Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Thankfully I removed the knockdown-stun from melee weapons before the Quake Breaker became even more obscenely overpowered, eh? XDHunger shouldn't work any differently on the boss encounters (Exo-Toa notwithstanding) because they are all just regular AI set to use specific gear and stats. However, since they have a few thousand HP and only regular EP levels, they might be out of EP by the time you have drained a significant amount of their health.

Hey katuko here's a basic visorak sheet. I've simplified the shading though I've kept the same pallet so the recolour bar from before should still work. One animation that is noticeably missing is one showing the spinner being shot... honestly I could not figure out how I to do that one- I'm afraid someone else will have to tackle it.

Also as you might notice I've included a animation for climbing walls. I don't expect you to implement just yet its just a suggestion ;)

Now I'm of to sprite toa and rahshki faceplant.

~M

Link to my comic :D

To anyone contacting me, I'm of to Uni soon so I might take time to respond.

Hey katuko here's a basic visorak sheet. I've simplified the shading though I've kept the same pallet so the recolour bar from before should still work. One animation that is noticeably missing is one showing the spinner being shot... honestly I could not figure out how I to do that one- I'm afraid someone else will have to tackle it.

I haven't tested the animation yet, but it looks pretty good. It's very nice that you've included leaping and falling animations, that's exactly the kind of things I need. Wall climb might be a bit tricky to program, but having the option to use those sprites make it a lot more likely to be implemented. :)Thanks a lot for your work! I see you have a rotated Visorak body used in the climbing animation. In order to make a spinner shot animation, I think it would be enough to have the Visorak lower its face towards the ground and lift the back end (stretching the legs), thus placing the spinner in a position where it can launch out and arc towards the victim. The actual projectile launch could be done with particle effects and a coded projectile, I wouldn't need it on the sprite itself. :)

i think you need to change the sprite animation for ranged weapons, such as the light stone rifle to look like he's/she's actually holding A GUN! also you should be abe to AIM the darn thing so you have jump around when the guy you want to headshot is doing the same! *sniff* i'm done with my daily rant ,TA-TA!

gifdonthurtme.gif

sandvich don't hurt me, no more!

Thankfully I removed the knockdown-stun from melee weapons before the Quake Breaker became even more obscenely overpowered, eh? XDHunger shouldn't work any differently on the boss encounters (Exo-Toa notwithstanding) because they are all just regular AI set to use specific gear and stats. However, since they have a few thousand HP and only regular EP levels, they might be out of EP by the time you have drained a significant amount of their health.

I always did find those knockdown-stun weapon to be too overpower...

<snip>

A priority for the new engine: To make different weapons feel like different weapons. :P

I always did find those knockdown-stun weapon to be too overpower...

Indeed. I will rework stun/knockdown somewhat, and make it less ripe of abuse in the new engine.
Lookin' good. :) Protodermis Reclamation Yard, you said? Certainly looks like it.

Hey found one of the many bugs:

To get to the pyro exo-toa stand you must use the teleporter. Using the teleport lags and then crashes the game on windows 8.

spits out this error:

ERROR inaction number 1of Draw Eventfor object obj_item_armor:Trying to draw non-existing sprite.

The error seems to happen only if wearing armor, and only on windows 8, my other computers run it just fine.

Edited by Ora_unit_SR388

-Insert deep message to prove I am alive here-

The error seems to happen only if wearing armor, and only on windows 8, my other computers run it just fine.

Something in my game code which I haven't quite patched yet. You were wearing non-Nuva Armor, correct? If so, exchanging the armor for a different set (as may happen by accident when teleporting because the teleport use key is also the pick-up-item key) you will drop a piece of armor from your character which has no sprite.

all_these_masks.png <----click the pile of broken potential. This is what everything looks like right now for the map at 18.2% zoom. I think it's moving along quite well.

BIONICLE Fighter: Broken Potential :PLooks pretty good. The texture tiling on the floor is kinda obvious, but that's mostly due to the scale. The background looks simpl, yet imposing, and that's good. Some parallax scrolling on that stuff and it's gonna be splendid.

That's cool katuko can't wait for the next versionAlso some issues I've found Bug 1: when I use the matau on windows seven I change into an exo toa and then can't move or change form again bug 2: I can't save my characters

Edited by TAHU2014

:voyanui:

Bug 1: when I use the matau on windows seven I change into an exo toa and then can't move or change form again

Bug 1 is just a test. He hasn't taken out the script for it. Besides that's what the test does.

