Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Quick balancing issues: Disentigration and the Jutlin are both majorly overpowered (as is Magnetism, but you know that already :P). The Jutlin drains Kanohi and weapons far too quickly. I would advise making it less effective (maybe going so far as to make it ineffective on Kanohi), as it essentially destroys any close-combat Toa's playstyle in seconds. As for Disentigration, a single hit with that once obilerated both my weapon and my Miru, rendering me a fightless, unarmed Toa way up in the air. Miiiiight need some weakening; I think start-up lag won't quite fix it.Also, Ice Gun and flying character is a pretty overpowered combo, but I'm not sure how to balance it or if it even needs balancing.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Because I got sick of looking at that ugly, head-less Staff of Disintegration, I made this:StaffofDisintegrationWIP.pngIf you'd like, I can try to help you out with some other spritework. No guarantees that I'll get it done quickly, though, as my schedule can be extremely tiresome.Oh, and here's an amazing combination: high-Dexterity Toa of Magnetism with a Rode and Throwing Knives. Magnetic shenanigans, combined with CPU's tendancy to grab any weapons thrown at them, allow you to have almost unlimited ammo.

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Not sure if you caught this already, but the Voltiak is OP. Also, I noticed that if you activated the kakama's ability and then picked up another mask such as the miru, not only do you get that mask's ability, but your speed is permanently changed to the kakama's speed, without the need to expend energy.

Edited by NatureDruid

Not sure if you caught this already, but the Voltiak is OP. Also, I noticed that if you activated the kakama's ability and then picked up another mask such as the miru, not only do you get that mask's ability, but your speed is permanently changed to the kakama's speed, without the need to expend energy.
The Volitak's only OP because the CPUs are programmed not to take any notice of the character - in actual gameplay, the semi-transparent character'd be comparitively easy to see.The Kakama glitch is something I noticed as well. To be precise, I noticed it on Karda Nui, when I nearly ran off a cliff and barely snagged the Miru in time. :P

Quick note: I've recently reformatted my laptop. Unfortunately, I lost some progress because I didn't look carefully enough in my folders before passing the point-of-no-return; but thankfully my laziness has made the actual game progress only step back by a few sprites. I lost such tings as split-up (ready for color-blending) Vahki and Matoran, some HUD elements, female Toa (gasp) and some weapons, though. >:[i'm gonna have to start dual-saving to my external drive each and every time I make changes to sprites or other things, just in case.

You're gonna love what Telekinesis will be able to do by flinging weapons, then. :PBots fire their powers within a certain height difference of the player, so Laser Vision would be pretty accurate due to their machine reflexes. You might find it slightly harder to hit with when playing it yourself, since you have to press the button exactly when you have line of sight to the target. On the plus side, there is no charge-up and it hits instantly.

So wait, did you notice my above couple of posts? I pointed out some potential issues with the balancing (some of which you already knew :P), and also made a quick sprite for the Staff of Disentigration (I tried to match your style on it, though I may have failed to do so).

Quick balancing issues: Disentigration and the Jutlin are both majorly overpowered (as is Magnetism, but you know that already :P). The Jutlin drains Kanohi and weapons far too quickly. I would advise making it less effective (maybe going so far as to make it ineffective on Kanohi), as it essentially destroys any close-combat Toa's playstyle in seconds. As for Disentigration, a single hit with that once obilerated both my weapon and my Miru, rendering me a fightless, unarmed Toa way up in the air. Miiiiight need some weakening; I think start-up lag won't quite fix it.Also, Ice Gun and flying character is a pretty overpowered combo, but I'm not sure how to balance it or if it even needs balancing.
Because I got sick of looking at that ugly, head-less Staff of Disintegration, I made this:StaffofDisintegrationWIP.pngIf you'd like, I can try to help you out with some other spritework. No guarantees that I'll get it done quickly, though, as my schedule can be extremely tiresome.Oh, and here's an amazing combination: high-Dexterity Toa of Magnetism with a Rode and Throwing Knives. Magnetic shenanigans, combined with CPU's tendancy to grab any weapons thrown at them, allow you to have almost unlimited ammo.
Edited by Meta-Mind

You're gonna love what Telekinesis will be able to do by flinging weapons, then. :PBots fire their powers within a certain height difference of the player, so Laser Vision would be pretty accurate due to their machine reflexes. You might find it slightly harder to hit with when playing it yourself, since you have to press the button exactly when you have line of sight to the target. On the plus side, there is no charge-up and it hits instantly.
I love how that sounds! or, would... if it had sound.... you know what I mean...

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

So wait, did you notice my above couple of posts? I pointed out some potential issues with the balancing (some of which you already knew :P), and also made a quick sprite for the Staff of Disentigration (I tried to match your style on it, though I may have failed to do so).
Yes, sorry. I haven't had as much time on my hands as I'd like, lately. You sprite needs some slight shading changes, but it'll do. Thanks for your work; it looks a bit closes to the Disintegration-shape I failed to make.Balancing stuff out will just have to happen as I go along. It's hard to say on the fly what works and not. Disintegration is broken, that's true. I guess I'll make it so successive hits deal more and more damage to items instead.

