Mr. Fluffy

I was also a bit disappointed that Korra gained the ability to give others their bending back, if only because it makes a resolution to the anti-bending movement much farther away. If she hadn't gotten that ability, then all of a sudden the council would be composed largely of nonbenders, which would certainly ease tensions. I suppose since she has that ability, though, we can't expect her to withhold it for some people based solely on pragmatism.
However, the only person we see her use it on is Lin, who is probably going to take back her job as chief of police, or at least continue to serve on the force. She's someone who is willing and able to directly use her powers to protect society. The councilors, on the other hand, might not feel the need to have such powers anymore, since their job is deliberation and not necessarily tied to combat. If we knew more about their characters we might be able to guess.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Not knowing their characters is definitely a problem. If we're to use the arm example, if your arm had been brutally mutilated and you lost it, had to cope with that, and then had a choice to get it back? And that's just the physical side of things, who knows what sort of ramifications having part of your spirit reunited would have. It'd be very hard, and a very large sacrifice, to choose not to bend again. Think less your smartphone getting smashed and you choosing to go without one and more, well, loosing your arm and choosing to go without one.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

...wait, how what were what.Are the creators involved in this? While this is great, it reeks of executive meddling to me.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

...wait, how what were what.Are the creators involved in this? While this is great, it reeks of executive meddling to me.
They just ordered more episodes. They've already done it before, since there were originally going to be only 12 episodes.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Alright, so no "you get this new extra long season, buuuuut you have to do this"Good to know. It'll be nice to have some room to explore more stuff.

voidstars.png

Nick just announced there'll be 26 more episodes of Korra... On top of season 2! :biggrin:~|ET|~
Just saw that! So pumped! Though I'm a little worried if the show's creators will be able to keep up a quality show for 4 seasons. The first show only lasted 3 seasons, and I'm not sure how much ideas they can pull out of the hat considering that Korra's already a fully realized Avatar.
i hope the new season doesn't start soon.freakin' viacom.
It probably won't start til next spring. But yeah, the Viacom-Direct TV thing's getting on my nerves too.

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

There's a video going around of Steve Blum telling a few jokes in Amon's voice.It ishilarious.
*Facepalm*i cant believe i just googled that.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Three more books... woohoo!
Sorry mate, I did some research. It's just going be one long season, not three separate books.Besides, 3 divided into 26 would mean 8.666 episodes per book. That'd be reeeeally short. Edited by Game Master Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Three more books... woohoo!
Sorry mate, I did some research. It's just going be one long season, not three separate books.Besides, 3 divided into 26 would mean 8.666 episodes per book. That'd be reeeeally short.
I think they were referring to the newly-announced 26 episodes taking the form of two books on top of the book 2 we already have. Thus, three new books.But the 26 episodes will all be book 3? It sure is weird having seasons with vastly differing episode counts after the attractive 20-20-21 organization of the original series.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I was a little confused with the announcement and how they were distinguishing season and book, but as I understand it, barring any more renewals, we'll have two seasons, two books in each season, four books total, each book with an average of 13.Technically, the order was just for more episodes; theoretically they could have a mega season 2 of just 26 episodes straight, but that seems a little weird to me.

Um, no. The original seasons of Avatar was 24 episodes long; 26 episodes for a final season isn't really that weird.From what I understand, we're going have Book 1 (12 episodes), Book 2 (14 episodes), and Book 3 (26 episodes). A book and a season, from what I understand, are exactly the same thing.

voidstars.png

Um, no. The original seasons of Avatar was 24 episodes long; 26 episodes for a final season isn't really that weird.
No, the first two seasons were 20 episodes and the third was 21 to accommodate the enormous finale. 61 episodes total.It'll be interesting to see how they handle the two-book seasons, whether the seasons will have an overarching plot in two separate parts, or something else.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Really? Hrm. Guess I should re-watch the old series before talking about it xDStill, one big 26 episode season would be pretty epic. New Korra for half a year!On the downside, it'd appear Book 2 will not be coming out until 2013.

Edited by Game Master Alex Humva

voidstars.png

It would be weird from their current standpoint; the entire point of a 12-episode season was in order to tell a more concise story and omit filler. If they had asked for a full season, I think they probably would have gotten it.As for the next ones, it is interesting to see how they handle the plot direction, now that they actually know in advance that they have the leeway.But yes, book 2 not until 2013. Sad day >:Hopefully in like, January or something =P.

