Hydraxon And Spinax: Before The Pit

Dwanny

Woot! Its done! This thing took me four days to make, and i pretty much put my heart and soul into it.So, ladies and gentlemen, i give you: Hydraxon and Spinax- Before the pit!I think its a rather big file, so ima link it.http://www.brickshel..._and_spinax.jpgMade completely with ArtLine pens (5mm, 3mm, 1mm) pencils and paper. (no duh)This was mainly a test for shading with pens, and since i liked it, i thought i might share it. :sigh:See here, a brief (yeah right) summary of how i did it:1. First i drew Spinax's position, along with the basic skeleton, and i must say i'm rather fond of it.2. After that, i started working on it's head. Though you cant see it now, it used to look a lot more like spinax's head in the set. Oh, and it was about 3 times the sise it is now. Other than that, there's not much difference.3.Then came the rest. I considered giving him spines, but then i decided that they could just serve as yet another mutation that came along with descending into the black waters of the pit.On the whole, i took a rather simple approach to Spinax, and i think that helped the "organic" feel along.For Hydraxon, however, i took a completely different approach. Instead of drawing all the detail at the end, i did what most would "elementary school style": First the head in full detail, then the bady, also in full detail, and so on. In retrospect, i get the feeling he looks more mechanical, wich is good.It just adds that extra contrast between the two characters. (in retrospect, you said brief, wich just adds that extra contrast between what you say, and what is reality.)In the end, i coloured in their eyes, for extra drama.Credit to Taka Nuvia, for suggesting inking. Without her, i would be completely stuck, without inspiration. Check her out, she makes great art! :happydance:C&C appreciated-DwannyP.S. just so i dont get bombarded with posts that all say the same, i KNOW Hydraxon's head is kinda blurry, and i KNOW it looks like he has a walrus mustache. Thank you. :P

Edited by Dwanny

Nice job but, something about this pic bothers me, Spinax legs. Spinax legs do not look very animal like and I think the claws could be a little bigger and wider. Hydraxon looks awesome though. The lower part of the arms look exactly like a certain bionicle piece we all know and so do the upper arms. I give it 4 1/2 stars. Oh and one more thing I never knew u had a hart most people I know have a heart.

Edited by TOA PIRAKA HAKANN 2.0

It's a great drawing but Spinax's legs look too much like a Toa and Hydraxon still looks a bit like the Pit version.

Yes, i know. I wanted to stay true to the set, and Spinax's legs are kinda like toa (in the set, that is). Oh well.I also wanted Hydraxon to be recogniseable, but still be slightly different.-Dwanny

I quite like the look of this! Both Hydraxon and Spinax look nice, but I especially like Spinax. You've got him in a great pose there, and the inking looks terrific, especially on his eyes and claws.My only nitpick would be the Matoro blades on Hydraxon's shoulders: they look a little flat compared to the rest of the piece. And Spinax's legs could preobably use a little more detail.But for the most part, this is a great little piece! The inking really makes everything 'pop', the shading is excellent, and Spinax's 'bestial' look is first-class. Aside from adding a little more detail, I think you've really hit the nail on the head with this piece of art!Keep it up! I hope to see more of this style from you; it looks great.:e:

Whoah, your skills are improving exponentially! O=Wow. Hey, you should really keep up inking, you seem to have quite a talent for it. The way you added texture by the way of hatching you use is just great. Apart from the eyes, it kind of reminds me a bit of etching, which is extra awesome. (I actually did some etching in art class last year... my hand hurt so much :'D)And now onto the coloured eyes, oh, those eyes. They really bring life to the drawing. I especially like them on Spinax, as they really stand out.*praise, praise, admire*Just a small thing - a background, even if only suggested by a few lines would be nice. It would give the piece an even more 'finished look'. That's only a minor thing, though.

and i KNOW it looks like he has a walrus mustache.

I don't see no walrus moustache. IMO he looks totally fine. ^^So, uh, I guess that's it. It's an awesome drawing, you should be REALLY proud of it! :)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

:kaukau: I like the slight alterations, but aren't Spinax's legs rather blocky? it just gives me the impression that it was a hasty project (and I know, it took four days). It contrasts with the more fluid flow of his other parts.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh Edited by Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Wow, you have quite the knack for inking! And I love that your shading really gives so much texture to the drawing. Also, the slight colour in their eyes is brilliant; it really brings the picture to life.I don't really have any qualms about this picture, except that you may want to give them both shadows. While it's not too hard envisioning the ground, I can't help but see them floating in nothingness, and it just seems that shadows would really complete the picture anyway.But hey, KUTGW. ^_^

bannnnner.png