As far as the game at large goes, I don't think things should be so... breakable. Weapons, Kanohi, and Nuva Armor are everywhere, and it's so easy to lose your own that they almost need to be. Compare that to the actual series, where stabbing someone in the chest with a Quake Breaker does not shred their mask off first.So basically, I think that those in general need to be more permanent. I'm fine with a direct hit from Disentigration dealing some damage to one or two of them, and the Jutlin perhaps damaging armor and weapons only (at a slow rate, though), but in order to be more like the actual series, the system does need some modifications.

the system does need some modifications
Right you are. I'll have to rework how this stuff works. Unfortunately I'm just one guy, and testing takes time from graphics and graphics takes time from programming and programming takes time from sounds and sounds takes time from testing. :P

Couldn't you just team up with someone? There must be some cultural center in your town where someone might help you with maybe not programming but computer graphics, music and other stuff. You see about a year ago I started to go to one of cultural centers in Lublin and I can say my life has changed. Now I look for every spare time after I finish skull to go there and make stop-motion animation. I have just finished photos for original comic inspired Toa Kaita Nuva vs Bohrok-Kal Kaita movie.Sorry for telling all this sheet but I just want to give you an advice.

Hello and welcome ^^
Bionicle fan and follower from Lublin in Poland. Theoretician, nerd and figure collector. The same goes for Transformers and MLP:FiM and more sophisticated works of science fiction fantasy.
I'd like to be your friend my friends :)
My facebook: https://www.facebook.com/butterscotch.pl.

Cultural center? Nothing of the sort here, really. Closest thing you get is a library or school. I'm not gonna team up with random people IRL when the internet has so much more to offer and I work digitally anyways. Problem is, people both willing to help with making a BIONICLE fangame and also qualifying for meeting certain work standard while also having the spare time to do so... is exceedingly rare. :/

Also, I noticed that if you activated the kakama's ability and then picked up another mask such as the miru, not only do you get that mask's ability, but your speed is permanently changed to the kakama's speed, without the need to expend energy.
Dangit, someone told him. That was my secret advantage for when multiplayer hits. I've been using that bug since around Alpha 5.I believe I reported it a while back and it got fixed slightly, but it still happens. If you get a Huna on and activate it before grabbing the Kakama, you're permanently invisible too. So yes, I admit, I was planning to be a super speedy, invisible, flying Toa in multiplayer. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.... :P

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

So yes, I admit, I was planning to be a super speedy, invisible, flying Toa in multiplayer. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.... :P
Good thing I have ways of brutalizing cheaters, then. A simple variable check now and then from the server, and if your stats pass the maximum possible amount, your head explodes. Or similar. ;)I can't remember if I've posted this here before, but:toa_gender_comparison.pngI had more poses done, but boom, formatted drive with no backup of the most recent stuff. I've learned. :P

So yes, I admit, I was planning to be a super speedy, invisible, flying Toa in multiplayer. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.... :P
Good thing I have ways of brutalizing cheaters, then. A simple variable check now and then from the server, and if your stats pass the maximum possible amount, your head explodes. Or similar. ;)I can't remember if I've posted this here before, but:toa_gender_comparison.pngI had more poses done, but boom, formatted drive with no backup of the most recent stuff. I've learned. :P
might I ask what those are? it looks like a repainted sprite. am I correct? Edited by <shockwave>

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

You're including more customization with Toa colors, then?

might I ask what those are? it looks like a repainted sprite. am I correct?
Red-n-blue Toa has slightly slimmer shoulders/boots, a midriff and (in other poses, at least) slightly longer "thigh armor". I've attempted to create a female Toa that is not too obviously so. ;)

Red-n-blue Toa has slightly slimmer shoulders/boots, a midriff and (in other poses, at least) slightly longer "thigh armor". I've attempted to create a female Toa that is not too obviously so. ;)
...That was actually my second guess, since you'd said something about that in the past. :P

Okay, fixed it. I liked my idea because it gives the mask of water breathing a useOkay, map 2 is up, it is now the first image. It is basically a fire castle on one hill and a ice castle on the other hill.Here is the link again: http://sonyaxe.imgur.com/allNext maps, Archives and Treetops. Sorry if this seems like spamming, but I want to get these ideas out thereHere is the album (first uploaded at top) : http://imgur.com/a/ogHmX

