Archive Problem: Convenient Chrome Solution

Dralcax

Well, everyone knows visiting the archive logs you out. Using a different browser can circumvent this, but it's still annoying, and not everybody has 2 browsers. Well, surprise! I use Google Chrome, and found that visiting the archive in an incognito window does not log me out. It should work for the equivilant in other browsers, such as IE InPrivate, or whatever. Now that we know that works, we can narrow down the problem and help find the solution. Or just browse the archive more easily.

aouROFb.png

Well, you're a lucky BZPer. I decided to test this out, using private browsing on Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, and by viewing the archive in the same window, and then a second attempt by opening the archive in a tabbed window, your work-around had no success for me. There's probably a more technical reason for why it's allowing you to remain logged in, but I don't have the expertise to even speculate on that.-Ced

Well, you're a lucky BZPer. I decided to test this out, using private browsing on Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, and by viewing the archive in the same window, and then a second attempt by opening the archive in a tabbed window, your work-around had no success for me. There's probably a more technical reason for why it's allowing you to remain logged in, but I don't have the expertise to even speculate on that.-Ced

I think you're misunderstanding. You can use the archive in private browsing without getting logged out in normal browsing.

aouROFb.png

I think you're misunderstanding. You can use the archive in private browsing without getting logged out in normal browsing.
Oh, I did misunderstand. Of course, when you use a private browsing window you have to log in to BZPower every time anyway. This just seems like more of an alternative option than anything else.-Ced

you know i completely agree. i find it kinda of annoying. But i will have to try the incognito window since i also have google chrome. I kinda of hope that the staff can fix that problem one day so that we can view the old forums and the new forums without us having to log back in.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Oh, I did misunderstand. Of course, when you use a private browsing window you have to log in to BZPower every time anyway. This just seems like more of an alternative option than anything else.-Ced
What's the point of logging into the archive, though?

aouROFb.png

Accessing profiles and the old notepad, using the search function, et cetera.Either way, this is indeed rather old news. However, I have found that if you turn off the ability to accept new cookies, you can stay logged into one forum without getting booted out when you visit the other.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

So the cookies are the problem?

So I've found. The thing is, you have to turn off the ability to accept new cookies after you've logged into one forum. I'm unsure if the settings of all browsers let new cookies get barred while keeping the ones it already has stored. My main browser (Safari) does.Cookies are in and of themselves not a problem, but the cookies put into a browser by one forum conflicts with the cookies from the other forum.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Although dead, this old topic from October seems to be discussing the same idea. Members have been able to do this for a while now, it seems.~B~

Accessing profiles and the old notepad, using the search function, et cetera.Either way, this is indeed rather old news. However, I have found that if you turn off the ability to accept new cookies, you can stay logged into one forum without getting booted out when you visit the other.
So it seems like this is pretty well documented. Yes, it's a cookie thing, but how to fix it is another matter entirely. It's on the list, but I don't see it as being a very high priority.Thread closed.