Rock / Alternative Rock

I've listened to both of Silversun Pickups' released albums, Carnavas and Swoon. I have to say, they make some great alternative rock. Swoon is my favored album; its tunes are more consistent than Carnavas's, and the inclusion of strings (whether synthesized or not) adds a neat touch.EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also listened to Yellowcard's album When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes a while back. 'Twas quite the enjoyable listen. Whereas Ocean Avenue is more youthful and energetic, When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes is somewhat more mature and retrospective; both albums are great, though.

Edited by Legolover-361

I've never heard of The Flaming Lips. I haven't heard of a lot of bands, really, whether modern or old. :PWho else here is looking forward to Linkin Park's album Living Things? (I bet very few people here are, considering the users who are actually posting in this topic, lol.) I have a suspicion there won't be any good rap-rock songs to rival those on Hybrid Theory and Meteora (which have both grown on me greatly since I acquired them), but I was one of the Linkin Park fans satisfied with A Thousand Suns, so more raps and aggressive songs would be less a requirement and more a bonus for me.

I've listened to both of Silversun Pickups' released albums, Carnavas and Swoon. I have to say, they make some great alternative rock. Swoon is my favored album; its tunes are more consistent than Carnavas's, and the inclusion of strings (whether synthesized or not) adds a neat touch.

<3the new album Neck of the Woods drops in just a couple weeks, it's gonna be amazing.

Who else here is looking forward to Linkin Park's album Living Things? (I bet very few people here are, considering the users who are actually posting in this topic, lol.) I have a suspicion there won't be any good rap-rock songs to rival those on Hybrid Theory and Meteora (which have both grown on me greatly since I acquired them), but I was one of the Linkin Park fans satisfied with A Thousand Suns, so more raps and aggressive songs would be less a requirement and more a bonus for me.

not exactly looking forward to it per se, but I'm interested and plan on checking it out. Linkin Park were my first favorite band, so I almost feel this obligation to not hate them.plus I thought A Thousand Suns was pretty solid for what it was. Edited by Eucliwood

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to Silversun Pickups' latest single, "Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)". The single sounds a little simplistic for Silversun Pickups, but then again "Lazy Eye" was the same in my humble opinion. I'm expecting more electronic experimentation and hoping for some more good bass lines and guitar riffs, hopefully better than those in "Bloody Mary".

I didn't like "Lazy Eye" the first time I heard it (individually on Pandora), but the second time I heard it while listening to the album, I liked it. I think "Bloody Mary" will grow on me a little when I listen to the actual album.Speaking of which, the Silversun Pickups have a full album stream on their website. I don't know how long it will stay up, but I hope to take advantage of it.

Edited by Legolover-361

I've only heard "Float On" by Modest Mouse. I don't like the singer's voice much, but the music is decent. Are there any songs you would recommend?

Oh it'll grow on you. I used to feel the same way.I'd recommend their older stuff, honestly.Anything from Long Drive or Lonesome Crowded West, and Building Nothing Out Of SomethingIf you want specifics...-Teeth Like God's Shoeshine-Dramamine-Heart Cooks Brain-Lounge (Closing Time)-Interstate 8-Broke-Workin' On Leavin' The Livin'-Whenever You Breathe Out, I Breathe In (Positive Negative)

only in dreams.

I've listened only to "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine", and I still don't like the singer's voice. It's too... shouty. Like, in lieu of hitting notes, the singer just kind of shouts. :P I'll give the band some time to grow on me, though.While we're on the topic of grow-on-you vocalists, does anyone like Counting Crows? I used to dislike half of their songs when I was younger, but recently I've found myself enthralled by their lyricism. I only have their compilation album Films About Ghosts, which is also their only album to which I've listened; I plan to listen to their other albums sometime soon and figure out whether I should look for them or not.

CELLDWELLER My love for his work is endless

╔╗──╔═══╦═══╦══╦════╦╗─╔╗

║║──║╔══╣╔═╗╠╣╠╣╔╗╔╗║║─║║

║║──║╚══╣║─║║║║╚╝║║╚╣╚═╝║

║║─╔╣╔══╣╚═╝║║║──║║─║╔═╗║

║╚═╝║╚══╣╔═╗╠╣╠╗─║║─║║─║║

╚═══╩═══╩╝─╚╩══╝─╚╝─╚╝─╚╝

I just listened to the song "Lies Greed Misery" by Linkin Park, leaked off their album Living Things. Chester Bennington's pronunciation of "misery" (MIS-er-ee, not mis-er-AY!) and, honestly, the entire chorus bring the track's quality down to "decent", but the rapped verses and the bridge are pretty good.My expectations for Living Things remain thoroughly mixed.

you should listen to dramamine theni promise he singshe shouts a lot, but he sings

He does indeed sing.I like "Dramamine", but the riff that repeats throughout the whole song makes listening somewhat monotonous.

• 2 weeks later...

you should listen to dramamine theni promise he singshe shouts a lot, but he sings

He does indeed sing.I like "Dramamine", but the riff that repeats throughout the whole song makes listening somewhat monotonous.
but that's the magicalso listen to Teeth Like God's Shoeshinelots of shouting, but dat melodic section is amazing

only in dreams.

• 3 weeks later...

Who else here listens to The Dear Hunter? Their frontman is Casey Crescenzo, formerly of the also-awesome band The Receiving End of Sirens, but whereas The Receiving End of Sirens was post-hardcore / experimental rock, The Dear Hunter is alternative rock / progressive rock / indie rock. I've listened to both The Color Spectrum and Act I: The Lake South, the River North in their entireties and am currently listening through Act II: The Meaning of, and All Things Regarding Ms. Leading; I really enjoy what I've heard thus far.

Living Things by Linkin Park is surprisingly good.
I find myself in agreement.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

DON'T GET ALL BUTTPAINED
Gotta say that this is the hurtful part~

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Today Bloc Party released a new song, "Octopus." It was the first release since they went on hiatus in 2009.I love Bloc Party and was worried it would disappoint since they've been gone so long. It certainly didn't disappoint.