...That was actually my second guess, since you'd said something about that in the past. :P
oh, I see it now. ok.for some reason, last night when I was playing it it was getting down into the range of seconds per frame. and its a bit irritating watching a exo-toa rocket speed (slowly, painfully) toward you, while having the reaction capabilities of a rock. that's not even trying to be funny.if it weren't for that one problem, I feel like this game would be played hours on end, as everything else makes me really want to play, but it just takes forever to load up, and runs like a snail most of the time.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

oh, I see it now. ok.for some reason, last night when I was playing it it was getting down into the range of seconds per frame. and its a bit irritating watching a exo-toa rocket speed (slowly, painfully) toward you, while having the reaction capabilities of a rock. that's not even trying to be funny.if it weren't for that one problem, I feel like this game would be played hours on end, as everything else makes me really want to play, but it just takes forever to load up, and runs like a snail most of the time.
This used to happen to me, too. But after staring at my computer, plotting its destruction, and making sure that the game was the only program running at the time, it worked perfectly. And still does. ;)EDITAnd I suppose because I posted here, I'll add in a few things I've been thinking of. First off is gravity. It is absolutely amazing as a burst now, but I felt like something was missing... And I think that the problem is that its a whole lot harder to get your enimies into the air to even cause minior fall damage. I've got a system down (hitting them with the secondary, then using the absorb ability to sent them up) but it leaves my fingers all twisted up. :PMy suggestion is that the primary "gravity slam" could be a burst, while the secondary to get people up in the air coud be a stream.The other thing are Rahkshi powers like teleportation and chameleon, they seem to be a lot weaker then other powers such as fragmentation and hunger. Might just be that they're pretty much limited to only melee attacks, but just something I wanted to point out.Just a few thoughts I had... Edited by Frost Dragon

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Okay, fixed it. I liked my idea because it gives the mask of water breathing a useOkay, map 2 is up, it is now the first image. It is basically a fire castle on one hill and a ice castle on the other hill.Here is the link again: http://sonyaxe.imgur.com/allNext maps, Archives and Treetops. Sorry if this seems like spamming, but I want to get these ideas out thereHere is the album (first uploaded at top) : http://imgur.com/a/ogHmX
I like your map ideas, they could be interesting to make and play on. :) Mixing different elements together is good, because it allows a wider range of special powers to be used to different effect in different areas. The Archives are an interesting setting, and I believe it could look nice with some stasis tubes and other background elements. The amount of steep ledges might make it difficult for non-flyers, but of course it's a sketch and can be refined in practice. Thanks for your ideas, I have saved your sketches along with my other map WIPs. :)
for some reason, last night when I was playing it it was getting down into the range of seconds per frame. and its a bit irritating watching a exo-toa rocket speed (slowly, painfully) toward you, while having the reaction capabilities of a rock. that's not even trying to be funny.if it weren't for that one problem, I feel like this game would be played hours on end, as everything else makes me really want to play, but it just takes forever to load up, and runs like a snail most of the time.
I'll see what I can do, but right now that's not too much. I can't recall if you've posted your system specs before, but if you could PM them to me I can take a look and see if it's either something terribly wrong with your computer (:P) or if it's simply bad code that I have to adjust. It's not my intent that you should need a super-computer to run my game, of course.
And I suppose because I posted here, I'll add in a few things I've been thinking of. First off is gravity. It is absolutely amazing as a burst now, but I felt like something was missing... And I think that the problem is that its a whole lot harder to get your enimies into the air to even cause minior fall damage. I've got a system down (hitting them with the secondary, then using the absorb ability to sent them up) but it leaves my fingers all twisted up. :P
I suppose I might need to refine the control system at some point. Maybe I could add an option for hotkeying each ability (like in an RPG), keeping the current layout, or even use a "power wheel" that you would scroll through and then use the same key every time to trigger the ability. All optional, of course.... Might as well add controller support as I go, too. It's been on the to-do list for a long time, and I almost feel like rewriting everything to make it so much better. Like several programmers have said over the years: Sometimes, when your project is far ahead and riddled with bugs and bad code, ripping it down and starting all over will allow you to recreate it quickly from your old files also but more efficiently with your new knowledge.
My suggestion is that the primary "gravity slam" could be a burst, while the secondary to get people up in the air coud be a stream.
The gravity lift already flings things like crazy, though. Since fall damage is rather harsh, I hesitate to make you able to just send things flying to their doom in just one hit.
The other thing are Rahkshi powers like teleportation and chameleon, they seem to be a lot weaker then other powers such as fragmentation and hunger. Might just be that they're pretty much limited to only melee attacks, but just something I wanted to point out.
It's mostly the fact that melee is severely limited at this point, really. You got one basic attack, and that's it. No blocking, dodging, directional swings or power attacks; which makes melee rather bad unless you use things like Pakari+Earth Claw to murder everything.

Okay, archives v2.
Thanks, I'll see if I cna't whip up some WIPs of several maps in Photoshop. New maps are always fun to start, and the more environments I have to test in the less boring it becomes to restart the game 20 times in a row to test a new feature.
Could there be a "Campain Mode", famous battles from canon? Will there be 1v1 on Multiplayer?
Former: Maybe. it depends on how much work it becomes to set them up. Latter: Yeah, multiplayer will allow you to customize how any players are allowed at a time.