Flaredrick is right, the Kanohi Mahiki currently has a test script that was used while I was trying to figure out how to properly change a player's form without making the game control consider him or her "dead". I have mostly solved it, but since I just changed the player into random NPC objects for the test, they run on AI and not keyboard input.I kinda forgot that this script was still active.

bug 2: I can't save my characters

Every time someone has said this, it has had to do with the ZIP folder. After downloading you absolutely need to right-click and extract/unpack/un-ZIP all the files within the compressed folder. Otherwise, the operating system will only temporarily extract the exact file you click on (the main game), and the DLL used for handling character files and eventual other external files (like music) will not load properly.

Bug 1: when I use the matau on windows seven I change into an exo toa and then can't move or change form again

Bug 1 is just a test. He hasn't taken out the script for it. Besides that's what the test does.

Flaredrick is right, the Kanohi Mahiki currently has a test script that was used while I was trying to figure out how to properly change a player's form without making the game control consider him or her "dead". I have mostly solved it, but since I just changed the player into random NPC objects for the test, they run on AI and not keyboard input.I kinda forgot that this script was still active.

Keep it. it's cool to have a boss fight for you. XD

Cool updates! Would it be possible for you to implement a two-player mode before the actual online game, though? It would be much fun and even after the final release a two-player might be even more entertaining than an online version.

There is actually code for two-player controls in-game at the moment. It is dummied out, however, due to the sheer amount of keys a single character uses, and a few issues with views that I haven't made to disappear yet. Trying to have 2 characters on the same keyboard essentially means that half your actions won't be registered most of the time. This is a common keyboard issue - ghosting - and not something I can fix without forcing you all to buy super-duper mechanical keyboards. :PThere's also the option of gaempad controls, of course, which would make 2 players in one game window a lot more feasible. Haven't implemented these yet, but they will hopefully be there from the get-go in the new engine.

Cool updates! Would it be possible for you to implement a two-player mode before the actual online game, though? It would be much fun and even after the final release a two-player might be even more entertaining than an online version.

There is actually code for two-player controls in-game at the moment. It is dummied out, however, due to the sheer amount of keys a single character uses, and a few issues with views that I haven't made to disappear yet. Trying to have 2 characters on the same keyboard essentially means that half your actions won't be registered most of the time. This is a common keyboard issue - ghosting - and not something I can fix without forcing you all to buy super-duper mechanical keyboards. :P

Would you be able to do that just by plugging in another keyboard?

new_sig_legacy_2.png

There is actually code for two-player controls in-game at the moment. It is dummied out, however, due to the sheer amount of keys a single character uses, and a few issues with views that I haven't made to disappear yet. Trying to have 2 characters on the same keyboard essentially means that half your actions won't be registered most of the time. This is a common keyboard issue - ghosting - and not something I can fix without forcing you all to buy super-duper mechanical keyboards. :P

I don't think gm has the power to discern between the two keyboards. But that would be cool.

-Insert deep message to prove I am alive here-

I don't think gm has the power to discern between the two keyboards. But that would be cool.

It's more a general hardware issue, since even if you plug in a second keyboard the keys will still register with the same keycodes. Unlike gamepads, which register as separate input devices, you can not distinguish between two keyboards or two mice.You could potentially avoid the key ghosting issue by using two keyboards, however. For example, two arrow keys + space on a single keyboard often locks up and don't register more than two of the three keys, but pressing two arrow keys on one keyboard and space on another would likely let them all register.For a multiplayer game it still means what you can press your opponent's keys on your own keyboard, and you will not be able to both use the same key because the computer will just read any key press as being "left arrow key", not "keyboard 1's left arrow key" or "keyboard 2's left arrow key".

Did-did anyone hear my important comment on ranged weapon such as the light stone rifle? C-cuz i think it's important! no? ok, bye.

I commented briefly on it above. Aiming weapons has been discussed before a multiple of pages back (not that I expect you to have seen it), but the issue is that currently the system is not made for aiming. Due to multi-directional melee attacks being a thing in the next engine I will try to include a certain degree of projectile aiming too. The availability of blocking will balance it more than it would be right now.EDIT: Why do you insert a stutter in your own -written- posts? Edited by Katuko

Wait, is the new engine going to incorporate the Mouse in gameplay? Because if so, please don't. That's something that really gets on my nerves when I'm focusing everything on the keyboard and then have to go to my touchpad and then back to my keyboard, it just gets annoying.

I never said I'd use the mouse.

Wait, is the new engine going to incorporate the Mouse in gameplay? Because if so, please don't. That's something that really gets on my nerves when I'm focusing everything on the keyboard and then have to go to my touchpad and then back to my keyboard, it just gets annoying.

I never said I'd use the mouse.

Are you using a Kualsi like aiming system?

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Are you using a Kualsi like aiming system?

Or something very similar to it, yes. I'll whip up a test example for you sometime later when I start working on it, so that you can give me feedback on what you like and don't like.Melee attacks will be updated to slash in different directions based on your held directional keys.

I played this game for a while back in Alpha 7.1, and it seems quite a bit nicer now in 13. I don't have any coding experience, but I certainly don't mind testing. I saw the whole discussion about ghosting on keyboards, and that's not a problem for me, since I do in fact have a nice mechanical keyboard with 10-key antighosting. Works just fine for this game.

What's this ghosting part on the keyboards? I've never heard of it.

Keyboard keys are wired in groups of circuits. A single wire may go through several keys and register their input based on where that wire crosses with other wires, etc. This saves money for both the producer and the buyer, but it opens up the possibility that certain key combinations will "misfire". For example, your typical keyboard is wired so that function keys like Shift and Ctrl can be pressed in conjunction with most other keys, but trying to press 5+ letters will lock up and not register proper input anymore.Figure1.pngImage courtesy of Microsoft. Here, S is pressed, and the keyboard recognizes this by virtue of the appropriate wire crow/column being connected.Similarly, arrow keys and space were not designed for game use. They were designed for typing, and since you usually don't move the cursor while typing or make a word break while pressing letter keys, space and the arrow keys are on wires that are cheap -- but not very good for being registered along with many other keys.Thus, my laptop keyboard can easily handle Ctrl + Shift + A + S, since these are keys that were anticipated to be pressed alongside each other. Two arrow keys and space, however, locks up and doesn't register space.pluto7443 has bought a more gaming-oriented mechanical keyboard (at least, anti-ghosting is usually only required for the multiple key presses that gaming needs), and thus he can reliably press a lot more keys before they keyboard locks up. This is accomplished by the developer wiring the keys more independently, with many more keys being given their own unique wire. In fact, most of the keys likely have their own switch/circuit on his keyboard. Of course, this also makes it more expensive. The mechanical aspect also makes it more responsive and reliable than your average membrane-covered keyboard.Microsoft article about "ghosting".A challenge of making a game like BIONICLE Fighter is to cram in as many functions as possible on a single keyboard; limited not just by the amount of keys comfortably within reach of any hand, but also the knowledge that not every key may be pressed at once without the possibility that the user experiences "ghosting" on their keyboard. Thus, a mechanic that involves point-n-shoot is a safe bet, but one that requires crouch+aim+shoot is more dubious... unless crouching is a toggled state, in which case the crouch state can be preserved even when the user lets go of the key. Programming genius! Edited by Katuko

So that's what I say in Wal-mart. Though I didn't see the price, it be nice to have one. But this is a laptop here, not a computer with a monitor separate. Though I did see a good gaming computer in Altex for about $200 or $300. I may have gotten the price wrong.

Anyways, I like the melee part with the arrow keys. Nice how whichever key we press, it's a different attack. (except for left and right)

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Technically, left and right could still have an effect. Like, press Attack with a sword and you get a horizontal slash (quick and simple), but Side + Attack gives you a stab (slightly slower but with minor pushback). Up + Attack = overhead swing upwards (45 degrees to each side), Down + Attack = downwards slice (from behind head and in an arc to the ground). Or maybe it would be a crouch attack if down becomes the crouch key. Most liekly down will be the crouch key while on the ground, since crouching mid-air would be useless and thus it doesn't need an extra key for crouch/aiming down anyways.This is just an example, though. The final in-game setup might be different.

Technically, left and right could still have an effect. Like, press Attack with a sword and you get a horizontal slash (quick and simple), but Side + Attack gives you a stab (slightly slower but with minor pushback). Up + Attack = overhead swing upwards (45 degrees to each side), Down + Attack = downwards slice (from behind head and in an arc to the ground). Or maybe it would be a crouch attack if down becomes the crouch key. Most liekly down will be the crouch key while on the ground, since crouching mid-air would be useless and thus it doesn't need an extra key for crouch/aiming down anyways.This is just an example, though. The final in-game setup might be different.

Perhaps then backwards(the arrow key in the opposite direction of what you're facing) and attack(if timed right, or perhaps you could use some other mechanic to differentiate between that and moving, probably the former though,) could be an overhead vertical chop then? And, while midair, down and attack could be a downward slam or stab?

Edited by Malignus

bBhcfWO.png

Would too much ghosting occur if you pressed up and down at the same time then attack? If that doesn't become a problem, I think that could be a spin attack or something.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.