If You Became Staff, What Would You Do First?

Jinkmeister

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Peach 00 - the operations of this staff are rather opaque. I garner that if you guys had a bit more transparency, more stuff could get done. We know the problems, but we don't know the specifics of them, not enough to propose anything to help. I think that 200 minds are better than 20; if you gave us more information on what problems this site is currently facing, then somebody is likelier than not to think up a solution. More solutions = more stuff getting done. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

inb4DeevssaysthisThere's really no way we could be a lot more transparent than we really are. We have on several occasions, mostly from Deevs (that I've seen), quite clearly what's going on and why we don't open the floor to members. If we left it to the members, suggestions would be things like negating the word filter almost entirely, allowing any and all links to forums/social networking sites, sub-forums in COT, etc. If the members are going to be helping make decisions regarding the site, what's the point in having staff? Yeah, yeah, there's still reports to handle, but surely you see where I'm coming from. The members that the head staff see fit for helping make those decisions do get to make suggestions. They're promoted.Yes, we have a list of items that need to get done and it is by no means small. In fact, it is all prioritized and guess what. All the items that are conveniences or perks for the staff are literally at the bottom of the list.Now, I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to be all superior or anything. I made a promise to myself and you guys when I became staff that I would not alienate you guys and remain an open-doors kind of guy. That said, know that, even if you're joking, I was in many ways similar to what you guys are saying when I was promoted. I was going to rush in and be ready to work, work, work until stuff got done. Unfortunately, you find that your efforts often get a big "no, not now because this is more important right now". Seriously, I've been pushing hard for the word filter update since Day 1. So far, I've only accomplished making a laughing stock of myself.That, and I work 40-50 hours a week. :mellow:
«Takuma Nuva»

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Peach 00 - the operations of this staff are rather opaque. I garner that if you guys had a bit more transparency, more stuff could get done. We know the problems, but we don't know the specifics of them, not enough to propose anything to help. I think that 200 minds are better than 20; if you gave us more information on what problems this site is currently facing, then somebody is likelier than not to think up a solution. More solutions = more stuff getting done. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

inb4DeevssaysthisThere's really no way we could be a lot more transparent than we really are. We have on several occasions, mostly from Deevs (that I've seen), quite clearly what's going on and why we don't open the floor to members. If we left it to the members, suggestions would be things like negating the word filter almost entirely, allowing any and all links to forums/social networking sites, sub-forums in COT, etc. If the members are going to be helping make decisions regarding the site, what's the point in having staff? Yeah, yeah, there's still reports to handle, but surely you see where I'm coming from. The members that the head staff see fit for helping make those decisions do get to make suggestions. They're promoted.Yes, we have a list of items that need to get done and it is by no means small. In fact, it is all prioritized and guess what. All the items that are conveniences or perks for the staff are literally at the bottom of the list.Now, I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to be all superior or anything. I made a promise to myself and you guys when I became staff that I would not alienate you guys and remain an open-doors kind of guy. That said, know that, even if you're joking, I was in many ways similar to what you guys are saying when I was promoted. I was going to rush in and be ready to work, work, work until stuff got done. Unfortunately, you find that your efforts often get a big "no, not now because this is more important right now". Seriously, I've been pushing hard for the word filter update since Day 1. So far, I've only accomplished making a laughing stock of myself.That, and I work 40-50 hours a week. :mellow:

«Takuma Nuva»

Okay, so I am wrong. I'm used to it. :P Yet another misconception of mine has been defeated, and I thank you for clearing it up.

The sig reports...... there were so many my first week @.@ (like 20+ in one message ;-;)

I may or may not have contributed to this traumatizing experience. :rolleyes:Basically the first thing I did was figure out how all the pretty new buttons work. There are more that don't work than ones that do. Then, after I got inundated with numerous congratulations (and picked Gata's brain about what to do :P) I started going about my work, sending PMs to unintentionally rule-breaking members, approving posts, et cetera. Most of what I do on BZPower hasn't changed, aside from the aforementioned new buttons. I think I've acclimatized fairly well.Though honestly if I was anything other than a forum mentor I'd close a bunch of topics/entries (and then promptly reopen them before I get into trouble). It's probably wise that they abducted offered me the FM job.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Shut down my PM box and comment system, and lock my blog....And I'm not joking. XDAnd then I would poke my head into staff matters, recoil in utter horror, lose my sanity, and spend the rest of my life in a looney bin.

Edited by Zarayna: The Quiet Light

See, the question here is, does becoming staff mean receiving a position of power like an Admin, or some entry-level position like staff normally start with?If we're talking about the former, I would probably remove all current staff and replace them with brainless puppets who would do my bidding. Then I would orchestrate a gradual brainwashing of all members of the forum to turn them into my unstoppable fighting army. Haha! Within weeks, the world would be mine! The old staff would be forced to watch powerlessly, as cities fall to my minions, their former allies! Kneel before you new ruler, fools!But if we're talking about the latter I would just timidly go about doing my job. :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

See, the question here is, does becoming staff mean receiving a position of power like an Admin, or some entry-level position like staff normally start with?

Realistically, I think we'd have to say we're talking about entry-level positions. Nobody nowadays gets promoted to Global Moderator or Admin straight away. I think the sudden power would drive them mad.

