If You Became Staff, What Would You Do First?

Jinkmeister

Read the talkback topic about my promotion and of course all the PMs and profile comments. And of course I would start approving New Member´s posts and doing my job straight away. :P~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I'd immediately work towards repealing the proto energy system, word filter, restrictions against ####### and external forums sites, and a bunch of other rules.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I would forget to log in for three days, then I'd come back and realize I've been promoted. Then I'd do whatever I was promoted to do.Then I'd become corrupted, use my power for personal gain, ban everyone, and create a utopia named after myself.It's a work in progress. ;)

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

I'd immediately work towards repealing the proto energy system, word filter, restrictions against ####### and external forums sites, and a bunch of other rules.

You know, if any of those were as simple, they would have already happened. :P~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

No no, trust me, any staff member can just snap his fingers and allow whatever they want to happen automatically. Things like forum fixes, modifying the word filter, re-skinning, a new system for leaving bzp, all of it we could do if we wanted in a second because none of them actually take any effort at all! We simply choose not to improve them because we are diabolical.

Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

No no, trust me, any staff member can just snap his fingers and allow whatever they want to happen automatically. Things like forum fixes, modifying the word filter, re-skinning, a new system for leaving bzp, all of it we could do if we wanted in a second because none of them actually take any effort at all! We simply choose not to improve them because we are diabolical.

Lol, so it turns out I have been on the staff for close to four years and I haven´t even discovered the almighty button. :P Could you send me a PM telling me where to find it? Don´t worry, I won´t use it. I like the plan. :evilgrin:~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Do the job I'm supposed to do.

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Freak out as my inbox becomes filled with reports.

No worries about that, there is the Report Center now, so reports go in there. I can tell you there isn´t an overwhelming amount rate of reports anyway. :P

I would annoy the other staff!!(Staff all look at me giving me the look that probably means that they will never promote me to staff) (I cry).

*Giving you the look that means you will never be promoted* :P~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

No worries about that, there is the Report Center now, so reports go in there. I can tell you there isn´t an overwhelming amount rate of reports anyway. :P

True. I guess there hasn't been as many reports lately with the website activity dropping drastically. :P

I would ensure every Thursday is Ice Cream Sundae day.

Can we hire this guy, like, right now?Or at least by Wednesday. Edited by Chols

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Freak out as my inbox becomes filled with reports.

The sig reports...... there were so many my first week @.@ (like 20+ in one message ;-;)But um anyways, the first thing I did do was... I think handle a ton of signature reports.Otherwise, if I went like up or got shifted to some other position place, I'd prolly do whatever the job there would be. Whatever I'd do, the goal would be to either do something fun for members, or something to give members an easier time (like, fixing spelling errors and whatnot in rules, or rewording some in a more clear way, or adding a FAQ where none exists [and if people have been asking questions regarding the forum/thingy]), or to make sure everything is properly padded. :)

Yeah, then you'd wake up and realize there's a reason those aren't done. Or maybe you wouldn't and you'd get fired. :P

I would ensure every Thursday is Ice Cream Sundae day.

Sorry, but that ain't happenin'. Thursday is already "Water Polo while singing Weird Al songs with mouths full of marshmallows" day.In all seriousness, the first thing I did was read the topic regarding my promotion. I'm still baffled by how many people recognized me; I thought I was pretty quiet on the forums. :dazed:
«Takuma Nuva»

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

I can't tell if this is a list of people interested in staff, people just responding to an interesting topic, or a laundry list of who NOT to promote to staff! :P

A list of who to promote. :PVote for TWA for Emperor of BZPower! He promises sundaes! Okay, you have to buy them yourself, but he'd still encourage you to get one!

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

The first thing I did was take away all the fun in the blogs by outlawing chain-quoting. And I have enjoyed taking all the fun out of the blogs over and over again since. :)

Haha yup. :PI do agree with the chain quoting rule (I remember that era vividly, it got seriously out of hand x_x). But I still want to see that image-only ban removed or at least made more lax.Add to list of list of first things to do if I were staff: pester DV about blog rules.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Well, first I would professionally troll Black Six's trolling request for me to become staff, request an interview on the BZPowercast, and buy myself a box of donuts and a bunch of Sprite. Then I would request the PHP code for the old Hot Topics box and Member Spotlight and access to the database so I could fix those, get the skin contest going, open a new topic containing a list of banned words so we could open the floor on which words need to be removed from said filter, and post a bunch of polls. And then I would crash and collapse from two days without sleep. After which I would resume my normal forum browsing habits with no change, except maybe that instead of hitting the report button, I might actually do something about the rule violation at hand.

Well, first I would professionally troll Black Six's trolling request for me to become staff, request an interview on the BZPowercast, and buy myself a box of donuts and a bunch of Sprite.Then I would request the PHP code for the old Hot Topics box and Member Spotlight and access to the database so I could fix those, get the skin contest going, open a new topic containing a list of banned words so we could open the floor on which words need to be removed from said filter, and post a bunch of polls.And then I would crash and collapse from two days without sleep. After which I would resume my normal forum browsing habits with no change, except maybe that instead of hitting the report button, I might actually do something about the rule violation at hand.

I think you're just slightly over estimating the power of individual staffies.Just a little.
jlovfkk.jpg

Well, first I would professionally troll Black Six's trolling request for me to become staff, request an interview on the BZPowercast, and buy myself a box of donuts and a bunch of Sprite.Then I would request the PHP code for the old Hot Topics box and Member Spotlight and access to the database so I could fix those, get the skin contest going, open a new topic containing a list of banned words so we could open the floor on which words need to be removed from said filter, and post a bunch of polls.And then I would crash and collapse from two days without sleep. After which I would resume my normal forum browsing habits with no change, except maybe that instead of hitting the report button, I might actually do something about the rule violation at hand.

I think you're just slightly over estimating the power of individual staffies.Just a little.
Actually, it's either that or she's saying that she'd be motivated to do it quickly and efficiently as a part of the staff, even if it was hard for an individual. It would be nice if the staff could be motivated to actually do that (not that I'm assuming they're lazy), but I realize they have busy personal lives, so it makes it more difficult for them to perform their tasks as staffies. Still would be nice if they did fix things here and there, just to make the site actually look entirely complete.But, that would be most of what I would do if I were promoted as a staff member, honestly, no matter how long it took.

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

slipped away...

That post was offered in a slightly jocular vein. However, I would use any amount of persuasive powers available to head in that direction. I'm the kind of person that thrives on doing something instead of just sitting around and complaining. If nothing got done, it likely would be because of some extenuating circumstances (schoolwork) or because some people were getting in my way. :) Edited by fishers64

It's cute you think all of that can be accomplished in two days.We also already have a discussion on banned words going. We've had it going for years. It's not an easy topic.And the only people with access to the database are the BZPower administrators.Also also, I don't know why everyone wants the Hot Topics box back, it was one of the major contributors to the slow server. That thing has to trawl the forums every hour or so to register new posts and topics and rank them all. It's a major resource-hog.

Actually, it's either that or she's saying that she'd be motivated to do it quickly and efficiently as a part of the staff, even if it was hard for an individual. It would be nice if the staff could be motivated to actually do that (not that I'm assuming they're lazy), but I realize they have busy personal lives, so it makes it more difficult for them to perform their tasks as staffies. Still would be nice if they did fix things here and there, just to make the site actually look entirely complete.

Look, these are the kind of posts that make us grumpy, because if it were as easy as some of you seem to think it is we would have just already done these things. We have and are fixing things, we are having discussions on what to do about certain things, we are trying to do things. And a lot of the times when we do change these things, we get "this is dumb, change it back" or "well that took too long". Great motivation there.

I do agree with the chain quoting rule (I remember that era vividly, it got seriously out of hand x_x). But I still want to see that image-only ban removed or at least made more lax.

Image-only comments are a waste of space and that rule will not go away. You're lucky emoticons are exempt.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Actually, it's either that or she's saying that she'd be motivated to do it quickly and efficiently as a part of the staff, even if it was hard for an individual. It would be nice if the staff could be motivated to actually do that (not that I'm assuming they're lazy), but I realize they have busy personal lives, so it makes it more difficult for them to perform their tasks as staffies. Still would be nice if they did fix things here and there, just to make the site actually look entirely complete.

Look, these are the kind of posts that make us grumpy, because if it were as easy as some of you seem to think it is we would have just already done these things. We have and are fixing things, we are having discussions on what to do about certain things, we are trying to do things. And a lot of the times when we do change these things, we get "this is dumb, change it back" or "well that took too long". Great motivation there.
I didn't mean it in offense. I'd love to have it done, and I realize you guys are fixing it. It isn't like my brain can't process the info of you guys fixing things, because the way you're typing your posts make it sound like most of us are six-year-olds whining about every little detail of the site is terrible.Honestly? I appreciate every thing you guys do on the site. You work hard to make things look right. And usually, I'm saying, 'This is great', or 'It'll take awhile to get used to, but it's cool', but perhaps it doesn't come across as that. Nonetheless, I respect what you guys do for the site, and sometimes it doesn't come across as that.And hey, we've argued before, and right at this moment, before it goes any further, I'd like to bury the hatchet and just move on. I was just joking anyhow, you guys do a great job, but sometimes it doesn't seem like that, although there's no doubt in my mind you guys are pushing to get things done. Most of us don't see what's going on behind the scenes, and sometimes I'd like to see updates from you guys on what you're working on and how much progress has been made, just every once and awhile, maybe once every week or two. Just an idea.Nonetheless, I didn't mean to make anybody grumpy or angry, but just making a comment. I'd like to bury the hatchet and make amends, as both of us tend not to agree on things, considering past discussion we have shared. Again, I never meant to make anybody angry. Edited by Peach 00

slipped away...

It's cute you think all of that can be accomplished in two days.
Relax. I was only joking. It's like the members posting in here and saying "I'd ban everyone". I mean no insult to the current staff's productivity levels, and I would like to thank you for the rest of your post; it has left me better informed. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Peach 00 - the operations of this staff are rather opaque. I garner that if you guys had a bit more transparency, more stuff could get done. We know the problems, but we don't know the specifics of them, not enough to propose anything to help. I think that 200 minds are better than 20; if you gave us more information on what problems this site is currently facing, then somebody is likelier than not to think up a solution. More solutions = more stuff getting done. But that's just my opinion on the matter.Realistically, though, I imagine the communication between me and Mr. Six after my promotion would look more like this: fishers64: Can I fix [problem X] using [idea Y]?B6: Nope. fishers: Darn. *goes back to writing epics*

The thing that people have to realize is that the staff isn't made up of magicians, alchemists and unicorns. At least, not mostly. They can't please everyone at once, so they need to collectively decide first what people want. Next, if it's viable to do it. And then how they would go about doing it. And finally, how they would go about explaining and enforcing it. For example, the Hot Topic boxMembers: We want it!Staff: Okay, so, they want the Hot Topic box. We could do that, but we feel that it's not viable, since it does not seem to garner much attention, and uses too many resources.People just see the results, but not the work that goes into it, especially when that work is done by people with work, school, or families. Patience is a virtue, people!(Near total guess work here, just saying what seems to make sense to me)