of theirs, they can post it here. If someone wants to host an event, they can do so here. We don't need to be actively involved in the community every step of the way, but it's nice to have something for people to use should they chose to.

The first is that we ask the staff to change the name of this topic to something along the lines of "Comedy Forum Expo Planning Topic" (but more coherent and, well, better). Then the topic would be useful in that it is fulfilling the purpose it is meant for.

The second is that we start to jump start on this stuff that we said we wanted to do when we created this. We begin planning in here about crossovers that could happen, even just short four-ten chapter comedies. We begin tossing ideas around for contests, and once we have one that's good enough, we can take it to the staff and see what they think about it. We re-name the group and ask the staff to change the topic name to that, because honestly, "Federation" is just bleh. The community building and comedy ideas would naturally generate out of this.

The third (and the one that I absolutely don't want to happen) would be that we just rid ourselves of this topic all together and be done with everything forever, admitting defeat and sulking in corners for five minutes before returning to our everyday lives (if this option were to occur, I must say, I'd have to eat my socks).

The fourth option is that we leave it exactly how it is right now, which would also admittedly be kind of a bummer.

I'm kind of tempted to ask the staff to shut this topic down now just so you eat your socks. :P

Things will pick up in the summertime as far as activity goes. School's been the major factor in my absence of kick-starting anything on here. If you want to start something, go for it; but make sure that the people involved are really dedicated and willing to make whatever it is you want work, or else we end up with another dead contest/crossover.

My preference would be the second option, but I'm sure there are other solutions out there. However, Option 2 is more or less just saying "DO STUFF!!!111!!1!" in a far more profession manner than was just stated. But really, that name change does have to happen.

Again, I'm open to name changes, so long as they actually reflect something along the lines of what we're doing(or they sound really cool).

As for the awards, if they are to occur, it's my belief that it should be handled by the Comedies Critics Club. I don't mean to seize control, but the CCC is just naturally suited to the task - that is why it was the CCC who ran the 2011 awards. The CCC has a list of comedies reviewed that could easily be modified to note the years in which comedies are reviewed, and then the nominees for each year could be selected from comedies that achieved a certain grade or higher, with voting later on.

Assuming there's more then one reviewer this time next year, sure, go for it.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

• 4 weeks later...

I have come to the conclusion that the Comedies forum is just a giant hug-box.

There is no real criticism: nobody but the CCC actually does anything to criticise people's works in the hopes of them improving. And we aren't doing that good of a job either. No matter how mediocre a work is, we pretty much go: "Here's some flaws, but it's a good story if you try more!"

And people don't listen.

In fact, most of the works in this forum are simply mediocre. There is nothing special about them. Even the better ones are just 'decent'.

We don't have 'good'.

The better comedies are also surrounded by a massive box of fans, who don't really do much but go: "this is good and funny, oh hey here's a small typo blah blah blah."

We have no real criticism.

I have come to the conclusion that the Comedies forum is just a giant hug-box.

There is no real criticism: nobody but the CCC actually does anything to criticise people's works in the hopes of them improving. And we aren't doing that good of a job either. No matter how mediocre a work is, we pretty much go: "Here's some flaws, but it's a good story if you try more!"

And people don't listen.

In fact, most of the works in this forum are simply mediocre. There is nothing special about them. Even the better ones are just 'decent'.

We don't have 'good'.

The better comedies are also surrounded by a massive box of fans, who don't really do much but go: "this is good and funny, oh hey here's a small typo blah blah blah."

We have no real criticism.

I think I've said this before, but I welcome any and all(so long as its not pure flaming) criticism against my comedies. People rarely seem to take me up on the offer, but it's out there nonetheless.

As for the state of the forum, I think you're being a bit harsh. There are several comedies out there that I enjoy reading, and I would call them more than merely "decent."

If we want to rework the CCC, then I'm all for that, and I'd probably consider joining it, but at the moment the group's inherently such a gigantic mess that I don't really feel like joining in.

That's really the only thing I can think of to do at the moment. I could go on another reviewing spree, which I should probably do sometime soon. The thing is though that this is really just an area for people who want to write can write and have fun doing so. Going up to someone who doesn't want criticism, and telling them that they're doing such and such wrong, is like walking up to a group of people playing touch football in the park and giving them a detailed speech about how they could perform better.