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

:kaukau: I'd just do whatever was expected of me. Staff positions don't seem that prestigious, considering that I can talk to them pretty much like I can any other member. The only thing I can think of that I would immediately do differently would be to start reading topics that i don't normally read just to be well-informed of what conversations are brewing, and although it's a little time-consuming it's no big deal.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

I would act like a total newbie to the job, ask a million questions, stumble several times before learning how to do my job, start offering suggestions just to do something more, learn what's realistic and what isn't in running a forum, get used to the responsibilities, and everything would be (relatively) smooth sailing from there.I'm serious.

Suspend people without telling them.

Wait, does that mean you do it already?
She's a Global moderator - I believe that only admins can suspend members.
Ah. Shows what I know. :P
I'm pretty sure I can keep members from posting for a set amount of days, which is kinda like suspension, but no, I'm not one to do that kind of thing. :P

Suspend people without telling them.

Wait, does that mean you do it already?
She's a Global moderator - I believe that only admins can suspend members.
Ah. Shows what I know. :P
I'm pretty sure I can keep members from posting for a set amount of days, which is kinda like suspension, but no, I'm not one to do that kind of thing. :w
That's reassuring! :P

No no, trust me, any staff member can just snap his fingers and allow whatever they want to happen automatically. Things like forum fixes, modifying the word filter, re-skinning, a new system for leaving bzp, all of it we could do if we wanted in a second because none of them actually take any effort at all! We simply choose not to improve them because we are diabolical.

My answer is "snap my fingers"or "do my job"whichever -Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

Ya'll wanna know what the first thing I did when I became a staff member? Clear through the forty-five e-mails that had piled up in the hours between my promotion and my checking.

Now that I remember, it was exactly like that for me, too, probably even more than 45 reports. :P Those were the days, when there were so many reports every day. :P~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Ya'll wanna know what the first thing I did when I became a staff member? Clear through the forty-five e-mails that had piled up in the hours between my promotion and my checking.

Now that I remember, it was exactly like that for me, too, probably even more than 45 reports. :P Those were the days, when there were so many reports every day. :P~Gata. ;)
Ah, Forum Mentoring. The days when reports flooded my inbox... Alas.Yeah, I like not having to constant clear it.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

If I were to have the power to close and open topics I'd fiddle with that back and forth for a while. Topic open, topic closed, topic open, topic closed . . .~B~

So would I.On topic I'd first ask if Black Six was alright in the head, stare in shock that I became a staff, and finally feel like I accomplished something.And do my job forgot about that

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Do my job.Unless I had a super job (Admin or something)...Then I would simply close and open every topic in a forum constantly...Off. On. Off. On.Until they fire me.Which I wouldn't mind, because I really have little desire to be any sort of staffie.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

What I did do when I was promoted Forum Mentor was read through a lot of the rule topics (as well as the old Reference Desk/other help topics), and then frantically tried to do as much as I could. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I would act like a normal staff member for the first four days, then go insane with power and ban everyone on this site.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

Close a topic. And a have a surreal "is this for real?" moment.

Then I'd become corrupted, use my power for personal gain, ban everyone, and create a utopia named after myself.

???Profit

I'd probably be a sarcastic butthead or something.

I thought that's why you were promoted.

Sorry, but that ain't happenin'. Thursday is already "Water Polo while singing Weird Al songs with mouths full of marshmallows" day.

I'm there... well, I'm really here. But metaphorically I'm there.

I can't tell if this is a list of people interested in staff, people just responding to an interesting topic, or a laundry list of who NOT to promote to staff! :P

I think it's all of the above.

Well, first I would professionally troll Black Six's trolling request for me to become staff, request an interview on the BZPowercast, and buy myself a box of donuts and a bunch of Sprite.Then I would request the PHP code for the old Hot Topics box and Member Spotlight and access to the database so I could fix those, get the skin contest going, open a new topic containing a list of banned words so we could open the floor on which words need to be removed from said filter, and post a bunch of polls.And then I would crash and collapse from two days without sleep. After which I would resume my normal forum browsing habits with no change, except maybe that instead of hitting the report button, I might actually do something about the rule violation at hand.

I think you're just slightly over estimating the power of individual staffies.Just a little.
Nah, it's perfectly logical reasoning.

The thing that people have to realize is that the staff isn't made up of magicians, alchemists and unicorns.

You're right. It's ponies, not unicorns.

I made a promise to myself and you guys when I became staff that I would not alienate you guys and remain an open-doors kind of guy.

That's why I voted for you in the primaries. :P

Basically the first thing I did was figure out how all the pretty new buttons work. There are more that don't work than ones that do.

Heheh, that is fun. But they are buttons, and you do get to press them. Whether or not they do anything is beside the point.

I'm pretty sure I can keep members from posting for a set amount of days, which is kinda like suspension, but no, I'm not one to do that kind of thing. :P

Aw, I thought you were gonna be all like an evil apprentice or something with dreams of grandeur.©1984-2012 Toaraga EAM Edited by Toaraga

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life

Simple, I'd play along as just another staff member and do my job respectfully to gain the trust of my comrades. The next step would be to get them to ally with me and start a revolution to overthrow Hapori Tohu. Not to say I want to be the new gear head, but I think it would be fun for a while. XP Then, once everyone in the staff is distracted by the civil war on BZP (which will be known as the Cool Dude fiasco), I will worm my way into a group that is able to decide what is canon in the Bionicle story, and thus I shall be one step closer to making little changes in the story until it is to my liking (making JallerxHahli and HewkiixMacku canon for example). And that is why I will never become staff. (The other answer I was going to give was "memorize the rules" but that just seemed too boring XP).

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing