Have Any Sets Been Temporary Favorites Until You Bought Them?

Jean Valjean

:kaukau: In case the title doesn't speak for itself, I mean: Have you ever found yourself falling in love with a new set, calling it the best ever, only for the honeymoon to end shortly thereafter?That was essentially me with the Vahki. I was literally thinking something along the lines of "Step aside, Rahkshi, you've been rendered obsolete!" It took me a month or two to become disenfranchised, but I remember that night I went out running off my excitement. Now I think the Vahki have quite a few shortcomings, although I definitely like them more than some other stuff. I only wish that they had some equivalent of masks.To a lesser extent, this happened with the Metru, since they had not only knees but elbows and neck joints, and were innovative in many, many ways. Though I ended up deciding that I liked the older designs much more after playing with the sets. Still, I think they're pretty cool compared to the cookie-cutter designs that came later on, and part of me always did remain affectionate. Just...not as much as with the original Toa.Again, it happened with the Hordika, although they came closer to what happened with the Vahki, mainly because they didn't have masks, and their armor was all the same color.But after that point, my feelings about sets once they came out were pretty consistent. The Visorak, Piraka, Inika, Barraki, Mahri, Phantoka, Mistika, and Glatorians were pretty easy to assess. Perhaps it was that by then I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Nui-Jaga.Even my five-year-old mind could grasp that it was the worst of the Rahi, but only after constructing other sets in that wave/genre such as the Nui-Rama. The Nui-Jaga, being the first Rahi that I had ever built, completely blew me out of the water until I realized that they weren't nearly as good as the other Rahi. To this day, they are still my least favorite, although I don't think they're really "bad" unless compared to a better set. As they stand alone, I'd say they're a pretty average set for the era.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I felt this way with the Rockoh T3, although it's continued to grow on me. I wasn't all that impressed with it when I had completed building it, but it seems pretty cool to me now. Same with Gali Mistika, although I still prefer Gali Mata over her. Gali Mata is probably my favorite set now, honestly. ^^

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

:kaukau: Gali, in her original form, is probably my favorite, too (though it's tough competition with some of the other original Toa). but hey, she's been in my avatar since, like, ever, and I've made it pretty clear that the Kaukau's my favorite, so cool. So congratulations of having awesome tastes.Actually, I think I sidestepped the typical feelings that many people had toward the Bohrok Kal. I thought they were cool. I still think they're cool. Sure, they were a repeat, but that didn't much occur to me, since it seemed natural within the context of the story, and overall the Bohrok were amazing sets as far as the schematics of their design.Then the Rahkshi came along, and for the longest time they have contested with the Bohrok for my favorite villain sets, although recently my favor has been in decline. I still think they portray an air of menage better then the Bohrok, especially since they belonged to the plot that wasn't about elements but about a struggle between light and darkness, but as far as their technical designs so, they do leave something to be desired, since waving their arms around was a little pathetic, unlike the sheer awesomeness of Bohrok head-snapping action. So my entertainment from the Rahkshi takes on a different form than it used to, and it evokes a different sense of nostalgia. I guess this was a honeymoon that took nine years to wear off.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Probably when I got Lesovikk, because (as you'd expect from a 2007 lime set) he arrived cracked. :(One day I'll get enough spare lime pieces to fix it (all it'll take is a single Keelerak), but in the meantime I feel it's just too risky to even play with.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

i will admit that to me the barraki were a huge letdownand maybe keetongu. also some of the agori and the vorox

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Kopaka Mata, my first ever set, because I foolishly believed the art which made it look like the neck and knees, elbows, etc. were poseable/bendable, but they liiiiiiiiiiied.I still think it was the best original set though, all things considered. :PAfter that I lowered my expectations accordingly for the other sets, heh. And that became a major thing I looked for in later sets, and loved it when we finally got it with Inika and beyond. I pretty consistently liked the ones I bought of those (though I didn't buy as many as the originals) as much as I thought I would.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Tarix was kind of a letdown for me. He looked so cool on the canister and in pictures, but when I got him he turned out to be kinda... meh. The weapons weren't as good as I thought they'd be, and the build was boring overall (although by that point I should have seen it coming). The Metru and Mata blue combined wasn't my favorite either.

19704_s.gif

Two words: Gali. Mistika.I thought Gali looked cool, but I assumed she had other weapons.That one had next to NO weapons (other than the ghostblaster. Now it gathers dust for me)

I will admit that she was such a disappointment. and the way they did her mask was a letdown. although the only good part in my opinion is her shoulder armor. besides that there is nothing else i saw in her.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Hmm...I was extremely excited about the return of Mata Nui in 2009. When I got the set, I thought it was great. After a week or so, I realized that it was very underwhelming, and nothing too great. My excitement was built up so high that when I first opened it I was still ecstatic. Apart from that...Barraki. I found the bodies were too unarmored and loose. The Mahri were more pleasing (to me, that is).

Takua Nui

of

GoAnimate

Vultraz. It just looked like the coolest thing, a Matoran with a bawling little speeder, completed with a compartment for ammo, swishing around even when surrounded by these massive intimidating titants.Then after a while, I realised it was kind of just a stick with wings.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Hmm...I was extremely excited about the return of Mata Nui in 2009. When I got the set, I thought it was great. After a week or so, I realized that it was very underwhelming, and nothing too great. My excitement was built up so high that when I first opened it I was still ecstatic. Apart from that...Barraki. I found the bodies were too unarmored and loose. The Mahri were more pleasing (to me, that is).

i know what you mean the barraki were very depressing. although i did like mantax there was Something about him but with Pridak, Ehlek and Takadox were the worst of the barraki. Although i loved the toa mahri how ech one had it's own similar design but with it's own touches like hewkii having those blades on his shoulder or kongu with that body style that would later on be used by Pohatu Phantoka.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

I'm gonna have to go with Krika. He's a fantastic-looking set, but after spilling out the contents of the canister and eagerly putting him together, I was underwhelmed. It took, what, two minutes to build him? Not that I'm looking for a great build with a canister set, but there's gotta be something. After all that enthusiasm, realizing how simple his build was was like slamming on the brakes and lurching forward into my seat belt. Just unsubstantial.Also, I'm gonna have to list Onua, one of my favorite Toa of all time, because he wasn't silver like the picture on the can.

The Piraka. I went through a Voyatoran mindset when I first got Zaktan. Thought he was a Toa of Air, the baddest Toa of Air ever to walk the carpet of my room. The light-up eyes were just awesome icing on the epic cake. Mind, this was before the storyline for these guys was released. Then I checked the website after a few weeks and found out he was just some kind of non-mask-using bandit guy. So really, the story ruined it for me, not the set itself. That and the fact that all of my light-up eye pieces recently ran out of batteries simultaneously.

MENTAL WOUNDS NOT HEALING

LIFE'S A BITTER SHAME

I'M GOING OFF THE RAILS ON THE CRAZY TRAIN

phantoka pohatu...terrible...just terriblebut i hated the phankuta when they came out, and now i want them :(EDIT: reminded of berix...great blue flame, but the joint connecters snapped....and not just hair-line crack, but SNAP! right off the arms AND legsbroke all 4 limbs and the head, feet got some sort of weird unwashable goo on them, and the only things that are OK are the flame, tube and torso, and the only thing that's MINT is the torso

Edited by ben61

so...this is...my sig...

i'll put some stuff here soon...

don't really know why i'm typing this...

i'm so pathetic...

it's bulk 3.0 time!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ehthak/HFChibis/bulk3.0.swf

props to Xidash for the sig, got it from the epig sigpet shop!

Makuta Gorast. I have no idea why I liked it so much, but when I built it, I saw that there was nothing special. Makuta Krika, on the other hand, had the opposite happen to him. I thought "He's lame." for a reason I can't remember, but at that same birthday party I got Gorast, I saw he was really cool. Can't remember why.

The Glatorian and possibly the Toa Inika. The only reason I was excited for the Glatorian was due to the fact that I got some of them "early". I'm not sure of anyone else's opinions on Gresh and Skrall, but they severely put me off as far as the rest of the Glatorian line. The Inika are still just about my favorites, but their commercial that aired in July 2006 made them seem infinitely more epic than they wound up being.

Edited by Hau-Great Mask Of Armor

Comics coming eventually: The Bionicles Try to Run A House

Upcoming MOCs: Sir Lesovikk, New Tokotoru.

Current MOCs: ROTF Ravage.

Dead MOCs: The Tokotoru, this fire monster, this turtle.

This topic. Love it and cherish it. Do it for the lulz.