Regardless of whether it's me, you, the CCC, or anyone else, if a review isn't specifically requested, it's more or less just shoving unwanted opinions in someone's face.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

I discussed, if that's the right word, nearly all of my criticisms of the current format of the CCC with you in great detail at the beginning of the CF's formation. They're all still there in their shining glory if you wish to review them.

-MT

Sorry MT, I should've been more specific - I meant to direct that bit to Hubert. Augh.

Can I say two things please?

First off, a name change wouldn't be so bad, but there's not much for people to do in this topic. Criticism is done by the CCC (who do a great job) and if people want to have an event or write off or expo or just a chat about comedy writing, they do it here. This topic is like General Discussion for the Comedies section.

As for ZHX's comment, that's incredibly unfair of you to call most of the work in this forum "mediocre". Yes, there are some that aren't very good, there always will be, but just saying 'most' is unfair to all those who have put and time and effort into their work.

Then again, why should I care. I just write to make the odd person smile occasionally.

Phovos, I would argue that is our purpose here - the Comedies forum is to make people smile and laugh. In that regard, you are doing a very fine job. So your purpose here should be the purpose of everyone in the Comedies forum - except those just here to be part of the CCC, of course.

-ibrow

...that's really discouraging and mean to all of us that work hard here. I choose to do this in my free time (other than play Zelda) and I try to work hard at it. Perhaps the comedies are similar to each other, but compared to epics and short stories, very different indeed. We come here for a laugh, and if that's what you don't want, don't click the link.

And I actually found the CCC very helpful when I used it in TAoT. I suppose it has changed since then, however.

And I suppose the name could be changed to something more on-topic or thought out.

~LTT~

The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

Yet again, if someone wants to change the name, I am open to the possibility, so long as you have something you'd like to suggest changing it to. People continually complaining/voicing opinions about the name with no alternatives are not incredibly helpful.

On the topic of the state of the forum, opinions are opinions, nothing more, nothing less. Some people will like the comedies you write, some won't. I personally would prefer avoiding becoming the comic forum where we split into warring factions and do little besides fight against each other, so in that regard, I would request that all negative opinions come with some sort of explanation as to why something is bad. All saying "this sucks" does is discourage someone from writing and ever getting better, which is the exact opposite of what we're here for.

TL;DR version: Have fun, be kind, and avoid negativity without constructive criticism.

Gracias.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

It seems like we do a bit more than merely discuss comedies though. If nothing else(and it may very well be nothing else), we host expos and (someday eventually hopefully) will start on that silly group comedy that I've wanted to do for forever but never got to.

I guess I'd be ok with the name change, but it seems like it kind of limits our functions, whereas Comedic Federation(regardless of how lame you think that is) is vague enough to encompass anything.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

That'd be fine, if a bit long-winded.

Any other opinions?

Also rather bizarre idea, but here's something we could sponsor as a group. What if we were to create a mock-trial thing revolved around comedy characters? It'd be like a mock-trial thing, except funnier and with characters from various comedies on trial for things. I've actually got a bit of experience with making cases for this sort of thing, so it wouldn't be particularly hard to adapt something to a more comedic format.

Good idea or bad?

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

Comedy Writers Discussion Topic does sound more fitting. Plus it might be a good addition. The CCC can continue to do its job of reviewing and critiquing comedies while there would be another topic just to merely discuss and maybe even plan things out. I don't remember if something like this has been done before (a part of me feels like it has and I'm just not remembering right), but now there can be an official and professional term for it.

Alright, I guess we can vote, then - I'll count myself and Shadow Bionics early. If we get five votes for it, than MT or myself (preferably MT, since he kinda like created the topic and all) can pm Hahli Husky.

2 Votes of of 5 required for "Comedy Writers Discussion Topic".

I like "Comedy Writers Discussion Topic," so count my vote as vote number three, if you please.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Nah, just send it in. If there are any problems, we can pm them to change it again next March.

I post here to ask for some help, as Hubert has vanished with the wind, leaving the CCC with only one critic besides myself. If any critics from the old forum or any new writers since the forum return are even slightly interested, please pm me for more information.