the different font displayed below is coming straight from Bryan's tumblr. basically, a book is still a season from the viewers standpoint, as it still has the complete story arch and the first two Books have the same production and release schedule as a normal season (I don't know if Book 3 and 4 will follow that pattern, it's possible that they won't) it's simply that the studio considers them as seasons for some reason that doesn't quite make sense to me...while more Korra is indubitably awesome, I'm not sure I like the shorter Books, for one simple reason: character development, or rather lack of thereof. I accepted all of the new main characters when they were introduced because expecting them to have the same depth of personality right off the bat as the original Team Avatar would be insane. However, I was expecting development over time, which really seemed obvious seeing how well the original series did it. I did enjoy the tightly woven plot, however I'd point to Book 2 of Avatar as the epitome of having both character development and a tightly bound plot on a television series. The problem is the lack of breathing room. In an interview Bryke once justified the season length by comparing it to shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, however those programs have 48 minutes running time. There isn't enough room to show the characters when you're shoving all that plot in that amount of time. Legend of Korra needs. character. development. badly. I can't believe I'm even saying that.anyways, below lies Byran's post –Book 1 = 12 episodes–Book 2 = 14 episodes–Book 3 = 13 episodes–Book 4 = 13 episodes–TOTAL = 52 episodesInitially, Nickelodeon picked up Korra as a 12-episode miniseries. Their idea was to do 12-episode arcs that were more standalone than the original Avatar series. Mike and I were cool with this idea, as we had originally wanted the seasons to be 12 episodes long instead of 20, and creatively we liked the idea of doing tighter story arcs.The original plan was that if Nickelodeon wanted more episodes, they would order them 12 episodes at a time. But while we were in production on Book 1, Nickelodeon decided to change their season lengths from 20 episodes (like Avatar had) to the more standardized international length of 26 episodes. They liked how Book 1 was coming out and decided to round out the order to fit their new 26-episode mold, and we got a 14-episode pick-up, which became Book 2.Then, the network wanted even more Korra, so they picked up another order of 26 episodes. Mike and I wanted to stick with the shorter “books,” so creatively we are splitting the second order of 26 into Books 3 & 4, 13 episodes each.What makes this even more confusing is that the network considers each block of 26 episodes a “season,” which is another reason we try to stick to calling these Korra arcs “books.” So for the network’s purposes, Books 1 & 2 are Season 1, and Books 3 & 4 are Season 2.

Edited by Derpman!

27823982019_d53174fab1_b.jpg

So in network lingo there's two seasons, whereas for practical aspects there's four. Good to know.But yes, the shorter episodes and books means much less character exploration, which is always a problem. I do hope in Book 2 they do a lot more character pieces.

voidstars.png

So at Comic-Con, apparently two AMAZING posters were distributed.New FriendsOld FriendsThe first one doesn't show us any brand-new character designs. The second, on the other hand... mind=blown. It's clear where Tenzin got his tallness genes from. Less clear is why Zuko is carrying three swords. What could he possibly need with three swords? Unless...JIN: Wait let me guess.... you juggled!ZUKO: *deadpan* Yes... I juggled.

Hey, space sword! Sokka must of gone and recovered it after the battle.Zuko's three swords are probably explained by different fighting methods; his twin swords are meant for lighter, quicker attacks, where as his hip sword appears to be heavier, so it'd be for more forceful attacks.

voidstars.png

>implying one needs a reason to carry three swordsSpeaking of the original series, what does everybody think about The Promise? I haven't heard much about it other than a little bit regarding the quality of the art.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

SDCC-related kind of spoilers ahead:

Book 2: Spirits has been confirmed. We're going to be seeing spirit world shenanigans next book. (Spirit monsters!) It's going to take place six months after Book 1, starting in the Southern Water Tribe. We'll be seeing Kya and Bumi. We'll also see more background on Korra's parents, her Northern Tribe uncle Unarok, and his kids, a couple of twins. All the characters have new outfits. Asami is head of Future Industries now, but the company is suffering because Hiroshi was a bad man.Mako is a cop apparently.

Book 1 was kind of a big disappointment, but I'm pretty excited for Book 2 nonetheless. Knowing what has been revealed so far, LoK can't go anywhere but up.

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

>implying one needs a reason to carry three swordsSpeaking of the original series, what does everybody think about The Promise? I haven't heard much about it other than a little bit regarding the quality of the art.~ BioGio
considering you can't use them all at the same time...but then again, a character in a story i'm making is carrying up to 3 swords and 2 daggers at any given time. anyway... i'm really excited about the next book.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I can't tell if that actually is Space Sword or just a similar-looking sword in a scabbard.Really the tragedy of Sokka losing his two big weapons is lessened when you realized he helped save the world so there're probably plenty of people willing to help him look for them. Plus he's BFFsies with Toph who's pretty much a walking magic metal detector, so I figure the chances of being parted from Boomerang and Space Sword are pretty low.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I recently got the first two books of The Promise along with The Lost Adventures. Personally, I think The Promise perfectly captures the mood of the original series, as well as the personalities of the characters. There's drama, but there's also comedy, and none of it really feels out of place. Plus it gives Sneers character development. Sneers! I'd highly recommend them.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So, am I the only one that just realized the Avatar world must be ancient? When we saw all the statues in the first season of the first series of all the past Avatars, we see hundreds, if not thousands, of statues, each one an Avatar. Let's assume the average lifespan of the Avatar is a hundred years old (based off of what we've seen, at least). Then there's a thousand statues. That's at least 100,000 years. Even if it was merely, say, five hundred past Avatars, that's still 50,000 years. Our human civilization hasn't been around nearly that long (usual estimates hover around 10,000 years). And then the Lion Turtle says that there was a time before the Avatar, when people energybent, and the creators say they have their ideas about it.Granted, this is assuming a constant average, but still. Easily tens of thousands of years. Brings one to wonder if the Lion Turtle was around since then. It'd make it truly the best source of wisdom, having seen eons pass by a dozen times.

