The Herald of Darkness - Review Topic

ZOMBI3S

Another neat chapter. I especially enjoyed the description of Slithrak's village.

Now to guiltily skim through past chapters while I refresh myself on Raipu... :| I definitely didn't forget him and how he's connected to Aya.

• Upvote 1
Every hero is born from his enemy; every leader, his followers; and every father, his children.

My 3D printing designs on Thingiverse

Another neat chapter. I especially enjoyed the description of Slithrak's village.

Now to guiltily skim through past chapters while I refresh myself on Raipu... :| I definitely didn't forget him and how he's connected to Aya.

Me: hey remember this character? :)

Readers: I mean that was literally years ago but okay

Me: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sorry for being the biggest procrastinator in the world lol

Buuuut thanks for staying with me!!!

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit, I really thought you had given up on the epic, this time. Good to know you're still working on it. I won't deny I'm hoping the lapses between chapters to be somewhat shorter from now on... though of course, it's obvious that work/family/real life come first.

Three-Finger Island... not bad, definitely didn't see that coming (considering that it was never featured in any canon medium, not even in 2001-2003), but I appreciated the choice. Though at this point I wonder how long the journey to the Eastern Continent will be... you've always been consistent with time, so I wonder how many chapters it'll take. I must say that the Takua sections of the last few chapters were starting to look somewhat uneventful. This is different, of course, given the scene where Illum's message reaches Takua (I'm not very clear as to how it happened, though I suppose that will be explained later; I'm also waiting to see if what the Toa did a few chapters back will have any effect), though I do hope the consequences won't take too long to emerge.

Turning to the Ta-Koro portion... to begin with, I think it is the best-described village of the six. In general, I've loved your idea to enlarge the villages and turn them into cities of sorts and with Ta-Koro I'd say the idea has worked particularly well. As for the whole Illum issue, I'll be waiting to see how it all works out before passing judgement.

• Like 1

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

On 12/22/2019 at 8:17 AM, Toa of Italy said:

I must admit, I really thought you had given up on the epic, this time. Good to know you're still working on it. I won't deny I'm hoping the lapses between chapters to be somewhat shorter from now on... though of course, it's obvious that work/family/real life come first.

Three-Finger Island... not bad, definitely didn't see that coming (considering that it was never featured in any canon medium, not even in 2001-2003), but I appreciated the choice. Though at this point I wonder how long the journey to the Eastern Continent will be... you've always been consistent with time, so I wonder how many chapters it'll take. I must say that the Takua sections of the last few chapters were starting to look somewhat uneventful. This is different, of course, given the scene where Illum's message reaches Takua (I'm not very clear as to how it happened, though I suppose that will be explained later; I'm also waiting to see if what the Toa did a few chapters back will have any effect), though I do hope the consequences won't take too long to emerge.

Turning to the Ta-Koro portion... to begin with, I think it is the best-described village of the six. In general, I've loved your idea to enlarge the villages and turn them into cities of sorts and with Ta-Koro I'd say the idea has worked particularly well. As for the whole Illum issue, I'll be waiting to see how it all works out before passing judgement.

Hey yeah my bad.... so a while back I read through my last two parts and quickly realized that they A) did not remotely follow any character arcs B) did not answer any questions that had been proposed earlier in the story C) just kind of were really bad in general! So I had to take a LOT of time to rework them. Ta-Koro's part is the longest one so far, given that it's basically telling two stories a the same time. Still have a bit of work to do, but I can for sure promise the lapses in posting won't be nearly as bad as this last one.

Thanks for still being here :)

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

• 3 weeks later...

And thus a small ray of hope begins to shine. :)

I really enjoyed this turnaround point for Takua's story, and the twist with Mako already has my mind churning.

I definitely think that time you spent reworking has paid off, this chapter was quiet, but so thoughtful.

• Like 1
Every hero is born from his enemy; every leader, his followers; and every father, his children.

My 3D printing designs on Thingiverse

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 8:47 PM, ZOMBI3S said:

I'd just like to thank my family, friends, my beloved readers, as well as the academy. I never thought I'd be able to accomplish this feat, but five chapters? Five?? In a relatively consistent posting schedule?? Amazing. I've truly reached my peak as a writer.

Yes, for those of us following the story, this is definitely good news.

I'm very intrigued by this last chapter. Takua's part still seems to be proceeding a bit slowly, but judging from the conversation Takua overhears in the previous chapter, things might soon come to a climax. And at last Aya speaks to Illum, who confirms himself as one of the most interesting and complex characters of this epic. I must say, the cliffhanger of the Energized Protodermis (I was a bit surprised you call it "Energized", since that term was introduced in 2004, if I remember correctly in the 2001-2003 canon it was a mystery substance called simply Protodermis) is masterful... I seriously can't wait for the next chapter.

• Like 1

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

On 3/14/2020 at 8:56 AM, Toa of Italy said:

Yes, for those of us following the story, this is definitely good news.

I'm very intrigued by this last chapter. Takua's part still seems to be proceeding a bit slowly, but judging from the conversation Takua overhears in the previous chapter, things might soon come to a climax. And at last Aya speaks to Illum, who confirms himself as one of the most interesting and complex characters of this epic. I must say, the cliffhanger of the Energized Protodermis (I was a bit surprised you call it "Energized", since that term was introduced in 2004, if I remember correctly in the 2001-2003 canon it was a mystery substance called simply Protodermis) is masterful... I seriously can't wait for the next chapter.

Yeah I went back and forth on the term for a while... finally decided on using it. I do try and keep it 2001-2003 but some things are just widely accepted for the Bionicle audience and would be weird if I used the original terms (Tohunga vs. Matoran, etc.). I think 'Energized' makes for a better cliffhanger too :)

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC