Alpha version 16.1
Advanced (not yet) multiplayer platform fighting game
Download links at the bottom of this post.
Click the thumbnails to see the full screenshots.
For work-in-progress previews, check my Dropbox gallery and my BZP blog.
Latest game version update: v16.1 - November 29th, 2014.
Download found below.
From its start in late 2000 and to its almost-end in 2010, BIONICLE was one of my favorite series. I had, and still have, a great affection for the bio-mechanical beings that inhabit its universe. For several years, I've wanted to create a large-scale game based on BIONICLE. I've tried and failed twice in the past due to lack of sufficient programming skill. But now I'm back and ready, and I've gotten quite far already.I therefore proudly present to you: my work-in-progress.Note that I am making this game for you, fellow fans. Your feedback is very valuable to me. So please, if you enjoy this game: take a moment to post a reply. It will be greatly appreciated!
First out: the Toa, chosen heroes of the universe! Each Toa wields an elemental power, which allows them to control, create and absorb that element. Toa also wear Kanohi masks or helmets imbued with an additional power. Losing the mask, however, weakens the Toa. In this game, you will be able to select both your element and mask power, as well as picking a weapon from a wide selection. Some weapons have special powers of their own.
The other playable race is one of the fiercest enemy types the Toa have encountered: the Rahkshi! They might be primarily empty shells of armor controlled by a leech-like creature, but Rahkshi have special powers of their own, most of them based on destruction or deception. Rahkshi can not absorb power from the environment like Toa can, nor can they use mask powers, but they make up for it with their powerful attacks and ability to fly at will. If a Rahkshi chooses to carry a staff imbued with their own power, they can increase their strength through that as well. Toa and Rahkshi with different powers can pick up a dropped Rahkshi Staff in order to use its power.
In addition to choosing between the two species and their many powers, you can also adjust the values of five different stats: Strength, vitality, dexterity, element and mind.
- Strength modifies the power of physical attacks and melee strikes.
- Vitality increases health and other related attributes.
- Dexterity determines run speed and jump height.
- Element modifies the power of special attacks.
- Mind relates to the amount of energy available as well as its recharge rate. Mask powers also benefit from the mind stat.
The engine is still being worked on. Most of the basics are in: Movement, terrain, the ability to customize. Weapons, items and powers are being worked on. All the powers have been indexed and given default colors, but not all have actual effects in gameplay.
- Play as either Toa or Rahkshi.
- Customize your character's powers, equipment, stats and color.
- Toa elements: Fire, air, earth, stone, ice, light, shadow, plasma, magnetism, plant life, sonics, lightning, iron, psionics.
- Rahkshi powers: Fear, disintegration, poison, fragmentation, hunger, chain lightning, teleportation, quick healing, plasma, magnetism, chameleon, laser vision, gravity.
- Mask powers: Shielding, levitation, speed, strength, invisibility, corrosion, regeneration, hunger, teleportation, truth, light and shadow, portals.
- Weapon powers: Burn, freeze, stun, disarm, chainsaw, laser shot, light beam, armor piercing, Rahkshi powers, stat modifiers.
- Five main maps and two test maps. Proper maps: Karda Nui, with its giant stone pillars, straw hut village, Codrex, swarms of Nui-Rama and a boss; Mangaia, mostly a dark, flat cave at this point; Kini-Nui, the Great Temple; a joined version of the two previous maps; Onu-Koro, with its dim tunnels, underground village and flooded mine section; and Ta-Koro: Village of Fire, with a large central platform and lethal lava on both sides. A stone fortress will eventually be placed in this map.
- Various status effects (freeze, burn, poison, healing, gravity changes, temporary stat reductions, blind)
- Color customization, power and weapon selection, stat modification.
- Saving and loading of character files.
- Settings menu with customizable controls and music/sound toggle.
- Screenshot function (hit F9 to capture a screenshot and save it to the game folder)
- Battle AI enemies while you wait for the game's true purpose: Online multiplayer.
NOTE: The hosting site I use is down, so I will migrate to a new host if it doesn't come back up again. The latest working screenshots are at the top of this post.
Attacking an Exo-Toa with Lightning
Dissolving an enemy with Poison
Kopaka Nuva in action
Rock to the face
Modifying the character file for fun and profit
A Rahkshi of Gravity creating a black hole
Spikes attack from a Toa of Stonev8.0:
Character creation menu
Rahkshi firing off Chain Lightning
A Toa of Fire accidentally hitting himself with a fireball
Onua, Toa of Earth, joins the fight
Draining the energy of enemies with a Rahkshi of Hunger
Turning an opponent to ash with a Fire Staff
Unleashing the power of Shadow
Preparing to teleport away from danger
Download (Windows executable, 72.07 MB, packed in ZIP format)
Click the banners to choose your preferred download host (what hosts are available may vary):
IMPORTANT: After downloading, you must extract the files from the archive, otherwise the game will not work properly! Extracting is as simple as right-clicking the ZIP folder and selecting "Unzip", "Extract", or whatever your computer calls it. After you get the uncompressed files, you can safely delete the ZIP itself. To start the game, simply run the EXE file (the one with the proper game icon). Note that this game is made to run on Windows systems only (Vista and later); I can not guarantee that it will work with WINE or similar.
ALSO IMPORTANT: Do not change the folder structure, or some files will not load! The game itself must be in the same folder as any DLLs and INIs, and the music must be in a sub-folder. Moving stuff around will break the program. If you want a shortcut to the game, right-click the main EXE file and choose "select shortcut". Do not move the game file itself.
- Toa Mata didn't spawn properly on Kini Nui. They do now.
- Items will now spawn in the joint Kini Nui/Mangaia map.
- Fixed the gravity field preventing flying characters from exiting Mangaia, and also made it 100% certain to prevent fall damage.
- Added a column of light which lifts you out of Mangaia after the boss fight. Use it by pressing Up+Use, like you would on a teleporter.
- Fixed a few issues with the Makuta boss fight... and apparently introduced some new ones. Sorry about the mess.
- Added music for Makuta boss fight.
- New attempt at solving the Windows 8 crashes - the crashes are related to sound, so go to settings and turn on Win8 bug fix to eliminate certain troublesome sound effects for the time being.
- Nui-Jaga now spawn every 30-40 seconds in Onu-Koro.
- New weapon: Lava Launcher. Fires a stream of flames.
- New map: Kini-Nui and Mangaia combined.
- New boss fight: Makuta Teridax. Found in the Mangaia portion of the joint map.
- Boss fight with Rahkshi moved from Kini-Nui to joint map. Defeating them opens the way into Mangaia.
- Boss fight with Toa Mata moved from Ta-Koro to Kini-Nui.
- New Rahi enemy: Nui-Jaga. A few of them appear in Onu-Koro.
- Made bots use the new Plant Life secondary attack.
- You still have to go to settings and turn on the Windows 8 "bugfix" if you have problems. Multiple sound effects being placed at the same time is the primary crash factor.
Another game trailer (old, from game version 9.0)
Test files / "mini-games"
Sometimes I program something for testing purposes, but don't include it in the main game for various technical reasons. You can still download these test runs and try them out if you want.
- Kanohi Kadin, Mask of Flight (4 MB, fly around as a Toa): Download from Dropbox | Download from MediaFire
- Laser Crossbow, aiming and animation testing (2.5 MB, shoot down Nui-Rama as a Toa, Vortixx or Skakdi): Download from Dropbox | Older post link
- Kanoka types, disk launcher: Post link
When is the next update?
I use my spare time for this, so it's very hard to schedule new versions. I try to pop one out every few months or so. I hope to fix the game engine and start popping out more rapid updates sooner or later.
This weapon/ability doesn't work, or it causes errors.
It has most likely not been fully programmed yet. If it has been mentioned in the change log, though, then please report any errors to me either here in this topic, or via PM or e-mail.
Will you add X to the game?
There are a lot of items, powers and characters that I want to include, but because everything needs to be programmed somehow I can't afford to include them all. Feel free to make suggestions; I try to reply to them all.
How do I spawn the bosses?
First, make sure that AI enemies are enabled on the map selection screen, as no bosses will appear otherwise. In Karda Nui, the boss is spawned by eliminating all the Exo-Toa on the map. In the Mangaia and Kini-Nui maps, the boss battles are triggered by finding a special sparkling point somewhere on the map, activating it, and then returning to the center. An item will be present that calls the boss(es) when touched. The arrival of a boss is signified by a change in music and sometimes map backgrounds. Defeating them will leave behind a special power-up item.
I'm sorry, but I'm using a pretty old version of GM for this game, and it has issues with newer systems. I will eventually port it to a new engine. In the meantime, other factors of slowdown may be high usage of CPU or RAM, as my ancient code isn't exactly the most efficient.
- Players will often spawn with a health bar that is not entirely full.
- If a players or AI dies right before their attack strikes a target, the log might show an "Unknown variable" error.
- Wearing armor other than Nuva Armor is not recommended at the moment.
- On newer systems (Windows 8), the game might crash when a lot of sound effects play at once. This happens most frequently with the fire- and lightning ball attacks. A settings option is included to turn of the problematic sounds for the time being.
If you wish to support this game, feel free to copy and paste the code beneath one of the banners into your signature. Thanks!
Banner links found here. NOTE: Not entirely working ATM. Manual adjustment needed.
Main programmer and designer - Oskar A. Garshol (aka "Katuko" and "Noxious")
Additional ideas - Various BZP members (thanks for your support!)
Main spriter - "InnerRayg" (BZPower)
Additional sprites - Various BZP members, see in-game for details
Interface graphics - Oskar A. G.
Music and sound effects - Various artists, sounddogs.com
Game Maker 8 - Mark Overmars and the YoYo Games team
Exact list is being worked on in-game, and will change as the game gets updated. If you want to see yourself there, check out what you can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter!
Edited by Katuko, May 10 2015 - 06:52 AM.