Is There A Place For Romance In Bionicle?

You know, considering just how optimistic and harping on the values of friendship and unity the series could be at times, I feel like "romance isn't possible without an ulterior biological motive" doesn't really hold water in this context. And it's not like it'd be the only time the Toa/Matoran started doing things not directly linked to their programming.

I agree with this guy here! Just because there isn't a need for it, that doesn't mean it can't exist! There wasn't a need for sentience either, but that didn't stop them!Oh, I'm yelling aren't I? Sorry, I'll lower my voice. ^^'Also, aren't weddings also in the Bionicle story? With Roodaka and Sidorak, they were engaged, right? Well, in the movie, Sidorak certainly seemed enamored with Roodaka, though I'm not sure if that was more of a business marriage or a romantic one...

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Not really. Romance comes from the need to reproduce

Except it doesn't. That's just fact. If it did, then everybody would be romantic with everyone of the opposite gender, wouldn't they? But they aren't, so you're fundamentally wrong.

You'll notice, though, that Takua didn't seem at all upset by Jaller and Hahli's flirting; if anything, Takua acted somewhat supportive.

Yeah, because he loves Jaller so much that he wants him to just be happy, even if it's not with him.- Tilius

But yeah, I think actual romance would be out of the bounds of programming. Although it would be interesting if some Toa "glitched" into feelings for another Toa and then had to fix himself, thus killing the romance.

MENTAL WOUNDS NOT HEALING

LIFE'S A BITTER SHAME

I'M GOING OFF THE RAILS ON THE CRAZY TRAIN

So what does everyone think about the whole Hewkii & Hafu and Jaller & Hahli romance/side story thing?I thought it was just kinda distracting and out of place. Especially in the Bohrok animations.What do all you think?

You mean Macku, right? I wish that they would make sort of a minor thing, but nothing too serious. The thing is, I feel like Hewkii and macku would be a bit akward because Hewkii is a Toa and Macku isn't. If Macku was a Toa, it would be a different story.

That's friendship, not love. If you love someone, you want that person with you, not with someone else.

Well obviously Takua wanted Jaller to be with him - but his affection was so deep that he was prepared to let Jaller be with someone else if it that was what would make him happy. Takua put Jaller's happiness before his own, basically. THAT is love.- Tilius Edited by bonesiii
quote of a deleted post removed too. --bones

I, of course, ship Tren Krom/Makuta Teridax so hard that UPS gives me a bulk discount.In all seriousness, it's also possible that more complex emotions like romance could begin to surface more once a peaceful society is established on Spherus Magna - particularly if the Glatorian/Agori exhibit such behavior - since there's no longer an overruling "objective" for the Toa/Matoran to fulfill.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I'm gonna go ahead and close this now. I'm not reviving the old rule against romance topics, but it appears several of you need some time to consider the importance of following the rules and listening to staff warnings, for next time, if there is a next time.For one, this forum division is for canon story, which is what I interpreted this topic as being about, hence why I left it open. We have answers on that, pretty definitive, but the topic also asked if people thought it should belong in the story, basically. The first half of the first page stayed on that topic but now things have turned into fan fiction, it seems; that sort of thing belongs in the Library, not here.Also, it is of prime importance that posts in topics like this remain intelligent and appropriate for all ages. Several of you seem to have forgotten how. Finally, discussion of controversial subjects including origins is not allowed on BZPower, and that is specifically mentioned in the S&T rules, in fact. Real-world is not relevant here; that's the whole point. This is a fictional universe. That said, I think it's pretty clear that those who are saying romantic feelings could plausibly exist in the MU are correct, although that isn't really canon as far as we know. As someone said, sapience itself wasn't "supposed" to exist, therefore mere programming need not be the limit per se.But really, ultimately each of you is going to do in your own non-canon fan fiction and roleplaying and whatever what you want to do, so there's really zero point in arguing over it. ;)I might reopen this after you guys have had some time to consider your behavior, but I dunno.Closed.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)