voidstars.png

Good to see their division of the books was how I understood it, and I definitely like that direction[/late].Also those posters are awwwwesome.Also also I haven't gotten a chance to read the Graphic Novels yet. Are they really worth buying? I'm all for supporting the artists and all, but I don't think I could find it in my budget to actually get the novels =/

oh god, I need that New Friends poster. Not because I like the design, no just because I adore that Bolin doodle. However, I have a Book 3 Disk 3 poster that I got signed from Bryan and Mike at NYCC '08, so I should be happy.I ordered The Promise: Part 1 off Amazon roughly a month or two ago and enjoyed it profusely. Its a worthwhile continuation of the original story. I'm just too stingy right now to pick up the second one, but I will someday. Mainly, I'm excited about The Search. I was extremely happy with the Book 2 news until I thought and realized it was exactly what I originally wanted from Book 2, except for the particular character development and energybending mythos that would have arose had the finale cut two minutes earlier. It just makes me more confused and baffled as to why they decided to perform that bait and switch and in the process topple one of the core themes of the series through; I'm not that excited for Book 2 anymore, because I hate to say that this is the first time I've ever been let been down in Avatar or Korra. :lEDIT: Actually, I was wrong. I was disappointed when the mechs were reveled in 'The Aftermath' and I remember saying to a friend that had the potential to hamper the quality of the series if they were used to the same extent as the Fire Nation tanks, but the last three episodes proved me wrong. So I could very wrong about the next book.

Edited by Derpman!

To be fair, getting in touch with your spiritual side is by no means mastering it. Book: Spirit is probably still going have plenty of times as Korra tries to master her spiritual side and falls short. Notably, she only accessed the Avatar state and seen a bit of the past, and even then, only because Aang probably was doing as much as he could from beyond the grave. She hasn't entered the spirit world yet, for instance, or negotiated any pacts between the physical and spiritual.Book: Spirit still has a lot of potential, IMO. My question is, what will books three and four be? I still expect them to have a Book: Energy, but after that... what other things can you bend? If they go Book: Blood or Book: Lightning, you know there's going to be hundreds of thousands of enraged fans that we didn't get Book: Healing or Book: Metal or whatnot.

voidstars.png

Well, she's a fully realized Avatar now, which has been defined as having complete control over the Avatar state. It irritates me that she was bestowed that and energybending, just for making a connection. If your connection is strong to receive that much chock free in an universe where powers are earned through hardwork, it annoys me. I thought that Korra would have to go full circle, and have to learn patience and spirituality, while struggling with only Airbending. Rather, the finale teaches us only of convient instant gratification, nothing else. Whether she still has more to master on the spiritual doesn't matter, the inconsistency with the theme of earning these kind of things is pretty damaging. Granted, Aang was pretty much given energybending, but that worked because his character had already had such a strong arch. Korra lacked that due to the plot oriented focus of the shorter season.Also, I wouldn't worry about the latter two books yet. I'm sure whatever they got, it isn't too contrived.

Wait, it was said that Korra was a fully realized Avatar? Or that she got complete control of the Avatar State? I get that Tenzin's whole 'Avatar Korra' one liner was suppose to show Korra had become an Avatar, but I saw it less as "ok, training done, go fight crime!" and more like "you've made a very important step". She made a connection, and Aang managed to teach her, through a spiritual link (keep in mind that Aang, all of this time, was being proactive and doing as much as he could from beyond the grave), how to energy bend. It's doubtful that he even taught her the specifics; in this case, Amon's blood bending is probably like a pipe with water in it. He introduces a plug of somesort, preventing it from flowing correctly. The chi-blockers use pressure points, which basically cause the muscles to tense up, so Amon would be basically inducing a permanent muscle cramp. When Korra entered the Avatar State, all the energies of the past Avatars flowed through her, in this example, increasing the water pressure to take out a blockage. All she'd have to do for someone else is to just 'manually' increase the water pressure, taking out their own chi-blockage.I personally think it's over reaction. The finale disappointed on some levels, yes, but Korra didn't instantly master everything, nor are we told she did. Everything can very logically be explained, and leave room for Korra to continue working on air and spirit in the next season.

voidstars.png